Gerard Butler GALS

The Real Gerry

Swansong

I think one of the cool things about Gerry is that he *is* able to dig down and find something personal to give every character. I think that's why people feel so connected to his characters and then feel that they are close to him as an extension. Not close as in creepy stalker-like, but close like a conversation they had with a friend at dinner.

So, when people say that the real Gerry is sensitive, they're right. When they say he's a bit of a badass, they're right. Blah,blah,blah. All of those things are in most people, not just Gerry. The difference is that he's an actor, a celebrity, and everything he does and says is now magnified, taken out of context, and left to interpretation by strangers. Like us, for example.

The real Gerry is like everyone else. He's got more than one side and more than one mood. He's gracious and capable of getting angry, he's also going to make mistakes, get bad haircuts, wear fugly t-shirts, send someone else out to buy his girlfriend's tampons, and wish he was just a dude hangin out in Glasgow every now and then. A week later, he'll go to a really cool event, make a connection, get with a really hot girl, and be very glad he's famous enough to get into these places.

Very few people like the same version of chocolate cake at every single meal.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Winter Angel

Swannie, I could not have said it better.

To back up Swannie, I'll admit, G-d's given me the ability to tell what a person's character is like just by looking in them in the eyes. But just because I can do that does not mean I know them better than anyone else. Far from it. It only peaks my curiosity about them.

For example, it was Gerry's eyes that first captured me all those years ago. With just one look in their depth I could tell that he is is genuine, trust worthy, passionate, searching for G-d, and posesses other great qualities. Yet he is still a total stranger to me. One of my friends explained it to me this way. You can know all about the person and yet never truly know them. I acknowledge that difference. It is with that knowledge that now I am no longer living in a fantasy even though sometimes the fantasy is better than living in real life! Yeah I have been there several times and now, Glory be to G-d, I finally was able to get free from that dream induced soul-tie, (G-d those are painful!).

Yeah sure, I know each of us would like to get to know Gerry as a person. I wish I could but I also know that realisticly I will always be admiring this man from afar and may never meet him in person. I love him deeply, however I am not going to dwell on the things that could never be. Been there, done that. Don't want to go there again. So instead of living in a fantasy, I am now living every day to its fullest.

I will stick with Gerry through thick and thin. He is a human being as we all are. For however long G-d desires this man to walk the earth, he will change as the new lessons are learned. G-d has all of us in that process whether we believe it or not.

So, you gals get to see a part of me that no one else sees. My passion and honesty when it comes to this man and everything about him. I am crazy about Gerry. But I am still going to live life to its fullest and continue making friends with my fellow fans of this incredible man.

On another note, CelticWhisper, Gerry is a chocolate cake that has at least ten different types of chocolate. Some would call it death by chocolate, chocolate suicide, chocolate stampede, or the chocolate bomb, (just naming a few that I have seen). I know I would never tire of haveing a piece of that Chocolate Gerry cake for desert each day. :gerrylicious:

All my love,

Angel

Edited by Winter Angel

I haven't read this thread in a long time, but I was up last night (waaaay too late) and it caught my eye. I think its been said but we have to remember that different people feel different things about Gerry just as different people read posts not all in the same way. I for one never got the impression of dislike for G from anyone and I completely understood what Luv's point was in saying he's just an actor, the first time she said it. But to others that rubbed the wrong way.

G may be a part of our lives in our minds and through this board, but the man is not. he is not a close friend even if we may feel that way. truth is he does not know any of us exist as individuals. What I mean by that is he knows of his fans and may remember a story here and there, but he has friends and family that he respects and loves (or so I assume :D) and if anyone of us feels he looked dorky in a particular hat, or shouldn't wear black socks with white tennis shoes, or maybe thought he should have put the condoms down and slowly backed away that doesn't mean we don't like/love admire him. Nor does it lesson the value of the fandom. And lets face it it effects G's life not at all. What we think of him as a person doesnt matter as long as enough people see his movies. And I will be honest. I will not gush over a pic he looks bad in, and yes in some of them he does not look good. Sorry, but I call 'em as I see 'em. Doesn't mean I still don't love the big guy.

