Gerard Butler GALS

Scottish Ancestry

Eden

I'm still here ladies. I love geneology. My grandfather has a small plaque at home that has his family crest on it and a sample of their tartan plaid. Once I see if I am renewing my lease at my apartment (they went condo this year so I don't know if they will be handing out new leases) I am going to paint my bedroom a nice green and then put the tartan colors in there. I am also making up some wooden pictures with scenes from Scotland to hang on the walls.

I can't wait to find out more about my Irish side because that would be my second bedroom I think.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have scottish ancestry on both sides of my family. And speaking of genealogy, my mother has been doing it for over 20+ years and my dad for about 8 or 9 years. It is the coolest thing to learn about one's family history. :)

Most recently, my parents and I went last year to our very first Pacific Northwest Scottish Highland Games; where I got my McClellan tartan of the McClellan family on my mother's side of the family.

See below pic of me wearing my World Cup t-shirt and my McClellen tartan sash. :)

McClellen Sash

Denise(aka elvinaherewood)

Edited for our dial-up gals. See our picture guidelines Here

This is a great thread, thanks, Eden. I should start by explaining what I knew about my family history already and why I started searching for more details. I've always known that my mother's family was predominantly French on her father's side, and Scots-Irish and English on her mother's. My mother's maiden name was of French origin, and her mother's maiden name was of English origin. My parents divorced when I was a baby and I never really knew my biological father. I was legally adopted by my step-father. The only thing I knew about my biological father was his name, and that his family was of French origin. Now that both of my parents are deceased, I decided to look into family history, which led me to Ancestry.com. I have found a long list of Scottish names in my mother's family, even on the so-called French side, but the problem is that I'm not so sure how accurate all my information is. The only three Scottish names that I'm sure are correct are Johnson, Lindsay, and Miller. I have recently joined Clan Gunn as a decendent of William B. Johnson who was born in Highlands Northeastern Scotland in 1686 and emigrated to Nova Scotia. My great-great-grandmother's name was Emma Johnson.

Elissa,

We are seriously considering doing the DNA testing to see how far (and where exactly) the family goes to - especially since there are gaps here and there. My thinking is that at least it will give us a point A and a point B and then we can try to connect those instead of searching everywhere else.

I will send you the information if you are interested - just let me know.

I am a descendant of the Clan Armstrong (a border clan) on my Mom's side and I am Irish on my Dad's side and I also have Italian, German and French mixed in there - making me a nice European Blend. :rotflmao: My ancestor, Johnnie Armstrong, had a ballad written celebrating him - he was hanged, drawn and quartered (not everyone can - or wants to - claim that) for committing treason against the English King and the story I have been told is that when he was asked on the gallows if he had any words of contrition to say, he flipped the King off. Sound like anyone we know on this board? :goodjob2: In my case, I have to say the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.......

On the Scot side, we have been in the U.S. since before it was the U.S. having lost all of our land and property in Scotland. C'est la vie! I guess my ancestors knew when to make an exit. The first Armstrongs came to America in the 1600s.

MacWilley has been tracking some McIntosh relatives who went to Texas in the 1860's, they were George and Jessie McIntosh, nee Brander, dob 15/11/1811 who married in Urquhart in Scotland in 1/1/1840. They emigrated to Texas withfour of their five children, Andrew Brander, William, Mary and Ann

George attained US citizenship in 1867, we loose track of him after that ? died, but pick up wife Jessie and her son William in Calvert, Robertson County, Texas. Jessie died there in 22/9/1892.

Son William born UK in 1849 married Dora Welch 30/12/71, she died 12/8/83, then he married Mattie Lauderdale. William later died still in Robertson County in 1934,

Son Andrew Brander McIntosh moved to Robertson County with his family but then returned to UK....haven't found him again yet!

Anybody recognise dates/names? MacWilley spends hours doing research, sooooo adictive.........and expensive too. Good Luck everyone, and Susan, MacWilley said it is true what they say in Scotland! :rotflmao:

Anna X

MacWilley, (Sir William Wallace left no descendants: he was predeceased by his father Sir Malcolm and his elder brother Malcolm and his brother John left no known issue.)

