Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
zanyzombie

'300' Have You Seen It?

*This is a thread to discuss the movie '300'. It will contain spoilers!*

Posted Image

Now, that the movie is finally out I'd like to hear what everyone think's about it.

Yes, Gerry is the ultimate King Leonidas!

But, how about the special effects, music and the emotions it gave you!

When Gerry said, "My Queen, my wife, my love", the tears were coming down my face.

Guest greyeyegoddess

I thought the whole cast was wonderful. I cried, laughed, cheered.

My favorite part, would you believe, was actually the first combat scenes. I was very impressed with how it was filmed, especially how close the cameras were to the fight.

I actually get to pay for my viewings this weekend.

Captain made me cry....

Love Gerry, but Stelios is a very, very close second to being my hero.

~alice

:music:

I completely loved when the Queen had her big scene. "I am not your Queen, you will not enjoy this.." What a kick-arse betch!!! I loved it!!!

Let me just say, that in movies normally, there is complete silence during the film. But in Hollywood, people were cheering, clapping, oohing, and aahing during every kick-arse battle scene, the nekkid butt shot, the ending, every awesome "comeback" line they said ("Persians, come and get them!.. "Then we will fight in the shade.", etc.) It was awesome to see the movie with a crowd that really "dug" it!!!

Edited: 'Cause i totally wrote a spoiler, not realizing that people might accidentally stumble in here and read...

Edited by Marissa

Here's what I posted in the Gutter SC last nite after I came home from the Midnight showing:

"OMG! OMG! OMG! OMFB!!!!!! I JUST CAME HOME FROM THE MIDNIGHT SHOW AND THERE'S NO ONE HERE TO GUSH TO!!!!

FIRST THINGS FIRST:LET ME JUST SAY...THE MOONLIT BUTT SHOT IS WORTH THE PRICE OF ADMISSION!!!

OK, I GET TO THE THEATER EARLY AND THERE'S HARDLY ANYONE THERE...I'M THINKING...HMMMM...BUT NO WORRIES, SOON THE THEATER IS FILLED TO NEARLY CAPACITY. (I OF COURSE AM IN MY FRONT ROW CENTER SEAT AND AM HAPPY AS A CLAM.) I BELIEVE THERE WERE MAYBE 4 OTHER FEMALES IN THE AUDIENCE (NOT KIDDING), THE REST COMPRISED OF HIGH SCHOOL AND COLLEGE AGED GUYS, HALF OF WHOM ARE DRUNK. THEY ARE SHOUTING AT THE SCREEN THRU THE PREVIEWS BUT THEN WHEN THE MOVIE STARTED...DEAD SILENCE. THEY WERE AS ENTHRALLED AS I WAS, ALTHOUGH IT'S PRETTY SAFE TO SAY I WAS THE ONLY ONE DROWNING IN 'THE JUICE'. BUT SWEET MARGARET MOTHER OF GERARD...HE WAS MAGNIFICENT. AND I'M NOT JUST TALKING ABOUT THE THIGHS (WHICH I THINK QUALIFY AS THE EIGHTH WONDER OF THE WORLD...I KEPT THINKING ABOUT HOW LEAN AND SLEEK HE LOOKED ON LENO AND CF...BUT I DIGRESS.) I MEAN AS AN ACTOR...IF YOU COMPARE THIS PERFORMANCE TO THAT OF SAY...ATTILA...THE MAN HAS COME SO FAR. HE IS IN PROBABLY 75% OF THE SCENES AND HE OWNS THE SCREEN! AND KNOWING, AS WE DO, WHAT WENT INTO THE MAKING OF ALL THIS...MAKES IT EVEN BETTER. VISUALLY STUNNING. EMOTIONALLY GRIPPING...I COULD GO ON AND ON. AND TYLER BATES' SCORE...PERFECT.

I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT...I'LL BE SEEING IT TWICE MORE TOMORROW!

OK, IT'S 10 MINUTES TIL 3 AND I AM WIRED. (CAN YOU TELL??) NOW WHAT?? gaaaaaahhhhh!!!! "

Since I wrote this, I've seen it again.

Let me just add that the second time I think I appreciated it more. The love between Leonidas and his Queen is palpable considering their short screen time together. When he says "MiLady" I sobbed and again at the Captain's anguish over his son's death. And I thought the final scene of the death on the battlefield, even lifted as it was from the pages of Miller's book, looked like a stained glass window.

This is an "AWESOME" movie. In the truest sense of the word. It inspires awe. I was, quite simply, blown away. And The G is right, IT KICKS arse!!

Hi Ladies!!

Like alot of others, including Alice, I got to see 300 at an advance sneak preview and although everyone said they wanted to hear all about it, I didn't want to say too much, because I know I like to be surprised. I didn't want to spoil it for them.

I thought it was great!! I would not have seen a movie like this unless it had someone I admire in it. But it was a totally entertaining film.

The action scenes, although brutal, are so much easier to handle due to the coloring and the slo-mo effects. I thought both of these features also set the film apart from your usual slice and dice type of film.

The action movements and clashing of spear against shield, are done so artistically...some have decribed it as a "dance". It's been compared to The Matrix, and it really worked great in this film. :claphands: Bravo to Zach Snyder!! And Bravo! to the editors!!

When I saw it in Century City last month, the theatre was large and also packed, but there were only about 13 Gerry girls, (a total of about 20, including spouse's and mom's). I guess there were alot of press too, and alot of the comic book store crowd, so it will be interesting to see it with my local neighbors.

At that showing, the crowd was very into the film, and there were lots of laughs at all the right moments, with David Wenham's character getting the biggest laugh near the end...before Leo sends him back home to tell the tale.

Queen Gorgo got the biggest reaction, (other than Gerry's butt!!) :lol: for her best scene...there were cheers and aplause when she made her move. ( I still don't want to give it away!!)

I know I had a couple tears role down my cheek at the end, and I'm trying to remember the character who was in the scene with Gerry's King Leo...but he says something about it being an honor to die with him, or fight with him(?)...and what does Gerry say...(Can't believe it's been 4 weeks and can't remember???) Somebody remember??? I wish I could remember, but that's the part that got to me.

There were really only maybe two moments where the special effects seemed a bit cheesy, (like you might expect in a film like this, but technolgy has really advanced since the days of Clash Of The Titans)...I hate to say this, but there's one early on in the film, and one later. The first one is the emissary for the Persian king, when he gets beheaded...the way it was filmed and the way he's head spun around so you could see all sides...not my favorite thing, so I was so happy to see they didn't do that thru the rest of the film.

Ah well, hopefully I'll get to see it tomorrow.

Goodnite,

Nancy

p.s. Just editing to add a little comment about Gerry...yes, we love his butt and we get a little giggle, or a thrill out of seeing it, but Gerry is an awesome actor, and we all know it, so I didn't talk too much about his role, or his performance. We all know his work and I for one, think he's a great actor in any film he makes, even if the film isn't good. So it's nice to see Gerry doing an awesome job as he always does, and even more wonderful to see it in a very good film. People might choose to make fun of the costumes, but they can't make fun of the acting. GERRY ROCKS!! :woo:

Edited by Attila Girl

I know I had a couple tears role down my cheek at the end, and I'm trying to remember the character who was in the scene with Gerry's King Leo...but he says something about it being an honor to die with him, or fight with him(?)...and what does Gerry say...(Can't believe it's been 4 weeks and can't remember???) Somebody remember??? I wish I could remember, but that's the part that got to me.

Ah well, hopefully I'll get to see it tomorrow.

Goodnite,

Nancy

That was Stelios (Michael Fassbender) and Leo says "it has been an honor to live beside you."

I LOVED THIS MOVIE, when you think that with the exception of some of the sets, the weapons and the leading men most of this is computer generated, it just blows your MIND. Visually it is one of the most stuning things I've ever had the pleasure of seeing, the sound, the music, the acting, the choreography of the fight scenes, the drama, the wittiness, the darkness and the light...all of it.

There are heartbreaking moments, like when Astinos dies infront of his father. The Captain, you could see how proud he was of him, but at the same time, he really wasn't supposed to show it, so he would give him "the father" look..but you knew he was scared for him as well, he was his father, no matter what he said about having more than enough to replace him, no matter what it means to be a spartan, his reaction to what happens is totally what I thought it would be, plus it gave the Spartans such depth, they aren't just warriors they are HUMANS, with feelings..but Leonidas showed that first...

Leonidas, the perfect warrior the noble king, who is at once tender with his son and loving with his wife, yes that moonlit scene was glorious and after, while it moved pretty fast, was just perfectly done between the conversation and the tenderness and hotness of it, the questioning what he should do, debating it, worrying for his people, wanting to do what is right..and then is the stoic king, the only one not showing emotion when the Persian ships are destroyed in the storm.

