Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Morganathered

History Channels "Battle of Thermopylae"

Hi there gang!

Just in case you missed last night's (March 17) DECISIVE BATTLES IN HISTORY, the History Channel will replay "The Last Stand of the 300" on March 30. It is a fantastic two hours that shows how accurate Frank Miller and Zach came to the recreation of their great epic that starred our favorite Scot, Gerard Butler!

undefined

Be sure to see this if you haven't! This particular battle gave the Athenians time in which to group with the other states of Greece and not only push Xerxes back but also destroy his entire navy. In essence, King Leonidas planted the seed of democracy in this strategic stand-off of the pass. These different city-state's became Greece. No longer did Athenians consider themselves that nor Spartans as only Sparta. Watch this terrific two hours and glow even happier at our favorite Scot's portrayal. :D:claphands:

Cheers! Janet :lolita:

Hey Gals...this is worth watching....amazing how close Frank's 300 is historically correct. :leochest:

If you have the chance...watch it!!!!

Yep! I watched it and 300 does come really close. So how come all the history buffs have to nit-pick the little stuff? I'm surprised at how much is actually left to speculation, and that there is still ongoing debates about it! The battle that took place on the sea was interesting also. They used very well built actors in this documentary ---you think maybe Gerry started some kind of trend? Wouldn't that be nice?!!!!!! :whome2::lookin:

Debrasue

Edited by Debrasue

For an ancient history buff (moi) and an avid lover of the book Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield long before 300 was a glint in anyone's eye as a potential movie, I LOVED this program! I recommend it to anyone who wants a good introduction to the "history" of the time and event. It is also just one long ad for the movie! They even interview Pressfield as one of the historians! BTW, if you haven't read Gates of Fire, you must. You will "see" Gerry as Leonidas time and again. :D

Guest greyeyegoddess

You can buy this video from the History channel, too.

I taped it and watched it. What's neat is that the filming of this show reminds me of the movie.

~alice

:music:

Watched it last night--great program! I even got my hubby hooked! Of course, he had to have his snide remark--"I knew the Spartans didn't go to battle in their underwear!" :kisswink: Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed the program.

Hi all, i know most of you have seen this on the History channel, but it's on again tonight (i haven't so i'll be tuning in):

http://www.history.com/

Click on Today's Picks > History in Focus: 300 for a quick spiel about the show.

11:00pm ET / 9:00pm MT

Thank you for that info Morgan. I missed it last week. The guys at work saw it and told me about it. They said it was good. I was about to cry. I thought it wasn't gonna come on a gain. Get to see Gerry again before I go see him again. Gonna try to make it this weekend to see 300 once more. I'm sure there's something I missed in that movie. (other than his beautiful behind). Made sure I didn't miss that. :tasty: :bonk::heat::kiss: