Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Swansong

The Real Gerry

Welcome, Welcome Jackie!!!

I'm sorry I am such a pokey butt. I just saw today that you are a newbie. This is an awesome site for us Gerry lovers and you will have a great time here. Lots of super, great GALS and a couple of neato PALS. Enjoy!!!

Joanna

Edited by Joanna

I love that Gerry is not a phoney and that he is himself in all situations and circumstances. I love the different sides of him, both the tougher side and as well as the softer side....Dang...he is just a beautiful human being that we all love and adore.....Gerry don't change for anyone Darling..you are perfect just as you are!! Love you!!!

Edited by Ballerina

Welcome, Welcome Jackie!!!

I'm sorry I am such a pokey butt. I just saw today that you are a newbie. This is an awesome site for us Gerry lovers and you will have a great time here. Lots of super, great GALS and a couple of neato PALS. Enjoy!!!

Joanna

Hi Joanna,

Glad to see you here again. I am getting a kick of all these posts. I never think of him much as a separate being, as I am so enamoured of the Phantom persona. I have seen some things that say he is living in L.A. I am sorry that he did not stay in the UK. L.A. is such a cesspot, I hate to see him dragged into that sick culture out there. I don't care if his language is bad sometimes, so is mine, and i have been working for years to clean up my potty mouth. I am doing pretty good. I remember years ago a friend told me that I had better clean up my language, or the first thing out of my son's mouth(then age 1 and a half) would be "@$%&**^@@$". Guess what were the first things out of his mouth????-LOL.

Unfortunately, our children pick up our bad habits more often than our good ones. I truly don't feel that Gerry, if he is such a great guy, would want the first thing out of his first child's mouth to be" &$%#@*&^". It's too late for my son-he is in his 30's too. Now he has to make the change. If I had to do it over again, would I still cuss?? Hopefully not, although by our age it becomes a real chore to erase years of foul language.

Spartandax

Guest Pilar

Gotta take issue with the cesspot comment ...

My self being born and raised there, L.A. has many positive aspects as well. Warm sunshine all year round....the Pacific ocean in our back yard...many diverse cultures, etc.

Seems to me G likes it too, given that he visited MANY times as a teenager and in his early twenties....LONG before becoming an actor.

Same here, Pil. I was raised in Los Angeles and I LOVE IT and can't wait to move back!

Gerry is a big boy and can handle himself in the "cesspot" of Los Angeles.

Did I just say that? Awww, I'm growing up . . .

Its the industry he's in. It can suck the life out of you. I loved LA when I was there.

I've been to LA many times and always loved it. :) There's alot more to LA and to California than Hollywood glam.

I think alot of people have pre-conceived ideas about places - I had been to LA about 7 times for the Globes and never really ventured out and about much and with just drivng about on the way to and fro the airport I never thought the place looked all that - even Beverly Hills did not look that glamorous to me. I always felt unless I was coming for something specific LA is a place I would avoid but when the Globes were cancelled and I found myself with time on my hands I had a really good look around. Westwood was a great area, really enjoyed The Grove and Farmers Market, Hollywood Boulevard was much improved and I even really enjoyed Rodeo Drive and the shop assistants were not snooty as I expected them to be ala Pretty Woman. I thought because I was not wearing designer clothes I'd be looked down upon and made to feel like I was not welcome - but it was the opposite in fact - maybe they knew our exchange rate was good and we had money to spend ha ha!!!.

I still prefer New York and when I go there I always feel like I have arrived home.

This got a bit off topic but I see it from a different point of view now that I got a chance to have a better look around

Moira

Hi Joanna,

Glad to see you here again. I am getting a kick of all these posts. I never think of him much as a separate being, as I am so enamoured of the Phantom persona. I have seen some things that say he is living in L.A. I am sorry that he did not stay in the UK. L.A. is such a cesspot, I hate to see him dragged into that sick culture out there. I don't care if his language is bad sometimes, so is mine, and i have been working for years to clean up my potty mouth. I am doing pretty good. I remember years ago a friend told me that I had better clean up my language, or the first thing out of my son's mouth(then age 1 and a half) would be "@$%&**^@@$". Guess what were the first things out of his mouth????-LOL.

