Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Toriblair89 : (25 October 2014 - 08:18 PM) Paisleyscot, yes it works! Thank you so much! I appreciate it! And I'll read through the "how to" as well.
@  becozy : (25 October 2014 - 07:24 PM) Dayna will be updating the Forum...if we go 'dark' or wonky for a bit, that will be the reason! :rose:
@  becozy : (25 October 2014 - 06:49 PM) Elissa, there is a glitch somewhere! I'll pass this on to Dayna. So Sorry for the problem!
@  Lady Elissa : (25 October 2014 - 04:12 PM) Make that "as a protected forum" Doesn't ask for a password, just says the access denied message and contact administrator.
@  Lady Elissa : (25 October 2014 - 04:08 PM) It shows a protected forum on the main list of topics.
@  Lady Elissa : (25 October 2014 - 04:06 PM) Barb, here's what I got when I clicked your shoutbox link:Sorry, we couldn't find that!

[#103139]
You do not have permission to view this forum.
@  Paisleyscot : (25 October 2014 - 03:38 PM) I have your Avis up Tori! Let me know if those are what you wanted.
Here's a link to all the "How To" stuff on GALS.  Very helpful to read through :D
@  becozy : (25 October 2014 - 02:46 PM) Tori am going to ask a graphics mod to help you!
@  becozy : (25 October 2014 - 02:45 PM) Elissa...that is strange! Direct link: http://www.gerardbut...showtopic=46194
@  becozy : (25 October 2014 - 02:41 PM) Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image Gerry's Captain America costume for Halloween!
@  Lady Elissa : (25 October 2014 - 09:29 AM) For some reason, I can't get into Gerry's birthday giving thread. Says it's a protected forum and I'm not authorized to view it. Anyone else having same problem?
@  Lady Elissa : (25 October 2014 - 08:52 AM) Yes, Tori. Post the name you want on the thread and one of the Mods will add it to the list. http://www.gerardbut...ic=27201&page=2
@  Toriblair89 : (25 October 2014 - 08:10 AM) Are newbies bestowed a GALS/PAL name?
@  Toriblair89 : (25 October 2014 - 08:05 AM) @Becozy I sent you a PM with my pic links just incase. Take your time. No rush!!! ��
@  becozy : (24 October 2014 - 08:20 PM) Gerard Butler: icon of Masculinity Esquire, MX 
Posted Image   Posted Image     Posted Image
@  Lady Elissa : (24 October 2014 - 05:47 PM) Anyone else want to vote in the Gerry Character Survivor Game this week? :confused: Remember, voting ends Sunday at 8pm Pacific, 10pm Central, and 11pm Eastern. It's a tight race this week, folks! ;) See post 186 for this week's deets. http://www.gerardbut...ic=46093&page=8
@  Diana D : (24 October 2014 - 04:03 PM) My daughter to me---"It's about time for a Phantom night!!!" :phantom:
@  becozy : (24 October 2014 - 01:48 PM) if the code you paste has 'original' at the end...remove that and it should work! If not send me the PB links and I will add them for you! :D
@  Toriblair89 : (24 October 2014 - 12:11 PM) I'm having trouble with assigning pics in the two areas under our profile pic section when we post. I went to photobucket and tried all the codes. any tips?
@  sweetquebecer : (24 October 2014 - 12:07 PM) May I "borrow" this computer and never bring it back????? There are others anyway!!!!!! I need it to do a "long" research about Scotland, it's not what you think!!!!!

Photo

No Underwear?

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#1 Swansong

Swansong

Gerry's 3 AM GAL

• Contributing Member
  • 9,504 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

• GALS/PALS Name: Swannie Anne

Posted 19 February 2006 - 02:55 PM

Okay, does ANYONE know why Scottish men don't wear anything under their kilts? I can see not wearing anything under their trousers.... but a kilt? Is it because a kilt does not come equipped with a fly? And what if it is cold? I mean, don't their wobbly bits get a bit chilly? I am not complaining, mind you.... I am just curious! :funnyface: :bootyshake: Swan

#2 Suz

Suz

Gerry's 3 AM GAL

• Honorary GALS Angel
  • 5,841 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

• GALS/PALS Name: Streakin For Scotsman GAL

Posted 19 February 2006 - 03:02 PM

I can't answer this one but I bet I know who could. GABRIEL?????WHERE ARE YOU????????????????

