Gerard Butler GALS

5/21 - Gerard Butler Talks Up ‘Untouchables,’ Casts Doubt On ‘Watchmen’

becozy

Thanks to tilzey who posted this here and also to madamina for the 'heads-up' on this!

from: http://www.mtvmoviesblog.com/2007/05/21/ge...bt-on-watchmen/

This is madness! No, Mr. Capone, it's…Chicago? "300" star Gerard Butler is stepping into the very big shoes of Chicago police officer Jim Malone, a character made famous by Sean Connery in "The Untouchables," he told MTV News. "[i play] the young Sean Connery, when he was still a detective," Butler said of his role in the prequel "Capone Rising." "It's great, the script is phenomenal." The performance was Connery's most popular since Bond, and even won the Scot an Oscar as Best Supporting Actor. Butler said that fans expecting an imitation, however, will leave disappointed. "Being Scottish and being tall, I'm gonna come across a little bit like Sean Connery…and people will make those comparisons," he contended. "But I'm going to do my own thing."

He'll have plenty of opportunity, he revealed excitedly. "You know what? I think this character [has even] more [great lines] in him [than before], because this was a point where he was more a wheeler and dealer," Butler exclaimed. "He has to deal with things coming for him, he has to deal with his own morality. In this story there's so much going on with this guy that you really see a lot of different sides to his character."

After hitting it big with "300," Butler was also being touted for a role in director Zach Snyder's next comic adaptation, the epic "Watchmen." Don't count on it, he lamented. "We've been talking about ['Watchmen'] for a while, but [Zach's] never told me a character and to be honest, now I'm looking a little bit picked up," he sighed, adding with a hint of finality. "I don't know if 'Watchmen' is going to be happening."

Thanks Barb.

I'm looking forward to seeing all of Gerry's future movies, those waiting for release and those still to be made, but I think Capone Rising is going to be very exciting indeed. It will be great to follow its development until it hits the big screen.

As far as Watchmen is concerned it's to be hoped that it will get back on track at some point but as Gerry is now so heavily committed to other work it doesn't seem very likely for quite a long time.

Awww man, it would have been nice to see Gerry in 'Watchmen' or at least to work with Zach again. I think they make a great team. But with all the new projects coming up, Gerry will be lucky to get a breather now and then and can't commit to the role.

Can't wait to see 'Capone Rising' though! :D I definitely have no doubt that Gerry will make the role his own (and possibly erase Sean's face from the picture whenever someone mentions Malone again).

This movie really sounds FANTASTIC, I loved the Untouchables and Sean's role (and his performance) but the prequel, getting to see all that backstory, PLUS having Gerry do it, the Great Scot...it's going to be kick arse!!

I CAN NOT WAIT FOR THIS!!!

I am VERY excited about Gerry playing the role of Jim Malone! :claphands: He has already done the "graphic novel" thing, so it is probably in his best interest not to do The Watchman so soon after 300.

It is true, he will be compared to Sean Connery but as Gerry says, he will do his own things which we know will always be Awesome!!! :bow:

See you in Chicago Gerry! ;)

(wishful thinking on my part)

Edited by Scorpio613

Ohhhh.....I am so looking forward to seeing Gerry as Malone. I'm disappointed about Watchmen, but with all the other fantastic news coming out, I guess I'll find a way to survive *sigh*.

I also read the book P.S. I Love You this past weekend and have to say I am really looking forward to this movie coming out. Who could ever get enough of listening to those words being uttered by him, in that amazing voice? Not me...

I think what he might be talking about is the artistic differences between one of the authors of Watchmen and the people creating the movie. The last I heard it was going to be next year shooting, if differences can be resolved. I believe this info came from the Wall Street Journal, my newspaper of choice... Or from one of the blogs run by graphic novel geeks (no insult intended).

:hmm2:

Did you see whom they cast as Watchmen instead????

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/070522i.php

When I looked through the comic book in the bookstore (I didn't buy it, wanted to wait until it's sure Gerry is onbard) I really liked the character of Daniel/Night Owl II and thought Gerry would be absolutely perfect. I don't know for whom Zach had Gerry in mind, but if I would have been the casting director, I would have given that role to Gerry. So I was hoping and hoping and now see whom they cast I am a bit disappointed... It's kind of funny... like.... go with Raoul if you can't have the Phantom... They cast Patrick Wilson in a role I wanted to see Gerry in... it's kind of ironic.

Now Patrick is a very fine actor, I do like him a lot but I don't think he is right for this role. I'm sure he'll do a good job though... But I can't help feeling somewhat disappointed because I wanted to see Gerry in it.

The other casting choices... oh well.... :confused:. Good cast, but still, not getting Gerry will be Zach's loss. I wonder what really went on between teh two of them... Hm, I wonder if Gerry and Zach will have some discussion about it on their Japan trip....

Ina

PS... I am very excited of Gerry playing Jimmy Malone. Rented "The Untouchables" and even though it's a good movie, I think this one could be even better. Gerry definitely will do Sean Connery justice. Gerry working with Brian De Palma... wow!!!! He is A-list now.... He'll act circles around Nic Cage....

