Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
zanyzombie

'300' Have You Seen It?

.....The dialog is fantastic. It's supposed to be over the top. It's war and it's mythmaking. The narrator, storyteller's function is to give us key statements that are memorable and that somehow represent the gutsy, courageous nature of the fray. One of my favorites--and it has to do with Gerry's delivery--is when the Persian asks/tells them to put down their weapon's and Leonides whooshes his shield into place, along with everyone else, and says "Come and get them!" Well you can't get more cliché than that, but it was very effective for me.

sadie

After watching the History Channel's show about the actual battle, many of those lines really were said at the time. "Come and get them" was one and a slightly different version of "then we will fight in the shade." I loved knowing that. Cliche? No way. These guys were the originals. :lol:

And I totally agree with you guys about Gerry "supposedly" just yelling his lines. Okay. In a war situation where the enemy is getting ready to annihilate you, you want someone sitting around telling Sunday School stories in a library voice? I don't think so. *sigh*

You go girl, Issy. Enjoy #8! I'm at seven so far. I'm hoping for 8 and 9 next week but this weekend is a wee bit booked up with RL stuff. *double sigh*

I adore the dialogue, and the movie! Tonight will be #8 for me, and I'm hoping for at least 10 shows! It's not just Gerry, either, but the whole movie. The visuals are stunning, the dialogue is funny, heartwrenching, empowering, chilling, and yes, sometimes a bit overblown, but always engrossing, the music is fantastic, and the eyecandy...HOLY FOOKIN' HELL!!!

Issy

Issy, if you need someone to go with you... I would LOVE to see it with you again! (that way, I could pay you back for the other two shows I owe you!)

Call me!

Swannie

There's a beautiful contrast I've been meaning to talk about...

When we first see Xerxes, his slaves are carrying that giant thing he's standing on...and as he descends to speak with Leonides, they quickly create stairs out of their backs for him to step on.

Fast forward to the end of the film, where Leonides supposedly kneels at Xerxes' feet. He, the king, uses his own back so that Stelios, one of his soldiers, can leap from a higher surface for better battle leverage.

I just love that.

~Mel

Wow, Mel. I hadn't thought about those two scenes in that way before but you are absolutely right.

Just like when Xerxes proclaims that he would kill any of his men to win and Leonidas replies that he would die for any of his.

LOVE this movie.

Guest greyeyegoddess

When we first see Xerxes, his slaves are carrying that giant thing he's standing on...and as he descends to speak with Leonides, they quickly create stairs out of their backs for him to step on.

I always giggle at that part. I don't know why.

~alice

:music:

Guest greyeyegoddess

I think I'm getting addicted to the movie....I've been sneaking out 15 minutes early this week to watch the last matinee near work. I won't even say how many times :stars: ...and getting out early from work isn't easy to do around here. I guess I'm worried that it won't play anywhere when Spiderman comes out. Phantom lasted a while, even with other big movies...what...from Christmas to March or so?

Would you believe that the theater is still at least half full around 5 pm? The theater closest to me is playing it at least 5 times a day. Others near by will be cutting it down to twice a day by Friday. It's slowly going away....

~alice

I've been forgetting to look at this thread. I am LOL at all the funny comments. I loved the good dental plan and the effers (I've now seen the fillings in Gerry's roaring scene-funny!). :rotflmao:

I have snuck out five times to see 300 ( movie theatre with great sound system is right down the road from me). My husband thinks I've only seen it twice. Anyway, I always tell him I saw something else, and read the reviews ahead of time to sound like I know what I'm talking about. I "saw" The Reaping last weekend, but I told him it was "dumb" after I looked at Rotten Tomatoes (Sorry Hilary H., it does look dumb).

It now seems like I am the only girl in the audience of fanboys. I never sit near them because they fool around and goof off during all the previews and I panic that they will do that throughout the film. The funniest thing is that they quickly become mesmerized when the movie begins and are completely silent. Amazing thing to see-calm, attentive 13 year old boys. You know they've seen it a gazillion times too.

I have more favorite parts now-Gerry's sweet, soulful look when he tells Ephialtes he hopes he lives forever (maybe that is in part an insult because true Spartans want to die on the battlefield?)

When the boy king draws the wolf into that narrow passage-I think it is a foreshadowing of the Hot Gates. This is very cool on Frank Miller's part. He nods at the wolf like "just try to come and get me you dirty hairy thing."