#3 Sarah

Sarah

Perviest Moderator

• Emeritus Moderator
  • 5,624 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

• GALS/PALS Name: Dirty Perv Peach GAL- Grrrrrrrr.

Posted 19 February 2006 - 03:25 PM

Swan, so far I have come up with:

The wearing of undergarments with the kilt is a matter of debate. Some believe that underwear should be worn at all times, and going without it is a form of self-indulgence or even exhibitionism. Then there are those who say that underwear should never be worn, and to do so goes against tradition. Thompson1 claims that he never knew of a man who gave it a fair trial that ever went back to wearing underpants with the kilt, and suggests wearing a long-tailed shirt or undershirt to sit on. The majority of wearers have their own preference, and usually have no qualms with whatever anyone else wears (or doesn't wear) beneath their kilt.

The uniforms worn by members of several military regiments mandate "no underwear" with the kilt except at specified occasions, such as playing in the pipe band, where marking time can involve raising the knees, taking part in organised sports like Highland games, or attending functions where ladies are present. As a result, to go without underwear is often referred to as "going regimental" or "military practice". (This is similar to the American military expression of going "commando".) In the 1950s, kilted soldiers on parade would be checked by the sergeant major using a mirror on the end of a stick. In 1994, a Black Watch soldier received wide press exposure, because of windy conditions during a military ceremony in Hong Kong.

In certain instances, underwear may be useful; it is often difficult for someone new and unused to wearing the kilt to remain decent while regimental, especially in a heavy breeze or while dancing. Both one of the oldest kilt makers and the oldest mail order company for Highland attire in Scotland provide underwear designed for the kilt, although most wearers who regularly go with underwear choose ordinary briefs or boxer shorts.

In the end, whether or not underwear is worn on any particular occasion is up to the individual wearer. Whatever decision is made, what a gentleman wears under his kilt is traditionally his own business, and as a rule, polite men will be at pains to keep it so and to preserve the mystique. Thus, the reply to a question on the topic may hint at the answer, but rarely states it outright. Good standard replies if asked are, "Nothing is worn under the kilt. It's all in perfect working order", "The future of bonnie Scotland" or, "Shoes and socks".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilt#Underwear

Also:

As for the comments on the Kilts, being Scottish by heritage, can answer that too. Historically the kilt was worn with what was called a Long Shirt. As someone correctly stated, no underwear per se was worn under the kilt. The kilt, was in actuality a blanket wrapped multiple times around the waist in a prescribed fashion. Instead of underwear, the long shirt was tied between the legs and becaming both underwear of a sort and a one piece body shirt. As a historical side note, the red kilts were generally considered a battle kilt since they hid blood from wounds, whereas the greens and blues were seen as hunting kilts because they helped to hid or cloak the hunter from his prey.

I heard the kilt was a battle dress and a big advantage when there were no portable toilets around. While the enemy laid their morning eggs the kilt wearers were marching on.

#4 Fiona64

Fiona64

Marty's Tongue GAL

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

• GALS/PALS Name: Erik's Alto GAL

Posted 19 February 2006 - 03:26 PM

Undies are a comparatively modern invention, actually. I suspect that's part of the reasoning ... it's in keeping with period attire. Highland athletes do tend to wear boxer-briefs/compression shorts under their kilts when competing; otherwise, the spins that go with hammer toss, etc., could be embarassing. My husband tells people that nothing is worn under his kilt; everything is in perfect order. Another friend of the family told people that what was under his kilt was a wee bagpipe ... and he would then offer to let people blow it. :bleh:

#5 Swansong

Swansong

Gerry's 3 AM GAL

• Contributing Member
  • 9,504 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

Posted 19 February 2006 - 03:26 PM

very interesting..... but it still does not explain the advantage of NOT wearing under garments, or where the tradition began. A "cheeky" mystery hmmmmmm? Swan

#6 Sarah

Sarah

Perviest Moderator

• Emeritus Moderator
  • 5,624 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

Posted 19 February 2006 - 03:27 PM

Swan, I added another article to my first post! That might help explain.

#7 Swansong

Swansong

Gerry's 3 AM GAL

• Contributing Member
  • 9,504 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

Posted 19 February 2006 - 03:32 PM

Undies are a comparatively modern invention, actually. I suspect that's part of the reasoning ... it's in keeping with period attire.