He can be brutal, those battle scenes are the most poetic battle scenes I've ever seen, but at the same time, he took the time to tell Ephialtes why he can't fight with them (I still think he should have just let the captain do what he wanted to do to him, his words after are prophetic) to telling Captain that his heart is breaking over what he's going through over Astinos.

HE IS LEONIDAS, he is, he RULES THE SCREEN, he COMMANDS THE SCREEN, he gives that character not only life, but dimensions, he says more with an eyebrow or a smirk than any word can. Honestly, I've been a fan of Gerry's for a long time, so I'm not surprised by this performance, but still, he manages to stun with his ability to inhabit a character.

Between Gorgo's strength, the friendship of Astinos and Stellios, Leo telling Dilios to leave so he can tell their story, even the EVIL THERON WHO GOT HIS, all of it was wonderful.

And this battle did happen, and I think that those Greeks deserve our thanks for committing the ultimate sacrifice for the origins of DEMOCRACY.

The end will break your heart, you know what is going to happen, but still, it's GERRY that brings that to life, it's GERRY's performance there that really makes you feel that this is a man looking at all the carnage around him, his last breath leaving him, that disorientation of the situation taking hold that makes those last words to his wife so heartbreaking.

I've seen this so many times already in one day, but I'm going to IMAX and I'll see it again after that..this movie is a WILD RIDE, it's something that you can just go and really escape, but more than that, it's one FANTASTIC movie.

Edited by moonglow

I must say that when I first heard that 300 was going to be a graphic novel on film I was skeptical. Not being a fan of graphic novels I was not impressed, but I bought a copy of Frank Miller's book and read it. I still thought, yeah, well how will they put this on the movie screen? I saw 300 today and was blown away. It is absolutely beautiful. Every scene is like a painting on film. The battle scenes, though bloody, are still beautiful. The acting is top-notch. The only word I can think of for the scene where Leonidas takes out like 50 opponents is "awesome." Gerry, Lena, and the whole cast are excellent. I saw 300 today at a 1:45pm matinee with a full theater. People laughed aloud in some places and cheered in others. When Gerry's moonlit terrace scene appeared there were audible gasps and " oh, wows" from the audience. I can't wait to see it again, and again, and again. :wow2: :goodjob2:

My friends, Barbara & Nicki, took off from work today to join me for the first matinee showing of "300" at my nearby theater. Both Barbara and I are a good bit older than Nicki (I'm 63, Nicki is 32) and we have said all along that we weren't sure whether "300" would be "our cuppa tea"or not. We mostly wanted to go to support the movie for Gerry's sake, and had he not been in it, it's a safe bet that neither of us would have gone to see it. Nicki, on the other hand, has been saying all along that she was going to LOVE the movie, where Barb and I were only hoping not to hate it. Imagine our happy surprise when it turned out that ALL THREE of us LOVED it. I was totally amazed at how good it was.

I knew the special effects would be good and that I was going to like the interesting look of the film, but it was so much more than that. It was bloody brilliant! We were spellbound throughout! My favorite moment has to be Gerry striding forth at the first big battle with the combo stop-action/slo-mo stuff going on. Every "pose" that the camera stopped on was a like richly colored oil painting by an Old Master. It was just beautiful. I finally know what they meant about it making a ballet out of the violent battle scenes. If it doesn't win awards for that (cinematography?) there's no justice in the world.

I thought all of the acting was first rate, with Gerard being a King through and through, and Rodrigo making a larger than life villain a true pleasure to hate.

I do have a question...I had read repeatedly that the love scene between Leonidas and Gorgo was something amazing...terms like "hitting, scratching, biting" etc...I expected it to be much longer than what we saw, and there was nothing at all like the action Gerry describes in several interviews. Was this scene sanitized for some viewing areas? Don't get me wrong. It was beautifully filmed and definitely sensual, but it was not anything like the desperately intense passion I had heard about. I feel like they may have cut something out. The moonlit shot of the Holy Buns was lovely, but I like the moonlit shot of the Holy Massive Right Thigh as Leo sat on the bed and talked to Gorgo even better. I agree with someone earlier who called those thighs the 8th Wonder of the World. In my book, they were worth a bit of "chafing" from the leather codpiece.

