Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Perrin

4/18 - The T-Shirt Test

http://www.filmstew.com/showBlog.aspx?blog_id=1039

The T-Shirt Test

by Richard Horgan

One of the goofy little perks of covering film in Hollywood is that you sometimes walk away from a press junket or promotional event with a complimentary, matching T-shirt. The studios figure that having media folks sport a free commercial for their movie in the final weeks leading up to theatrical release can only help the cause.

But I have found these promotional T’s, which are often strangely more durable and comfortable than the norm, to be a more telling litmus test long after a movie has been aired out. Specifically, you know a film has really registered with the public’s moviegoing consciousness when wearing said T-shirt sparks an unending series of conversations with friends and strangers alike.

The latest champ in my wardrobe is a large, back, 100% cotton number that proclaims in bloody red lettering 300 on the front and “Tonight We Dine in Hell” on the back. Now granted, some might argue that this tag line could also very well apply to Arby’s, where I picked up some take-out today. But before I could complete my order, the male cashier was exclaiming, ‘Great movie!’, and telling me how he had scored his own free 300 hat by rushing out to see it on opening day.

A FilmStew sister company employee, who had clamored for star Gerard Butler’s attention at the Hollywood premiere, wondered where she could get herself some Spartan wear. And carpenter Matt, an actor who supports himself with his trade much the way Harrison Ford did once upon a time, mentioned how much he liked 300 when I walked out of my house this morning, where he is doing some work on the front porch. He then went on to reveal how surprised he was that his wife had also loved 300, attributing it to the spectacular torsos of King Leonidas and co. Matt shared this spousal observation without any hint of jealousy or insecurity, a double confirmation of just how beloved this Zack Snyder movie is!

I can honestly say that there is only one other T-shirt in my admittedly selective big screen one-off collection that has managed to consistently drum up the same amount of effusive small talk. I’m talking about a tattered but still-in-in-one-piece white-on-black number for the mockumentary to end all mockumentaries, This Is Spinal Tap. A friend of mine worked on the promotion of the soundtrack album for MCA Records way back when, and it is actually through him that I was gifted with the now highly evocative keepsake.

Absolutely everyone, from the Argentinian mom of a classmate of my seven-year-old son to the parking lot attendant at Nate and Al’s cannot help but start sharing how much those inept rockers meant to them also. Which makes sense, really, because when you think about it, This Is Spinal Tap and 300 are both part of that all too rare breed of film able to rock their respective genres to the hallowed "11" level.

I have proudly worn my nice black number out several times, including to 2 of my 5 screenings of 300.It has the 300 logo and the Spartan shield on the fromt and Stellios' words: For Sparta, For Freedon, To The Death... on the back.I got it at HOT TOPIC.I didn't really get a lot of comments, but I did get several very interesting looks, and a few thumbs up "that's cool dude" looks from younger people.I did get some commentas on it in the theater bathroom after one of the screenings, when I was asked if I was a big fan by another female and I explained of not only my enthusiasm for 300 but my "fnadom" of Gerry.She thought it was terrific and seemed honestly interested.

No fair. I want a 300 T-Shirt. :(

I wonder where I'd get one...

I have proudly worn my nice black number out several times, including to 2 of my 5 screenings of 300.It has the 300 logo and the Spartan shield on the fromt and Stellios' words: For Sparta, For Freedon, To The Death... on the back.I got it at HOT TOPIC.I didn't really get a lot of comments, but I did get several very interesting looks, and a few thumbs up "that's cool dude" looks from younger people.I did get some commentas on it in the theater bathroom after one of the screenings, when I was asked if I was a big fan by another female and I explained of not only my enthusiasm for 300 but my "fnadom" of Gerry.She thought it was terrific and seemed honestly interested.

Where did you get your T-shirt if you don't mind me asking? I would love to have one...um for my son!!hehehehehe....

:cunning: Fran

HOT TOPIC is usually the place to go to find cool t-shirts and stuff. :D

That's a cool article and I have noticed people staring at my ches...eh...shirt whenever I wear it. It's a great conversation starter and a chance to sneak in a plug of the Gerry Juice too. :cunning:

I gotta go to Hot Topic!! I tried a month ago but didn't get to stop... :tantrum:

I got my t shirt at wickedcoolstuff.com Betts

I actually made my own 300 t-shirt... :dance: using that "40 year old spartan" pic (I know it's more a spoof than an actual 300 shirt, but I just love that manip :p ) and wore it to work one day... While I didn't get a lot of comments, some people did stare for a sec, and a few people did recognize the movie(s) (namely 300) -- one lady actually said I had Leonidas on my shirt!!! :woo: And a couple girls thought it was funny...

By the by, you can make your own 300 shirt pretty easily -- if you don't mind the trouble. You can find those iron-on paper at craft stores or even Wal-mart. All you have to do is print out the image on that type of paper, then iron it on a cotton t... That way you can make your own unique 300/Gerry t-shirt :cunning:

I AM PROUD TO SAY THAT I WAS THE ONLY ONE AT MY LOCAL THEATER WEARING A '300' T-SHIRT!!!!

I wore my shirt when I went with my husband last night I am the only one in town have one I am sure. Betts

I can proudly say that I DO have both versions of the Hot Topic Shirts.. AND I have also made 2 shirts for my daughter and her friend (16 yr olds) -- Which they also proudly wore on 3/9 to school-- and they got LOTS of comments and questions of "where did you get that awesome shirt... (from the craft store and an iron on and online pics!) the girls also joined a group of us opening night-- Some of their friends were coming out as we were going in and got comments like "WOW your Mom's a Bad arse" I guess that means I'm cool now huh??!! :hmm2:

Annemarie

Shoot, I need to get paid again so I can buy one! Blasted lack-o-funds....

~Mel

I'm gonna check out those websites ASAP.

I gotta have one.

Thanks for the info ladies. You're the Best.

D.

They also have a couple of 300 shirts at Suncoast video. I got the beige one with the Spartan helmet on the front, and on the back it says "This is blasphemy This is madness THIS IS SPARTA!"

-Kathy

Ummm does anybody know where they might have one with a certain moonlit scene on it?? :lol::D

I'm guessing not! It's a good idea to make our own ...if only I knew where to start...on second thought I think I'll just buy one!!!

:kisswink: Fran

Ummm does anybody know where they might have one with a certain moonlit scene on it?? :lol::D

:kisswink: Fran

:funnyabove: :funnyabove: :funnyabove:

Yeah, in your dreams! (And mine) But it sure would be nice.....

DEB