Highland athletes do tend to wear boxer-briefs/compression shorts under their kilts when competing; otherwise, the spins that go with hammer toss, etc., could be embarassing.

My husband tells people that nothing is worn under his kilt; everything is in perfect order. Another friend of the family told people that what was under his kilt was a wee bagpipe ... and he would then offer to let people blow it. :bleh:

OMG Fiona... are most Scottish men so cheeky? Blow his wee bagpipe? Holy crap!

Swan

Swan, so far I have come up with:

The wearing of undergarments with the kilt is a matter of debate. Some believe that underwear should be worn at all times, and going without it is a form of self-indulgence or even exhibitionism. Then there are those who say that underwear should never be worn, and to do so goes against tradition. Thompson1 claims that he never knew of a man who gave it a fair trial that ever went back to wearing underpants with the kilt, and suggests wearing a long-tailed shirt or undershirt to sit on. The majority of wearers have their own preference, and usually have no qualms with whatever anyone else wears (or doesn't wear) beneath their kilt.

The uniforms worn by members of several military regiments mandate "no underwear" with the kilt except at specified occasions, such as playing in the pipe band, where marking time can involve raising the knees, taking part in organised sports like Highland games, or attending functions where ladies are present. As a result, to go without underwear is often referred to as "going regimental" or "military practice". (This is similar to the American military expression of going "commando".) In the 1950s, kilted soldiers on parade would be checked by the sergeant major using a mirror on the end of a stick. In 1994, a Black Watch soldier received wide press exposure, because of windy conditions during a military ceremony in Hong Kong.

In certain instances, underwear may be useful; it is often difficult for someone new and unused to wearing the kilt to remain decent while regimental, especially in a heavy breeze or while dancing. Both one of the oldest kilt makers and the oldest mail order company for Highland attire in Scotland provide underwear designed for the kilt, although most wearers who regularly go with underwear choose ordinary briefs or boxer shorts.

In the end, whether or not underwear is worn on any particular occasion is up to the individual wearer. Whatever decision is made, what a gentleman wears under his kilt is traditionally his own business, and as a rule, polite men will be at pains to keep it so and to preserve the mystique. Thus, the reply to a question on the topic may hint at the answer, but rarely states it outright. Good standard replies if asked are, "Nothing is worn under the kilt. It's all in perfect working order", "The future of bonnie Scotland" or, "Shoes and socks".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilt#Underwear

Also:

As for the comments on the Kilts, being Scottish by heritage, can answer that too. Historically the kilt was worn with what was called a Long Shirt. As someone correctly stated, no underwear per se was worn under the kilt. The kilt, was in actuality a blanket wrapped multiple times around the waist in a prescribed fashion. Instead of underwear, the long shirt was tied between the legs and becaming both underwear of a sort and a one piece body shirt. As a historical side note, the red kilts were generally considered a battle kilt since they hid blood from wounds, whereas the greens and blues were seen as hunting kilts because they helped to hid or cloak the hunter from his prey.

I heard the kilt was a battle dress and a big advantage when there were no portable toilets around. While the enemy laid their morning eggs the kilt wearers were marching on.

Thanks for the second article Sarah.... now THAT makes sense. So that's why they wear the fluffy long white shirts as well. Pairsonally, I wish more men would wear kilts and all the goodies that go with them!

Swan

#8 Fiona64

Fiona64

Marty's Tongue GAL

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

Posted 19 February 2006 - 03:33 PM

OMG Fiona... are most Scottish men so cheeky? Blow his wee bagpipe? Holy crap!

Swan

In my experience, the answer is yes ...

The guy who said that was a friend of my dad's through the Masonic lodge, fercryin'outloud ... and he said that to someone at my dad's installation as Worshipful Master. Duncan had told my dad he wouldn't be able to make it because he had a piping engagement ... so imagine our delight when Duncan came through the door, pipes a-sounding, in full kit because he was done in time to come to the reception.

I was about 16 at the time ... and I think it was Duncan who informed my fascination with Scotsmen.

Unfortunately, he's no longer with us ... but I'll never forget the "wee bagpipe" incident.

#9 Swansong

Swansong

Gerry's 3 AM GAL

• Contributing Member
  • 9,504 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

Posted 19 February 2006 - 03:40 PM

I think American men could do with some of that cheekiness. Maybe if they walked around in kilts without undies... it would just sort of come naturally! I have a fascination with Scottish culture too, Fiona. Actually, my Grandma Stewart bought me my own kilt in our tartan plaid when I was a little girl. I was so proud of that thing! There was even a little cap that went along with it (I wore tights under mine LOL). I wonder if I will ever get to go to Scotland.... Swan

#10 Fiona64

Fiona64

Marty's Tongue GAL

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

Posted 19 February 2006 - 04:06 PM

I think American men could do with some of that cheekiness. Maybe if they walked around in kilts without undies... it would just sort of come naturally!

I have a fascination with Scottish culture too, Fiona. Actually, my Grandma Stewart bought me my own kilt in our tartan plaid when I was a little girl. I was so proud of that thing! There was even a little cap that went
along with it (I wore tights under mine LOL).

I wonder if I will ever get to go to Scotland....

Swan

I didn't get to Scotland until our honeymoon, which was a wonderful experience (get your minds out of the gutter ... Scotland is amazing).

I think that European men in general are just more flirtatious ...and much more subtle about it (the wee bagpipe incident notwithstanding). I guess they are just taught to appreciate women more or something ... I don't know how to explain it. However, the men I've met from abroad just generally were more suave, better mannered ... and downright funny/cheeky.

Maybe my husband, our Gabriel, and some of the other Scots of my acquaintance could teach a charm school ... :funnyface: :lol:

#11 Sarah

Sarah

Perviest Moderator

• Emeritus Moderator
  • 5,624 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

Posted 19 February 2006 - 05:22 PM

However, the men I've met from abroad just generally were more suave, better mannered ... and downright funny/cheeky.

Well, I agree! I have worked with a Scotsman, and he could say "Fook" all he liked. It just kinda sounds charming from them!

#12 Suz

Suz

Gerry's 3 AM GAL

• Honorary GALS Angel
  • 5,841 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:27 PM

I think those Scots just like having easy access.

#13 Gabriel

Gabriel

Scottish Accent PAL Angel

• Honorary GALS Angel
  • 1,283 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:28 PM

Underwear is unnecessarily..restrictive an ticht...an...bloody painful. We prefer greater mobility for the G. area.. Thay need tae breath..the mair ye sweit..the mair..uncomgortable, ye feel. underwear are sae unsatisfactory, acause thay retain moisture... The Kilt allow moisture tae evaporate..it lats the skin breath...underwear, restrict leg movement..e'vn reduce sperm count.. health benifits are huge...but that waud tak tae lang tae type.... its an aw ah maiter o tradition an Scottish Pride...... Wich wad ye raither be... Hot an claggie..O Free an breezy. :mopboyerik: Gabriel.... Aye.... Regiment... :barebum:

Edited by Gabriel, 19 February 2006 - 07:42 PM.

#14 Swansong

Swansong

Gerry's 3 AM GAL

• Contributing Member
  • 9,504 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:34 PM

Oh aye, Gabriel.... so that's why Scottish men are so darn sexy! Nice to hear it from the real thing! *thud* Thanks for sharing! Swan

#15 Gabriel

Gabriel

• Honorary GALS Angel
  • 1,283 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:38 PM

A dont knaw....
A wis thinkin mair for the Lasses..

Gabriel....
:mopboyerik:

#16 Suz

Suz

Gerry's 3 AM GAL

• Honorary GALS Angel
  • 5,841 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:41 PM

A dont knaw....

Gabriel....

:bleh:

#17 Gabriel

Gabriel

• Honorary GALS Angel
  • 1,283 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:45 PM

A dont knaw....

Gabriel....

Richt back at ye.....
:tasty: :tasty: :tasty: :tasty: :tasty:
Gabriel..
-----<-@

#18 Suz

Suz

Gerry's 3 AM GAL

• Honorary GALS Angel
  • 5,841 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:46 PM

A dont knaw....

Gabriel....

Richt back at ye.....
:tasty: :tasty: :tasty: :tasty: :tasty:
Gabriel..
-----<-@

:cunning: :cunning: :cunning: :cunning:

#19 becozy

becozy

Miss Congeniality Admin

• Admins
  • 16,925 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

• GALS/PALS Name: The Lady VonKinkilla

Posted 19 February 2006 - 09:17 PM

:rotflmao: and...Suz and Gabriel! :kisswink: err...that's a rose -----<@ :cunning: isn't it??? Hugs, a confused and gullible Barb :dance3:

#20 Susan~Sporran

Susan~Sporran

Erection Supervisor Admin

• Admins
  • 9,852 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

• GALS/PALS Name: Tet-signed & Tattooed GerAdamaholic FANmily GAL with a charitable purpose

Posted 19 February 2006 - 09:54 PM

Free and breezy, I like.

The tour guides in Scotland love to talk about the history of the kilt, from back in the much, much earlier days when it was made from just a single long (8 or 9 yards) of fabric. And yes, "easy access" for the ladies was one of the benefits mentioned - when the man came home from battling the bloody English (or whoever they were battling then) he could just unfurl the kilt, use it as a blanket, and be ready for his lady with no further obstacles or encumbrances. I do believe those cheeky tour guides got a kick out of telling this to a bus load of mostly American women. Unfortunately by today's sensibilities the traditional kilted Highlander would have been hard on a lady's olfactory glands because he bathed but once or twice a year, and a kilt was NEVER washed, it was originally coated with animal fat to make it waterproof (important out there in the elements) and was "disinfected" about as often as its owner bathed, in a solution I don't think ANYONE really wants to read about, but suffice it to say it did not contain soap or water. As one of our guides, who is a huge Outlander fan, told us Jamie Fraser would NOT have been such a romantic figure realistically back in the mid-1700's. :flee:

#21 Swansong

Swansong

Gerry's 3 AM GAL

• Contributing Member
  • 9,504 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

Posted 19 February 2006 - 10:14 PM

A dont knaw....

Gabriel....

Gabriel.... how considerate of you! :barebum:

Swan

#22 Anna

Anna

OneTwo's Gangsta GAL

• Contributing Member
  • 3,147 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

• GALS/PALS Name: Gerard's 3am Handmaiden

Posted 20 February 2006 - 04:02 AM

:mrkilty: Well Swan and Gals this is one topic I can speak of with real experience! My kilt-wearing sweetie has never wore anything under his kilt all the years I have known him, he considers it 'Being a Jessie', a softie not to do so, infact he is here with me for this post....only this one though! It is his opinion that if he is wearing a good heavy kilt, the weight makes him feel comfortable, he likes the lenghth on his knee and showing only a glimpse of the knee. I make sure that his sporran will need a gale force wind to lift by using it as a purse...I keep my valuables next to 'his'. A naked bottom is such a tease anyway if the wind lifts the back of the kilt, or little old ladies for a lark! I have been banned as of now, and was made to swear an oath on a Celtic scarf, that I will not publish the photo of him and his friend taken last year when they were very drunk and had painted an eye on each buttock. this was their way of getting back at respective spouses by raising the back of the kilt if asked to refill our non-alcoholic drinks! 'Aye Aye Ma'am' will never be the same again. It would seem it is an old Royal Navy tradition! Sorry, got to go, he threatening to do same to me, and I'll do anything to get him into his kilt! :tasty: :tasty: :tasty: Anna :hearts:

Edited by Anna, 20 February 2006 - 11:31 AM.

#23 DiamondDonna

DiamondDonna

Gerracula's Bad GAL

• Members
  • 355 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

• GALS/PALS Name: Gerry's She-Cat

Posted 20 February 2006 - 04:10 AM

Once again, when asked by my husband why I spend so much time on this site, I can honestly say that I visit this site to expand my education. :mrkilty: The thudworthy pics & videos and all the GALS are strictly secondary... ::D: Donna

#24 Suz

Suz

Gerry's 3 AM GAL

• Honorary GALS Angel
  • 5,841 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:11 AM

:rotflmao:

and...Suz and Gabriel! :kisswink:

Barb :dance3:

:kisswink: to you too Barb. ::D:

#25 Adoring

Adoring

Erik's Angel GAL

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • Where Are You From?:

• GALS/PALS Name: Everything's Better With Butler GAL

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:12 AM

A dont knaw....

Gabriel....

AYE!!!

Thank you Gabe for the best reasons yet!!! Sometimes a man just has to make sense 'o things for the lassies.

My girlfriends love sending me pictures of Scottish men sitting about or walking over wind tunnels as such with glimpses of male anatomy. God bless my thoughtful friends for adding such delightful images to my day.

And for those of us who love Jamie Fraser, ye sairtenly canna peckchur our luvly hunk wearin anythin to hender hes pairformance, right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users