I think there is a lot more to be pondered about this film than the wonderful "look" of each scene and the fine acting, etc. It strikes me that there are Larger Issues being laid out there for us to think about regarding the Human Condition, and I can't wait to see it again so that I can concentrate on those themes in more detail.

I cannot imagine this film NOT being the hit that we all want Gerry to have. It sure made believers out of a couple of ol' grannies in Florida!

Hugs,

Marcia

Thank you Zany for starting this thread!!

Honestly as I drove home from the theater just now I kept thinking .....*I hope someone started a thread about what we thought of the movie. :yippee:

I saw the film in a Stadium Seating Auditorium where basically everyone has the best seat in the house. There were a hundred or more people with tickets waiting to enter the auditorium. The Capacity was 360 and every seat was filled.

I managed to get an aisle seat and there were seats vacant next to me.

Three high school age boys approached my seat and one of them asked ..."Is anyone sitting next to you?" I'm a brat, and I said..."it looks like you are"

To which he said..."Ok you can be my date!".....**not to mention your mother** haha

I saw my "date" glance over at me a few times as I was Cheering and Wooting it up. I noticed that he moved as far over in his seat away from me as he could. lol

The movie:

First I just have to say that it was....Fooking Incredible!!!!!! I have never seen anything like it before.

The filming was brilliant.

Gerry was amazing, beautiful, powerful, sexy as hell,( his butt, OMG :heat:)

I was so taken by his ability to portay this tough Spatan King with such conviction and then turn around and so effertlessly display his love and honor for his Queen. Gerry is an amazing actor. He has the ability to play those parts so convincingly with such tangible emotion, I was awe-struck.

I savored every moment, cheering, crying at times, and in awe. Wonderful, incredibe movie.

Can't wait to see it again.

Marianne

I just got home a little while ago and have been sitting and trying hard how to figure out my response on it. I loved that Gerry commanded most of the movie.. I Looooooooooooved the moonlit butt and thigh scene..THUD! Holey S#%t!! The love scene was pretty intense and left little to the imagination..although it could have been done in slow motion like some of the battle scenes right Ladies?? :cunning: The end almost had me in tears and I thought it was touching. Here's my biggest problem...I didn't like the special effects ..especially the phony looking crazy animals and monsterous looking characters! Now I think this is because I'm maybe too old for this type of movie so don't everyone start beating me down..okay? The audience was made up of mainly young people and men and although they were pretty silent through most of the movie they seem to laugh a lot in the wrong places. Some of the muttering I heard was not what I wanted to hear!! Now that's just in this area which consist of a lot of small towns so who knows?? Actually I really can't say anymore about the movie but in my final analysis I'm walking away not loving it but then again it's not my type of movie anyway...Would I buy the DVD?? Absolutely!!! Gawd I hope I haven't ruffled any feathers but I just can't say things that I really don't feel so please forgive me for being so candid and remember this ..This is JMO!! And who the Hell am I anyway???

:doh: Fran

Three high school age boys approached my seat and one of them asked ..."Is anyone sitting next to you?" I'm a brat, and I said..."it looks like you are"

To which he said..."Ok you can be my date!".....**not to mention your mother** haha

Marianne

:funnyabove: Marianne, you are my hero!! :kisswink:

Nancy :rotflmao:

Hey Fran! You didn't say anything wrong. You said how you feel and that's always cool. There hasn't been a film made that would appeal to everybody, so no worries. And hey, you made my siggie so we KNOW how good your taste is. :lol:

My brain is actually a bit numbed I think from seeing this movie twice today. If I wasn't so exhausted, I'd be out seeing it for the third time with the big Friday night crowd. For me, I am stunned and amazed at this movie. It is not the kind of movie that I usually go for. But after seeing the trailers and of course all the pre-release stuff, I had to go.

I went last night with my 17 year old son. I was definitely one of the few females in the audience and quite possibly the oldest one from what I could see. I'm in my early 40's so this crowd was full of babies. :lol:

I was blown away by how commanding Gerry was when he was on screen. He WAS the King, no doubt about it. The interaction between Leonidas and his Queen was beautiful. When he was first speaking with the messenger and turned to her with the unasked question of what to do. That barely perceptible (sp) nod that she gave absolutely spoke volumes as to what their relationship was really like. And when he was leaving... I could feel the ache in her heart. Their love scene was beautiful to watch.

Marcia, I have to agree about the thighs of wonder. The scene when he is sitting on her bed. I was barely breathing! I have to say, Gerry has come a long way from his cute little rear scene in Mrs. Brown. Those workouts were apparently quite effective. :cunning:

Zach made this novel literally come to life on the screen. It had the complete feel of the comic book with the way the special effects were done. I loved the color palette of the movie in the various scenes. It's hard to describe this movie, actually, because there are so many parts of it that are visually stunning.

It was funny, my son said I didn't embarass him but the scene between Gerry and his queen as well as with the Oracle was a bit much for him with mom right next to him. Poor guy. :lol:

Hey Fran! You didn't say anything wrong. You said how you feel and that's always cool. There hasn't been a film made that would appeal to everybody, so no worries. And hey, you made my siggie so we KNOW how good your taste is. :lol:

My brain is actually a bit numbed I think from seeing this movie twice today. If I wasn't so exhausted, I'd be out seeing it for the third time with the big Friday night crowd. For me, I am stunned and amazed at this movie. It is not the kind of movie that I usually go for. But after seeing the trailers and of course all the pre-release stuff, I had to go.

I went last night with my 17 year old son. I was definitely one of the few females in the audience and quite possibly the oldest one from what I could see. I'm in my early 40's so this crowd was full of babies. :lol:

I was blown away by how commanding Gerry was when he was on screen. He WAS the King, no doubt about it. The interaction between Leonidas and his Queen was beautiful. When he was first speaking with the messenger and turned to her with the unasked question of what to do. That barely perceptible (sp) nod that she gave absolutely spoke volumes as to what their relationship was really like. And when he was leaving... I could feel the ache in her heart. Their love scene was beautiful to watch.

Marcia, I have to agree about the thighs of wonder. The scene when he is sitting on her bed. I was barely breathing! I have to say, Gerry has come a long way from his cute little rear scene in Mrs. Brown. Those workouts were apparently quite effective. :cunning:

Zach made this novel literally come to life on the screen. It had the complete feel of the comic book with the way the special effects were done. I loved the color palette of the movie in the various scenes. It's hard to describe this movie, actually, because there are so many parts of it that are visually stunning.

It was funny, my son said I didn't embarass him but the scene between Gerry and his queen as well as with the Oracle was a bit much for him with mom right next to him. Poor guy. :lol:

Thanks Jilly I feel so bad that I had this reaction and not as thrilled as everyone else. I do agree that Gerry was brilliant as usual and made you think KNOW he was the king!! I just had to tell you my sister and I both said the same thing on the way home about the difference in Mrs Brown cute butt scene and the moonlit one...I'd say HRH has filled out quite well!!! :cunning:

:heat: Fran

Ok, I did not read all the replies yet,, I can not see it til Sunday, so Ill be back then. :kisswink:

I.........

Don't know where to start...what to say. Because I'm a jumble of emotions after *looks at watch* six and a half hours of seeing it, STILL a jumble....

Man, I just don't know what to say! I'm completely blown away by this film...just....amazed....it pulled my heart and emotions every which way...I think the hardest part on my heart was watching Gorgo finding out her worst fears...that her husband was indeed dead. But many others were runners-up.

I can't even type what I'm thinking/feeling! I'm usually pretty steady with writing such, but I just can't, for the life of me...how does one film do that to me? How does the Leading Man of said film do that to me?

I can't wait to see this again.

~Mel

Guest Aislinn

Hi Sweet Gals,

Okay, I was lucky enough to see 300 at the Hollywood Premiere and am planning to see it again on IMAX tomorrow. But here is my review of the film from my website.

"300" (2007) Directed by Zack Snyder, 300 is destined to be the most memorable, outstanding film of 2007. Based on Frank Miller's graphic novel, 300 stars Gerard Butler (okay, everyone sigh!) as King Leonidas, Lena Headey, David Wenham, Michael Fassbender, and Rodrigo Santoro.

The special effects and imagery of 300 are simply amazing. Fast-paced, brilliantly edited, and complimented by a powerful musical score, the film stays true to the vision of Frank Miller's graphic novel and comes to life through the innovative, stunning direction of Zack Snyder. When you consider that 300 was filmed against a blue screen on a closed set in Montreal, it is mind-boggling to see the visual masterpiece that Snyder has created. Unprecedented and in a class of its own, 300 is destined to usher in a new era of filmmaking.

Much has been said about the physical preparation the actors endured in making this film, and the evidence of their grueling workouts and training is evident when watching the film. But the performances by each cast member were strong, powerful, and insightful into the psyche of these men and the time in which they lived.

David Wenham co-stars as Dilios, a dedicated and valiant Spartan, who also serves as narrator to the film. Lena Headey is beautiful, intelligent and strong as Queen Gorgo. Also in the cast were wonderful performances by Michael Fassbender as Stelios, Vincent Regan as the Spartan captain, and Rodrigo Santoro as Xeres.

But the pivotal, most mesmerizing character in this film and one which was brilliantly executed by GERARD BUTLER is the role of King Leonidas. Leonidas is a complicated, intense character who comes face-to-face with destiny as he leads 300 Spartans into the famous Battle of Thermopylae in 480 B.C. Valor, honor, integrity are all components of the Spartan code -- and Leonidas personifies those traits. But he is also a man with such personal character, compassion, and devotion to his people that you can readily understand why someone would follow him to the Gates of Hell. When he says to his men, "Prepare for Glory", there is no denying his men know not only their imminent fate but that they embrace it wholeheartedly as Spartans.

GERARD BUTLER as King Leonidas possesses not only the steadfast loyalty of his men, but their respect. Yet, he is also a man who must venture forth into battle knowing the personal sacrifice his action requires. The love between King Leonidas and Queen Gorgo is hauntingly beautiful and ultimately unforgettable.

Personally, I think GERARD BUTLER gives an Oscar worthy performance. The man never ceases to amaze me with the depth and range he possesses as an actor, and his dedication to his craft. He gives 200 percent to every role, bringing not just honesty and life to the characters he plays, but gives the audience an insight into their very soul.

This film has it all! Congratulations to Zack Snyder, Frank Miller, Gerard Butler, Lena Headey, David Wenham, and everyone in the cast and crew for a truly amazing film that will endure the test of time

~ Ashley/Aislinn

I just got home a little while ago and have been sitting and trying hard how to figure out my response on it. I loved that Gerry commanded most of the movie.. I Looooooooooooved the moonlit butt and thigh scene..THUD! Holey S#%t!! The love scene was pretty intense and left little to the imagination..although it could have been done in slow motion like some of the battle scenes right Ladies?? :cunning: The end almost had me in tears and I thought it was touching. Here's my biggest problem...I didn't like the special effects ..especially the phony looking crazy animals and monsterous looking characters! Now I think this is because I'm maybe too old for this type of movie so don't everyone start beating me down..okay? The audience was made up of mainly young people and men and although they were pretty silent through most of the movie they seem to laugh a lot in the wrong places. Some of the muttering I heard was not what I wanted to hear!! Now that's just in this area which consist of a lot of small towns so who knows?? Actually I really can't say anymore about the movie but in my final analysis I'm walking away not loving it but then again it's not my type of movie anyway...Would I buy the DVD?? Absolutely!!! Gawd I hope I haven't ruffled any feathers but I just can't say things that I really don't feel so please forgive me for being so candid and remember this ..This is JMO!! And who the Hell am I anyway???

:doh: Fran

Don't feel bad, Fran...you have a right to like and dislike parts (or ALL) of any movie. I can guarantee you I have not liked all of Gerry's films (you couldn't pay me enough money to sit through Reign of Fire again, for instance, though some people adore it). Maybe this will make you feel better...while you didn't like the special effects and weird creatures (which, btw, aren't supposed to be real looking, as they are more or less the MYTH of the event as told by the survivor to recruit more soldiers), guess what *I* didn't like? I'll give you a hint. It has to do with the STAR of the movie! See, while I find those thighs to be mesmerizing and while I thought Gerry's acting sheer perfection for this rabid, over the top character, I purely hate the way he looks with the pointy beard, Caesar bangs, and the nose-distorting helmet.

I liked the love scene for its own merit (and for the Holy Buns and Holy Thighs, of course) but not because I found anything about Leonidas actually sexy. For me, the movie was stupendous in its own right, and I can't fault anything in it. But if it were the only movie I had ever seen Gerry in, I would be wondering why everyone thought him such a turn on. Good actor, yes, but I would surely wonder about the sex appeal thing. I love Gerry's face, eyes, and mouth, none of which was shown to good advantage in this movie, so (again, except for those Wond'rous Thighs) for me, King Leonidas isn't sexy. A marvelous character, one I truly cheered for and loved watching, but not one that made my heart go pitty-pat.

