HELD IN A GORGEOUS SETTING , I DID A IMPROMTO

SURVEY FOR MY PERSONAL INSIGHT !!!

ASKING THE QUESTION OF THE ATTEDNDEES

" IS IT HIS MIND OR IS IT HIS BODY "

Posted Image

JUST A SIMPLE QUESTION THAT I THOUGHT WOULD

BE OVERWHELMINGLY ANSWERED BY THE " BODY "

TO MY DISMAY I FOUND OUT THAT " MIND "

WAS THE OVERWHELMING ANSWER BY A 2 TO 1 MARGIN !!!

AND SO WE GO ON WITH LIFE -

LIVING AND LEARNING AS WE GO !!!

Is it bad that I like angry Gerry? I mean.... he's got that kind of dangerous *don't mess with me thing* and it's sort of a turn on. You know that on the inside, he's all marshmallow... but sometimes those peircing eyes and those grinding teeth make me shiver! (guess it's sort of an Erik thing, LOL)

Swannie

Actually, Swannie, it's a Scorpio thing. I know another one with dark brown, almost black, eyes that you really should see flare. It will scare you. It's always about stupidity though. He doesn't flare at

ignorance, just stupidity. I think that is Gerry's boiling point as well. Scorpion men are SOOOOO

smart, brilliant acutally, and they just don't do stupid. Their tolerance runs out there. I see Gerry having to come down intellectually to converse with most people. My brother and sister were like that,

you can see it in his eyes if you know what you're looking for. I've lived with my sibblings having to come down a notch, or two notches, or MANY notches to converse on different people's levels. They learned very young to do that and I know it didn't bother them, they just naturally adjusted to whomever they were dealing with. I'm amazed that Gerry, being in his field, and having to deal with far more idiots than most people do, doesn't loose his patience much more often. He is a tower of emotional strenght and compassion. Genius is usally compassionate, it has to be. I love him so much for who he is and that he is honest. He is SO REAL, and that is the one thing you see so little of in Hollywood. People in the entertainment are TRAINED to be something they are totally not. In the old studio days they gave actors a name and a PERSONALITY to portray. But in those days, you rarely saw the STARS outside of the movie theatre. I'm so glad Gerry is NOT HOLLYWOOD, but rather a REAL

PERSON. He hides nothing from the world. He is who he really is. THAT TAKES COURAGE!! REAL

COURAGE!! I don't know many who have that kind of courage. GOD BLESS YOU GERRY!! Anything you say and do is OK with me as long as you keep being YOUR PRECIOUS SELF!!

Sandy

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR " INSIGHT "

INTELLECTUAL PEOPLE KNOW FIRST HAND TO EVALUATE THE SITUATION AND

THUS TO MOLD THEIR RESPONCE TO THE " SITUATION " AT HAND !!!

HE IS SO REAL " BECAUSE HE KNOWS WHO HE IS IN HIS OWN MIND ( OR SHOULD BY NOW )

AS THEY SAY " TO THINE OWN SELF BE TRUE " AND IMHO IS A GREAT STARTING POINT FOR ALL.

HE IS WHO HE IS !!!

NOT PERFECT BUT A REAL HUMAN BEING

WARTS AND ALL !!!

DLSPBS - PAT :rose:

I can't beleive we're still on this topic . . . where's that poor dead horse??????

:funnyup: My thoughts exactly! Y'all said all there was to be said days ago.

HAHAHA, WELL I'LL JUST SAY GERRY IS HAWT AND GERRY HAS IT ALL IN MY BOOK! :wave: :wave:

Oh there it is!!!! Posted Image

This has been an interesting thread to read. I think part of the reason that the discussion continues is that there are so many facets to the man that we love to consider. I love what you said, Katie.

He's got his strong points and his weak points, just like all the rest of us. I really care about him, and part of the reason is because I KNOW he's not perfect! :wuv: But as the song says, he's "close enough to perfect, for me." :pant:

I agree that it's the imperfections that he lets us see that makes him interesting. While I don't for a second think I know the real Gerry, the sides to his personality that he reveals just continue to fascinate me. He's intelligent, witty and sarcastic. Not to mention talented. Oh yeah, drop dead sexy too. :yummy:

I can't beleive we're still on this topic . . . where's that poor dead horse??????[/b]

It's obviously an interesting one...throughout the years this topic in various forms has always come up...usually starts out as something new and eventually all roads lead to what we see in Gerry, appreciate in him, don't appreciate in him. They are always lively discussions, and usually popular. That says to me...this is something people enjoy exploring. I love it!

I guess for me, I see the same quirks, flaws, "human" characteristics in pretty much any actor or celebrity I take a few moments to read about or watch in an interview. They're all human...Gerry included. Certainly I don't relate to all of them (can't think of much I have in common with Britney Spears or Tom Cruise)...but usually I find that they are neat people who are far from perfect. Gerry certainly fits the bill.

Gosh...who was it I just happened to stumble across today? (wasting time at school now that the students are gone for summer)...Oh I know! Alec Guinness (original Obi-Wan Kenobi). There's someone I had never given a second thought to...and I happened to run across a little bio of him online for some reason and he was a fascinating man. Very quiet, simple, private. It made me want to watch his other films (I didn't realize he's a two time Oscar winner either....all I Knew about him was Obi-Wan)

So many actors have come from rather difficult backgrounds, or at least went through difficult times in their past. Many battle substance abuse and find the will to overcome it. Many have a strong sense of family. Many give to charities and do good things for others. And I really have Gerry to thank for opening my eyes to that. I had never paid attention to what celebrities do beyond their work...except for the occasional unavoidable tabloid story that jumped out at me in the supermarket line. But when you actually look up the folks that you enjoy on screen...you often discover a fascinating human being. And I think that's neat.

I agree with you as well. There are lots of celebrities out there that bring a lot more to the table than just some mindless performance in some silly movie. They put their whole heart and soul into their roles and do their best to have a positive impact on the world. But for whatever reason, I continue to be drawn to a certain qualities in Gerry that absolutely fascinate me. And also, because of him, I have found some wonderful friendships here on GALS. It's all good. We're here for all sorts of different reasons and hopefully our fandom brings something positive into our lives.

Prior to Gerry, I never actually followed anyone's career. It's been an education learning little bits here and there about the film industry as well as expanding my knowledge of the internet and even expanding my computer skills.

To answer the question - Do I accept the "Real" Gerry? You betcha. Flaws and all. :kisswink:

Dead horses and Gerry are not compatible....Just mention Gerard Butler and you can get a conversation going full steam ahead. These little "chats" and posts are what makes this fan site so darn much fun and being a Gerry fan so interesting and provocative. I really enjoy reading all the postings and hope we never wear out the glorious object of so much affection......

Dead horses and Gerry are not compatible....Just mention Gerard Butler and you can get a conversation going full steam ahead. These little "chats" and posts are what makes this fan site so darn much fun and being a Gerry fan so interesting and provocative. I really enjoy reading all the postings and hope we never wear out the glorious object of so much affection......

I agree...and it's nice to have a conversation about something besides what he looks like. I know there are those still in the honeymoon phase (heck, I was for about two years LOL)...but after awhile, there has to be something else!

And I believe the individual approaches to being a fan...and to the man himself...reveal a lot about a person. It's fascinating to see the varous levels of admiration and devotion here...and the reasoning behind it. Not that I think this type of discussion is for everyone. Some people don't like to analyze why they are a fan, or why they like Gerry so much (or why they no longer like him as much as they used to)...but some people obviously do...from the looks of this topic.

I find not only the man to be interesting...but the dynamics involved within the community of fans. And I learn a lot about myself through these discussions too!

I don't think there is anyone here who is only into Gerry's looks. Pretty sure not one of us! There may be some still in the "honeymoon" stage, but for the most part we all know that Gerry is the real deal.

Okay, I'll share this with everyone: Gerry is my inspiration and my mentor. This year teaching has been HELL for me, and I finally decided to give it up and try writing. He inspires me to not live one more second miserable. And you know why? This is why:

"I told my mum I wanted to be an actor and it stayed with me, but of course I decided to get something relatively tangible but that didn’t satisfy my soul in the slightest.

So, if that’s what you want to do just follow your heart, because you only get this one life.

