Gerard Butler GALS

The Real Gerry

Swansong

The Phantom brought me to fandom, Gerry, the man, keeps me here. The only time I ever get upset about his actions is when I see him broiling angry. That means that somewhere, some idiot has crossed the line. THAT'S what makes me mad, not Gerry's reaction. Gerry does not suffer fools gladly, nor should he have to. He also seems to have a lot of patience. But when that line is crossed and fire starts shooting out of his eyes, watch out! There have been a few times I was glad I wasn't on the receiving end of some of his stares. Unfortunately, that seems to happen more and more often as his celebrity grows. It is sad that Gerry is being placed in those situations, but he at least handles it without letting his Celtic blood have free reign! I'm proud of him for that.

This beautiful man has captured many hearts and most of us would walk through ground glass for him. I for one will be here ready to walk for him, no matter what!

Sue

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it bad that I like angry Gerry? I mean.... he's got that kind of dangerous *don't mess with me thing* and it's sort of a turn on. You know that on the inside, he's all marshmallow... but sometimes those peircing eyes and those grinding teeth make me shiver! (guess it's sort of an Erik thing, LOL)

Swannie

Is it bad that I like angry Gerry? I mean.... he's got that kind of dangerous *don't mess with me thing* and it's sort of a turn on.

i so know what you mean.. the bad boy side of hi is definitly a turn on.. :cunning:

Is it bad that I like angry Gerry? I mean.... he's got that kind of dangerous *don't mess with me thing* and it's sort of a turn on.

i so know what you mean.. the bad boy side of hi is definitly a turn on.. :cunning:

I think it has to do with the fact when mad he can control you and you will be at his mercy, lol....

I think it has to do with the fact when mad he can control you and you will be at his mercy, lol....

oh don't even go there...*thinking to myself cause i can't post what i'm thinkin right now* :rotflmao::rotflmao:

oh don't even go there...*thinking to myself cause i can't post what i'm thinkin right now* :rotflmao::rotflmao:

I know what you're thinking because I'm thinking the same thing ;).

All I can say is hot and sweaty, lol....

I know what you're thinking because I'm thinking the same thing ;).

All I can say is hot and sweaty, lol....

we'd be fooling ourselfs if we ever denied this thoughts. it's impossible not to everytime we look at him.. :cunning::rotflmao:

I'll let you all protect him. As for me, he draws out a different feeling, I would feel oh so safe if he protected me from the outside world. (grinning) He does have that lion-heart. He could take away all my fears with just one look...

Sally

...I love none of his characters as much as I love him.

Absolutely! You're entire post was great Julie...and as others have said, reminded me of myself two years ago after seeing Phantom.

I admire many other actors for what they do on screen. Russell Crowe, to me, is a phenomenal actor and I am always in awe of his talent when I watch his movies. And yet...I've never spent even one second of my life... outside of actually watching his films...thinking about Russell Crowe. I have no desire to go to a fansite, read his biography, look at pictures, or anything. I adore him as an actor...I truly do...and it ends there. I don't care who he throws his cell phone at, or whatever...he's a great actor, and his movies are among my all-time favorites.

So what is it about Gerry that makes me want to soak up every scrap of information about him? Why do I stay up all hours of the night to watch him on late night TV (and tape the shows..so I can watch them over and over and over)?? Why is virtually every second I spend on the internet at one site or the other devoted to him? Why can I spend hours staring at picture after picture? What's the deal??

It has to be the man himself. I mean..two years of this and I am as hopelessly in love as I was the first time I discovered who he was.

I think we "know" Gerry about as well as any fans can know the object of their admiration. We "get" who he is...at least I think most of us do.

For me...I watch him in interviews and such and recognize a lot of quirks of personality and behaviors that remind me of myself. I forced my best friend to watch one of the Leno appearances I had taped once. Her first reaction was "He's like YOU in MALE!" She was sort of freaked out by it.

But I think that's the case with a lot of people. I think in Gerry we recognize something that reminds us of ourselves...and we're drawn to people who are like us.

I love the "real" Gerry.

After reading the comments,(whew, lots of them) there really isn't anything diffrent to say. But I'm gonna add my two cents in here anyway. Swannie, you hit it right on the head, to start this thread off and everyone has added their own take on it, so all that is left for me to say is..........He's Gerry....Good, Bad or Indifferent, and I'm in this for the long haul, until one of the two of us is no longer on this planet.