Unfortunately, our children pick up our bad habits more often than our good ones. I truly don't feel that Gerry, if he is such a great guy, would want the first thing out of his first child's mouth to be" &$%#@*&^". It's too late for my son-he is in his 30's too. Now he has to make the change. If I had to do it over again, would I still cuss?? Hopefully not, although by our age it becomes a real chore to erase years of foul language.

Spartandax

Hey GAL,

So wonderful to hear from you. And you have echoed my sentiments absolutely and precisely!!! GAL you have said so much in very few words. Gerry is so special because of who he is. Not what people want him to be!!! YOU GO GERRY!!!! I too wish he would not have to live here. But, like he said, "this is where my job is." I have loved Gerry so long now and I don't care what he does because I know he would never do anything that would disappoint his Mum. He is very close to her. And I have faith he knows that we would be disappointed too. But the 'razzie is killing him. I almost want to scream at them when I see them harrassing him. My heart breaks for Gerry. But that's the Mom in me for him. I'd like to think Gerry would make a change in his language for his child if he ever has one.

Write when you want and can. I love hearing from the GALS.

Hugs,

Joanna

Edited by Joanna

Okay, gotta step in here . . .

Gerry has a potty mouth because he's SCOTTISH - not because of living in Los Angeles! He's a typical Scottish man and in Europe, they are not as censored or prude as we are here in the States. Gerry is who he is not because he's been contaminated by life in Los Angeles; Gerry is who he is because THAT'S WHO HE IS. He hasn't changed for anybody!

And pairrsonally, I adore his potty mouth! He never pretends to be something he's not. So you know what? If and when Gerry gets married and his child is raised in the United States, Daddy will probably still be putting money in a swear jar and sending his child to college THAT way. He will curse more than his kid, trust me. :lol:

Gerry - you stay just the way you are, baby!

Lisa

I remember Gerry saying in an interview that he hoped to have a little scottish baby running around someday. SOMEDAY.

And I don't think Spartan meant that LA gave Gerry his mouth. :lol: I took it as just the next in a line of thoughts. One, hopes he doesn't stay in LA, two, doesnt care for potty mouth. Not that one caused the other.

But I have read in more than one article that G isn't that enamored with hollywood/LA life. He has said he prefers NY also.

I totally agree with the preconcieved notions thing though. when I was traveling around Europe, no one knew where Milwaukee was, so I would say around Chicago (it was were I was raised) EVERYONE said "Oh, guns and gangsters and lots of crime" Or some version of that. My friend and i just laughed. They all had visions of Al Capone. :lol:

Hello Gerry fans,

With the tremendous number of public appearances, interviews and articles in relation to the release of 300.... I think we are seeing the real Gerry emerge from all the new information we are being treated to.

Many of us fell for one of Gerry's characters, before we ever even knew who the actor was, and in some cases, our infatuation of Gerry, may be the result of infatuation with one or more his characters. For some of us... finding out just who the real Gerry Butler is, could be a difficult dose of reality. I'm already seeing this phenomenon across most of the fansites... as Gerry seems to be feeling confident enough now, to reveal his rougher edges.

I think what we see here, is a very complex man who refuses to be confined to anyone's box of acceptable behavior; how he should talk, who he should date, and how he should conduct himself at public events. Discussions are starting to pop up in fandom in regards to Gerry's colorful language, flippant gestures and sometimes roguish behavior. Some of the fans are shocked by photos of him flipping off reporters, or by how frequently he uses the F-bomb, or by his off color and often sexually frank humorous remarks. A few fans have expressed that they wish he would temper the bad boy side of his nature, and try to act more mature. Some fans find his attitude towards women degrading, and some do not appreciate his raunchier sense of humor.

