Gerard Butler GALS

Next Vegas Con

I don't find any fault with the Admins and Mods at all! Given some of the hectic circumstances the Hotel threw their way , they did an amazing job. I never saw a team work so hard, and I felt kinda badly that many of them appeared to have little down time, where they could hang out and just have some fun.

Maybe next year, there could be a group of non-mod volunteers who could help accomplish tasks, and act as hostesses to greet and make introductions. Anything to spread the work out, and to make the event more fun for everyone!

Swannie

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent. I know I didn't eat a single breakfast in Vegas, but planned lunches would have been nice. Maybe not so much on the days of the convention, but on the days before and afterward, it would have been a nice option to have at least a place to meet so that we could head out and have a meal together. Absolutely! Heck, we're so close to the grand canyon, some of the desert parks, and Hoover Dam that we could maybe have some outings as well.

Kudos and many thanks to the mods and organizers. You girls are fabulous!

Jen

Just an FYI, LV isn't that close to the Grand Canyon unless you take a helicopter ride and it still takes a long time and is very expensive. However, Hoover/Boulder Dam and Red Rock Canyon are wonderful places to visit.

And Alice is right about the schedule of events being in each bag, but I'm sure the pic did distract everyone, I know it did me :lol:

Just an FYI, LV isn't that close to the Grand Canyon unless you take a helicopter ride and it still takes a long time and is very expensive. However, Hoover/Boulder Dam and Red Rock Canyon are wonderful places to visit.

I've done the marathon trip to the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas by car in one day, and trust me - you DON'T want to do that! I think we got up about 4 or 5 in the morning and didn't get back till after 10 that night. Then, you hardly have any time at the canyon!

But I agree, Hoover Dam is major cool! Even the DAM tour is worthwhile!

I don't find any fault with the Admins and Mods at all! Given some of the hectic circumstances the Hotel threw their way , they did an amazing job. I never saw a team work so hard, and I felt kinda badly that many of them appeared to have little down time, where they could hang out and just have some fun.

Maybe next year, there could be a group of non-mod volunteers who could help accomplish tasks, and act as hostesses to greet and make introductions. Anything to spread the work out, and to make the event more fun for everyone!

Swannie

I agree, Swannie. I think the Admins and Mods did an awesome job! I'd be happy to help out next year any way I can, both in Vegas, and ahead of time from San Antonio.

Swannie

Great idea Swannie! :goodjob2:

I would be willing to be one of those volunteers! :wave:

Edited by Scorpio613

I was thinking about what everyone is saying about other events during the day. Instead of making it part of the convention itself (which involves more planning), there could be a bulleting board perhaps near the wall of attendees where anyone can put a note either looking to join others for lunch, shopping, sightseeing, etc. or to invite others to such activities. We have similar notice boards where I used to work for carpoolers and we have one on campus for people looking for roommates with a board next to it for those to advertise a room/place for rent.

This can be very informal. Office supply stores have this very thin board that can be mounted on a wall or other board, and it's surface has a post-it like adhesive so all anyone needs to leave a note is a piece of paper!

If someone will be arriving early or leaving later for the convention, perhaps they could be "in charge" of this board for others in the same situation to have something to do with fellow GALs.

That's my two cents for now. :funnyface:

Veejer

First of all, since I rather started this discussion I want to make it CLEAR that I think the organizers of our conventions have done a SUPER job!! :claphands::claphands: Kudo's to all! My only thought was to try and be helpful, not a hinderance. I for one, would be MORE than willing to do anything I can/could to make improvments! These are only suggestions...not meant to be a critical posting. I apologize if anyone has taken this as other than suggestions. That said, I would be happy to create/organize a "Wall of attendee's". To me, it would be an ice breaker in itself if one could look at a picture then read a bio of whatever the other GALS/PALS wanted to share. Putting face to name makes it easier to go up to someone and say "Hi! I know you!" Mods/Admins please let me know if this is something you would like me to take on. I had a WONDERFUL time and expect to do so again next year!
Guest greyeyegoddess

As I said in my first post on the thread, I think this was a great idea. I personally think it was too soon, but hey, it's easier to remember things right away. Some of the mods and admins hadn't come home yet...LOL!

Definitely there were things that will be better and as more fans come to the convention, there will be things that will happen differently. Those in charge want to make each experience better than the last.

