Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
moomoo22

GALS know the best parts of 300

Am I the only one who noticed the smallpox vaccination on Daxos' (Andre Pleavin's) arm?

I NOTICED FOR SURE!!! I thought to myself, "Hmm. I wonder if they're going to include that as a "time reference discrepancy" in the movie books..."

I noticed his AND Lena Heady's too!!! Her's is noticeable in a few shots!

Am I the only one who noticed the smallpox vaccination on Daxos' (Andre Pleavin's) arm?

I NOTICED FOR SURE!!! I thought to myself, "Hmm. I wonder if they're going to include that as a "time reference discrepancy" in the movie books..."

I noticed it, too, from my first viewing and TRY MY BEST NOT to notice the next times, but poof! there it is.

The main thing that I didn't like, and was glaringly obvious to me, was when Leo is about to get his head ripped off by the giant dude with the razor teeth. Where in the world was Daxos and the Arcadians?! (Andrew Pleavin - yum! although I wish Daxos had been more like Orestes from Attila!) Finally, after Leo saves his own life and beheads the drooling giant dude, he still has to get up and shout to Daxos that he's ready for them to attack! Then, Daxos steps out from the shrubbery at STOPS and looks around a bit, before finally telling his men to charge! Then, they have to step around him to get into the battle!

My take on the Gorgo thing with the water and the well is this: Just as Leonidas would focus and his senses would sharpen on the nature around him when he was preparing for battle, (as he did with the killing of the wolf, the Persian messenger, and finally, his final showdown with Xerxes), so was Gorgo preparing for her own 'battle' with the Council, and the water was like her own senses sharpening and focusing on an element of nature. But, I like everyone else's take on that aspect too.

One other personal note: There's a line in the graphic novel that I'm glad did NOT make it into the movie, and it's one of the first lines in the novel, where one of the 300 calls his comrade a 'clown'. I was like WTF? They didn't have no stinkin' clowns back then! So, kudos to Zack or whoever's responsible for taking out that reference!

Guest greyeyegoddess

The main thing that I didn't like, and was glaringly obvious to me, was when Leo is about to get his head ripped off by the giant dude with the razor teeth. Where in the world was Daxos and the Arcadians?! (Andrew Pleavin - yum! although I wish Daxos had been more like Orestes from Attila!) Finally, after Leo saves his own life and beheads the drooling giant dude, he still has to get up and shout to Daxos that he's ready for them to attack! Then, Daxos steps out from the shrubbery at STOPS and looks around a bit, before finally telling his men to charge! Then, they have to step around him to get into the battle!

As part of the audience, we get caught up in the whole fight scene. I didn't realize at my first viewing that the Arcadians weren't fighting with the Spartans. I thought they were there, just not being filmed. Weren't the Arcadians told to wait? Somewhere I thought that happened. It was all tactics. Yeah, my first reaction would have been "Do something to help the guy!" I don't know where the scales balance on that thought.

It's interesting to see the characters of Arcadians in this movie. I was rewatching the Scorpion King over the weekend, another made up movie, but the Rock plays an Arcadian. Really different from 300. Ah, the make-believe journey of movies...

~alice

:music:

Susan and Mel, your thorough essays on this subject have been quite enlightening.

~alice

:music:

LOL, I've been writing essays for the past *how many?* years I've been in college...guess it sticks with ya. :D

~Mel

You guys are soooo funny. :funnyface: I tend to be quite the movie cynic, so that's why I started the topic. I am really hard on movies and if there are too many "weak" moments in a film I am very quickly disappointed. There really weren't all that many..I thought of a couple of other ones, though, me being me. (I've seen it 4x now). :kisswink: !

During the narration, David W. says something during one of the big battle scenes which was something like "Its what we were trained to do, what we were BORN to do" I shook my head and cringed. You can say the line before he does at that point! My hubby is just going to give me total shite about that line. It is is like something out of a sports car commercial (may this is Zack's influence from commercial realm?).

Also, the speech at the end where he says something like "There stand the barbarian horde, blah, blah" it is again so cheesy and melodramatic and trite. It always makes me cringe, and goes on and on for too long, as someone else said. :tantrum:

I'll tell you where the narration did work for me, however, and that was when it was used sparingly and meaningfully, such as the scene in which Gorgo and Leo were saying goodbye as some of you have noted. That was actually tastefully and meaningfully narrated. It also worked well for me at the death scene-eg Leo roaring like a lion, etc. Nicely done and the music is awesome there as well.