I see Gerry as a man of huge contrasts: he is on the one hand; charming, gentle and sweet.... a guy who loves his mum and genuinely goes out of his way to help people he cares for. He has that sort of puppy dog goofy demonstrative side, who loves to hug and kiss, and who is very generous with his affections, but he also has his well defined personal boundaries.... and has been known to bark when they are crossed. He is self effacing, warm and hilariously funny... and seems to enjoy his own jokes more than anyone else. His quick wit is razor sharp, he is gregarious and utterly engaging, but he can also be moody and sullen... needing time to get inside his head, away from the spotlight and away from his adoring fans. I think he is a man who struggles with crippling insecurities... even when on the outside, he appears self confident... some say, even cocky.

He is capable of acting the perfect gentleman.... debonaire and gracious, a man who can hobnob with the upper crust, and socialize comfortably with any group. Gerry appears to have a very caring way about him, and has been known to do amazing things to show his fans his appreciation, and this is one of the qualities that have endeared him to his legions of female fans.

However, as with all human beings... Gerry has flaws or quirks... personality traits that some people may find less than appealing. He has a temper and and can be visibly irritable in certain stressful circumstances. He is known to be habitually late for appointments, and is admittedly disorganized.

He says himself, he is a man of extremes, and he seems to be searching for more stability and spiritual peace in his life.

Gerry is the yin and the yang... both dark and light. A naughty boy rogue in one setting... and then the gentle soul who tears up with his romantic and poetic sensibilities in another.

I think our Gerry still has a bit of the Glasgow streets in him; tough and combative when he needs to be.... and NO body's pushover.

It may be, that through the role of Lenonidas, Gerry has reconnected with that tougher aspect of himself, while at the same time... he is still the sweet and kind hearted softie we all adore. I don't think that will ever change

So who is the real Gerry?

I say...they are all the real Gerry.

So my question to you fans is this: can you accept him as he is? Can you enjoy the rougher and more raw; cussing, abrupt and impatient Gerry... just as he is, without expecting or wanting him to change? Can you still remain a fan, as more of his imperfections and quirks are revealed... and can you stand beside him, if there are things about him you really don't like at all?

I think we need to be prepared, that as he becomes the target of the press, and as we learn more about him.... there will be unflattering moments captured and witnessed. There will be situations where his humanity and vulnerability are on display.

Will those things diminish him in your eyes? Does your opinion of Gerry as a person, directly influence your appreciation for him as an actor...or can you separate the "man" from his craft?

As for me.... I will admit, I have never "known" anyone quite like Gerry... and he has challenged many of my conceptions about what is acceptable, or even charming behavior. That said, I now know without reservation, that I can and do accept those rougher edges of his blustery, charming and irresistible personality. Plain and simple, I adore the man as he is, and would never want him to change or conform to mine or anyone else's standards.

I have the utmost respect for his passionate individuality, and each time another layer is peeled away.... my heart seems prepared to take it all in.

So....what do you all have to say about this? :kisswink:

I am anxious to hear your thoughts!

Swannie

Hi Swannie, I am still very new to this board so I have not read all the threads on here. I thought I would read while I was at lunch today. This had to be addressed - you have nailed every single detail about GB that I LOVE and I couldn't have said it better if I had written this myself. :)