I don't think loving someone means you have to LOVE EVERYTHING about them. My husband and I have one of the best relationships and I love him more than my own life, but I do NOT love everything about him. Sometimes he's says and does things that irritate me to no end or are inappropriate or whatever, and he would wear flannel to a wedding if it wasn't for me. And I will not just sit back and say "Oh that's okay, it's part of him so I love it." Nu uh. People grow and change all the time and some habits or personality traits are not good ones and should be curbed. And BTW the same goes for me with hubs, he will tell me also, cuz I'm far from perfect. But we won't stop loving each other because of it. It's a rude awakening to anyone who thinks you have to love all flaws, because it's not an easy thing to sustain especially if it goes against your beliefs. And no I am not saying Gerry has done anything like that. I'm speaking in generalizations.

I don't mind or think less of G when he does something questionable, but I'm not gonna pretend it's something it isn't. I don't think thats criticizing either, just being honest and actually accepting the whole man (well what part we get to see at least :D) , but more than anything I remember that MY view of him doesn't effect Gerry. I can gush about his looks, pics. person or a performance (btw I think he was way more comfy and believable as Alex, but again MHO) and he will not change anything because of my view; or I can say/think Gerry please wear longer pants! and he will again do what he does. Because he does not care what I think, because he does not know me or even of me.

Edited by DawnS

I love him deeply, however I am not going to dwell on the things that could never be. Been there, done that. Don't want to go there again. So instead of living in a fantasy, I am now living every day to its fullest.

Good for you, Angel!! That's as it should be.

Alas, I am not there yet. One day, perhaps. But for now, I keep the fantasy alive and well and living in my head. I'm not ready to give it up yet.

Guest greyeyegoddess

Dawn, that was beautiful! Lisa, thanks! Pil, I heart you! Angel, I agree, you can know all about a person and still not know them. Excellent!

I think we've mentioned over and over again how we all feel about Gerry.

But I'm still confused...where have we put Gerry down in this thread????

Because you may not like everything about him, doesn't mean you're putting him down. You still like something about him. Something about Gerry struck you so hard that you are here for a reason. But you have the right to dislike whatever you do. That's not putting someone down. That's exposing your preferences. I don't like cussing, and Gerry's been doing that ever since I've known about him. Because I don't like something doesn't mean that I am putting him down. I like the way he dresses (which was under some conflict early on) and how he treats his fans.

Lord knows how many times he heard people say that they didn't like him smoking-including me...and look what finally happened? He finally (hopefully) stopped after a personal experience. Was that putting him down because people didn't like him smoking? Or was that caring about his health?

Because he's not the number one actor in your life, doesn't mean you're putting him down. You still like him for something--acting, character, insight or whatever you mind can conjure up.

I don't think anyone called him a name, or specifically mentioned anything outside his acting, which is subject to criticism by critics anyways-despite how we may feel :tantrum:

Again, we're all at different levels of admiration. You cannot measure your feelings as a fan against someone else and judge them from there.

~alice

:music:

Again, we're all at different levels of admiration. You cannot measure your feelings as a fan against someone else and judge them from there.

Alice, thank you for saying that. The rub comes when a member attempts to "bring fans back to reality" or remove the "rose-colored glasses" from others. "Trying to balance out the picture of him" is the way one poster on this thread put it. That strikes me as condescending and impertinent. I saw too much of that on another site; that's why I came here.

Respectfully,

Andrea

Edited by annieday

Luv

Maybe it is the transatlantic divide but could you actually tell me what you do like about Gerry as the way you worded your posts did not make me think you liked alot about him these days and it made me question why you were actually here - more so than other peoples posts who actually agreed in parts with you then added their 2c worth. I appear to be in the minority as alot do understand so I am putting it down to UK/US divide and am trying to get my head around it. :doh:

Forgive me GALS for saying this but this is the first time since I properly joined GALS that I have seen such negativity in posts relating to Gerry. Yes there is no name calling or anything said against him as a person but just negativity in general and it is not exclusive to this thread either. I guess it is the domino effect - maybe people have wanted to say stuff but have been concerned about the backlash from people who can find no wrong in Gerry and will defend him to the hilt and all it needs is one person to start the ball rolling. :lalala:

I know we can't like everything about everyone and it would be a boring place if we did. We are all entitled to our own opinions and I suppose I should salute GALS for allowing everybody to state their opinion even if we don't always agree with each other.

