Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Swansong

So.... is 300 Your Favorite?

Now that 300 is having a very successful run, I am just curious; how many of you would say 300 is your favorite Gerry film to date?

Although I adore the movie, and Gerry's performance in the role of Leonidas is breathtaking and brilliant.... POTO is still my favorite to date. There is just something about that movie, and about Gerry in that role which hit on all cylinders with me. I'm not sure any future project he does can ever unseat POTO as my favorite, but I am certainly open to that possibility.

I think it may have less to do with the actual movie, than with its timing in my life, and with the remarkable way it has resonated in my soul.

Leonidas is a powerful, memorable character.... but I never sensed that he needed me.

I know that may sound weird, but maybe some of you can relate. Many of Gerry's characters have that special male vulnerability, so that you leave the film feeling like you could help that character and give him what he needs.... but unlike other Gerry roles, Leonidas has his committed lady love, and goes to his death with her face in his eyes.

That's a departure from many of Gerry's other roles, where the ending is left unresolved, or where love has been lost.

The Phantom is left to his loneliness.... and some part of me remains with him.... whereas, I can let go of Leonidas, as he finds his glory on the bloody battlefield.

I am very excited about Gerry's future roles, but for me... at least so far, the Phantom is my fav.

So what is yours?

Swannie

Well, despite the fact that I've already seen 300 five times, the Phantom is still my favourite, too, thanks also to the fact that I just LOVE the musical itself, and it's been so ever since I was a teenager and went to see it in London back in...ewww, that was 1988!!! I'm decrepit!!! LOL

(Anyway, I must confess I've got a soft spot for Attila :attila:, too, but shhh don't tell the Phantom, you know how mad he can get, I wouldn't want to see Attila strangled with a Punjabi lasso or something, hehehe...)

(oh, and since I'm here babbling, although I reckon Timeline's not exactly a masterpiece as a movie [sorry], I also have a soft spot for Marek, of course, I go "aww" every time he starts asking lady Claire "are you, er... married?...Are you, erm... with... anyone?... is there, is there someone, is there someone... that you see?", that's soooo sweet! :inlove: ... uhm, suppose I should see a doctor, seems I have way too many soft spots here... :rotflmao: )

I love 300. It's beautiful to look at; the characters are strong as well as admirable, and there were scenes that really touched me, but my draw to it is more on an entertainment level than a personal identification with the story or the characters. Usually the movies that touch me most are those with more character driven stories; such as Phantom, Dear Frankie, or The Jury.

Phantom will always hold a special place in my heart; not only because I love the character and relate to him, but also because I've never in my life anticipated any movie as much as I did that one. I remember when I saw it the first time I wanted to cry from happiness over the fact I was finally watching the movie I had waited for almost two years. When it was over I felt so overwhelmed emotionally I was numb. Although it doesn't have the same effect on me now as it did during my first viewing, the movie, and especially Gerry's performance never fails to touch me.

Edited by Janine

I agree-as much as I enjoyed 300 my favorites are still the Phantom and the Stranger. Even Jonnie was more a fave than Leonidas. That said nothing can touch the look of 300. It is amazingly shot and the artistry and feel of the movie may be the best I've seen in a long time. A well done character study is always more compelling to me than an action piece.

Now that 300 is having a very successful run, I am just curious; how many of you would say 300 is your favorite Gerry film to date?

Although I adore the movie, and Gerry's performance in the role of Leonidas is breathtaking and brilliant.... POTO is still my favorite to date. There is just something about that movie, and about Gerry in that role which hit on all cylinders with me. I'm not sure any future project he does can ever unseat POTO as my favorite, but I am certainly open to that possibility.

I think it may have less to do with the actual movie, than with its timing in my life, and with the remarkable way it has resonated in my soul.

Leonidas is a powerful, memorable character.... but I never sensed that he needed me.

I know that may sound weird, but maybe some of you can relate. Many of Gerry's characters have that special male vulnerability, so that you leave the film feeling like you could help that character and give him what he needs.... but unlike other Gerry roles, Leonidas has his committed lady love, and goes to his death with her face in his eyes.

That's a departure from many of Gerry's other roles, where the ending is left unresolved, or where love has been lost.

The Phantom is left to his loneliness.... and some part of me remains with him.... whereas, I can let go of Leonidas, as he finds his glory on the bloody battlefield.

I am very excited about Gerry's future roles, but for me... at least so far, the Phantom is my fav.

So what is yours?