Posted Image

Edited by Anna

Yes I have scottish blood flowing through my veins. My gran Moran lives in Glasgow in Scotland still - it can be a long trek to visit her sometimes as I live near London. My boyfriend who is a Kiwi even has scottish blood through his veins too. His grandparents were originally from Scotland and infact his surname is Scott!!!! I travell halfway around to world to fall in love and I still end up with a scott - in both sense of the word.

Smiles

Che xx :cunning:

(ok, I'm getting depressed, now... everybody seems to have a drop of Scottish blood in their veins, here, bar me... does anybody know if, say, any Scot, fed up with haggis, decided to crawl down to colonise my parents' hometown starting to worship The Sacred Buffalo Mozzarella or something? please, tell me it is so, even if you know it ain't true... pleeeeeeeeease... :crybaby: *sigh*...)

Edited by madamina

Madamina:

If it makes you feel better, I also have a lot of Italian blood flowing through my veins too and go to Tuscany quite often. London and Florence are my favorite cities in all the world and I would move to Italy in a heartbeat. :claphands:

Chelsea:

I have heard that the most beautiful men in the world reside in Sydney so I am coming down! A lot of English, Scot and Irish names to be found in Australia and New Zealand. Like America, they took in the outcasts and we know that there were a lot of Scots and Irish cast out of the UK back in the day. But, look at what hearty, good looking stock they produced! :cunning:

Gem

Edited by Gemmie

MacWilley has been tracking some McIntosh relatives who went to Texas in the 1860's, they were George and Jessie McIntosh, nee Brander, dob 15/11/1811 who married in Urquhart in Scotland in 1/1/1840. They emigrated to Texas withfour of their five children, Andrew Brander, William, Mary and Ann

George attained US citizenship in 1867, we loose track of him after that ? died, but pick up wife Jessie and her son William in Calvert, Robertson County, Texas. Jessie died there in 22/9/1892.

Son William born UK in 1849 married Dora Welch 30/12/71, she died 12/8/83, then he married Mattie Lauderdale. William later died still in Robertson County in 1934,

Son Andrew Brander McIntosh moved to Robertson County with his family but then returned to UK....haven't found him again yet!

Anybody recognise dates/names? MacWilley spends hours doing research, sooooo adictive.........and expensive too. Good Luck everyone, and Susan, MacWilley said it is true what they say in Scotland! :rotflmao:

Anna X

MacWilley, (Sir William Wallace left no descendants: he was predeceased by his father Sir Malcolm and his elder brother Malcolm and his brother John left no known issue.)

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f155/map...h_MacWilley.gif

:)

Edited by zanyzombie

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed that there isn't a thread about Scottish Ancestry, but I'm curious to know if any members here have traced there relatives back and how far?

Yes I do! Scot-Irish in fact! Freckles, pale skin that turns lobster color if I don't slap on SPF Block 3 billion on my skin and "faery gold" hair (as my moma-cita aka 'grandmother' describes it)...have to dig up the ol' book of the family history, but apparently I've got from both sides of the family and my uncle told me once that we have clan colors for a kilt but its apparently like scary in color, like some bright green and yellow or something 'hideous' as he described it.

My poor daughter was whining about never being able to get a tan. Not one drop of blood in her that she has allows her to get a tan. We both just turn red and then peel. Lovely :D

Oh... was wondering, is that enough to claim scottish/irish/whatever ancestry? 'cos, you see, despite having black hair, I too can't get a real tan, I get sunburnt, then peel, then get sunburnt again, then peel again, on repeat mode for all summer - oh and I have freckles, too! :funnyface:

*giggle*

I had to laugh at the SPF 3 Billion!!

Its either that or look like the lovechild of a lobster (well, those were my early 20s) My freckles are probably a mix of the Scot-Irish and my Indian blood (just a wee bit of it)

that I'm sure one day (should I allow it) I could tan myself into one dark freckled splotch!

Oh... was wondering, is that enough to claim scottish/irish/whatever ancestry? 'cos, you see, despite having black hair, I too can't get a real tan, I get sunburnt, then peel, then get sunburnt again, then peel again, on repeat mode for all summer - oh and I have freckles, too!

Possibility...now, lets think about those Romans shall we...they moved all the way up into the UK...

My poor daughter was whining about never being able to get a tan. Not one drop of blood in her that she has allows her to get a tan. We both just turn red and then peel. Lovely :D

Oh... was wondering, is that enough to claim scottish/irish/whatever ancestry? 'cos, you see, despite having black hair, I too can't get a real tan, I get sunburnt, then peel, then get sunburnt again, then peel again, on repeat mode for all summer - oh and I have freckles, too! :funnyface:

Oh yeah! My husband, daughter, and I all have dark brown/black hair, blue eyes, fair skin and freckles. All the suntan lotion in the universe would never produce a single tan among us. Just burns, complete with blisters followed by peeling and more freckles. We love to go to the Texas coast every summer, but we use gallons of sunblock and stay out of the sun during the hottest time of the day.

We love to go to the Texas coast every summer, but we use gallons of sunblock and stay out of the sun during the hottest time of the day.

Same here and I'm a native born and raised of Florida, even though I'm living in Germany

Oh... was wondering, is that enough to claim scottish/irish/whatever ancestry? 'cos, you see, despite having black hair, I too can't get a real tan, I get sunburnt, then peel, then get sunburnt again, then peel again, on repeat mode for all summer - oh and I have freckles, too!

Possibility...now, lets think about those Romans shall we...they moved all the way up into the UK...
Oooh, I quite like your point! :kisswink:

Now, if I only were able to go back in my family tree and see if anybody ever crossed Hadrian's Vale, that would be dandy... :cunning:

Oooh, I quite like your point! kisswink.gif

Now, if I only were able to go back in my family tree and see if anybody ever crossed Hadrian's Vale, that would be dandy... cunning.gif

BTW, I have a smidgen of Italian (we think...somewhere and someone in the family went galavanting in the Mediterraneans)

Oh yeah! My husband, daughter, and I all have dark brown/black hair, blue eyes, fair skin and freckles. All the suntan lotion in the universe would never produce a single tan among us. Just burns, complete with blisters followed by peeling and more freckles. We love to go to the Texas coast every summer, but we use gallons of sunblock and stay out of the sun during the hottest time of the day.

Hehehe You just described my daughter and I. (Ok, I don't have blue eyes but she does) She's excited to get a tan line from her watch!!

And yet as a teenager, I still tried to get a tan by slathering on Baby Oil. :doh:

I suppose it doesn't help my daughter that in addition to the whole British Isle and Norweigan heritage that I give her, she gets Danish thrown into the mix as well from her dad.

God Bless the creators of sunscreen to keep us from crisping up too much. :lol:

God Bless the creators of sunscreen to keep us from crisping up too much.

Aye!

God Bless the creators of sunscreen to keep us from crisping up too much. :lol:

I worship the Total Sun Block creator!

(Btw, along with the "that's weird, you've got black hair you should've been a readhead"(*) skin, I also have eyes issue: brown-ish, yet not very dark, turn green if exposed to sunlight.)

(*) that's the exact translation of what my dermatologist told me the first time she saw me...

Eden Posted Yesterday, 10:35 PM

All hail the pigment challenged! tongue.gif

:funnyabove: :rotflmao:

Let's see, chinese, chinese, chinese. Nope, not even a drop of Scottish blood. How disappointing, but if back in the days when England pretty much was the premier colonial power of most of the world, and a scottish hottie found his way to China and met up with one of my female ancestors, then there would be a possibility, especially if he looked anything at all like Gerry. I know it's a stretch, but :confused: who knows.

Ohhh, I have a cousin who visited Scotland, met and fell in love with a Scottish lass. Married and settled there, does that count?

Edited by AnnOC

• 4 weeks later...

I'm certainly a Heinz 57. My Welsh family basically came here in the boats that followed the first settlement. My blood has been mixed so many times, at this point, i'm sure i have every ethic background in my dna. The ones that I know, Irish, Welsh, British, Italian, Cherokee, Apache, and Scotish. My Scot is the closest full blood. My great grandfather was from Scotland. His last name is McGeorge.

Clan MacRae here...I am actually half Scot..half Italian (Moretti) maiden name MacRae. My fathers family only came her a short time before he was born...but my auntie and uncles were born there (Glasgow) I have a lot of family still there.

I do not have to trace back too far....

I am one of the lucky ones...blonde hair..blue eyes...and olive skin.. :D

I wish I could pick up the accent of my family members...no luck :confused: But I do know Italian...go figure!

Either way...proud of where I come from!!!