Moira

Guest greyeyegoddess

.....I really don't see backlash or negativity here. Maybe I'm reading this thread wrong. The original question was whether you can accept the real Gerry or not. Of course there are going to be people who don't agree, but that's because we come from different backgrounds and ideas. Even those who don't want to accept the real Gerry, have said a lot of nice things about Gerry. Go back and see. Stating your opinion, respectfully, is not backlashing. And when it comes to figuring out an answer to a deep topic, it's going to be picked and analyzed to death.

But I don't see any negativity here during the last few pages. We've all been pretty respectful for the most part. Those who accept and love Gerry for everything he is, have posted wonderful and beautiful posts. Those who cannot accept every single thing about Gerry, have shared their reasons why. Those who accept Gerry for everything he is, may feel hurt or confused by those who don't at this time. But I hope that doesn't ruin friendships around here. I hope that being in this group goes farther than the actor himself.

I do have to say though, in my opinion, that it would be pretty insane to start something up where the majority is going to come together, possibly against a few. It would seem useless for someone to come here just to rile up emotions, which I would find, very disrespectful.

~alice

:music:

I pretty much think this has run its course and we're all okay with everyone having a difference of opinion. I see Moira's point as it seemed like that in the beginning, but I think we all were able to talk it out with each other.

Like I said in the SC, I am so proud to be a part of this Board. We have been able to get through the issues of this weekend without anyone screaming that they are leaving. We did it with class and respect for one another, and for that I am grateful.

Lisa

Very true Alice. I also don't see the negativity. I see people not agreeing that all his behavior is hunky dory and those that say he makes everything look sexy. I say too each his own. But we all have to remember it goes both ways. Those who want to keep on the rose colored glasses can't get angry at those who see his faults and discuss them as long as it's not done in a bashing manner. And that I believe is exactly what we have here at GALS. Just because they don't want to believe Gerry doesn't look great in every picture doesn't mean everyone else has to keep their opinions to themselves. Again respectfully.

I do understand the irritation at those who feel its their duty to bring the dreamers to reality. Why? Does it hurt anyone if we agree to disagree and some think G can't take a bad pic and is always the perfect actor and some think the opposite. So what? Eye rolls can't be seen over the computer so we can all just sit on our hands or talk privately if it gets to that.

And just to reiterate I think Gerry is a great guy that would be a blast to hang out with, I love most of his movies and roles some more than others, he is gorgeous and sometimes an inappropriate goof ball. I love talking about all these aspects, whether I like them or not. That is my definition of accepting I guess.

Edited by DawnS

Luv

Maybe it is the transatlantic divide but could you actually tell me what you do like about Gerry as the way you worded your posts did not make me think you liked alot about him these days and it made me question why you were actually here - more so than other peoples posts who actually agreed in parts with you then added their 2c worth.

I think I said this in a few of my posts...but maybe I didn't. I think he's intelligent, funny, good-hearted, polite, and fun-loving. I really think he's a cool guy generally speaking. I also think he has a lot of charisma and a certain presence that makes him fun to watch in some roles. I think he was great in Phantom, 300, Dear Frankie, and The Jury (oh...and in Please!). And I think he's gorgeous to look at.

This thread makes me laugh. I feel like Gerry and I are in some sort of couples therapy trying to work things out so we don't split for good. LOL. So we've grown apart...other actors have come in between us (curse you, Gary Oldman!)...and the "honeymoon" is over. But I still think I like him enough to warrant being at this fansite. Obviously others don't. I think this makes the third time someone has questioned why I'm even here.

But honestly...he's just as much MY Gerry as he is anyone's here. And I am honest enough to say what I don't like about him (as an actor)....but I still remain a fan. To me...that's being "accepting". :)

Edited by Luv

Is it bad that I like angry Gerry? I mean.... he's got that kind of dangerous *don't mess with me thing* and it's sort of a turn on. You know that on the inside, he's all marshmallow... but sometimes those peircing eyes and those grinding teeth make me shiver! (guess it's sort of an Erik thing, LOL)

Swannie

Actually, Swannie, it's a Scorpio thing. I know another one with dark brown, almost black, eyes that you really should see flare. It will scare you. It's always about stupidity though. He doesn't flare at

ignorance, just stupidity. I think that is Gerry's boiling point as well. Scorpion men are SOOOOO

smart, brilliant acutally, and they just don't do stupid. Their tolerance runs out there. I see Gerry having to come down intellectually to converse with most people. My brother and sister were like that,

you can see it in his eyes if you know what you're looking for. I've lived with my sibblings having to come down a notch, or two notches, or MANY notches to converse on different people's levels. They learned very young to do that and I know it didn't bother them, they just naturally adjusted to whomever they were dealing with. I'm amazed that Gerry, being in his field, and having to deal with far more idiots than most people do, doesn't loose his patience much more often. He is a tower of emotional strenght and compassion. Genius is usally compassionate, it has to be. I love him so much for who he is and that he is honest. He is SO REAL, and that is the one thing you see so little of in Hollywood. People in the entertainment are TRAINED to be something they are totally not. In the old studio days they gave actors a name and a PERSONALITY to portray. But in those days, you rarely saw the STARS outside of the movie theatre. I'm so glad Gerry is NOT HOLLYWOOD, but rather a REAL

PERSON. He hides nothing from the world. He is who he really is. THAT TAKES COURAGE!! REAL

COURAGE!! I don't know many who have that kind of courage. GOD BLESS YOU GERRY!! Anything you say and do is OK with me as long as you keep being YOUR PRECIOUS SELF!!

Sandy

Hi Luv

I appreciate your comments and I have to put it down to how you tried to convey what you wanted to say opposed to the actual contents that got me questioning things.

I am sure at one time or another all us GALS have tried to explain something and never quite got the point across and it has been taken the wrong way. I know for one my Scottish sense of humour has had to be explained on occasion in order not to been seen as sarcasm at times. I do admire certain posters who can be so eloquent in how they write and wish I had that talent.

I think if this post has taught me anything that while we can all have different views and opinions we have to be mindful and respectful of others who don't necessarily share them and try and put our point acoss in a way that people will at least respect us for.

Moira

I appreciate your comments and I have to put it down to how you tried to convey what you wanted to say opposed to the actual contents that got me questioning things.

I'm not sure how else I could have tried to convey what I said. I typed it. I'm an English teacher by profession, I teach the craft of writing and communication, I have been told I'm pretty good at it...up until now.

I think it hinges more on people who decided immediately that they didn't like what I have to say...and therefore they chose to ignore the parts of my posts (I've gone back and read them all) where I say repeatedly what I like about him, and that I "accept" him, and that I don't care what he does on his own time. But because I said I didn't like him in a few movies, and I don't think he's the best actor in the world...people jump on the assumption that I am here to "bash" him. And because I say he's "just an actor" to me...people think I'm heartless and don't recognize that he's a "human being". (No kidding???) Of course he's a human being. So am I. So are all the other human beings on the planet. I'm not going to applaud him for being a human being. I don't count that among the things I need to admire him for. Yes, he's a very nice human being, and he's considerate and charming and cute...but so are lots of others. Despite what many like to think...Hollywood and the profession of acting in general isn't full of soulless demons who are out to destroy the world and care only for themselves. Take the time to look at some other celebrities carefully and you will find that MANY of them are outstanding people. They really are.