I fell in love with his character (in the movie) "P.S. I Love You" first before I even knew who I was falling for. After I researched him online, I realized what a very genuinely nice man he seems to be. Thanks to sites like this and You Tube, I was able to catch up with Gerry over the years and see him transforming into the the big star that he is. At the very beginning of my research and on You Tube, I saw him in an interview about POTO and just loved how humble and sincere he seemed. I feel like Gerry is the type of man that if you bumped into him on the street and he wasn't being mobbed by paps, he would be polite and friendly. He is the type of person that I grew up with - an everyday person - and that is what makes him so suitable for the roles he plays. He is dark, mysterious, a bit of a loner but at the same time, a party guy, who looks like he likes a good joke and poking fun at himself. That is what endears me to being a big fan of his for years. I have gotten to the point where when TMZ or another source makes him out to be not so nice, I cringe because I know that they are not showing the true person, only a snippet for their benefit - to make money- or bring in viewers. He is a normal human being who deserves to have some privacy and respect and I grow defensive over his treatment sometimes in the press. I wouldn't say I am a fanatic about him but I am a fan and enjoy this site because I feel I am in the same company with the people on here. :) I appreciate your posting this because it was a great read as I sat there nodding my head and agreeing with everything you had written over a year ago. It made me realize that he is even more special than I had thought and I am glad to be a part of a positive site about him. Thanks again and God bless.

:wave: Swannie,

You did it again!!! You are fantabulous!!!! You have the right perspective and all the right words to make everrything sound exactly the right way. I do not want Gerry to EVER change. He is awesome as he is. I don't think he treats women badly. He just doesn't want to get involved and the ones he had seen appear to want to "own" him. Gerry obviously is not that way. When he meets the right one, he'll be 'THE MAN!!!!!!!!!' And he will treat her very special. I love him the way he was, is and ever shall be!!!!!! When he wants to change, he will. No one is going to tell him to!!! Thank God he never does what people expect him to do. He is his own man and I love it that way. The more I learn about this awesome man, the more I love him. I pray he never changes.

Thank You Sweet Swannie!

Joanna

Yes! I do accept Gerry as he is without wanting him to change! Gerry is adorable whatever he's doing: when he seems to have a Celtic clue in him, when he is sensitive...I like Gerry's behaviour and I will always do!!! :yay:

LoveFairy,

WELCOME, WELCOME, WELCOME!! You have arrived at the bestest, mostest, wonderful Gerry place in the world. There are some really amazing people here. Lots of love, artistic talent, laughs and most importantly, love of Gerry. Have fun GAL. :cunning:

Hugs,

AOGJoanna

Hi Swannie, I am still very new to this board so I have not read all the threads on here. I thought I would read while I was at lunch today. This had to be addressed - you have nailed every single detail about GB that I LOVE and I couldn't have said it better if I had written this myself. :)

I fell in love with his character (in the movie) "P.S. I Love You" first before I even knew who I was falling for. After I researched him online, I realized what a very genuinely nice man he seems to be. Thanks to sites like this and You Tube, I was able to catch up with Gerry over the years and see him transforming into the the big star that he is. At the very beginning of my research and on You Tube, I saw him in an interview about POTO and just loved how humble and sincere he seemed. I feel like Gerry is the type of man that if you bumped into him on the street and he wasn't being mobbed by paps, he would be polite and friendly. He is the type of person that I grew up with - an everyday person - and that is what makes him so suitable for the roles he plays. He is dark, mysterious, a bit of a loner but at the same time, a party guy, who looks like he likes a good joke and poking fun at himself. That is what endears me to being a big fan of his for years. I have gotten to the point where when TMZ or another source makes him out to be not so nice, I cringe because I know that they are not showing the true person, only a snippet for their benefit - to make money- or bring in viewers. He is a normal human being who deserves to have some privacy and respect and I grow defensive over his treatment sometimes in the press. I wouldn't say I am a fanatic about him but I am a fan and enjoy this site because I feel I am in the same company with the people on here. :) I appreciate your posting this because it was a great read as I sat there nodding my head and agreeing with everything you had written over a year ago. It made me realize that he is even more special than I had thought and I am glad to be a part of a positive site about him. Thanks again and God bless.

Welcome to GBGALS Galpal! I think you rather said it quite well yourself!

Also, :welcome:LoveFairy

Hello Gerry fans,

With the tremendous number of public appearances, interviews and articles in relation to the release of 300.... I think we are seeing the real Gerry emerge from all the new information we are being treated to.

