Gerard Butler GALS

Next Vegas Con

RezzRN

Ok, I'm going to be a big whiny baby and make a suggestion to change the date of the Convention next year to possibly the following weekend in June instead of June 9th. I love, Love, LOVE Vegas and really wanted to join in on the festivities. However, I have a daughter who happens to have a birthday on June 9th and seeing that she just turned 6, she not old enough to understand why mommy would like to run off and hang out with a bunch of women in lust with "that Phantom guy" (as she calls him) and miss her actual birthday. That would not be a very cool Mommy move in my book. I know it's impossible to make everyone happy because I'm sure that if you changed the date, then it would be someone else's kid's birthday. :confused: Just trying to offer a suggestion to make it possible for me to come. Yes, I'm a bit selfish!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'm going to be a big whiny baby and make a suggestion to change the date of the Convention next year to possibly the following weekend in June instead of June 9th.

The date of the con is contingent upon the CineVegas Film Festival. We follow that lead since Someone has generously made an appearance prior to his attendance of said festival. Perhaps you could plead your case to festival officials! LOL (My birthday is June 10th, by the way! Congrats to your June-baby!)

I thought you guys did an EXCELLENT job with the decorations. With the timeframe you had you did better than some party planners that have weeks to prepare. Congrats to you crew that helped out! :claphands: If ever you do need help next time just let me know. It saves me the temptation to shop w/money I DON'T have and i'm helping out.

As for suggestions, I for one went to EVERY table and got a picture of just about everyone. If I forget to get you my apologies. I will pass along my pics later on today/tomorrow to one of the mods for posting. How sad to be there and not see your face in the gallery because you didn't know anyone or no one bothered to get a picture w/you because they didn't know you. I saw a few faces out there in this situation so I took their picture. If you're there then you deserve to be seen as well is how I feel.

Which leads me to my next suggestion - One way to break the ice and put the attendees at ease is if EACH table at dinner had at least 1 to 2 mods/admin present. I think this would would definately help the situation. What better way to get to know someone than to get to know the individuals who run the site. Having all the mods/admin seated together may appear a bit off putting to someone who's new to the whole experience and hasn't had an opportunity to meet you guys yet. They may never have the nerve or just oportunity in general to introduce themselves so they just go about the day and wonder. Plus, you guys are so busy getting things set up that the opportunity may never present itself for someone who's new to meet you.

Also, during the meet/greet in the hospitality suite, when I went up there it was very sporatic. This would be a perfect time to have a set timeframe for everyone to meet up there for like an hour or so to meet everyone who's there. Afterwards you can come and go as you please.

Just a couple suggestions that I think would help.

Cassie

Guest greyeyegoddess

Cassie, I really like your idea about having one mod at the table. I thought about that after I sat down on Saturday. I'll keep that in mind.

Maybe if we can have Friday night where everyone has to sit with people they really don't know and then on Saturday, have everyone sit with people they do know...I know for me, I don't see a lot of fans except in Vegas, and I don't want to pass up seeing them.

As for the hospitality suite, I had gals tell me it got too crowded so they went back to their rooms and rested or watched 300 in their room. Kind of hard to get everyone in the convention room all into the suite. The suite is really a laid back, chatting and meeting place; at least that is what I gathered from it.

~alice

:music:

I never knew WHERE the hospitality suite was! Alas, I never made it there. If an announcement was made, I missed it or I'm deaf (due to too much punk rock music at unbearable decibels in my youth, no doubt!).

Perhaps this info could be included in the registration materials???

I like the idea of a message board with envelopes, too. Most of the professional geophysical conventions I've attended have some sort of system like that for people trying to make contact.

I like the idea of a mod or admin at each table on Friday (well, as many as we can cover - I think there were 12 of us there this year from GALS, and Aislinn from The Butler Did It. We could have covered 13 of the 15 tables. But perhaps we could also rotate - so that you have salad at one table, entree at another and then dessert at a third. That should mean that all the tables get visited and some get visited by up to 3 different mods or admins. If we could duck into the room a few minutes ahead of the crowd we could put a little Mod Squad card at one place of each table so people would know that place was to be filled by a Mod or Admin (just carry your flatware from table to table so the wait staff doesn't have to keep giving you fresh).