Swannie

Swannie:

So well put. I have to agree with you, I still love Phantom best. That film hit me like a truck. I can't remember the last time I was so affected by a film. Now, 300 is wonderful. I am a history geek (so my students tell me) and Themopylae has always been a favorite, long before I discovered Gerry, but POTO is just so................heartbreaking and visually dazzling. The chandelier rising from the opera house floor remains one of my favorite scenes ever put on film - thrilling, still, after numerous viewings. And that poor tortured, GORGEOUS Phantom. One of the most beautiful heroes (?) ever to grace the screen. And this all from someone who hates musicals! Go figure. :D

I agree with you GALS - it's POTO for me, too. Guess we're just romantics at heart. The music and the story of the Phantom is so beautiful and tragic - and then there's Gerry - all combined to make, IMHO, one of the most timeless and memorable movies of my lifetime. It was here I first noticed Gerry, although I had seen him in Attila, but I first really SAW him in POTO. He drew me in, captured my heart, wound unforgettable music through my brain and, so far, none of his other movies (except maybe Frankie) has quite reached that saturation. Of course, the fact that I've seen POTO more than 30 times has had nothing to do with it. :D

I agree that prior to 300, POTO, Dear Frankie and The Jury have been my favorite movies of Gerry's. I must enjoy the character driven roles as well. I'm adding 300 and Gerry's portrayal as Leonidas into my top 4. If I have to choose one as my favorite, it would be POTO because of the way it affected my soul.

But this almost feels like choosing a favorite child to me. Each one has its own set of characteristics that affect me in different ways. Each film or role has it's own flavor and texture which adds to the whole experience. There are aspects to each one that I absolutely love.

Gerry is truly a chameleon the way he absorbs himself into each role. There have been times watching 300 that I forgot that it was Gerry up on the screen. He WAS Leonidas. I even have a hard time being silly and writing Leo now as a joke. That role is so strong and powerful. Absolutely commanding right down to the fire in his eyes.

It looks like most of think alike. POTO is it for me too. The glorious strength and beauty of Leonides is awsome, but the soul of the Phantom has my heart. I discovered Gerry with Timeline, and Andre Marek will always hold a special place in my heart. But the Phantom stole my breath, cut me off at the knees and left me feeling that I just had to "make it better for him". Oh yes, it's the Phantom who is Number One for this GAL!

:erikrose:

Sue

Gerry, himself, might have a difficult time competing for my affection against the passion I feel for the phantom. Oh - but, if you are reading this, Gerry, do give it a try! I'll try to be open-minded.

King Leonidas is running a really close race with Attila for second place, though.

300 is now one of my favorites. Right up there with POTO, DF and The Jury for best movie. But as for my favorite character? It hasn't changed. As anyone who knows me can tell you.... it's still Creedy. Gotta love a man who gives everything to save his friend and the children *sigh* :D

:hugs:

Jenn

It's POTO for me too. It will be interesting to see if Eric beats Johnnie and Leo in the Survivor thread, also. I'm thinking he will, but I think he needs a few more supporters in the thread.

But for so many reason, Gerry being only one, POTO is my favorite movie.

Gerry, himself, might have a difficult time competing for my affection against the passion I feel for the phantom. Oh - but, if you are reading this, Gerry, do give it a try! I'll try to be open-minded.

:rotflmao: Libby. You are priceless. :kiss:

Guest greyeyegoddess

Well, I guess I gotta be me, which is different. :bonk:

I'm in the boat where whatever movie is out or that I have seen lately is my favorite...so in answering the question...300 is my favorite...right now. Attila will always have a special place in my heart because it was the movie that brought me to Gerry... :pant: but I so love 300. It's the kind of movie that was made for someone like me.

Each movie has moving and memorable performances by Gerry, but I just love 300 and pretty much everything about it.

~alice

:music:

Well, after much thought about this, here is my answer Swan.Yes, POTO and Erik are the movie and Gerry role that caught my attention, captured my heart and brought me to this wonderful place.But I didn't see POTO until it appeared on HBO, therefore even though I had seen Gerry in DK2 ,adored him, but never made the connection, and I swore when I saw the POTO trailer in the theater that I had to find out who that man was, I never saw it in the theater, I guess you could say, I've always felt I missed the boat with my admiration of Gerry.I wish I hadn't missed out on the excitement of discovering him at that time.When I did see POTO, Gerry(Erik) touched every fiber of my soul in some way and that drove me to a new place I've come to be in my life.A place I like very much.It drove me to find Gerry and in turn find all of you, but I have to say that 300 is my favorite.Maybe because, I feel I am established here, as a fan,I'm no longer the "newbie".I can "nuture" the new fans.I have seen this movie and Gerry develop through all stages, from just talk, to production, promotion, and then the grand event itself.Yes, I am so very proud it is such a huge success, and I'm so proud and happy for Gerry.It's just that I feel I have been by Gerry's side the entire time on this one. You know what I mean?And yes, King Leonidas, is not as vulnerable and needy of a character as say our precious Erik, but in the last 10 minutes of 300 Gerry shows enough of his soul through Leonidas to last me a lifetime.I feel like 300 is "my movie".Please don't misunderstand that statement.It's just that I have seen it through to completion if that makes sense.Except completion will be when Gerry is handed that Oscar.The last 10 minutes of that movie have touched me beyond anything else to this point.....until Gerry blows us all away again with something in the future.So, for me it is 300 and King Leonidas. I hold them dear to my heart.Regardless, I love all of Gerry's movies good or bad, just because they are all a part of him.

OK...I'm done now.... :D

I suppose I am still trying to process the impact Phantom has had on my life. Don't get me wrong, I adore Dear Frankie and 300. I think Gerry's work in those 2 films is astonishingly beautiful, and so completely different in his approach and execution of the diverse characters.

But POTO.... Gerry as the Phantom, breathed life into me.... and I am still reeling...still reveling in the amazing changes that have occurred in my life. For me, POTO was magic... and not just a movie.

I can completely understand those of you who feel that you own 300, because you've been Gerry's fan since 300's inception. It is wonderful to have watched that movie, and its STAR become the mega-hit of the day.

Swannie

Swan, I didn't mean to sound like I think I "own 300.That's what I meant by "please don't misunderstand".I just meant ,that it is special to me because I've been able to support it and Gerry from the beginning.With POTO I came in a year into the dream when I joined GB.net in Jan 06 I felt I missed out.With the excitement of 300, I have the excitement of changes in my life brought forth by Gerry and this place.I've changed so much, I feel for the better.I've began to live my life instead of letting eveyone else live it for me.I've been able to do things, I've never been able to accomplish before because of the strength Gerry and this movie gives me, like losing weight.All I know is that I feel like I can do anything.Hell, I am!!!I'm going to Vegas in 8 weeks,alone, having the strength to tell my husband this is something I need for myself.Something, I've never been able to do.For the first time I feel like I am alive!Maybe since 300 fell right into the middle of this time in my life, it is my POTO.I hope that makes sense.

So what is yours?

Swannie

I loved "300" and saw it four times during the first week it opened. (Then I had to travel for business or it might have been even more). As much as this film moves me, and I do think it's one of the most beautifully artistic things I've ever seen ... "The Jury" and "Dear Frankie" are still tied for my fave.

......I've began to live my life instead of letting eveyone else live it for me.I've been able to do things, I've never been able to accomplish before because of the strength Gerry and this movie gives me, like losing weight.All I know is that I feel like I can do anything.Hell, I am!!!I'm going to Vegas in 8 weeks,alone, having the strength to tell my husband this is something I need for myself.Something, I've never been able to do.For the first time I feel like I am alive!Maybe since 300 fell right into the middle of this time in my life, it is my POTO.I hope that makes sense.

:clap::clap::clap:

It makes total sense to me! :kisswink:

Guest greyeyegoddess

!Maybe since 300 fell right into the middle of this time in my life, it is my POTO.I hope that makes sense.

That's kind of how I felt. I didn't get to see POTO on the big screen until after it came out on dvd. People were touched all around me, and I didn't get the same response. But I've mentioned in other posts that 300 might have given me the understanding of what everyone else felt about POTO. I love POTO, I think Gerry was absolutely fantastic in it, but I felt kind of "out of it" when it seemed that so many fans were "changed" by this movie. I knew it had the power to do that, and really, I did come into the Gerry fold with a ton of POTO fans, but it wasn't POTO that moved me to look up Gerry, because I hadn't experienced it yet.