If I was only into Gerry's looks, I wouldn't still be around cause there were a few months when he wasn't lookin' so hot. :lol:

No, the man's beauty comes from the inside out, ladies. I was into Jonathan Rhys-Meyers for a while, and he's just a pretty face. So, that "crush" went nowhere. Nope, with Gerry, it's all about what's inside his heart, his soul and his mind.

Gerry means the world to me. His goodness brought me out of a 6 year funk; his humor gave me a reason to laugh again; his generosity gave me faith again; his love for his mother made me proud to be the mother of two boys; his sweetness made me feel appreciated. Yes, there is more to Gerard Butler than his looks . . .

and I accept the real Gerry without reservation and unconditionally.

Lisa

Edited by phoenixgirl

And the great thing about any internet conversation/thread is if you don't feel like joining in, you don't have to!! :lol: But it gives folks a chance to share and that's how we get to know each other.

Lots of different ways that folks experience and express their fandom. That's what makes this little corner of the world go 'round. Gotta love it. :wuv:

:hugs: to all!

Okay, I'll share this with everyone: Gerry is my inspiration and my mentor. This year teaching has been HELL for me, and I finally decided to give it up and try writing. He inspires me to not live one more second miserable.

Oh Lisa, I'm sorry you've had a bad year. How long have you been teaching? It can certainly be stressful, I know the feeling. I've only been at it about six years...and there have been times (especially in the first three years) that I thought I'd lose my mind. I would literally stand in the shower in the morning crying, not wanting to face the day. (Gosh that sounds horrible now!)

But amazingly...I stuck it out. And now, I can honestly say I've finally gotten over that rough patch and I actually enjoy my job and feel like I'm good at it. It's still a job...and between the kids driving you nuts, and administration breathing down your neck...No Child Left Behind...and all the rest of the headaches...it's still a pretty good gig. Lots of time off...which I love.

I can totally relate to what you're saying though. Gerry was instrumental in inspiring me to start writing again as well. Nothing has come of it yet (aside from some saucy fanfics LOL), but I still vow and declare I'll be published one of these days.

I hate to hear you are giving up teaching. But if you don't love it...it's probably best. Good luck with your writing!

Goodness that was so off-topic. Ummm...I accept Gerry...real, unreal, or otherwise.

I don't think there is anyone here who is only into Gerry's looks. Pretty sure not one of us! There may be some still in the "honeymoon" stage, but for the most part we all know that Gerry is the real deal.

I agree, and I also think there are many of us that are still in the "honeymoon" stage and that, to me, has nothing to do with being only into Gerry's looks! Am I wrong?

We are all excited and passionate about Gerry for many different reasons...mind, body, and soul...he brings out the best in some of us, and seemingly the worst in others.

Is one person's reason for loving him any better than another person's reason? I don't think so. Aren't we all still GALS in the end? When did we become so judgmental of each other when one of us doesn't share the same outlook???

OMFB!

And the great thing about any internet conversation/thread is if you don't feel like joining in, you don't have to!! :lol: But it gives folks a chance to share and that's how we get to know each other.

Lots of different ways that folks experience and express their fandom. That's what makes this little corner of the world go 'round. Gotta love it. :wuv:

:hugs: to all!

Exactly Jill! which is why this horse may go into a coma from time to time, but will probably never die :lol:

Exactly Jill! which is why this horse may go into a coma from time to time, but will probably never die :lol:

LOL. So in essence all we're doing is beating a comatose horse. And there's certainly nothing wrong with that!

LOL. So in essence all we're doing is beating a comatose horse. And there's certainly nothing wrong with that!

You're advocating cruelty to animals? To horses? You of all people? I'm shocked, just shocked.

Anyhow, I don't think this topic is beating a dead horse. As long as there's someone out there who might still want to add their two cents, it's still a valid discussion.

At the moment, I'm too lazy...and Luv knows where I stand. ;)

:funnyup: ha fooking ha! :lol: Let's say that said horse wakes up from said coma for long enough to work us all into a frenzy then drops of into dreamland for an undisclosed amount of time until awakened again :rotflmao:

:funnyup: ha fooking ha! :lol: Let's say that said horse wakes up from said coma for long enough to work us all into a frenzy then drops of into dreamland for an undisclosed amount of time until awakened again :rotflmao:

I believe you just described the unrelenting symptoms of GALS. :lol:

'BUT....I say, the day I give up chocolate is the day Gerry will stop smoking.'

Alice.

Just wanted to know Alice, did you give up the chocolate?

:wuv: Anna X

Edited by Anna

Hello Gerry fans,

With the tremendous number of public appearances, interviews and articles in relation to the release of 300.... I think we are seeing the real Gerry emerge from all the new information we are being treated to.

Many of us fell for one of Gerry's characters, before we ever even knew who the actor was, and in some cases, our infatuation of Gerry, may be the result of infatuation with one or more his characters. For some of us... finding out just who the real Gerry Butler is, could be a difficult dose of reality. I'm already seeing this phenomenon across most of the fansites... as Gerry seems to be feeling confident enough now, to reveal his rougher edges.

I think what we see here, is a very complex man who refuses to be confined to anyone's box of acceptable behavior; how he should talk, who he should date, and how he should conduct himself at public events. Discussions are starting to pop up in fandom in regards to Gerry's colorful language, flippant gestures and sometimes roguish behavior. Some of the fans are shocked by photos of him flipping off reporters, or by how frequently he uses the F-bomb, or by his off color and often sexually frank humorous remarks. A few fans have expressed that they wish he would temper the bad boy side of his nature, and try to act more mature. Some fans find his attitude towards women degrading, and some do not appreciate his raunchier sense of humor.

I see Gerry as a man of huge contrasts: he is on the one hand; charming, gentle and sweet.... a guy who loves his mum and genuinely goes out of his way to help people he cares for. He has that sort of puppy dog goofy demonstrative side, who loves to hug and kiss, and who is very generous with his affections, but he also has his well defined personal boundaries.... and has been known to bark when they are crossed. He is self effacing, warm and hilariously funny... and seems to enjoy his own jokes more than anyone else. His quick wit is razor sharp, he is gregarious and utterly engaging, but he can also be moody and sullen... needing time to get inside his head, away from the spotlight and away from his adoring fans. I think he is a man who struggles with crippling insecurities... even when on the outside, he appears self confident... some say, even cocky.

He is capable of acting the perfect gentleman.... debonaire and gracious, a man who can hobnob with the upper crust, and socialize comfortably with any group. Gerry appears to have a very caring way about him, and has been known to do amazing things to show his fans his appreciation, and this is one of the qualities that have endeared him to his legions of female fans.

However, as with all human beings... Gerry has flaws or quirks... personality traits that some people may find less than appealing. He has a temper and and can be visibly irritable in certain stressful circumstances. He is known to be habitually late for appointments, and is admittedly disorganized.

He says himself, he is a man of extremes, and he seems to be searching for more stability and spiritual peace in his life.

Gerry is the yin and the yang... both dark and light. A naughty boy rogue in one setting... and then the gentle soul who tears up with his romantic and poetic sensibilities in another.

I think our Gerry still has a bit of the Glasgow streets in him; tough and combative when he needs to be.... and NO body's pushover.

It may be, that through the role of Lenonidas, Gerry has reconnected with that tougher aspect of himself, while at the same time... he is still the sweet and kind hearted softie we all adore. I don't think that will ever change

So who is the real Gerry?

I say...they are all the real Gerry.

So my question to you fans is this: can you accept him as he is? Can you enjoy the rougher and more raw; cussing, abrupt and impatient Gerry... just as he is, without expecting or wanting him to change? Can you still remain a fan, as more of his imperfections and quirks are revealed... and can you stand beside him, if there are things about him you really don't like at all?

I think we need to be prepared, that as he becomes the target of the press, and as we learn more about him.... there will be unflattering moments captured and witnessed. There will be situations where his humanity and vulnerability are on display.

Will those things diminish him in your eyes? Does your opinion of Gerry as a person, directly influence your appreciation for him as an actor...or can you separate the "man" from his craft?

As for me.... I will admit, I have never "known" anyone quite like Gerry... and he has challenged many of my conceptions about what is acceptable, or even charming behavior. That said, I now know without reservation, that I can and do accept those rougher edges of his blustery, charming and irresistible personality. Plain and simple, I adore the man as he is, and would never want him to change or conform to mine or anyone else's standards.

I have the utmost respect for his passionate individuality, and each time another layer is peeled away.... my heart seems prepared to take it all in.

So....what do you all have to say about this? :kisswink:

I am anxious to hear your thoughts!

Swannie

Swannie,

I am so sorry I never saw this until this morning. You are a true woman of fantastic insight. I have been telling my friends these very things about Gerry for years and they look at me as if I were nuts. I get comments about his "obnoxious behavior" and his desire to not be harrassed by the 'razzie, or even comments, "he's not so much to look at"!!!!!!!! That one above all the others hurts me a lot! The man is the most awesome man I have ever seen and heard and watched. He is all and more of the wonderful things you have said about him. ALL people have these traits in their character and some are more pronounced than others, but ALL are Gerry and ALL I accept with my whole heart and soul. He was, is and always will be the IT man for me. I'd be afraid if he were soooooo good. He is a perfect 'human man'. All his qualities make up the him that is him. He is so human which is what made me fall so totally in love with him when I saw him in "Mrs. Brown". You can see Gerry in Archie. Or at least I could. My kids thought I was crazy when I told them about Gerry as Archie. They saw him and they were sure I was crazy. They have now totally changed their tunes. They now see some of the qualities that I have raved about for eleven years. I love to hear him talk and I don't care what he says. He has more than earned the right to say what he wants. I agree with his vocabulary and his right to say to the 'razzie what he does, and give them the one finger salute. I would too if I couldn't even get to have a run, or buy coffee, or go the store for a few groceries. It's going to get so he won't even be able to go out the door. He should buy a house waaaaaayyyyy back in the woods, like in Galena, Il. in a place called "Eagle Ridge Territory". The houses are awesome and very private. Set way back off the road in the trees and everyone there would leave him alone. Nobody minds any one's business but thier own, like my neighborhood. Everyone here is of different nationalities and there is no minding anyone's business. My heart goes out to our Gerry when I see the 'razzie stuff and I turn it off and leave Gerry to his privacy.

I was so proud of Gerry when he said no to that girl when she asked him if she could have her pic taken with him. What utter gall!! I guess I have too many manners, I would never presume to have said that to any movie star, but especially Gerry, my one and only movie star. I would have loved a pic with him, but not on his own time. Just the thrill of seeing him would have made my life so wonderful.

With all his faults and flaws and human traits, he is still the only man I can ever love so completely. He is the "EPITOME of AWESOME" in every way a person can be. I love Gerry as a Mom would love her wonderful Son. I envy his Mum, she is very lucky to have raised him and know he loves her so. I am proud of him for that alone, all the rest is a wonderful addition to the total man. She has got to be an awesome Mum to have raised such and awesome Son.

Again, I'm sorry I didn't see this until today. But I thank you for your very wonderful words and descriptions of this beautiful human man. I hope he never changes except for what he wants to change.

Hugs,

Joanna

I didn't see this until recently too. And I am going to say that YES! I can handle Gerry the way he is because he is real and doesn't apologize for it! I can imagine getting in a fight with him though because I have a temper too. :D

That latest video I saw frosted my hide and I would probably have gotten in trouble if I had been there. I could take great pleasure in getting in the way of the cameras. :cunning:

Well since I've spent so much time reading and catching up here I feel that I have to take a whack at the poor ole dead horse too! I have to say to Swannie, as usual you have started a very interesting thread, Kudos!I am going to say as far as my answer "who am I to say whether I would accept anyone at any given time for any given reason?" And to put it as nice as possible I really am not here to ask anyone to accept me! But with that said....Gerry is now and probably always be my number one Hun!