Now, it's MY turn to duck and run for cover.

Seriously, we all see these things differently and what works for one doesn't work for another. (I thought the slavering wolf the perfect nightmare creature, as he was meant to be, and much more frightening than a real wolf). But that's why there's vanilla, chocolate AND strawberry in the ice cream freezer at the store. Sumpin' for everyone.

Hugs,

Marcia (who figures she'll be tarred and feathered for sure now that the truth is out. Just remember folks, I LOVED Leonidas...I just don't find him sexy. Ummmm...did I mention "except for the thighs?")

Wow....King Leonides ISN'T sexy to ya?

*gulp* An erm....antonymn to my feelings! (it's all good, no worries! i happen to find leonides incredibly sexy...becoming a quick favorite of my Black Velvet)

Marcia..

Just have to say this, if I didn't in my own review on the page previous..

HELLO, THOSE THIGHS, the go on FOREVER..damn..oh....can't think....:thud:

I went to see 300 early this afternoon with a friend of mine who is a true "naysayer" about everything. She went with me out of curiosity. I'm telling you she was oohing and aahing and crying at the end. She couldn't stop talking about the movie. We went for burgers at a local diner and all through the meal she did not stop talking about Gerry and the movie. By the way, we're going to see it again 2 times next week!

If this woman could be moved about this movie - the WORLD is going to be moved!

Joanie

PS - I LOVED EVERY PART OF THE MOVIE! :claphands:

I just got back from seeing it. YEAH ME!!! (hubby was sick and we weren't going to go but he did everything he could to feel better so he could come with me, I love that man!!)

Anyway, 300. Awesome. I really really loved. I do have to say that I thought it dragged in a couple of places (oracle scene was too long) (and the slow mo was done A LOT) but I understand and appreciate the beauty of what the film created.

Actually, my favorite part is Gorgo's REVENGE!! You ROCK woman! That was hubby's fave part too.

The part with the apple was my second fave part. It just said so much but with little words.

Fran don't feel bad, I heard some laughter too at some of the mutant creatures, but honestly I don't think they understand that those are from the book. That this was not the History channel. this was Frank Miller's book on film.

And then there is Gerry. You know I hated the beard in all the pics and pre-film stuff, but I have to say while watching it I didn't mind it. It was just part of Leonidas, it set him apart. Did I find him sexy. Let me put it this way

HELL YEAH!!!

Although the love scene was too short and not explicit enough. (I also think the scratching, biting comment from Gerry was just his humor) But the thighs and butt are awe inspiring.

And Dina if you want I can see it with you on Sunday!!!

Got home from seeing the movie twice just a couple of hours ago.Really, i'm not sure I can decribe my feelings yet.Still absorbing it all.I found everything about this movie incredible.The battle scenes(fave-the continuous/slow/fast scene of Gerry.Loved the music(I got a Tyler Bates autographed one early in the week.I thought all of the main characters gave stellar performances.The visuals were stunning.

Now as far as Gerry.(better start clearing your shelves now, sweetie)Gerry's performance is by far the best he's ever done IMHO.The butt and side thigh shots took my breath away.The love scene "clips" were very erotic.Made you use a little imagination which made it even hotter.His fighting scenes were absolutely beautiful.His few comic comments, were delightful.Now... the last 10 mins were almost too much to bear for me.When the first arrow hits him, I couldn't breathe!Then when he says goodbye to Stellios I began the sobbing.When the Queen recieved her message, my heart was bleeding, then when he stands to meet his ultimate death, and finally speaking of his love for his Queen, riped my heart from my chest, then came the final shot of him with his men, laying in a "crucifixtion" position, snet me over the edge.I totally broke down through all of this.

The audience cheered, gasped, clapped and seemed ultimately enthralled.The lobby was packed clear to the door.I was so proud.

Even met some new fans.Met 3 young men.One noticed us talking about Gerry, Ended up showing him pics, explaining the site, talked about Vegas.They were amazed and kept telling us that we were cool and amazing.He even took my pic holding my photo album open to one of Gerry's picture.He even comforted Glenna sitting between us when we were crying.Very nice and funny young man.

When we ate before the show there was a guy by himself, that looked alot like G/salt & pepper, scruff same features!As an after thought we agreed we should have gotten his picture.LOL

All in All.....FOOK ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh My GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I saw it at the midnight showing last night.

First of all, I have yet another thing to thank Zach Snyder for - a 95% male audience between the ages of 18-23. THANK YOU for the pre- and post-show amusements. Oh, and them being EXTREMELY vocal in the movie. I had to squelch myself because I went with my sisters (who already deem me in need of mental help, but they liked it anyway...).

Anywho, good points:

Gerry. Gerry. GERRY! Full back-all nudity in the moonlight! Mind-blowing, synapse-frying visual effects. The cinematography was truly a work of art. And not in a few shots, in every FRIGGIN shot. It was A-friggin-mazing! The music only served to help the cinematography, and together along with the emotional build-up of the actors, I fully believe that this was like a huge male orgasm. (Well, ok, for me too, figuratively). But it was just total sensory overload. Truthfully, I could have even seen a little more blood. (SOOOO much better than Sin City, which was gory, had a convoluted plot, and was just disturbing with no real cause...)

Gerry was brilliant. Ordinarily I'm not a huge fan of "angry Gerry". But the man was complex, human, and freakin viscious as Leonidas. He WAS a lion. A lion that I'd like to know much, much more intimately. But I digress. His emotion without words (as usual) was fabulous. Honestly I wonder where he drew his anger from. But the man WAS the role. He gave his everything to it, and it was everything it should have been and more. I would have followed him. He has truly matured into an incredible artist with the presence of a King, and even injects a little humor.

Lena was very, very good. When she gave that b*stard what he deserved I actually cheered. She is such a beauty, but she gives elegance, intelligence, and a regal quality to Gorgo that was very much needed. Had they hired some beautiful-but-brainless actress with no presence, it would have been laughable.

The rest of the Spartans were great, especially the Captain and Stelios.

The love scene - the way they used the punctuation by Gorgo's breaths was amazing. SO effective. And the moonlight plus the graphic nature and the moonlight were good. Ordinarily I'd have thought it was a little much, but if they hadn't shown so much (and again, thank you for G's gasp-worthy butt pose!), I think it would have been weak in comparison to the rest of the flick.

Bad parts:

The writing. Ok, I know it's a comic book and the writing is cheesy. I do. And I fully respect that lesser actors wouldn't have been able to pull ANY of the lines off at all without being cheesy. But still...

The thrown-in weird-a** appeals to guys. Seriously, did we need the guy with sword-arms? Must the Immortals be creatures instead of men?

Xerxes. I can't help it. He looks like a big golden drag queen. Santoro's acting was good. I felt it. But still, I almost laughed. How are you intimidated by someone with a feminine swagger and golden panties? I half expected him to flip a wrist and prance down his golden stairs. I know that's horribly, horribly stereotypical of me, and I've got gay friends that don't ever do that stuff, but gees. I also know that's what he looked like in the comic. But I think they over did it.

The middle of the movie - got a little slow I know, I know, that's virtually impossible with the imagery. But in comparison with the beginning and end, it was a little long. And don't kick me out of fandom for this, but in the middle, it was almost a little too much of the Gerry Butler show. I liked Leonidas. Trust me, I like looking at Gerry for hours. But I could have done with a little more character development.

Also, I think G's accent was still a little less-stifled than I thought it would be. And if I have to see one more Oracle nipple, I'll go into nipular overload and start seizing. Not that I can't deal with them, I can. Hell, I've got two. But I'm over it. And the Ephors were certainly quite effective as the nastiest, grossest old leprous dudes out there. Ick with a capital ICK!

All together - FABULOUS. I'd see it again and again. Really, it took me awhile to compose my thoughts because I was so blown away. It was stunning in all senses. Not that I don't think it doesn't have weaknesses, but these are paltry and small in the final product. It is a work of art and I think it will endure. It's the sort that affects you deeply - the testosterone was palpable, and honestly I think I had a surge too, because when I left, I wanted to kick some arse or get laid (or both, as long as neither was gentle and cuddly). And when you get such strong feelings from a movie, well, that's the paragon of the art form.

Nine and a half stars out of ten. Which I guess rounds up to ten.

Jen

I saw 300 today...Oh,my...this film brought me in at the first shot...I cried at the end....I still remember that last image of King Leonidas from the movie...it is imprinted in my mind. As I was on the bus,all I could think of was this movie...it was amazing...

I thought that Gerry was perfect for the role of King Leonidas....he was amazing....I think this is the best role I have seen him in...I loved the close up shots of his eyes,it really showed the seriousness of the king and what he had to do to save his kingdom.