Icon Announcements!

Posted Image

Posted ImageGerry's OFFICIAL Posted Image Find GALS at Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest - YouTube - MySpace - Statigram & Instagram & Webstagram

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  lugerry : (15 April 2014 - 11:47 PM) Thank you Cheryl!
@  Paisleyscot : (15 April 2014 - 10:29 PM) Happy Anniversary Lu! :yahoo: :Gerritas: :woo: :drink:
@  lugerry : (15 April 2014 - 10:18 PM) Thank you ladies for all the best wishes on my anniversary here - you all are so special!
@  Lady Elissa : (15 April 2014 - 05:15 PM) Happy Galsiversary, Barb! :)
@  BlueJean : (15 April 2014 - 12:38 PM) Happy 8th Galsiversary, Lu - wishing you 8 more! :claphands:  
@  Forbes girl : (15 April 2014 - 09:26 AM) Happy 8th GALSiversary, Barbara "lugerry"!! :gerry:
@  Forbes girl : (15 April 2014 - 09:24 AM) OH MY!!! Those pics!!!! :multicigs: Thanks Barb!!
@  becozy : (15 April 2014 - 08:45 AM) Posted ImagePosted Image Posted ImageGerry at Tamarama Fri. 4/11
@  becozy : (15 April 2014 - 08:35 AM) :metoyou: Lu!
@  zanyzombie : (15 April 2014 - 08:29 AM) Happy 8th GALSiversary Lugerry!! :Mike2:
@  Andrea~mc : (15 April 2014 - 07:14 AM) http://top.de/news/4...glamarama-beach
@  Lady Elissa : (14 April 2014 - 10:12 AM) The results are IN for Gerry Character Survivor 2013! See post 100. http://www.gerardbut...=4#entry1517859
@  becozy : (14 April 2014 - 06:56 AM) Greatest Movie Battle Scene; 300 is one of the movies included. VOTE! It is currently #4 - must be registered and logged into IMDb for the vote to count.  http://www.imdb.com/...5Yc/?ref_=po_ti
Thank you RezzRN for the heads-up on this.  Discussion thread on GALS Forum
@  christy40 : (12 April 2014 - 06:31 PM) http://screenrant.co...-gerald-butler/
@  christy40 : (11 April 2014 - 05:39 PM) http://www.justjared...ld-in-geostorm/
@  sweetquebecer : (11 April 2014 - 12:12 PM) Happy dance!!!!! I know I listen too much Pharrell Williams!!!!
@  sweetquebecer : (11 April 2014 - 12:10 PM) Great and exciting news!!! Way to go Gerard!!!! More movie projects!!!!Awesome!!!!
@  Rendita : (11 April 2014 - 12:10 PM) Gerard Butler to Star in Dean Devlin's 'Geostorm' (Exclusive) http://www.hollywood...r - Top Stories)
@  Rendita : (11 April 2014 - 12:09 PM) {TB EXCLUSIVE} Gerard Butler Lands Lead in Million Dollar Spec Script GEOSTORM http://www.tracking-...cript-geostorm/
@  sweetquebecer : (11 April 2014 - 12:09 PM) I totally agree with you!!! He always look great!!!! Handsome, beautiful Gerard!!!! Simply irresistible!!!! We all spend hours looking at his pictures!!!!! Right???? I know I do!!!!

Photo

That Was Then

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AbandonThought

AbandonThought

Gerry's P.S. I Love You GAL

• Members
  • 2,898 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:57 PM

That Was Then

I was young.

But that was then.

I walk more slowly now. The crunching of the dry leaves under my feet is deafening.

I never stopped to listen to them before. I would run through the woods and never give a second thought to what was going on around me. I'd startle the squirrels and send them skittering. My motion would cause the dogs in the backyards to bark. I'd plow through the spiderwebs suspended between the tree trunks with hardly a thought. I had more important things to think about. I had nothing to think about.

I was young. I was free.

Walking through the old woods now is so eerie. They're familiar, but at the same time seem distorted by the years that have passed. The woods were endless when I used to play here as a child. Now, the homes whose property I'm walking through seem so close I could reach out and touch them. Now, I'm conscious of the yards, the fences, the piles of grass clippings, and the hundred other little things that mark the boundary between one property and another.

It all seemed like community property back then. When I ran through these woods I never stopped to think of whose land I was crossing. As long as I wasn't trampling the flowers or tearing up the grass in the yard, I didn't see how it was anyone's business. It was the woods. Any concept of property that I had was this: the houses and the yards belonged to the adults; the woods belonged to us kids.

It's not far from the edge of my parents' property to the old creek where we used to play. Even walking with the pace of nostalgia, I can see the ditch come into view within a few minutes.

So many hours I spent out here; with Jenny from two houses over, with my brother, or just by myself. I was never averse to playing on my own. That's something from childhood that hasn't changed, I think with a chuckle.

The creek looks tiny now. Nothing more than a trickle of water. The ditch still looks formidable though. The land drops sharply, the muddy banks cut away over years by the stream. The roots of nearby trees protrude from the sides of the ditch.

I walk up and down the creek bed a few times, taking in the sight. I look at the trunks of the felled pine trees that traverse the pit. We used to dance on those! The memory hits me so suddenly that I can't stop myself from laughing out loud. I remember when Jenny and I created a "úroutine" and planned to perform it for the neighborhood. What was it, some sort of strange amalgam of dance and acrobatics? Balancing on the tree trunks... but with rhythm?

Only a child's mind could come up with something like that.