Note: I wouldn't be surprised if The Flamingo and Imperial Palace were not there by next year....that's what Vegas is all about now...tearing down or blowing up the old and building the new and HUGE! I'm sure Bugsy Segal would not be happy, looking up and seeing HIS Flamingo go BOOM!! :tissues:

I know what you mean!

The fact that it was built by Bugsy Siegel made me so happy when I realized that it was THAT hotel. Maybe it's just the fact that he was a Jewish mobster from NY, and, well, I'm Jewish, related to....okay, that's all I can say about that. The FBI doesn't read this board, does it? :escape:

Stacy :kisswink:

PS. I'm with everyone about meeting more people. I definitely didn't get to talk to as many people as I wanted to, even though I definitely recognized you, Swannie! I think I was a little shy when it came to you, LOL. (I know, me? Shy?!) I was actually a little shy about approaching Dr. Em too. Fortunately, we sort of approached each other, and she is my goddess, let me tell you.

Guest greyeyegoddess

If the rooms were anything like the suite, it may not have been assigned until we got to the convention. There were signs posted at the door with info I believe. There was also a mix up on the suite room by the hotel.

The thing about conventions in hotels is that in order for us to have all the things from the hotel, like blocked rooms, we need more of you to come. Hotels don't like to block out rooms if they aren't going to make any money. If hotels can make money from your room before you get there, they will.

~alice

Guest greyeyegoddess

PS. I'm with everyone about meeting more people. I definitely didn't get to talk to as many people as I wanted to, even though I definitely recognized you, Swannie! I think I was a little shy when it came to you, LOL. (I know, me? Shy?!) I was actually a little shy about approaching Dr. Em too. Fortunately, we sort of approached each other, and she is my goddess, let me tell you.

Yeah, meeting people goes both ways. I understand that many fans are shy and don't always quite know what goes on at the convention.

There's always next year!

~alice

One way that more members could get involved and help would be to volunteer to spearhead some of the non-convention activities that others would like to see. For instance if someone else decides to organize getting show tickets for pre-or-post convention evenings, or even just organizing breakfast or lunch or pre/post con dinner get-togethers for the weekend. I was so exhausted that I slept in every morning as late as I could but if I HAD been awake I would have liked to know where and when to meet up with others for breakfast or lunch.

Note: I wouldn't be surprised if The Flamingo and Imperial Palace were not there by next year....that's what Vegas is all about now...tearing down or blowing up the old and building the new and HUGE! I'm sure Bugsy Segal would not be happy, looking up and seeing HIS Flamingo go BOOM!! :tissues:

I know what you mean!

The fact that it was built by Bugsy Siegel made me so happy when I realized that it was THAT hotel. Maybe it's just the fact that he was a Jewish mobster from NY, and, well, I'm Jewish, related to....okay, that's all I can say about that. The FBI doesn't read this board, does it? :escape:

I felt sort of weird at POTO, because I didn't know who more than half the people in our group were. I guess some people knew who I was because of last year's photos, but I'm generally not the kind of person to go up to total strangers and introduce myself. Plus, I was not feeling well that night. Stacy, I really didn't have a clue who you were! It wasn't until I saw you with your name tag later that weekend that I realized you were the Stacy of the Gutter!

There are still some women who came to POTO Thursday, whose names I never did find out, and who I never actually met.

Swannie

I'm sorry that I missed out on all the fun! Someday I will make it to a convention!! Unfortunately, finances and timing were not in my favor. This is final exam week for me, so I am swamped with papers (I usually don't have in-class exams) during this time.

I like the idea of the message board, and I'm not sure of the original post about it, but there could be a photo of the person on the envelope or above it so that everyone can get used to faces and names for when everyone is all together.

Susan~Sporran - Hopefully next year I will be able to help out more. Although, I will be graduating (crossing fingers) then! :cheer2:

Veejer

Hi Gals,

Great suggestions between you, Las Vegas GALS. Next convention, will surely be a blast :kisswink:

Pardon my ignorance, I'm new at the forum and still wondering about things... I want to make an unrelated question : Do you only organize GB Fan Conventions, set in Las Vegas? Seems like a tradition... or are you also pondering to organize future Fan Convention in other countries or states, for that matter?

hugs,

MJ

Dang, Susan, I wish you'd hollered. I had a little tool kit with me, and I always include a level! I also had wire, tacks, floral tape and a wee hammer! Anyway, my tool kit and I ditto Swan. If you need help, please call on me!