He's had brains and charm enough to cultivate his fan base by always being gracious to, and with, his fans, but unfortunately now, he may be forced to withdraw a bit, as the "cash in on an up and coming star" hounds come out of the woodwork and make his life a lot more hectic during personal appearances and such. But.........no matter what, I'm still and will always be, here for him.

I've usually tended to like the Bad Boys anyway, and am no stranger to occasionally flipping the bird or using the F word, or simply expressing myself and my feelings. I'm just not in the public eye and don't have to be scrutinized for everything I say or do, and I have the luxury of not being hounded by the Papparazzi. Being in his shoes, I'd probably become a nasty screaming banshee, but he seems to still hold it together well enough, only occasionally letting his feelings slip out. Good For Him. With the kind of talent and emotions he has, if he didn't let it out once in a while, he'd implode.

Whatever You do Gerry...........Works for Me!!! :inlove: :kiss:

Meredith

I LOVE THE BAD BOY!!! When I first saw the look that Gerry gave to one of his warriors in Attila I nearly fell flat on to the floor!! I said HOLY SHITE!! Who is that guy??? That's when I knew ...I was a goner! I have not stopped being one ever since!! Thanks Swannie, good thread!

:cunning: Fran

As I said before there is a built in something called structure, whether it be religion or political. Gerry has the intelligence to see the constraints that have been put into his life and as a creative artist he has thrown off the shackels. To Gerry the driving force in his life is to create, he has said it more than once. Everyone here on GBgals recognize a hero, someone that struggled but was able to see his inner human come to the surface to entertain and for us to appreciate. I will take Gerry above anything the world has to offer.

Is it bad that I like angry Gerry? I mean.... he's got that kind of dangerous *don't mess with me thing* and it's sort of a turn on. You know that on the inside, he's all marshmallow... but sometimes those peircing eyes and those grinding teeth make me shiver! (guess it's sort of an Erik thing, LOL)

Swannie

OHHHHHHHH!.....Now you did it!!......Mentioned that.....that...overbite thing!!!

Shiver???.......WHEW!..... :heat: MY TIMBERS!!! and then some!!

Micky

Hello Gerry fans,

With the tremendous number of public appearances, interviews and articles in relation to the release of 300.... I think we are seeing the real Gerry emerge from all the new information we are being treated to.

Many of us fell for one of Gerry's characters, before we ever even knew who the actor was, and in some cases, our infatuation of Gerry, may be the result of infatuation with one or more his characters. For some of us... finding out just who the real Gerry Butler is, could be a difficult dose of reality. I'm already seeing this phenomenon across most of the fansites... as Gerry seems to be feeling confident enough now, to reveal his rougher edges.

I think what we see here, is a very complex man who refuses to be confined to anyone's box of acceptable behavior; how he should talk, who he should date, and how he should conduct himself at public events. Discussions are starting to pop up in fandom in regards to Gerry's colorful language, flippant gestures and sometimes roguish behavior. Some of the fans are shocked by photos of him flipping off reporters, or by how frequently he uses the F-bomb, or by his off color and often sexually frank humorous remarks. A few fans have expressed that they wish he would temper the bad boy side of his nature, and try to act more mature. Some fans find his attitude towards women degrading, and some do not appreciate his raunchier sense of humor.

I see Gerry as a man of huge contrasts: he is on the one hand; charming, gentle and sweet.... a guy who loves his mum and genuinely goes out of his way to help people he cares for. He has that sort of puppy dog goofy demonstrative side, who loves to hug and kiss, and who is very generous with his affections, but he also has his well defined personal boundaries.... and has been known to bark when they are crossed. He is self effacing, warm and hilariously funny... and seems to enjoy his own jokes more than anyone else. His quick wit is razor sharp, he is gregarious and utterly engaging, but he can also be moody and sullen... needing time to get inside his head, away from the spotlight and away from his adoring fans. I think he is a man who struggles with crippling insecurities... even when on the outside, he appears self confident... some say, even cocky.

He is capable of acting the perfect gentleman.... debonaire and gracious, a man who can hobnob with the upper crust, and socialize comfortably with any group. Gerry appears to have a very caring way about him, and has been known to do amazing things to show his fans his appreciation, and this is one of the qualities that have endeared him to his legions of female fans.

However, as with all human beings... Gerry has flaws or quirks... personality traits that some people may find less than appealing. He has a temper and and can be visibly irritable in certain stressful circumstances. He is known to be habitually late for appointments, and is admittedly disorganized.

He says himself, he is a man of extremes, and he seems to be searching for more stability and spiritual peace in his life.