The other narrative part I liked was when the Immortals made their appearance. The only thing is that "hubris" is usually pronounced like "hew-bris" and not "hoo-bris" which bothered me. I guess either pronounciation is accepted, although the former is more widely used. Unless hoobris is the Greek pronounciation.

It doesn't help to argue about the script or elements of the film having to be being true to the graphic novel and that's why they were mandatory parts of the film, etc. 90% or more of the 300 audience will have no history with or interest in the graphic novel (like myself). A film like this should stand on its own, as a form of art in its own right, which can be enjoyed by a wider audience rather than just the comic con-ers. That's why I don't really think about comparing the film to the book, as the film is only an interpretation of the novel and not the "King James Version" of 300. :tantrum:

I laughed at Sporran's note about G's fillings exposure in his roaring scene! :rotflmao: I didn't notice it but will look next time. LOL. :rotflmao: The vaccine scar thing was great. I hadn't seen that either. Such discerning GALS eyes.

Ok and here is another big beef. :tantrum: Theron's sarcastic clapping in the council chambers after Gorgo gives her speech. That is such a movie cliche-gaaaaahhhh! Once on SNL they had a whole skit dedicated to that oft-imitated moment in films. All of the players had a turn in getting up and doing a slow, sarcastic clap-I think it was in a family therapy skit or something-Ha!

Ok, I am now done with my "betching" and kvetching. I loved 300 and will try to ignore the dumb stuff. Gerry was terrific in it. :claphands:

I just want to add that although I didn't see a vaccination on Gorgos arm ( I will have to notice it next time) I wonder if it was her tattoo covered up with make-up! Now you guys have got me curious so I have to go back once again and watch the movie!! Oh well, a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do!!

:confused: Fran

I just want to add that although I didn't see a vaccination on Gorgos arm ( I will have to notice it next time) I wonder if it was her tattoo covered up with make-up! Now you guys have got me curious so I have to go back once again and watch the movie!! Oh well, a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do!!

:confused: Fran

I know her arm band tatoo is covered by the gold armband that she wears throughout the movie! The rest are probably covered by makeup.

Edited by Scorpio613

She needed make-up for that big lotus tattoo on her back and she also has a small star on the inside of her left elbow, plus I think there is another one somewhere else. Why would she do that when she knows they need to be covered up for her movie roles? I guess I'm just not a big tattoo person.

:confused:

Then, Daxos steps out from the shrubbery at STOPS and looks around a bit, Weren't the Arcadians told to wait? Somewhere I thought that happened. It was all tactics.

Yes, the Arcadians were told by King Gleo to hold back until they were called for.

This tactic was implied by an earlier statement when the King said something about the Arcadians ready to fight, or that the King had a plan for them.

I can't recall the specifics (2 times isn't enough times to see the film, apparently), but I do recall noting that the plan was in place for the Arcadians to do their thing when called for.

Edited by tilzey

I heard Leo calling out to the Arcadians telling them telling them to attack.

In my opinion one of the best scenes of the film was Leo's solitary charge through the Persians. Then Gorgo doing her thing with the sword. The whole theatre errupted in that scene. Uh, the balcony and love scenes deserve their own thread - in Over 18!

As for the worst scene, in my opinion it was the smarmy Ephor's "lick". Ewww! And then the "fade to black" on the Persian's eyes in the temple. That just looked cheesy.

Sue

One of the things I absolutely love about this movie is that on my 10th viewing I love it even more because I can make it even funnier (for myself and maybe my friends) with "alternative dialogue".

Last night when Leo is with the Ephors and the one says "before we hear your plan what do you offer?" I turned to Cheri and said "a good dental plan" and we both cracked up. Then when the Immortals appear you hear them breathing inside those masks like Darth Vader so I said "Luke, I am your father..."

I did get some input from someone who attended the event put on with Zack and some of the special effects guys back in February. She said that they wanted to remove things like vaccination scars and fillings with CGI but Warner Brothers finally put a stop to all the detail work because they wanted to get the promotional DVD's done and told them stop. It was taking too long because they wanted to be really meticulous. I wonder if they will have time (or care) to go back and finish those for the DVD release.

