Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
zanyzombie

'300' Have You Seen It?

Ooooo, OOOOOOh, OOOOOOOH! *me, waving my hand in the air, and shouting, "Mr. Kotter, Mr. Kotter, call on meeeeeee!* (Boy, am I dating myself there!) I just thought of another thing I wanted to comment on...the MUSIC!!! I kept reading things like "loud, head-banger music" and I was expecting something AWFUL. (I took earplugs just in case, because I didn't want to leave with a splitting headache, and I often DO hate soundtracks that distract me from the movie I'm viewing...my lovely Dracula 2000, for one.)

Anyway, I was as suprised by the soundtrack as I was the overall movie. I thought the music was BRILLIANT! Barbara said "magnificent" and I agreed. It fit every scene to perfection. Those pounding drums during battle made my heart pound in synch and stirred my blood. The ominous sounding choral bits were fraught with emotion and power and just put you RIGHT IN the movie. I can't wait to buy the soundtrack, and I never DREAMED that would happen! Anyone else find the music profoundly moving?

Hugs,

Marcia

Marcia,

I got my cd last week as I preordered it from WB.It is amazing even on it's own, without the movie.It follows the movie to a tee and the titles remind you of as to what part of the movie it falls into.I was very lucky to have been one of the first 500 to order the special edition woth a booklet and pictures.Mine came with an extra booklet that was autographed my the composer for the movie, Tyler Bates.You'll love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What more can I say that all of you have said so much better?

It was awesome! All of it! I am so happy to see it receive recognition for all of its qualities. The movie public is more than ready for something new and different!

Gerry commands this movie. He shows that a strong man can also be tender. His scenes of goodbye to his wife brought tears to my eyes and broke my heart as Gerry can so eloquently do. It brings such a sense of pride to see Gerry finally get his big break. It is long overdue! The couple that sat next to me didn't know who he was but I'll guarantee you they do now! Gerry Butler and “300” will be on a lot of lips after this weekend! Go Gerry! :cheer2:

I was thrilled to see Michael Fassbender as Stelios. Michael stole my heart and took second place next to Gerry this past fall when I discovered him on BBC America's "Hex". He has acted on a lot of BBC TV and this was his first film. Go Michael!

:cheer2:

Barbara

Oh Marcia, you just reminded me again of that part when the Queen accepts the pendant from Dilios! :tissues: And when his commrade in arms reaches for his hand and they exchange those heartwrenching words! OMG!

Now see there were probably more parts to this movie that I loved! I have decided to go see it in an IMAX theater with my son-in-law and then I will most likely get the same reaction you guys all did! The theater I went to STUNK!

:kisswink: Fran

Edited by Attila Girl

I don't necessarily see this movie as an Oscar contender - they just don't seem to go for this "type" of movie.

BUT that's not to say I don't think it's fantastic. I can't wait to see it again. and again. and again......

At the second showing that I saw, there were 3 kids in the vicinity of 5 years old. I couldn't believe it. They were with guys that appeared to be their dads. Unbelievable. I think at least two of them fell asleep but they are still hearing all that.

I guess you can't regulate stupid.

FIVE year old KIDS?? Good fookin' NIGHT.

As for OSCAR contenders... I'm still holding out for that hope, just because I think this film deserves all the recognition it can get!! Not to mention our boy....

Posted Image

If it doesn't, then Hollywood is even more stupid than I originally guessed.

"We put their name to the test..."

~Mel

Well, they loved Gladiator and Braveheart. And I think this is way better than Gladiator.

Regarding people bringing little kids to R rated movies, it happens all the time. A man and woman brought their little girl who appeared to be around 8 years old to 300 on Friday afternoon, and some other people brought a baby. At least, when the baby started to cry one of them took him/her out of the theater. Sometimes they sit there and let the baby cry all through the movie. :finger:

I know it happens all the time...which makes me even more dumbfounded! You want your kid to have nightmares? Guh.

I enjoyed 300 better than both Gladiator and Braveheart for a number of reasons...

1) the stylistic nature

2) it wasn't 10 FLIPPIN' HOURS LONG (mere exaggeration, yes I know)

3) the pure aesthetic beauty of 300

And.....GERRY, of COURSE! :claphands:

~Mel

At the second showing that I saw, there were 3 kids in the vicinity of 5 years old. I couldn't believe it. They were with guys that appeared to be their dads. Unbelievable. I think at least two of them fell asleep but they are still hearing all that.

I guess you can't regulate stupid.

Hey Jill, we had them here as well. When I was out w/the Lasses on Saturday, there was two women who were near the front who got up and walked out w/their kids. The youngest looked about 18mons and the oldest about 2yrs old. WTF? And toward the end I look over and there's this guy sitting in on the steps w/his daughter between his legs and she looked about 2yrs. old. I mean come on. I went yesterday and there was a couple there w/a kid that looked about 4 yrs. old. I turn to my hubby and say "I'm so sick of seeing these babies in this movie" and he says "that's what you get when you have R rated movies and not NC-13. As long as you're an adult you can bring a kid in." As you say, you can't regulate stupid but at least try to use a bit of common sense.

Cassie

OMG I just came back from seeing it again!!! I cried like a baby this time. The last scene sent me into a fit and this lady behind me hands me a tissue and says,"this part gets me everytime"

Landa!! You go!! I swear I'd love a little 300 during the day..especially today..*sigh* I shall have to wait to see it yet once again until tomorrow night..I still don't cry but thinking how the Spartan couldn't say the words but the man dying could..KILLS ME.

It's so SO FREAKIN' GOOD.

And let me say this, I loved Gladiator and this--for me--blows Gladiator right out of the water!!!

About the little kids..on my 5th viewing there were little kids in the theater too..two of them about 6 at most..do I think they belonged there, no, but I will say, they were very very quiet, but still, way too young for that movie.

Edited by moonglow

Moon, that is exactly what got me and I could just feel the tears coming when he says,"My queen..." I tried to stop myself but it didnt work.

Here's what I posted in the Gutter SC last nite after I came home from the Midnight showing:

"OMG! OMG! OMG! OMFB!!!!!! I JUST CAME HOME FROM THE MIDNIGHT SHOW AND THERE'S NO ONE HERE TO GUSH TO!!!!

FIRST THINGS FIRST:LET ME JUST SAY...THE MOONLIT BUTT SHOT IS WORTH THE PRICE OF ADMISSION!!!

This is an "AWESOME" movie. In the truest sense of the word. It inspires awe. I was, quite simply, blown away. And The G is right, IT KICKS arse!!

:tantrum::tantrum::pointy::pointy: :yippee: :yippee: :inlove: :inlove:

That is EXACTLY what I said to my friend after we saw it in Imax on opening night!

Thank you for summing it all up for me, at least when it comes all the manflesh eyecandy this film provided, LOL.

I know it happens all the time...which makes me even more dumbfounded! You want your kid to have nightmares? Guh.

I enjoyed 300 better than both Gladiator and Braveheart for a number of reasons...

1) the stylistic nature

2) it wasn't 10 FLIPPIN' HOURS LONG (mere exaggeration, yes I know)

3) the pure aesthetic beauty of 300

And.....GERRY, of COURSE! :claphands:

~Mel

Ummmm...comparing "300" to Gladiator and Braveheart, eh? Well, for my money, it was ten thousand times better than Gladiator, but then I absolutely freakin' DETESTED Gladiator. It was the most overrated movie I ever suffered through, and was where I learned to avoid Russell Crowe and his movies like the plague. But I really can't say I enjoyed it more than Braveheart. Braveheart is one of my favorite movies EVER, and takes me back to a time before Mel went all crazy on us. But I WILL say I enjoyed it every bit as MUCH as Braveheart, though for completely different reasons. They really are oranges and apples...different subject matter, different eras, different cultures, different film styles, different moods, and different types of "reality."

Upon studied consideration, I think I'll just let "300" stand alone in my mind because it isn't like any other film I've ever seen. Whether you love it or hate it, it is a unique experience. Definitely one of a kind.

And me...I LOVED it!

Hugs,

Marcia

I'm with you on that, Marcia. I think it really stands on it's own. It's almost hard to describe to someone because it's just soooooooooo different. Unlike any other movie I've ever seen.

While I don't necessarily agree with someone that doesn't like it, I can see why it wouldn't appeal to everybody. But there isn't a movie that's been made EVER that everyone would agree on.