So the fact that I don't praise Gerry's name for being a decent human being doesn't mean I don't "accept" him. Not at all. But I do recognize that he's not the first actor to ever cross the street to greet his fans with a smile on his face. :) Lots of them do that. And they are being just as nice and considerate as Gerry is when he does it.

Edited by Luv

Hey Y'all, I just posted this in the GALS Support thread and Lisa told me to post it here as well. It is a little something I worked on today due to boredom. Hope you like it. It describes how I feel about GB plus it is a little drool session.

http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll160/W...nt=f30e81bf.pbr

Let me know what you think.

Angel

Winter Angel, that video is fantastic! OMG!!! I put it on my myspace page, I hope you don't mind...I just love it!! :wuv:

Guest Winter Angel

Hey Y'all, I just posted this in the GALS Support thread and Lisa told me to post it here as well. It is a little something I worked on today due to boredom. Hope you like it. It describes how I feel about GB plus it is a little drool session.

http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll160/W...nt=f30e81bf.pbr

Let me know what you think.

Angel

Winter Angel, that video is fantastic! OMG!!! I put it on my myspace page, I hope you don't mind...I just love it!! :wuv:

I am glad you like it. I don't mind.

:2cents:

All this chat about Gerry, I thought that I would swing by before I go off to dreamland to rendezvous with Gerry...

I love Gerry and I wont bore you with the obvious, we all know he is smokin' hot...

I love that he loves his Mum... I love that he is completely smitten with his little Lolita... I love that he treats his fans with respect... And I especially love when he slips and show some of his rough edges!!! I like a guy to be a little rough around the edges with some notes of imperfection. (Probably because I grew up with six... Thats right, six brothers!) And I find it completely endearing when he can laugh at himself because of his flaws. *giggles* No one is perfect, and I am glad he doesn't try to act like his is perfect... That is what I love!!

I love Gerry because he is utterly "Gerry"!! :wuv:

As it says, in the Bible, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." I could never hate Gerry for the mistakes that he has made. Because I have made so many mistakes myself.

I think that Gerry is a man that recognizes his weaknesses and is trying to work on them, one weakness at a time. I think that says alot for him.

I echo what NanLynn and G'sChristine say about Gerry!

He's got his strong points and his weak points, just like all the rest of us. I really care about him, and part of the reason is because I KNOW he's not perfect! :wuv: But as the song says, he's "close enough to perfect, for me." :pant:

(Also, on a personal note, it's not often I "meet" someone who has more brothers than I do! I have five! How did we do it?! Actually, it was probably easier than a house full of six girls! We only had one tiny bathroom! :lol:)

Hugs to all,

Katie

To me, it's Gerry imperfections and "weaknesses" or "faults" that he allows us to see that makes him that much more sexy to me. Who wants a cookie cutter Hollywood actor who only lets people see that he or she is perfect? Not me. I love all his points. :pointy: . Weak and strong.

I love it when he catches himself saying something to the press that he shouldn't (ie., the PSILY interview with Bonnie when he said something about putting girls in hospitals - when he realized what he was saying it was just so damn cute!). He's just a real guy, and that's what we find so attractive about his character. He IS flawed, and God we love him for it!

And really, when I watch him on the screen, and he does his little bottom lip suck, flares his nose, brings his folded hands up to his lips, I think, "Now that's my Gerry" inside of that character.

I can't beleive we're still on this topic . . . where's that poor dead horse??????

I can't beleive we're still on this topic . . . where's that poor dead horse??????

:funnyup: My thoughts exactly! Y'all said all there was to be said days ago.

I can't beleive we're still on this topic . . . where's that poor dead horse??????[/b]

It's obviously an interesting one...throughout the years this topic in various forms has always come up...usually starts out as something new and eventually all roads lead to what we see in Gerry, appreciate in him, don't appreciate in him. They are always lively discussions, and usually popular. That says to me...this is something people enjoy exploring. I love it!