Gerry is the yin and the yang... both dark and light. A naughty boy rogue in one setting... and then the gentle soul who tears up with his romantic and poetic sensibilities in another.

I think our Gerry still has a bit of the Glasgow streets in him; tough and combative when he needs to be.... and NO body's pushover.

It may be, that through the role of Lenonidas, Gerry has reconnected with that tougher aspect of himself, while at the same time... he is still the sweet and kind hearted softie we all adore. I don't think that will ever change

So who is the real Gerry?

I say...they are all the real Gerry.

So my question to you fans is this: can you accept him as he is? Can you enjoy the rougher and more raw; cussing, abrupt and impatient Gerry... just as he is, without expecting or wanting him to change? Can you still remain a fan, as more of his imperfections and quirks are revealed... and can you stand beside him, if there are things about him you really don't like at all?

I think we need to be prepared, that as he becomes the target of the press, and as we learn more about him.... there will be unflattering moments captured and witnessed. There will be situations where his humanity and vulnerability are on display.

Will those things diminish him in your eyes? Does your opinion of Gerry as a person, directly influence your appreciation for him as an actor...or can you separate the "man" from his craft?

As for me.... I will admit, I have never "known" anyone quite like Gerry... and he has challenged many of my conceptions about what is acceptable, or even charming behavior. That said, I now know without reservation, that I can and do accept those rougher edges of his blustery, charming and irresistible personality. Plain and simple, I adore the man as he is, and would never want him to change or conform to mine or anyone else's standards.

I have the utmost respect for his passionate individuality, and each time another layer is peeled away.... my heart seems prepared to take it all in.

So....what do you all have to say about this? :kisswink:

I am anxious to hear your thoughts!

Swannie

You as always make the most articulate and insightful comments. If Gerry were really smart he would hire you as his publicist. :kisswink: I will likely remain a fan, until his behavior gets so extreme even I can't justify it, but I must admit already feeling a bit of concern. 300 has launched GB into a whole different realm of celebrity than he or his fans have ever experienced before. But, in truth, it is still 1000% less than that of a Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise or George Clooney. What is he going to do when the paparazzi REALLY start after him, dogging his every step and thousands, not a few hundred, show up outside a TV studio and start to pull and push him, screaming his name and demanding autographs? That he seems to already be feeling the strain and responding in a less than positive manner to some genuine fans at this point, makes me fear for the future. I sincerely hope that he is able to come to grips with this soon and not develop a reputation, like some celebrities we can all name, as an individual with anger management issues. Getting ticked off at paparazzi or professional autograph seekers is one thing, being pissed and irritated at a respectful fan asking for an autograph and trying to explain a simple gift is quite another IMHO. :confused:

Yeah I love him the way he is with his pizazz: joking, thoughtful, straightforward, sometimes annoyed, smart, blunt, and modest too. A flat personality, sweet all the time mild type with no spark would be boring. But so too would be one that habitually steps into the bounds of what is considered extreme (I don't know how to describe it but you know it when you see it in people; it's really off-putting). I've never seen that in him, and I assume that's because he keeps his personality swings within wide (scintillating), but acceptable parameters.

I have been reading all of the wonderful posts and well I can't resist.

First, I believe this is a exciting time for Gerry fans(especially those of us who have been fans for awhile). Before our very eyes he has gone from barely known to well known. Millions of people have seen King Leonidas and are now taking a close look at Gerry. He is no longer our secret. The press will be trying to find out things about his personal life. A lot of stories will be written about Gerry and they all won't be flattering. I suppose we all have to get used to the scrutiny. If it is painful for us you can just imagine how painful it is or will be for Gerry.

I have followed Gerry's career since Dracula2000. After I bought the DVD and watched the behind the scenes portion I could tell that Gerry was what my Mom would call "a handful." He has that mischief making sparkle in his eyes. I believe that is one reason he is so fantastic at roles that are of the "badass" nature. Somewhere down deep in Gerry(or not so deep) is a well contained bad boy. He controls it but sometimes it is going to come out. He cannot help himself. He is Scottish. My Dad's family are of Scottish ancestry and all the men in the family are very much like Gerry. They would give you the shirt off their back but you had better not try and take the shirt yourself. Hearts of gold but won't take much gruff from anyone. I see Gerry that way.

I find Gerry charming. Sure I do believe that he could use the "f" word a little less but I could use the work "s**t" a little less. We all have things about ourselves that we could change. But when all is said and done I do believe that Gerry is a good person. He loves his family(that is obvious), and he has been very sweet to his fans. For no other reason than that we all should adore him. My husband made the comment after seeing Gerry on Craig Ferguson that Gerry is a "real guy." He said that he was the kind of guy you hang out with. To me, that pretty much says it all.