Edited by Phanina

Gerard Butler working with Nicolas Cage?

I have been dreaming about those two sharing the screen together for FIVE years!

Just the POSSIBILITY of those two together.....

:spontaneous:

(announcer voice) I'm sorry.. Bethy is not here right now.. but if you leave your name and a brief message, she will get back to you, when she rises up off the floor!

There is a good possibility that Zack waited too long to ask Gerry and now he is booked solid!! He who hesitates is lost! It will be a big loss that Gerry isn't in TW because I predict it won't do that well without G.... What the Hell is wrong with Zack that he didn't secure Gerry in the first place?? :confused:

:cunning: Fran

LadyFran, I think you're right...Zack waited too long. Even if he wanted to cast Gerry (and what's not to want???), his schedule is completely filled for...the next year???? At least! I'm disappointed that we might not be seeing Gerry in Watchmen, but there are so many other amazing films coming out, that I guess I'll survive.

The more I read about Capone Rising the more excited I become! It's going to be amazing and I have more doubt that Gerry will do his own thing! It's sad that Watchmenmay not happen but atleast Gerry has a lot of good projects on the go or signed on. Disappointed that Watchmen may not happen but still excited and happy for the succes that Gerry now has!

Brumie

I've been out of the loop for awhile and I do apologize...if this is a stupid question....BUT...has "Priest" been cast aside....Gone to that permanent "shelf"???

My Gerry Juices where in high Gear for that Role....Please tell me it's only on "Hold"...??

Micky

I've been out of the loop for awhile and I do apologize...if this is a stupid question....BUT...has "Priest" been cast aside....Gone to that permanent "shelf"???

My Gerry Juices where in high Gear for that Role....Please tell me it's only on "Hold"...??

Micky

reply:

Last I heard, it was still in the negotiation phase. I guess we will have to wait and see.... :mopboyjackie:

sultrykindred

I am always excited to hear about any new project that Gerry is working on. I was looking forward to the "The Watchmen", Gerry would have been great there, but he is getting lots of good roles to pick from so time factor is key. Zack didn't snatch him fast enough well thats what happens. :mopboyterry:

I do have to comment that I looked at Gerry's pixs on the stunt award event, he seemed so happy, God bless him....I am so happy for him. Now we have to see how he does with the MTV Awards and Guys Choice too. :watchclock:

I'm all the away over here in Puerto Rico so we only get some info. here and there. I get most of it through the web and you girls of course. Thanx for letting us know Barb and everyone else. :bow::yourock:

Believe it or not I do spread the word over here and try to create the expectation and hype, Gerry deserves.

:drool1:

I am always excited to hear about any new project that Gerry is working on. I was looking forward to the "The Watchmen", Gerry would have been great there, but he is getting lots of good roles to pick from so time factor is key. Zack didn't snatch him fast enough well thats what happens. :mopboyterry:

I do have to comment that I looked at Gerry's pixs on the stunt award event, he seemed so happy, God bless him....I am so happy for him. Now we have to see how he does with the MTV Awards and Guys Choice too. :watchclock:

I'm all the away over here in Puerto Rico so we only get some info. here and there. I get most of it through the web and you girls of course. Thanx for letting us know Barb and everyone else. :bow::yourock:

Believe it or not I do spread the word over here and try to create the expectation and hype, Gerry deserves.

:drool1:

Yep, that's what I deduced, based on what Gerry said in some of his comments recently...Zack must have not firmed arrangements up quickly enough, and somebody else snatched Gerry from under his nose, maybe? He's in such high demand now, and it must be a truly heady experience for him...too bad, 'cause I think Zack and Gerry make a great team, but that's neat about Patrick Wilson, who I really like a lot, being chosen for the part, if Gerry can't do it. I think it would've been fun to see Patrick and Gerry in a movie together again.

Hey, Sultry, whereabouts in Puerto Rico do you live? I'm coming there for a visit the end of July..business trip for my DH, and fun and frivolity for me...can't wait!

Alison

Oh ......Thanks so much for letting me know......I hope the lines stay open and he's available when it becomes Ready.......It's the one role I thought A Perfect fit for him.....edgy, a bit frightening...sad....all the things Gerry does best. although I admit everything he negotciating

on now sounds Exciting!!

Micky

Oh ......Thanks so much for letting me know......I hope the lines stay open and he's available when it becomes Ready.......It's the one role I thought A Perfect fit for him.....edgy, a bit frightening...sad....all the things Gerry does best. although I admit everything he negotciating

on now sounds Exciting!!

Micky

Screeeeeeeeeeches in :wave::wave: MICKY!!!!! How you doing Hon? Where you been this time? Missed ya! BTW, I kinda liked the idea of Priest too...so much so that I jumped the gun and made a siggy for the Dang thing...and now who knows :confused: I am so hoping that he does Burns more than anything though.

:kisswink: Fran

Edited by ladyfran