I guess for me, I see the same quirks, flaws, "human" characteristics in pretty much any actor or celebrity I take a few moments to read about or watch in an interview. They're all human...Gerry included. Certainly I don't relate to all of them (can't think of much I have in common with Britney Spears or Tom Cruise)...but usually I find that they are neat people who are far from perfect. Gerry certainly fits the bill.

Gosh...who was it I just happened to stumble across today? (wasting time at school now that the students are gone for summer)...Oh I know! Alec Guinness (original Obi-Wan Kenobi). There's someone I had never given a second thought to...and I happened to run across a little bio of him online for some reason and he was a fascinating man. Very quiet, simple, private. It made me want to watch his other films (I didn't realize he's a two time Oscar winner either....all I Knew about him was Obi-Wan)

So many actors have come from rather difficult backgrounds, or at least went through difficult times in their past. Many battle substance abuse and find the will to overcome it. Many have a strong sense of family. Many give to charities and do good things for others. And I really have Gerry to thank for opening my eyes to that. I had never paid attention to what celebrities do beyond their work...except for the occasional unavoidable tabloid story that jumped out at me in the supermarket line. But when you actually look up the folks that you enjoy on screen...you often discover a fascinating human being. And I think that's neat.

Edited by Luv

:funnyup: My thoughts exactly! Y'all said all there was to be said days ago.

HAHAHA, WELL I'LL JUST SAY GERRY IS HAWT AND GERRY HAS IT ALL IN MY BOOK! :wave: :wave:

Yes Luv, "nouse" rhymes with house. You got it!

FINISHED????????????? Come off the grass :lmao:

This topic will be like as mini-Vesuvius, cropping up in one form or another for many a day to come. :poof:

I like it because I enjoy the debate. I don't take it to heart (tongue firmly planted in cheek - facial not butt).

I think this "sensitive soul" that you all are so concerned about has you fooled. I really do. He's not the innocent, sweet, vulnerable victim that many want to make him out to be. Acting like he doesn't know how to handle himself because he's so overwhelmed with it all...and he's so "sensitive" etc?

Please.

He's "been there, done that" and knows better than anyone the price of living fast and wild. I don't think he's suffering one bit. He's having a good time. If he didn't like hanging out at LA clubs, he wouldn't do it. Plenty of great actors have made names for themselves without schmoozing at Club Hyde and elsewhere. If he didn't like working constantly...he wouldn't do it. He's said several times that he's a workaholic...he's happiest when he's working. It's his choice.

He was a wild, partying playboy when he was younger. He may have given up the drink and the smokes...but that doesn't mean he's given up the rest of it. He's a social critter...and he has said himself that he "likes to have a good time".

I think making excuses for his behavior is a sure sign of not "accepting" the "real" him. If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck....it's usually a duck. If you don't like the way the duck is walking and talking...then you can't just pretend it's a confused, sensitive, misunderstood chicken.

I don't care if he goes clubbing every night of his life and sleeps with half of Hollywood. I also don't care if he decides to move to a cottage in the Scottish Highlands and become celibate. As long as he makes good movies and puts in great performances...I "accept" him. He's an actor. Acting is the only thing that matters to me.

Just because a person has a wild side, likes the ladies and does things others view as immature, does not mean they cannot also have a sensitive and introspective side to their nature.

Swannie

THANK YOU LUV & SWANNIE FOR YOUR COMMENTS !!!

THE HUMAN CONDITION

WITH ALL ITS GLORY AND FLAWS !!!

THUS " EVIL TWINS " IS SO SO APPRAPO !!!

Posted Image

DLSPBS - PAT :rose:

P.S - IMO - IT SHOULD BE SO ENCOURAGING

AND INSPIRATIONAL TO US ALL

TO SEE SOMEONE WITH THE INTELLECTUAL ABUNDANCE AND

THE INTESTINAL FORTITTUDE (BA$$S )

TO ACHIEVE ONES PERSONAL GOALS WHILE NAVIGATING

THE" ROADBLOCKS OF LIFE " !!!

(MUCH IS MISSING IN THIS AGE A POLITICAL CORRECTNESS)

AMEN TO THAT !!!

Edited by DLSPBS