Suzie

Hi Gals,

Great suggestions between you, Las Vegas GALS. Next convention, will surely be a blast :kisswink:

Pardon my ignorance, I'm new at the forum and still wondering about things... I want to make an unrelated question : Do you only organize GB Fan Conventions, set in Las Vegas? Seems like a tradition... or are you also pondering to organize future Fan Convention in other countries or states, for that matter?

hugs,

MJ

Hi, MJ. Our site sponsors an annual Las Vegas Convention for GB fans. There are other GB fansites that hold their conventions at varied sites, and there are even local groups of fans who have smaller get-togethers throughout the year (for instance the California GALS and the Texas GALS).

Hugs,

Libby

One way that more members could get involved and help would be to volunteer to spearhead some of the non-convention activities that others would like to see. For instance if someone else decides to organize getting show tickets for pre-or-post convention evenings, or even just organizing breakfast or lunch or pre/post con dinner get-togethers for the weekend. I was so exhausted that I slept in every morning as late as I could but if I HAD been awake I would have liked to know where and when to meet up with others for breakfast or lunch.

That is a great idea.

Yeah, meeting people goes both ways. I understand that many fans are shy and don't always quite know what goes on at the convention.

Hee Hee :rotflmao: Thats why people like me were dragging people out on the dance floor!

OOOOOOOH Pammie! I'm soooooooo glad you drug Nathan out there! Damn, he was having a good time! I have NEVER seen him dance like that!

Pammie, I think you should be the unofficial convention hostess, because you make everyone feel so loved and welcomed! Your hug is one of the highlights of Vegas!

Swannie

I'm sorry that I missed out on all the fun! Someday I will make it to a convention!! Unfortunately, finances and timing were not in my favor.

Veejer

Hey V!! Welcome to Gals!! :Welcome2:

That'd be great for you to come and join us in Vegas next year!!

Love you,

Nancy

All great ideas GALS. I have a couple of comments (big surprise, right :kisswink:)

First let me say that I give huge kudos to all of those who made this happen. It was definitely NOT smooth sailing this year. From the mixed up suites(& TV problems), the bar closing early, decorating, DJ problems. Not to mention the POTO debacle. That being said, I had such a fantastic time and all of these challenges were met and dealt with as best they could be with outstanding attitudes. Standing ovation to all of the powers that be!

Now for my suggestions:

For one thing it was suggested that a map of Vegas be put in the bags and I have to point out that there was one. A map of the hotel would have been cool, but that means the hotel needs to actually have one printed up.

Next we need to delegate. I think that you mods felt you had to do it all yourselves and that is just so not true. But fact is most people are afraid to ask for help, but most are more than willing to give it. If a thread is set up for next year for volunteers and then from that separated into tasks and committees there would be a definite go to list. Not everyone wants to be in charge, but many are willing to pitch in if given a job.

As for me, I'm pretty laid back and will go with whatever, but if no one wants to make a decision then I will step up and say "Okay, we are going here! Follow Me!" (Hush K, H, J & M) What does that mean? Well. I guess I am volunteering now to head up something for next year.

Oh yeah, another thought. Both Friday and Saturday we spent way too much time at our tables. Almost ALL of Friday was at our table, could we do the video contest during dinner? And maybe instead of a sit down dinnr on Friday make it a cocktail hor dourve thing. Believe me if done right it is more than a meal (this was how my wedding was and there was plenty of food) This way people wouldn't feel glued to their seats .

Or maybe open the doors to the banquet hall earlier for more of a mingling cocktail hour? There was very little time for that on both nights before we were asked to sit for dinner. I know the decorating issue was part of it, but if we plan it should work out.

Okay that is all for now. Back I go to the muck.

Edited by DawnS

I haven't gone to a GALS Con but I do go to a conference of court administrators every year and we have same of the some issues you have all had (from what I've read).

I'd just like to make one suggestion. Every year at our conference, we make special nametags for 1st time attendees so that the "veterans" like us know who might be lost, confused, feeling out of place, etc. We have a "buddy system" where we pair a newbie with someone who's been to the conference and that person can show the newbie around, introduce them to people, etc, etc. And the rest of us always go out of our way to make the newbie welcome by introducing ourselves, asking her to sit at our table, etc. My friend Sharon and I have even made it a challenge to see how many newbies we can meet each year! Maybe something like that would help the newbies (of which I would be one if I get to go next year) find their way around, etc.

Also, in regards to the dining with your friends situation, we also have that same problem at our con, and I'm as guilty as the next person of saving seats and trying to only sit with people I already know. Maybe you could do one night's dinner as a grab bag seating assignment - everyone pulls a table number as they walk in the door so it's totally random - and then let the next night be for sitting where you want.

Anyway, it sounds as if a good time was had by all and I hope to make it next year!!

Edited to add - would you all ever do a convention somewhere other than Vegas? Just wondering.

Edited by Active99

I never knew WHERE the hospitality suite was! Alas, I never made it there. If an announcement was made, I missed it or I'm deaf (due to too much punk rock music at unbearable decibels in my youth, no doubt!).

Perhaps this info could be included in the registration materials???

I like the idea of a message board with envelopes, too. Most of the professional geophysical conventions I've attended have some sort of system like that for people trying to make contact.

Kitty...I understand your situation. I only heard about the hospitality suite through word of mouth. I must have been talking when the announcement was made! Who me talk alot??? :lol:

What we did for the B&G Movie Event in Chicago last year, which hosted over 100 people, was give out Welcome Envelopes to each person when they registered, similar to getting the goodie bags, in each envelope we gave a Listing of Events, including time and location. This way everyone knew what was going on and when and where. We also included the cell phone numbers of the organizers, me being one of them, so if someone needed help, got lost, etc. they could call an organizer and get help. We also included maps of the city and info on public transporation. However, in Vegas, everything is so "right there" like transportation, you really don't need much info on that, a listing of events and a city map was included in our bags. :thankyou:

Edited by Scorpio613

Guest greyeyegoddess

Ok, I'm going to have to defend the organizers in this, so if you find this a bit witchy with a B, I don't know what else to do.

In your con bag, THERE WAS A SCHEDULE of events, but you might have been distracted by the picture of Gerry. It was in a big white envelope. And poster board copies were by the doors as you entered the convention hall. PLUS the schedule was on this site:

http://www.gerardbutlergals.com/forums/ind...showtopic=12557

The only thing that wasn't available was the suite room because the room number wasn't available until the planners actually got there, but then that was the hotel's fault. I don't know what else the organizers could have done to tell fans where things were, aside from holding people's hands, which they didn't have time to do.

It's kind of hard to help fans out if they aren't reading what is available to them. I know we are excited to be together, but we also needed to be prepared for the convention and for the activities that were happening.

If everyone who has posted on this thread or has read this thread would next year promise themselves that they will meet and connect with 5 new people, no one will feel left out or unwelcomed and mods and admins phone numbers would not have to be passed around. Can you imagine 100's of calls going to Dr. Em? Not including the mods and admins she has to get a hold of for the convention? And her family? And her work? And her friends outside Gerrydom? And the planners she worked with?

(off the soap box)

Aside from that, keep the ideas coming. I'm keeping a list of everyone's ideas.

~alice

I have attended Women's Retreats in the past and they always had something cleaver set up with everyone's name in attendance on a wall, in a corner of the reception room with somekind of individual envelope for people to tuck in a note to that person(s).

I think that both this "note" section within the "wall of attendees" with their pics, real first names, screennames, and maybe where they're from is an amazing idea!

Excellent. I know I didn't eat a single breakfast in Vegas, but planned lunches would have been nice. Maybe not so much on the days of the convention, but on the days before and afterward, it would have been a nice option to have at least a place to meet so that we could head out and have a meal together. Absolutely! Heck, we're so close to the grand canyon, some of the desert parks, and Hoover Dam that we could maybe have some outings as well.

Kudos and many thanks to the mods and organizers. You girls are fabulous!

Jen