Many of us fell for one of Gerry's characters, before we ever even knew who the actor was, and in some cases, our infatuation of Gerry, may be the result of infatuation with one or more his characters. For some of us... finding out just who the real Gerry Butler is, could be a difficult dose of reality. I'm already seeing this phenomenon across most of the fansites... as Gerry seems to be feeling confident enough now, to reveal his rougher edges.

I think what we see here, is a very complex man who refuses to be confined to anyone's box of acceptable behavior; how he should talk, who he should date, and how he should conduct himself at public events. Discussions are starting to pop up in fandom in regards to Gerry's colorful language, flippant gestures and sometimes roguish behavior. Some of the fans are shocked by photos of him flipping off reporters, or by how frequently he uses the F-bomb, or by his off color and often sexually frank humorous remarks. A few fans have expressed that they wish he would temper the bad boy side of his nature, and try to act more mature. Some fans find his attitude towards women degrading, and some do not appreciate his raunchier sense of humor.

I see Gerry as a man of huge contrasts: he is on the one hand; charming, gentle and sweet.... a guy who loves his mum and genuinely goes out of his way to help people he cares for. He has that sort of puppy dog goofy demonstrative side, who loves to hug and kiss, and who is very generous with his affections, but he also has his well defined personal boundaries.... and has been known to bark when they are crossed. He is self effacing, warm and hilariously funny... and seems to enjoy his own jokes more than anyone else. His quick wit is razor sharp, he is gregarious and utterly engaging, but he can also be moody and sullen... needing time to get inside his head, away from the spotlight and away from his adoring fans. I think he is a man who struggles with crippling insecurities... even when on the outside, he appears self confident... some say, even cocky.

He is capable of acting the perfect gentleman.... debonaire and gracious, a man who can hobnob with the upper crust, and socialize comfortably with any group. Gerry appears to have a very caring way about him, and has been known to do amazing things to show his fans his appreciation, and this is one of the qualities that have endeared him to his legions of female fans.

However, as with all human beings... Gerry has flaws or quirks... personality traits that some people may find less than appealing. He has a temper and and can be visibly irritable in certain stressful circumstances. He is known to be habitually late for appointments, and is admittedly disorganized.

He says himself, he is a man of extremes, and he seems to be searching for more stability and spiritual peace in his life.

Gerry is the yin and the yang... both dark and light. A naughty boy rogue in one setting... and then the gentle soul who tears up with his romantic and poetic sensibilities in another.

I think our Gerry still has a bit of the Glasgow streets in him; tough and combative when he needs to be.... and NO body's pushover.

It may be, that through the role of Lenonidas, Gerry has reconnected with that tougher aspect of himself, while at the same time... he is still the sweet and kind hearted softie we all adore. I don't think that will ever change

So who is the real Gerry?

I say...they are all the real Gerry.

So my question to you fans is this: can you accept him as he is? Can you enjoy the rougher and more raw; cussing, abrupt and impatient Gerry... just as he is, without expecting or wanting him to change? Can you still remain a fan, as more of his imperfections and quirks are revealed... and can you stand beside him, if there are things about him you really don't like at all?

I think we need to be prepared, that as he becomes the target of the press, and as we learn more about him.... there will be unflattering moments captured and witnessed. There will be situations where his humanity and vulnerability are on display.

Will those things diminish him in your eyes? Does your opinion of Gerry as a person, directly influence your appreciation for him as an actor...or can you separate the "man" from his craft?

As for me.... I will admit, I have never "known" anyone quite like Gerry... and he has challenged many of my conceptions about what is acceptable, or even charming behavior. That said, I now know without reservation, that I can and do accept those rougher edges of his blustery, charming and irresistible personality. Plain and simple, I adore the man as he is, and would never want him to change or conform to mine or anyone else's standards.

I have the utmost respect for his passionate individuality, and each time another layer is peeled away.... my heart seems prepared to take it all in.