When he and Stelios hold hands as they are dying-especially because Gerry played it real-he looks like he is really in pain-almost in tears- as opposed to most action heroes who act like they feel nothing when they croak off. He is such an intuitive and vulnerable artist.

Also, when Leo slices Xerxes cheek-he also tears up and looks like he is in pain at that moment too.

When Gorgo slaps Dominic West, he sort of gives me 'the hots." I admit it.

I am more and more impressed with the Captain guy. His eye color is very lovely in that premiere video (London?) and he was very believable in the bloodlust crazy father scene.

More unfavorite moments (I'm glad people are admitting they have them too): my husband will roll his eyes when Leo says "Children! Children!" He never refers to them as kids at any other time in the film and it seems disingenuous or cliche to me.

Also, the darkened face of the Persian who bribes what's his guts-Dominic West's slimey character-in the tower thingie. My husband will absolutely roll his eyes at that one-even though it is in the book, it is distracting in my view and it takes away from the overall artistry of the film-people always laugh.

I still can't stand that end speech by Dilios-"There the Persians huddle..." or whatever it is- makes me feel embarrassed for him.

Here is a rare, but weak moment for Gerry: when Daxos rides up frantically the night before the last battle, Leo says "Daxos! Calm yourself!" it looks like he might have been doing his 27th take of this line. I'll bet it was a Friday night at 10 pm and he needed a "fag."

That's the only moment I don't believe Gerry as the king.

Oh-and one more-Ephialtes looks like he is wearing those blue swim diapers my kids used to wear in the pool when he genuflects before Xerxes. I can only look at those shorts for some reason when I watch that part for some reason.

What a talented guy, Gerry is though-his strongest film and acting yet. I wish they wouldn't focus on the action part of it so much in the press. I know Gerry is prob thrilled about his stunt award, but I also think he would like some accolades for his portrayal of Leo.

I have seen 300 it and it is one of my favourite Gerry's movies.

The first time I saw him in a movie it was in Lara Croft Tomb Raider the Cradle of Life ...

About 300 his performance as King Leonidas is great! He expresses a great dramatism in his role. I like the fight scenes. It is an original movie!

I like movies about historical genre and I miss to watch more movies about this type of genre.

I think there are so many ancient and interesting historical characters for to make a movie. And I would like to see him again as another type of historical character... ;)

I've seen "300" probably around 4 times so far. I didn't see it in the theaters (laziness at the time), but I got it when it first came out on dvd. It gets better & better each time I've seen it! Luv watching the Spartans--it's big-time "skin-flik" for me in that regard. :swoon::shower: The action is over-the top, and the soundtrack and artwork is top-notch. Oh, and thanks to this movie and certain GALS, I found out about Michael Fassbender! :thankyou:

I just saw the film for the first time last weekend and wanted to share my thoughts on it. I haven't had a chance to read through this entire thread (it's very long), so I don't know if anyone will share my opinion. I'm pretty sure it will be in the minority though, but I wanted to post a review anyway.

Let me start out with saying I'm a new Gerry fan and over the last few weeks have been watching as many of his films as I could get my hands on. I had heard of "300" last year, but it had never sparked my interest and I wasn't a Gerry fan at the time. Now since becoming a fan I knew I was gonna watch it, but it wasn't at the top of my to watch list, in fact it was very near the bottom, as I'm no fan of action movies, they simply don't appeal.

But still I went into it trying to be positive. On the positive side I think Gerry does a brilliant acting job with what he is given. I would have loved it if he'd had more dialogue or we'd had more insight into the King's life before he goes off to battle, but I guess that's not what the movie is supposed to be about. But I love drama, and I love heavy dialogue pieces, and I guess this just wasn't going to be one of those films.

I do love the close ups we get of Gerry, his eyes especially. He seems to convey so much feeling within them. That was great. I also really liked Lena and her role as Queen. All the stuff that happened back in Sparta after the King left with her and the council was very interesting. For me that was probably one of the more interesting parts of the film.

Overall though, sadly I have to say this really wasn't my cup of tea and I can't see myself watching it again. The violence was just too much for me, graphic and stomach churning. I had to turn away or fast forward the battle scenes several times. I guess I will never understand why gore and violence is considered entertaining. Well it isn't for me. I can understand the need for making things realistic -- I think the opening sequence of "Saving Private Ryan" is quite horrific, but the film isn't just that -- there is a lot more to it. With "300", there was too much emphasis on the battle scenes for me. Again, yes I realize that's what the film is about, but I guess that's why I didn't like it.

I also feel that the whole fantasy side of it with the weird CGI stuff made me not want to take the film seriously. I guess it was meant to be this way since it is based on a comic book. If it had been filmed as a straight historical drama on location without the CGI, maybe I would have liked it more. Though I still feel it needed more dialogue, I'd rather a mix of drama and action, than just all action and fighting.

The Persian king was just way over the top, imo. I don't know why they gave him that metallic voice, but again this made me not take the film seriously. The deformed guy was kind of silly as well, as if they'd borrowed a character from Lord of the Rings. But again, I'm guessing this was probably done on purpose to give the film a fantasy feel.

I admit that I don't quite understand the appeal of the film -- but then I guess I've never been a fan of huge blockbusters or action movies. I do like historical dramas though -- and while Attila was violent in parts, I really enjoyed the story there, and I wish I could say the same for "300", but sadly I can't.

I'm very happy that the film was such a success for Gerry, but at the end of the day films like "Dear Frankie", "Shattered/Butterfly on a Wheel" or "Phantom of the Opera" are much more up my street.

Oh I just wanted to add -- I wondered for a while if Gerry was wearing contact lenses as his eyes seem brown for most of the film, but then I guess it was the way it was filmed in a sepia tone -- am I right? I did miss his natural eye color.

Anyway I hope I haven't offended anyone, I'm sorry I didn't like the film much, but I hope it's okay to post what I have. And just out of curiosity, is there anyone that felt similar to me?

Thanks for reading!

Guest greyeyegoddess

It was either the way it was filmed or the way it was colored in productions. Most of the actors have light colored eyes and they all looked dark in the movie.

The reason Xerxes voice was made that way was because Rodrigo's voice is much higher and it probably didn't seem right to have someone who was feared by many, speak with a higher, softer voice.

Nah you didn't offend. Everyone has their favorite Gerry movies. I admit that I love 300 and it's probably my favorite Gerry movie for a lot of different reasons. I love watching Gerry in action, similar to Attila. As many know, POTO is not on my top favorite. So as long as Gerry can make movies that appeal to different people, he'll gather more fans, and they will have opportunities to experience various genres.

~alice

Hi Monica,

300 is definitely a movie that isn't going to appeal to everyone. I was actually surprised that I ended up liking it as much as I did because typically, that sort of movie just isn't my thing either. I think you did a great job explaining why certain parts of it didn't appeal to you. Nothing wrong with that!

If you like Dear Frankie and Phantom, I'd love to suggest The Jury to you. It was a British mini-series that I think is one of Gerry's best performances. I got it on Netflix originally, before I bought it.

Take care!

The reason Xerxes voice was made that way was because Rodrigo's voice is much higher and it probably didn't seem right to have someone who was feared by many, speak with a higher, softer voice.

Okay, thanks for the explanation!

Nah you didn't offend. Everyone has their favorite Gerry movies. I admit that I love 300 and it's probably my favorite Gerry movie for a lot of different reasons. I love watching Gerry in action, similar to Attila. As many know, POTO is not on my top favorite. So as long as Gerry can make movies that appeal to different people, he'll gather more fans, and they will have opportunities to experience various genres.

~alice

See I like Attila -- I enjoyed the story and the quieter moments -- the stuff going on in Rome, the romance with N'Kara, the rivalry with his brother etc. Of course Attila is 3 hours long so we got more time to flesh out the characters, plus the story wasn't just about one battle, it covered a lot of years.

If you like Dear Frankie and Phantom, I'd love to suggest The Jury to you. It was a British mini-series that I think is one of Gerry's best performances. I got it on Netflix originally, before I bought it.

Oh I've seen The Jury already. Absolutely LOVED it! One of Gerry's best roles by far.

Well, I'm FINALLY going to see this movie! I noticed it's on HBO cable on demand now, so I will be DEMANDING Gerry this weekend! I can't believe I haven't seen it yet. ANd the best part is that I can pause the movie anytime I want!

:D Wendy

I bought 300 on DVD because it was on sale for $13.99. I never did see it in the theater.

I wasn't too excited about this movie. It was hard for me to take it seriously. I enjoyed the special effects and some portions of the movie. But the battle scenes were too much. I think the best part of the movie was this line....

"THIS........IS.........SPARTA!!!!!!" :leo2:

And that's about it.

I did go see "Meet The Spartans" before I saw 300 though. So that may have been why I couldn't take 300 very seriously. A friend of mine said that her favorite part of the movie was the red capes. lol....The whole movie got even weirder when Xerxes showed up. I mean, how creepy was that character? ick.

I have been recently infected with the Gerry bug so I am now in the process of keeping up with Gerry's filmography. I saw "300" a couple of days ago and I was surprised I liked it. I had the feeling this film wasn't going to be my cup of tea but I was completely wrong. Even being an enterteinment film there are several interesting elements :dancer: .

Visually it is a very powerful film. I have never seen before anything like this. The colours, the close-ups, the fights... yes, I even enjoyed the slow motion fighting scenes that are pretty bloody, not being at all a fan of violent films. It is like a beautiful choreography and the Spartan army is so synchronized ... Sure they had to train and rehearse very hard to achieve that high level performance.

There are beautiful values underneath: honour, loyalty, bravery, respect, democracy, sacrifice, love. I felt moved with the impassioned speeches of King Leonidas to his men and Queen Sorgo to the Congress. Several punch lines that resonate afterwards and did anyone else feel compelled to shout HA-OOH! HA-OOH! HA-OOH? :p

The relationship between Queen Gorgo and King Leonidas is beautiful. With almost a couple of scenes you get to know how much they love, support and respect each other. It is a relationship between equals. Beautifully played :wuv:

The end is awesome. That epic touch, those unbeatable lines "My Queen, my life, my love" and the exchange between Stelios and Leonidas... I couldn't avoid some tears rolling down my cheek.

Well and 300 hunky men is always a bonus :drool1::D:D:D

Anesidora -- You loved 300 for all the same reasons that I did. I'm usually not one for violent and/or graphic movies but there were a lot of things about this movie that absolutely captured my attention and held it the whole time. Glad you enjoyed it.

:welcome: I hope you enjoy getting to know Gerry through his movies.

:wave:

Anesidora -- You loved 300 for all the same reasons that I did. I'm usually not one for violent and/or graphic movies but there were a lot of things about this movie that absolutely captured my attention and held it the whole time. Glad you enjoyed it.

:welcome: I hope you enjoy getting to know Gerry through his movies.

:wave:

:thankyou: for your welcome... you can be sure I am having a blast discovering Gerry, I am pretty sure now that :igotgals: ... and I am proud of that :D :D :D :D

I love, love, love this movie! It is my favorite Gerry movie along with POTO. The story is moving (all the more so because it is based on historical fact), the visual effects are stunning, the soundtrack is awesome and Gerry was phenomenal as Leonidas. There are only a couple of scenes that I could have done without...the explicit sexuality actually bothered me much more than the violence which was very stylized. I actually loved the "warrior ballet." Leo is my hero!

:leo2::leo:

Thumbs Up!

A definate addition to my movie collection.

It wasn't exactly how I would have filmed the movie (sexual content)

All in all I enjoyed the movie and it made it into my collection.

Favorite things:

Battle Scenes

When King Leonidas says, " There's no reason we can't be civilized."

When the Queen says "Only Spartan women give birth to real men."

My favorite the storyteller.

All that sold me on adding it into my collection.

Gosh I keep going back to this one.

Definately the storyteller was my favorite part in the movie.

I watched it the other day and just hearing him tell the story really played a big part in the movie.

I know you're thinking what your not watching it over and over again because of all the men?

That's an added bonus.

:)

I can't help it I love that part...................

I absolutely adored this film. When I first saw it, it was at the Glasgow Film Theatre during the GB Con last year. I had seen it advertised on TV a few months before and was intrigued to see it. I remember seeing the shot where the Persians are being pushed over the cliff in silhouette and this scene really got to me. When the film had finished, I could not speak. I was totally overwhelmed by what I had just seen. I thought every aspect from the CGI to the fight scenes and love scenes were superb. The belief of fighting for what you believe in was portrayed so well with extreme conviction. The acting was great and Gerard's Leonidas was brilliant. He put his all in to that character, so full of depth and passion.

Doesn't he just play those deep, passionate characters so well?!!!

It is one of my all time best films.

I LOVED 300. I've seen it so many times now, i've lost count.

I loved how it was filmed. I thought Gerry brought such passion and depth to Leo's character that the film wouldn't have been at all the same without him.

And the love scene. Well what can I say about that? Wish I was there!

And the love scene. Well what can I say about that? Wish I was there!

Oh yes, I totally agree...!!