I really hope that Gerry does not allow the pressures of stardom to change him. He is a big boy but I sometimes worry about the stress he is under. I sincerely hope that he surrounds himself with positive people. And I hope that none of his fans are offended if sometimes Gerry does get a little stressed out by all the media attention and lets his temper show a bit. Gerry still needs his fans like King Leonidas needed his warriors. Gerry says we(his fans) are a team and that is true.

I know I will always be his fan. Gerry is never boring and to me the total package. He is black and white, hot and cold but seldom gray or lukewarm. You know where you stand with him. But personality or looks aside the reason most of us are here is that he is a wonderful actor. Something about one or more of his roles sparked our interest. His performance touched us in some way. For me, anyone who can make me fall in love with a disfigured character who lives underneath an opera house or makes me love vampires, huns and spartans cannot be all bad. For me, I will never get over the Phantom. His performance touched my soul. I still cannot watch the last scenes of the movie without crying.

To me, all that Gerry is makes him a wonderful actor and a person that I feel I would like as a friend (well more than a friend but I am a realist LOL). So whatever the media dishes out about Gerry I will simply watch one of his movies and ignore the negative stuff.

I know for myself I just want to see Gerry successful and happy.

geara

The scrutiny is a fact of life for superstars ... and Gerry is now OFFICIALLY a superstar. So many people will try to get close to him for various reasons, and some of those reasons may not be so nice, I'm sad to say. However, Gerry has achieved his dream, and he will continue to build on that dream. Good for him!

He has spoken frequently about how much his fans mean to him. I think Gerry is in a unique position with respect to his fans. His base of support started early in his career, and few celebrities can boast such a phenomenon. Not all of his fans are nutty. Not all of his fans are housewives, desperate or not, either. Some of his best fans and most sincere supporters are out in the audience. He will never know them personally, for the most part, but they are there and their presence is felt particularly on the sites set up to discuss and promote Gerry on the Web.

One good thing about Gerry's new star power is that he won't have to worry so much about his public image anymore. He will be able to pursue whatever career path he wishes from now on, and he will certainly speak his mind more freely because money from '300' talks and the big guns will HAVE to listen, no matter what their private prejudices may be.

Ah, Gerry's fans will always love him, warts and all!

G.

:kiss:

Ah, Gerry's fans will always love him, warts and all!

Ewwww! Gerry has WARTS?

Nevermind then. I don't like him anymore.

LOL...juuuuuuust kidding!

Tonight has not been an easy night for me...and I realize how much I love Gerry and all his fans right now.

Nice to be somewhere so positive and uplifting. :)

• 10 months later...

Okay. I haven't been a Gerry fan long, but here's what I gathered in the past few weeks.

1. He is a passionate actor, and definitely made the right career choice.

2. He doesn't care what anyone thinks of him, which is something Hollywood DESPERATELY needs right now.

3. He is funny, down to earth, and genuine.

4. He is a lot like my husband! LOL

5. He seems like he could be a very naughty boy! I like naughty boys!

He's real, just like you or me. He has his good days, and his bad days. He knows when to behave and when not to. (!!!!)

So would I take him just the way he is?

You betcher arse I would!

• 1 month later...

Every now and then, I like to pull this thread up again. We get new members all the time, and I think this topic is kind of timely right now.

Please read the discussion and join in!

Swannie

Sure I can accept him. I only consider myself his fan. What he does in his private life is his business in my opinion.

As Long as I am liking his work that is all I need. I'll probably never meet him. That's O.K. really. He has better things to do. I have my family. All I want for Gerry is to be happy and to have continued success.

Love,

Tracy :kisswink:

Edited by JustCallMeTracy

I love him no matter what! He is my dream man! He is deep and sensitive and kind. One of the kindest celebs I have ever known. He loves and appreciates his fans, he is honest and approachable. One of a kind that's for sure! And who can resist those eyes and those lips!!! :kiss:

• 2 weeks later...

One of the best things I love about Gerry is that he's not afraid to say what's on his mind, especially when he's around his fans!

He can let the "F" bomb rip and would we mind? Heck no! As a matter of fact, we LOVE it!!!! Why is that? I don't know. It just sounds so sexy when he says it. :pant:

That is why I love listening to Gerry's interviews. You never quite know what might come out of that sexy crooked mouth! :pointy:

~ Donna Lee