But really on my drive home last night I kept thinking about how even 10 viewings hasn't tarnished my enjoyment of the film at all. It is one of the most entertaining films I've ever seen and though I'm sad that it is now on only one non-IMAX screen at our biggest multiplex (we have lots of multiplexes within 10 miles so it is still on a lot of screens) but the IMAX was again probably 80% full last night, as it was last Saturday afternoon.

Yesterday afternoon two of the guys at work came into my office to get their expense checks and they were both raving about how much they loved "300" (one of them had already seen it twice and may go again) and especially how great it is in IMAX. We should still have it in our IMAX until May 4 when Spiderman 3 takes over. So that gives me a few more weeks to see it there, then I'll hope it is still playing at some of the regular theaters around for awhile longer. I wonder how many times I will have seen it by the time it is no longer in any theaters around?

Then, Daxos steps out from the shrubbery at STOPS and looks around a bit, Weren't the Arcadians told to wait? Somewhere I thought that happened. It was all tactics.

Yes, the Arcadians were told by King Gleo to hold back until they were called for.

This tactic was implied by an earlier statement when the King said something about the Arcadians ready to fight, or that the King had a plan for them.

I can't recall the specifics (2 times isn't enough times to see the film, apparently), but I do recall noting that the plan was in place for the Arcadians to do their thing when called for.

I was totally aware that the Arcadians were told to wait for Leo's call to attack, but my point was that I didn't like the way Daxos stepped out as if surprised, and then just stood there in a narrow space wherein his men had to scramble around him. I thought they should have come running out, full steam and ready to hit. AND, if Daxos were by chance in hiding where he could see Leo nearly being killed, they should have used some initiative and sprung into action to help save the king! But, I guess we all knew that Leo wouldn't die at that point. As my hubby says, "It's in the script."

One of the things I absolutely love about this movie is that on my 10th viewing I love it even more because I can make it even funnier (for myself and maybe my friends) with "alternative dialogue".

Last night when Leo is with the Ephors and the one says "before we hear your plan what do you offer?" I turned to Cheri and said "a good dental plan" and we both cracked up. Then when the Immortals appear you hear them breathing inside those masks like Darth Vader so I said "Luke, I am your father..."

:funnyabove: Cindy and I were having a good chuckle about alternative lines, too. It's so funny that you mentioned Darth Vader, because the first Persian messenger sounded so much like James Earl Jones when he said, "Earth and water."

I did get some input from someone who attended the event put on with Zack and some of the special effects guys back in February. She said that they wanted to remove things like vaccination scars and fillings with CGI but Warner Brothers finally put a stop to all the detail work because they wanted to get the promotional DVD's done and told them stop. It was taking too long because they wanted to be really meticulous. I wonder if they will have time (or care) to go back and finish those for the DVD release.

I am so glad you posted this. My admiration for Zack has increased even more! When I'm wowed by a movie like this, I also like to look closely at all of the technical details, including continuity errors, "revealing" items like vaccination scars and fillings, and editing to see how much attention the production team paid to them. Overall, the movie is technically pretty tight - a major feat, considering all the action!

Funny thing is, I noticed some little things, not the more noticable things like vaccination scar or the fillings until others pointed them (and a couple of other more noticeable goofs) out. :D

Edited by #99

:funnyabove: Cindy and I were having a good chuckle about alternative lines, too. It's so funny that you mentioned Darth Vader, because the first Persian messenger sounded so much like James Earl Jones when he said, "Earth and water."

Yo Danielle!!!! Hug!!!! xoxox

Let me tell you, Susan is THE most fun to watch 300 with :yippee: ....especially since she now knows every last word of this movie, verbatim! LOL

I don't know what it is, but I keep picturing Xerxes as a character in "Priscilla Queen of the Desert" singing, "I've never been to me"...or, a good show tune!! LOLOLOL :rotflmao:

and, as for that messenger, I don't know if anyone is old enough to remember those old 7UP/the Uncola commercials...I think they were in the 70's (aka the land before time, hee hee hee) ...anyways, there was this guy who did those commercials, and something about a "Cola Nut"....well, I hope someone remembers that besides me, "Oh woman who feels older than dirt" right about now!!

As for the best parts, "How do I love thee, 300, let me count the ways"!!!

I would be at it all night.