Luv, I just want to say to you that I admire your reasoning for your post and also your complete honesty. I too have had days that I felt like Gerry has changed from an insure, maybe star struck, but charismatic and some times cutely goofy..oh yeah, I know you won't like this but......extremely HOT young new face in Gollywood! I think he's still cutely goofy but with a little more reserve now and maybe just a wee bit of the Hotness has worn off...JMO girls... BUT as far as his acting ability in my mind and from what i've seen I think the way he takes on each role with such zest and heart ...this alone makes him one of your better actors today! I am not saying I like all his movies either...cause honestly I don't but they are part of my collection and one I won't ever give up! Because .......even if I don't like the movie.....I LOVE looking at the ......oh oh.....HOTNESS! I can't help it...he is my fantasy and that's my story and I'm sticking to it! I will say he was looking a little rough there for a while but so what...he cleans up well! I think cause I like his clean shaven look better than his scruffy look....but if he were to show up at my door with his unshaven face and in some sloppy looking gear I certainly wouldn't turn him away! :cunning: I might wanna shave him though..... :p

Anyway, this has been an interesting thread and because of Luv's own honest opinion it has turned into an 18 page discussion so I see nothing wrong with that. Especially when it's usually a boring Sunday anyway! I think everyone had a point to make and of course felt that they wanted to express their own take on this subject.

Lastly, I just want to say then when I first saw Gerry (in Attila) I was blown away by his good looks and not his acting. I think since then he has refined his technique (but not his American accent) and now I can say he is a "Fine looking Hot actor"....BTW...I used to own a pair of pretty pink lensed glasses.....would they be considered Rose colored? :unsure:

:D Frannie

Edited by ladyfran

Wow, I honestly didn't know that much about Gerry. I'm afraid I had to laugh because while I was reading the topic I realized he was a lot like me but in a yang way. Where he can social with anyone I seem to come right out and say "I hate people".

I prefer a calmer setting away from people and close to nature. I know it sounds silly but I like to watch the clouds go by and wonder where they just came from. Were these clouds once over England or Texas and now traveled my way.

Everyone has yin and yang in them. I think we forget when seeing stars on film and stage that they are only human. Some people fight their demons all their lives while other conquer them, learn and grow.

I think I can survive being a Gerry fan, he's only human...............

Edited by Avivid Mind

:wave:

swannie, I think you have pretty much discribed Gerry in total. And I have already accepted him in all those capacities. :wuv:

As far as I can surmise, Gerard seems a caring, generous and loving human being. Of course he'll get his off days like anyone else. I too thought that he handled the public very well when that woman pestered him for a photo with him. He showed composure and strength and had the confidence just to say, "No".

I have often wondered what on earth I am doing being a fan of his. I realise that I am drawn to 'him'. Of everything that I have ever read, heard and seen of him, I always come to the conclusion that Gerard is a very special person. He has a depth to him that I can relate to. Of late, his spiritual quest to India, to find an inner peace and an understanding of all that is, really touched me deeply. I have spent most of my life pondering the same thoughts.

To conclude then, for me, Gerard is a loving soul that I think is on a journey in this life to spread love and happiness wherever he goes. Whether it be through his work, his films, his business ventures, his charity work and all the things he probably does for others that we will never know about, he will continue to strive and achieve. And even on his bad days, he'll be giving of himself in one way or another.

I love him, pure and simply, for these reasons.

To conclude then, for me, Gerard is a loving soul that I think is on a journey in this life to spread love and happiness wherever he goes. Whether it be through his work, his films, his business ventures, his charity work and all the things he probably does for others that we will never know about, he will continue to strive and achieve. And even on his bad days, he'll be giving of himself in one way or another.

I love him, pure and simply, for these reasons.

Beautifully put, Jackie!

AND

Posted Image

Edited by phoenixgirl

As for me.... I will admit, I have never "known" anyone quite like Gerry... and he has challenged many of my conceptions about what is acceptable, or even charming behavior. That said, I now know without reservation, that I can and do accept those rougher edges of his blustery, charming and irresistible personality. Plain and simple, I adore the man as he is, and would never want him to change or conform to mine or anyone else's standards.

I totally agree here. He seems to be a unique individual...hes goofy, funny, but yet he can be an a$$; flipping the finger, which i think is directed toward the paparazzi, whom probably deserve it! Watching him during interviews...he makes me laugh because of how he conducts himself. It don't matter...everyone is different and had their pluses and minuses! :clap: Gerry IS the MAN! :rockon: GERRY!!!

:hugssnogs:

TONi*