Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
madamina

300 imagery nicked for political ad poster

Posted Image

I was dreading the moment - I knew sooner or later somebody would've done that, but was still hoping they wouldn't.

But they did: Azione Giovani, an Italian right wing youth association (verra right wing - and no, that ain't good. They're some "Oh, we miss Mussolini so much" kind of people. That ain't good in my book.) borrowed from 300 imagery for their new campaign. I took the above picture here in Rome, not far from where I live, just a few minutes ago. Its bottom line, under the spartan warrior helmet, says "Stop us if you dare. And we're more than 300."...

I remember the "political debate" going on when the movie was out in the States and here in Europe, and both Zach and Gerard saying in their interviews and during press conferences that no, there's no political message behind the movie, it's just a movie, it's just a story, it's just a rendition of a graphic novel.... but of course people still think it ain't so, and I just hate these people are taking advantage of that, sorta hijacking something that's really NOT what they imply that to be. :tantrum:

Interesting, madamina!! I spent a summer living in Rome. I was studying Virgil at an American school there. I loved the posters around the city. They were always very clever. I would walk around trying to translate them. My Italian is very bad and most of the time I had to rely on my Latin to help me.

Political propagandaists have always been very good at co-opting pop culture references. It's how they attempt to connect with the general population. I think this poster shows that '300' is very well known and the 'it' cultural reference of the year. I don't think, however, that sensible people will automatically associate '300' with fascists.

I don't think I'll worry about the 300 reference as much as I'll worry that there are people who, as you put it, really 'miss Mussolini so much.' It's like people in America really missing Joseph McCarthy and communist witch hunts. Yikes.

frenchy.

I don't think I'll worry about the 300 reference as much as I'll worry that there are people who, as you put it, really 'miss Mussolini so much.' It's like people in America really missing Joseph McCarthy and communist witch hunts. Yikes.

That's exactly what worries me - not the random nicking of pop culture references (they're part of everybody's lives, of course they're quoted and co-opted and "manipulated" in many ways) but the fact that fascism is outlaw over here, yet there still are people who think that would've been a better option for our country - *that* makes me shiver. Associating that "philosophy" to 300 is pretty pointless, to me, but I wonder how many people think it's not pointless at all. Actually, the two main when the movie came out over here were "Gayest! Movie! Ever!" and/or "Fascist flick!"... when I first heard both comments, I was quite puzzled, since, well, that wasn't exactly what I tought when I first saw the movie (and not only 'cos I viewed that with Gerry-fan eyes, I have a brain and am opinionated enough, if I hadn't liked that, Gerry or no Gerry in it, I would've said so. OK, I did think that Xerxes looked a bit frou-frou with all his piercings and mascara, but, well, half-borrowing a Jessica Rabbit line, he's just drawn that way, and they sticked to the graphic novel...), all I could think of (apart from Gerry of course, LOL) was "that was fookin' cool! That was so close to Frank Miller's graphic novel! I'm amazed!" and things like those... but then I hear or read such reviews/comments/ad posters and wonder if it's just me...

Actually, the two main when the movie came out over here were "Gayest! Movie! Ever!" and/or "Fascist flick!"

Strange! Could any two reactions be more different? Opposite ends of the spectrum!!

It reminds me of the questions asked of Zack Snyder at the Berlin festival. Someone asked if '300' was pro-NRA (National Rifle Association) or pro-gay. He laughed and said it was both, thus making it the first pro-gay and pro-NRA movie ever made!

So, I'm going to start saying that it's pro-gay and pro-fascist! Just because it is NOT.

frenchy.

Edited by frenchy1212

Strange! Could any two reactions be more different? Opposite ends of the spectrum!!

It reminds me of the questions asked of Zack Snyder at the Berlin festival. Someone asked if '300' was pro-NRA (National Rifle Association) or pro-gay. He laughed and said it was both, thus making it the first pro-gay and pro-NRA movie ever made!

So, I'm going to start saying that it's pro-gay and pro-fascist! Just because it is NOT.

Yes, that's quite an oxymoron, and any sensible person would just laugh at that. I know I first laughed, 'cos two people I know commented at the opposite on the same day, and I laughed when the first of them went on with the "Gayest! Movie! Ever!" thing, then when the other person, just minutes after that, commented the other way 'round, I replied "weird, as someone just told me she thought it was gay..." and laughed again, but I could see he was quite puzzled. That made me start wondering maybe I just am too naive and don't see things other people see... but I've seen the movie 9 times and I can tell you even after they commented that way I didn't retain that in my mind, so I enjoyed the movie every single time... :confused:

there is one in every bunch I hate this I hope Gerry and Zack will be OK> this is scary in a way Betts