I think I will come back and continue this after I give this sciatic pain a rest after climbing those stoooooopid stairs like an idiot at the IMAX. Oh well....BIIIIGGG Gerrry was Ginormously worth it!!!!!

xoxoxoCheri

As for the worst scene, in my opinion it was the smarmy Ephor's "lick". Ewww!

Okay, THAT'S what grosses me out the most in the film. Not the blood, not the nasty executioner, nor the Persian orgy scene (though it comes close)...but that nasty lick takes it for me. Zack accomplished his goal if it was to make people shiver and go "SICK!!!"

~Mel

Am I wrong in assuming (since I have not read the book) that the young women were enslaved by the priests, and then the priests passed on their "infection" to the young woman with that most disgusting lick? Is that why the Persian dude promised the priests young women from all over the world to be oracles? I am still not clear on the meaning of the lick, but if someone has leprosy .... that lick would pass it on.

Swannie

I think the lick was mainly to show what Delios is narrating at the time...that the Ephors have "the needs of men," so, basically these Spartan girls that are picked as oracles are their sex slaves. *shudder*

There's a line in the graphic novel when Leonides is heading back, he thinks to himself, "Poor girl," in referring to the Oracle. Because they're enslaved to the nasty Ephors. *gag*

~Mel

I think the lick was mainly to show what Delios is narrating at the time...that the Ephors have "the needs of men," so, basically these Spartan girls that are picked as oracles are their sex slaves. *shudder*

There's a line in the graphic novel when Leonides is heading back, he thinks to himself, "Poor girl," in referring to the Oracle. Because they're enslaved to the nasty Ephors. *gag*

~Mel

Or, in this case, the NASTY EFFERS! :rotflmao:

~Mel

Or, in this case, the NASTY EFFERS! :rotflmao:

LOL!!!! That just made my morning, Katie!! :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

*wipes a tear*

Oh man...that's hilarious!

~Mel

Cindy and I were having a good chuckle about alternative lines, too. It's so funny that you mentioned Darth Vader, because the first Persian messenger sounded so much like James Earl Jones when he said, "Earth and water."

I don't know what it is, but I keep picturing Xerxes as a character in "Priscilla Queen of the Desert" singing, "I've never been to me"...or, a good show tune!! LOLOLOL :rotflmao:

and, as for that messenger, I don't know if anyone is old enough to remember those old 7UP/the Uncola commercials...I think they were in the 70's (aka the land before time, hee hee hee) ...anyways, there was this guy who did those commercials, and something about a "Cola Nut"....well, I hope someone remembers that besides me, "Oh woman who feels older than dirt" right about now!!

xoxoxoCheri

Cheri...You are not the only one who feels "older than dirt" remembering that great 7up commercial with Geoffrey Holder! I even remember him playing a voodoo priest in the James Bond movie Live and Let Die! Here is his original 7up commercial:

I agree that the actor who played the messenger must have gone to the James Earl Jones School of Voice! :lol:

You cracked me up when you compared Xerxes to a character in Priscilla, Queen of the Desert! :rotflmao: You are right, he would have fit right in with that cast of characters!!! :funnyface:

As for the worst scene, in my opinion it was the smarmy Ephor's "lick". Ewww! And then the "fade to black" on the Persian's eyes in the temple. That just looked cheesy.

Sue...I agree "the lick" is pretty gross! :scared: As for the "fade to black" of the Persian's eyes, that comes directly from the graphic novel. Because Zach was trying to bring the novel to 'life' on the screen, he made certain scenes look identical to the illustrations in the novel. One being that scene, another being the messenger holding up the skulls of the conquered kings while his horse rears up and many others! Take a look at the graphic novel if you can and you will see what a great job Zach did! ;)

Edited by Scorpio613

Guest greyeyegoddess

Yeah, I remember that guy. I thought the first two messengers had great voices, though.

Watched it again last night...Yay! This time, I tried to watch everybody else, except Gerry...I know that sounds bad here, but I wanted to see what else I missed outside Gerry's performance. I had never noticed that the teenage Leo had a facial expression before his fight with the wolf, because his legs were always in the way.

moo, I completely understand all the things that you bring up. I can understand where cheesiness looks in the movie. A lot of critics mentioned some of the same things.

I just love the movie, and I would have probably seen it without Gerry in it, but probably only once.

~alice