But it definitely appeals to me. I'm on my way in just a few minutes to see it for the third time. I've fallen behind though, compared to some other folks. :lol:

I'm going with my hubby this time. I'll have to watch the reaction to the moonlight scene. I can behave when I have to. :angel2:

Just saw it the first time today on Imax. I LOVED it. I'm still in that stupor where I can't say much yet.

I agree with all of the things those of you who loved it have already said.

What I will add is "his eyes, his eyes, his eyes".

Can't wait to see it again soon.

HELP!! I have a question for anybody who might know. A friend who couldn't see "300" last weekend is planning to go this weekend, but her local theater is showing one version of it listed as "digital" and one not. ??? I know much was made of Snyder's decision to use film instead of digital for "300" so I'm confused. Is this a mistake, or is there a digital version out there? Or does that mean that the viewing process is digital? Or does that refer to sound, only? She asked me what to do, and I'm clueless. Anybody got an idea?

Hugs,

Marcia

Here's what I posted in the Gutter SC last nite after I came home from the Midnight showing:

"OMG! OMG! OMG! OMFB!!!!!! I JUST CAME HOME FROM THE MIDNIGHT SHOW AND THERE'S NO ONE HERE TO GUSH TO!!!!

FIRST THINGS FIRST:LET ME JUST SAY...THE MOONLIT BUTT SHOT IS WORTH THE PRICE OF ADMISSION!!!

OK, I GET TO THE THEATER EARLY AND THERE'S HARDLY ANYONE THERE...I'M THINKING...HMMMM...BUT NO WORRIES, SOON THE THEATER IS FILLED TO NEARLY CAPACITY. (I OF COURSE AM IN MY FRONT ROW CENTER SEAT AND AM HAPPY AS A CLAM.) I BELIEVE THERE WERE MAYBE 4 OTHER FEMALES IN THE AUDIENCE (NOT KIDDING), THE REST COMPRISED OF HIGH SCHOOL AND COLLEGE AGED GUYS, HALF OF WHOM ARE DRUNK. THEY ARE SHOUTING AT THE SCREEN THRU THE PREVIEWS BUT THEN WHEN THE MOVIE STARTED...DEAD SILENCE. THEY WERE AS ENTHRALLED AS I WAS, ALTHOUGH IT'S PRETTY SAFE TO SAY I WAS THE ONLY ONE DROWNING IN 'THE JUICE'. BUT SWEET MARGARET MOTHER OF GERARD...HE WAS MAGNIFICENT. AND I'M NOT JUST TALKING ABOUT THE THIGHS (WHICH I THINK QUALIFY AS THE EIGHTH WONDER OF THE WORLD...I KEPT THINKING ABOUT HOW LEAN AND SLEEK HE LOOKED ON LENO AND CF...BUT I DIGRESS.) I MEAN AS AN ACTOR...IF YOU COMPARE THIS PERFORMANCE TO THAT OF SAY...ATTILA...THE MAN HAS COME SO FAR. HE IS IN PROBABLY 75% OF THE SCENES AND HE OWNS THE SCREEN! AND KNOWING, AS WE DO, WHAT WENT INTO THE MAKING OF ALL THIS...MAKES IT EVEN BETTER. VISUALLY STUNNING. EMOTIONALLY GRIPPING...I COULD GO ON AND ON. AND TYLER BATES' SCORE...PERFECT.

I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT...I'LL BE SEEING IT TWICE MORE TOMORROW!

OK, IT'S 10 MINUTES TIL 3 AND I AM WIRED. (CAN YOU TELL??) NOW WHAT?? gaaaaaahhhhh!!!! "

Since I wrote this, I've seen it again.

Let me just add that the second time I think I appreciated it more. The love between Leonidas and his Queen is palpable considering their short screen time together. When he says "MiLady" I sobbed and again at the Captain's anguish over his son's death. And I thought the final scene of the death on the battlefield, even lifted as it was from the pages of Miller's book, looked like a stained glass window.

This is an "AWESOME" movie. In the truest sense of the word. It inspires awe. I was, quite simply, blown away. And The G is right, IT KICKS arse!!

I really enjoyed 300. It was visually beautiful. Gerry was HOT! Oh my gosh. I had been waiting for this movie. It was the first Gerry movie I have seen in the theater. I saw 300 on opening night. Lots of teenage boys were there. My husband liked 300 too. I thought 300 was a cross between: Lord of the rings, Gladiator, and Matrix. I can't wait to see 300 again. Keep bringing on the movies Gerry, your awesome! I am a fan for life. Mary :claphands:

I saw this movie on Wednesday.... it was definitely one of the best movies i've seen in years... and i saw the Matrix opening night, as well as LOTR opening night.... this will probably be a great contender for the awards shows to come.

Yes, I know this is a Gerry fansite... however, it was more than just Gerry's acting (which he did a phenomenal job of bringing Leonidas to life onscreen)... this movie inspired me to look at the life of the Spartans... research their culture... learn about how their achievements and failures have come to shape our world today.

I think that is what truly makes a movie great... not just when a hot lookin, half nekkid Scotsman stands there in perfect form as if God built him with his own 2 hands (had to be said).... it's when it makes you think, beyond the actors, and the graphics, and action sequences.

Guest greyeyegoddess

Hi CanuckGal,

I can completely understand what you are saying. I was most impressed also with the whole cast, even the bad guy, and I don't usually do that. If I don't like the bad guy, I just don't-even if he was a good actor.

It does make you think beyond the movie. Thanks for sharing!

Did any of our European fans get to see the movie at the premiere?

~alice

:music:

Got inspired...wrote some thoughts down:

March 16, 2007

I just saw 300 for the second time tonight. Yes, I have spent over $70 in a week to see this movie. I spent opening weekend at the IMAX in Nashville, which was INCREDIBLE. Words cannot describe what it was like on IMAX.

I’m finally inspired (and have no distractions tonight) to write a review. Actually, two reviews, one for the thoughts and feelings the first time and then my thoughts and feelings on the second viewing.

I went to this movie to support our dearest actor Gerard Butler. Gosh saying his name gives me chills. It is THE movie to see on IMAX, let alone my first.

When the movie began, I was in awe of the cinematography and graphics. And then Gerry, as King Leonidas, came on screen. He commanded the screen, from his first words to his son to his last: “My queen, my wife, my love.”

I wanted to scream back “I love you too!” but then people would think I’m weird. You know…

Back on topic: The first time I saw the movie, on the great big IMAX screen (which I still am in awe of especially after seeing it on a regular screen tonight…so not the same) I sat with my mouth wide open, watching Gerry’s every move. Listening intently to every word, not to mention his incredible Scottish lilt he has, which is ADORABLE!

Gerry commanded the screen. He IS Leonidas, much like his line THIS IS SPARTA!

This second time was different. I noticed little things I didn’t notice before. But this time I paid more attention to the detail of the movie. Each shot is a piece of art. I really hope this movie gets some Oscar nods. Damn the Academy if they shun it in any category.

Gerry’s performances are amazing in each and every role he plays. I’ve just gotten to ‘know’ his career this past year by catching Phantom on satellite one night (I know, where in the heck have I been?) I’ve been wondering the same thing. LOL.

I fell in love with him then. (Of course not the love love…you know what I mean I hope.) I’ve since watched Attila, Dear Frankie (which I absolutely LOVED!!!), Beowulf and Grendel (helps I read the story back in high school), Timeline, Reign of Fire and One Last Kiss. I own Reign of Fire, Timeline and Phantom now.

But his performance in 300 was very different than those others listed above. In all his performances, he gives his all and gets very much into character, but as Leonidas, he led those men into a war without any regrets or fear. That is something to be admired very much.

He also showed passion and love for his queen, his fellow countrymen, and determined to save his city. That is a true leader. Someone who is selfless and willing to sacrifice everything, even his kingship for those things he loves so dear. Gerry showed that as Leonidas.

There’s just something about Gerry on-screen and off-screen that makes him so loveable. I haven’t been able to grasp what it is, but I think it’s because he appreciates his fans and adores them as much as we adore him.

We admire a unique man because of that. And I want him to know that I am dedicated to supporting his career no matter what because he appreciates my admiration.

There’s so much more to be said about this wonderful man, but I just don’t know what else there is to say.

I loved this movie and the cinematography and graphics. Kudos and Zack and the rest of the production crew for a great movie. It truly is a piece of art.