So....what do you all have to say about this? :kisswink:

I am anxious to hear your thoughts!

Wow Swannie. Your post is just beautiful and it hit the nail on the head for me. The more I see or hear Gerry being himself the more attractive I find him. It shows that he is just a man. Ok...an incredibly talented, good looking and sexy man but just a man nonetheless. I love his vulnerability, his goofiness and his potty mouth. For me, it's all part of his charm. So unless there is something revealed about his private life that is absolutely abhorent to me I will be sticking around for a long time. He is just too lovely. :wuv:

I'm so happy to see more members weighing in on this topic. I think it's great that we can all come here and express our opinions. I hope more of the new members will post theirs.

Welcome to you all!

Swannie

Most of the things I have read about Gerry are good things, which makes me glad. I'm sure he can lose his temper at times, but there's probably not many people which the same is not true for. I know having reporters coming up to me and asking stupid questions (which they do way too much) and having other people coming up to you who only see you as a movie star who doesn't deserve a private life would make me a little upset at times. Yes, Gerry probably has a dark side, but that is what allowed him to become some of the dark characters he has played (the Phantom being my favorite at this point). However, I have also read of Gerry's lighter side, his carefree, happy side. What I like about Gerry (besides his amazing, memerizing, beautiful eyes which I'm still having problems trying to find out the color of) is his deepness (which he really showed in the POTO). Gerry is probably one of the deepest thinking actors out there today, and I hope he remains a nice guy who doesn't let his fame get to his head.

This thread has got me to thinking what has drawn most of us to Gerry in the first place- I think we are all attracted to him not just for his acting abilities and fine looks, splendid smile, twinkling eyes (wait: I - must - get - cold - water) but that magical quality that radiates from him. From what I have seen he has the most devoted fans and deservedly so. He is a genuine, real person and to borrow the expression- what you see is what you get. I personaly would not want an actor who only shows one side because let's face it - we all have our moments.

So I enjoy each and every facet of his personality, and believe little of what I might read in the rags. It's a tough life living in the pubic eye, but he is the man to do it and he does it so well.

So I will now declare that I am a Geriholic and am starting my 12-step program.

1. I admit that I have an addiciton.

2. I am seeking help and support -hence why I am here.

(I'll work on the rest of the steps later as soon as I figure them out.)

Sweet Swannie,ONCE AGAIN YOU HAVE CAPTURED THE ESSENCE OF THE MAN!!!!!!!!

Swannie, I think you have said absolutely every word that has ever gone through my mind about this awesome man. I know after eleven years, I have, do and always will love Gerry. Thank the Lord he is so human. That is the first quality I could feel about him, even in his roles he is human and so believable. I think that is why he appeals to me so much and for so long. He is the person he portrays. But he is still Gerry!!!! I can empathize with his inability to get from point A to point B without harrassement!!! Yet he still tries to be as polite as possible. Sometimes it gives out and he just lets loose with a gesture. And he has earned the right to that and some privacy!!! I have know many men in my life time. I have the ability to put myself into their place and feel the feelings that they are feeling. I never knew what that ability was until I had to go to a therapist regarding the man I lived with who was an alcoholic and verbally abusive. I found out a lot about myself through her and I learned to cope with many different aspects of life that many people never experience. But also what a lot of people go through everyday in silent suffering. Gerry just wants to act!!! It's no wonder he is so good. he loves his craft!!!

But Swannie you say it so well and I am proud of your ability to put words out so well. Thank You so much!!!

Hugs Gal,

Joanna

Guest greyeyegoddess

'BUT....I say, the day I give up chocolate is the day Gerry will stop smoking.'

Alice.

Just wanted to know Alice, did you give up the chocolate?

:wuv: Anna X

Holy carp, I missed this...lol! :funnyup: :funnyup: :funnyup:

Uh...nope, but I've cut down a lot....lol! Baby steps, baby steps. It took Gerry many, many times to stop smoking. I get the same chance...lol!

~alice

:music: