Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Swansong

Gerry's ROAR!!!!!!

Something came to me as I watched 300 the third time, and after reading several reviews characterizing Gerry's Leonidas as "Blustery... bellowing... ferocious...over-the-top."

Watching G as the Spartan king is very reminiscent of watching classic actors from the Golden era of Hollywood, primarily in the action or Western genre. There are moments in this film when Gerry reminds me of Burt Lancaster, Charlton Heston, John Wayne or Glen Ford. He has that same gruff masculine persona... tough as nails and confident in his vocal inflections, body language and facial expressions.

Like these classic stars of the golden age... he's gritty and decidedly male, which is why I think he may have had such a hard time establishing himself as a leading man in Hollywood. However, unlike these men, Gerry nearly always brings an emotional intelligence and sensibility to his roles, in the fashion of James Dean, Richard Burton and Montgomery Clift. Gerry is a mixture of hard and soft, but his masculinity sacrifices nothing for the heart and soul he imbues his characters with.

Does Hollywood even know what to do with an actor like this?

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

Something came to me as I watched 300 the third time, and after reading several reviews characterizing Gerry's Leonidas as "Blustery... bellowing... ferocious...over-the-top."

Watching G as the Spartan king is very reminiscent of watching classic actors from the Golden era of Hollywood, primarily in the action or Western genre. There are moments in this film when Gerry reminds me of Burt Lancaster, Charlton Heston, John Wayne or Glen Ford. He has that same gruff masculine persona... tough as nails and confident in his vocal inflections, body language and facial expressions.

Like these classic stars of the golden age... he's gritty and decidedly male, which is why I think he may have had such a hard time establishing himself as a leading man in Hollywood. However, unlike these men, Gerry nearly always bring an emotional intelligence and sensibility to his roles, in the fashion of James Dean and Montgomery Clift. Gerry is a mixture of hard and soft, but his masculinity sacrifices nothing for the heart and soul he imbues his characters with.

Swannie

IMO - NO! Hollywood hasn't a clue. Think of all the really "big" stars right now. The 20 million dollar guys under 50 years old. Few are successful in roles requiring convincing leadership, especially in costume. They are boys (even when over 40!), not men. Gerry WAS Leonidas and completely convincing as a MAN who other men would give their lives for. One really does need to go back to the actors of old to find such a man - Wayne, Heston, and Lancaster would certainly fill the bill. I hope 300 shows TPTB that Gerry can play many such parts and that he can do both historical and contemporary dramas convincingly, something sorely lacking in many of the Hollywood celebs today.

I've always been a fan of John Wayne, since I was a kid, blame my father, he used to watch the movies all the time..so I love the more "masculine" actors, that tough as nails sort, but still not too tough that you don't like them (actually Gerry's hands always remind me of John Wayne's) Now, he does have the perfect combination of that masculinity and the ability to show his emotions at the same time, he's a MAN'S MAN that also has a heart, he isn't a pretty boy that can't act, he isn't the actor that can only do action and nothing else, he's an actor that is so versatile and at the same time such a MAN and has that keen ability to have his emotions right there under the surface.

I'm not sure they do know what to do with him, maybe a sort of action, manly, but still sort of a bad boy with a heart that isn't afraid to let his emotions show right in his eyes..now that would be a great role..sort of like Leonidas, but toned down a bit..almost like that scene in the bedroom.

Now if they could do a remake of "The Quiet Man" that would have been a GREAT role for him.

Variety.com actually is reporting that he may MAY sign on to do a remake of "Escape from New York" with the writer of "Black Hawk Down" rewriting the original.

Edited by moonglow

Hollywood is like the government---it's not here to serve us. They exist to promote themselves (make money) & protect their own interests. Mainstream is the way to go to achieve that in Hollywood. No one wants to lose money(understandable) & they get paranoid easily. Like Red Death says--his managers belong in an office--not the arts! Some of the best movies in years are the independent ones! So does Hollywood know what to do with an actor of Gerry's magnitude? All I know he is definitely a rare phenomena! I don't even know if mainstream is worthy! Hopefully the doors of opportunity will open for him and allow him the roles he truly would like to play.

Debrasue

I absolutely agree with you Swannie! Hollywood does not have a clue what to do with someone like Gerry! Which is what worries me about the future of his career. He is so much of a throwback to the manly men of old Hollywood that they will either typecast him in period films only or they will try to move him into more mainstream films, like a Tom Cruise. Which is not bad as long as it is a quality film, not some of crap they dish out to the public now. I used to be a big movie goer, but there is so many bad, lame or ridiculous movies out there that I refuse to spend my hard earned money on them. :(

I pray Gerry keeps his high standards and refuses to sign on to a movie just for a paycheck!

It is funny you mentioned two of the men I had mad crushes on when I was growing up...Charlton Heston and Richard Burton who Gerry reminds me of a combination of the two. :heat:

Edited by Scorpio613