There is something deliriously wonderful about watching Gerry go from the beginnings of a role to the release of the movie. Yeah, we all took the ride and it's been a thrill! :D

~alice

:music:

I've gotta say that 300 is a really good movie. Not just because Gerry was sooooooooo fine in that movie :tasty: , but the graphics are just totally beautiful. I do think it's one of Gerry's best because he did a very good job, not to mention all the really other fine people in the movie. But I liked it alot. Really, GOOD MOVIE!!! :yippee: :yippee:

I guess I will be different then because POTO was not my favorite...it was good but not my kind of movie I guess. The first movie that I saw of Gerry's was Dracula 2000 and that is what drew me in. But now I have to say that I absolutey love Dear Frankie. I have to say that is my favorite. But I am alot like Amy in the aspect that I love love love 300. And I feel like seeing it in the theater made me a fan like everyone else on this site. Although I have yet to see everyone of Gerry's movies, I am working on it. Just tonight I watched "The Game of Their Lives" and thought it was great. It is amazing to me how Gerry can transform himself into each of these characters and make it believable. I guess that is why he is such an amazing actor and I am so glad that I was brought to this site. It is an honor to call myself a fan of Gerard Butler.

Go Gerry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dracsgirl/Amanda

Picking a favorite Gerry movie is difficult for me to do. Let's see - from a character standpoint Johnnie Donne is my favorite and The Jury is one of the most thought-provoking things I've watched. Gerry is brilliant in it. From a purely "I love this movie" standpoint it is Dear Frankie - every character is spot on and it touches my heart on so many levels. If I had to pick one this is it - not just because it is a Gerry movie but because it is a beautiful and moving piece of art.

Phantom, well I've loved the music since the 1980's and couldn't wait to see the movie no matter WHO was in it. I absolutely loved the film on many levels, and it led me to Gerry and the fansites and to the amazing friendships I have because of him. Every chance I get to see it on the big screen I do because it is a spectacle, it is spectacular. But it is not my favorite Gerry movie.

As for 300, my affection for it is different. I love how it looks, how it sounds, I love not only Leonidas but Gorgo and Dilios and The Captain and Astinos and Stelios... It is fabulously entertaining (thus 9 viewings so far and a 10th planned already). I love the entertainment value of the movie and yes, Gerry's performance in his last words rips my heart out every time. I love that I've been able to follow this film from the moment he said he'd signed up to do something HUUUGE and I got to be there for a pre-screening and then the movie's premiere. I've never followed any film before from conception to birth - and then to see it make such a HUUUGE box office impact it just made my heart swell with joy and pride for Gerry. But I can guarantee that I will see this film more times in the theater than I saw any of the others. I saw Phantom 10 times in his original run (and 3 more times since at the special showings we have in L.A.), I saw DF 11 times in the theater. Since I'm headed for #10 with 300 by this Friday I know that I'll make it to at least 15 or 20 times before it is out of the theaters. Nancy and I have committed to once a week as long as it plays and as long as it is making money it will be playing somewhere around here. We have the luck of being in a place where there are so many theaters around that we'll probably still have some showing it in July!

So Susan...is it safe to say that 300 is your favorite?? :D I guess my favorite is The Jury. I think he was spectacular in that role and probably because it was so close to home for him! I first knew of Gerry of course from Attila...that is where I became a Gerryholic and this is where I attend the meetings! POTO was still another great performance so how does one choose? 300 was a totally different kind of film for me as I would never have gone to see it if G wasn't in it....but I'm so glad that I did because I was blown away... I think because Gerry makes you beieve that he IS the person or should I say character that he is portraying that it's very hard to pick just one!

:kisswink: Fran

I seem to remember Gerry being asked a similar question during one of his

recent interviews. He responded that he would "probably have to choose POTO

and 300 for all the heart and soul, & blood, sweat and tears" that he had put the

preparation and making of these two films. Then he went on to mention that he

had a soft spot for "Dear Frankie" because it was such a "sweet little movie." I

I have to agree with his choices.

I fell in love with Gerry's "Phantom" and I suppose, if I could only keep one movie

forever, it would have to be that one. It reached deep into my soul on several

levels. I still get chills when I see the top of the Phantom's head through that

crack in the floor as we view Erik for the first time in the movie. (Is it possible

to fall in love with the top of a head?) And Swannie, you made this character

so much "more" with your wonderful "Chanson de L'ange."

When "300" premiered on March 9th, I was completely blown away by nearly every

aspect of this film. I knew I would like this movie because Gerry was in it, but it

is so much MORE. Although there isn't a lot of dialogue, good use is made of what

there is, and very good performances were given by all. We all know that Gerry

uses facial expressions and his beautiful eyes to make his characters have depth,

and he surely didn't disappoint us this time!! I have lived and died with King Leo--

eleven times so far--and I am not finished yet.

Momma

300 is one awesome movie but i think Dear Frankie will always be my favorite Gerry role

It hit all the right places with me and he was just so breath taking in it

Phantom made me love the man behind the roles and Drac will always be my fav character

But Dear Frankie is by far my favorite Gerry role and he didn't even have a name in it