Then there were other times. We'd run across the trees, the plastic guns in our hands. (Sometimes they were Star Trek phasers instead.) I can't really recall if there was a plot to that game. I don't remember if we were on different sides, or if it was supposed to be a war... I think mostly we just ran around, jumping out from behind trees shouting 'bang! bang!' and then yelling 'I got you!' and arguing that the person should lay down for the obligatory five seconds and 'be dead.' How long could that be fun for? I shake my head.

Still, I don't remember ever getting tired of it.

I walk up to the ditch. This is one moment where my perceptions from childhood are reversed. Normally, everything that seemed huge as a kid looks so small when I come back to it. Now though, the ditch looks huge. And deep. After a few second's hesitation, I hop from my perch on the top to the creek bank about five feet below. My knees groan in protest as they take my weight.

Now that's something that never happened when I was a kid.

Still pondering, I walk up and down the bank of the creek, watching the waterbugs skitter across the top of the water where it pools deeply as the stream narrows. I'm feeling very at peace. My mind isn‚'t empty, but it's as close as I've gotten for many years. I remember this feeling; this serenity.

The sound of the stream is familiar too; the tinkling of the water cascading across the pebbles that line the bottom. I take a deep breath and really let myself smell the air. Clean. Crisp. So much of our lives now are spent in the office, or on the freeway. Recirculated air; pollution. When was the last time I had been around so many trees, without a single car in sight? When was it that this had become unusual?

I kick a rock at my feet and send it skittering across the pool of water, sticking in the thick mud on the opposite side.

Who was I back then?

Who am I now?

I should get back. The light above is starting to get pink and soft. Mom probably has dinner ready. This was about the time of day when she would lean out the back door and yell my name and tell me to come wash up.

I climb out of the ditch, using one of those exposed tree roots to gain purchase on the steep edges. It's worn from use. It seems a new generation of kids is now enjoying the creek. Probably playing the same old silly games and making the same old silly memories.

I start to head back toward the house, leaving my nostalgia, leaving my memories. I stop though, and turn back.

I used to leap across this ditch. Running around the woods, playing one of a hundred silly games, I would spread my legs and jump, landing effortlessly on the facing edge. It's so far though! If you misjudged it by just a bit, you could really hurt yourself. I stare at the ditch warily. I couldn't have dreamed all those times I leapt across. No, I definitely did it.

Kids are fearless, I justify with a nod. I probably came close to killing myself hundreds of times. It's probably just dumb luck that I'm alive now, to walk through these woods again. I remember the bruised shins, the skinned knees. I still have a black spot of buried asphalt in my knee from when I tore it open deeply, falling off my scooter. That's why we grow up, isn't it? We gain the wisdom and perspective to see that when we were kids, we were idiots.

I laugh at my pseudo-philosophical interpretation and turn back toward my house.

After only a few steps though, I turn back, with a sudden change of heart and determination in my eyes. I don't let myself think. I just take the two huge strides to the edge of the ditch and push off, stretching my leg out in front of me.

I leap. I fly. Stupidly. Recklessly. My heart pounds. It feels amazing.

Sometimes, kids get it right.

I am young.

Steph

Edited by AbandonThought, 20 April 2010 - 03:40 PM.

#2 TheBlonde

TheBlonde

Gerry's 3 AM GAL

• Mods
  • 9,870 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

• GALS/PALS Name: The Stranger's Blond Bombshell,Champion SkimmerGAL

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:25 AM

Remember when you reach a ditch, "...just take the two huge strides to the edge ... and push off, ... Sometimes, kids get it right."

#3 RandomLanda

RandomLanda

Gerry's 3 AM GAL

• Contributing Member
  • 12,553 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

• GALS/PALS Name: Gerry's Chocolate Dream GAL. Beowulf's Nubian Queen, Keeper of Hrunting

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:45 PM

Steph, that was wonderful. Makes me wish I was a kid again or that I had the courage I had back then at least.

#4 ready2fly

ready2fly

Terry's Kinky GAL

• Contributing Member
  • 641 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:19 PM

I love this Steph! In my opinion that is an example of a perfect day from childhood. The description is so vivid and close to my own memories that I can almost smell the Bactine. :D :goodjob: Bex

#5 AbandonThought

AbandonThought

• Members
  • 2,898 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:38 PM

Hehe, thanks you guys!! :blush: Steph

#6 beacon1

beacon1

Marek's Lady GAL

• Members
  • 457 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

• GALS/PALS Name: Gerry's Cail√≠n Maith (Good Girl)

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:35 PM

VERY impressive. Do you submit your work for publication?

#7 AbandonThought

AbandonThought

• Members
  • 2,898 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:37 PM

VERY impressive. Do you submit your work for publication?

Yes, I do. I just recently started though. :)

Steph

#8 Forbes girl

Forbes girl

Gerry's 3 AM GAL

• Contributing Member
  • 8,558 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

• GALS/PALS Name: Gerry's Colorado Gal

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:28 PM

That was a great story, Steph!!! I'm always so impressed with your style of writing, so professional. You really know how to set the stage and bring the reader into the story visually with your words. I can imagine the scene and feel the memories so clearly. Great descriptions!! You are SO good!!! You WILL be published my dear!! No doubt about it!!

~HUGS~ Kathy

#9 MareksLadyD

MareksLadyD

Gerry's 3 AM GAL

• Contributing Member
  • 7,765 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

• GALS/PALS Name: Mistress of the Lair, Fill me up with Gerry Juice GAL, Marek's chest is my Pillow GAL, Whore-skateer

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:37 PM

VERY nice! You have great images. Truly. Brava

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users