I know that I'm excited to see everyone again next time (and more of you who didn't come!)

And your leaders are taking notes with every suggestion.

So bring on the ideas! Just note that we may comment on concerns and suggestions, too.

It's great to see so many of the fans wanting to get involved and volunteer!!!

~alice

:music:

Guest greyeyegoddess

Over 100, although for some reason, I thought there was much more last year. Maybe I was just overwhelmed. I wasn't a mod last year either.

~alice

:music:

I thought it was run very very well!

A nice lunch might be a good idea next year, just a sort of casual wear what you have on sort of thing.

You all did an excellent job in organizing, very very well done!!!!

Oh, and the Grand Canyon, the tours start at 100 dollars, so it's a little expensive and I think that they are an all day sort of thing as well.

I agree Alice that it is a little soon to actually start committees and planning, but this is when all the ideas are fresh so it's a good time to start throwing things out there.

And I think it's pretty obvious that many GALS want to help. I think volunteers have been mentioned in every other post :lol: I know I was proud of all my Gutter GALS! Everyone of them stayed to help tear down on Saturday night. Others stayed too, and I know some weren't able to, don't get me wrong, but I just wanted to throw that kudos out there.

Edited by DawnS

Acckk after reading 3 pages I'm trying to remember which points I wanted to address.

Oh, I did mention to the moderators the idea of having a designation on the nametags for newbies next year. A professional conference I attend every year puts a red dot on the newbie nametags so that anyone who has attended before will recognize these are folks who may be looking a wee bit lost, or not know anyone else unless some of their local friends are at the conference too. The idea of having a few of the more outgoing and friendly GALS act as greeters, especially watching out for any newbies, would be great! It would mean that nobody would ever have to feel they weren't being attended to or were being left out. They could even watch for people who did attend before but seem a little more isolated and try to get them involved (without forcing it). Believe it or not I am not naturally outgoing, and can easily end up feeling lost in a crowd of people I don't know well. I don't have that problem with the GALS because even if I don't know all of you most of you know me and that makes it pretty easy for me.

I also like the idea of Friday night being more of a mingling/cocktail party with appetizers or finger-food stations. The conference I attend every May does that for the first night and it really gets people circulating more. The second night is the big bash gala with a sit-down dinner. We do plan to start the events an hour earlier next year which should give more mingling time before dinner.

The hospitality suite was a difficulty because first the hotel gave away the suite we were supposed to have and we had to temporarily use another suite, and then switch to the correct suite when it ws available. But it was hard to make this information known to everyone because even if it was posted here most members didn't have computer access while at the hotel. Hopefully that won't happen again and we can figure out a way to get the location out to everyone as soon as possible - probably on the hotel's own event programming on the TV.

The convention will always be in Las Vegas as long as Dr. Em is our fearless leader. It is a convenient location, there is lots to do there, it is an easy city to fly to from anywhere in the world, she and all of the California mods/admins can get there by car (a necessity for all the stuff that has to be brought for the convention - my car was packed to the brim). So while members are welcome to organize their own conventions in other areas this one will stay in Vegas and be scheduled to coincide with Cine-Vegas (you know, just in case Gerry or one of his friends has a movie premiering there).

I don't look at the suggestions as criticisms - it seems everyone recognizes that we all did the best we could with sometimes less-than-ideal situations. I know that we don't want to add more events to the actual official convention activities (such as tours or shows) so it is great if other members who want involvement take those on. When a site admin or moderator takes on an event it is perceived as part of the official convention even it it isn't, and suddenly Dr. Em or Jenni are fielding questions about an event that they really shouldn't have to deal with. That's why I've said that I won't be the one organizing any shows next year, though I may attend one. If the group wants to do Phantom or another show before or after the convention that would be something for another interested member to take on, separate from the convention itself.

I have learned (from nearly 10 years of going to my C.A. conference) that one of the best ways to meet people and overcome any shyness one might have is to get involved - volunteer for something! I remember being a shy newbie at my con and I'm so glad I just jumped in and got involved in the "behind the scenes" stuff.

Also, for having only done this con twice? Right? You GALS have done an excellent job (from what I've read and seen). We've been having our con for 20+ years and we still have issues we try to iron out each year! But we're only able to do that by asking for input and evals at the end of our con every year, and nobody on our board takes it as criticism, but rather, as fresh ideas.

Okay, I'll shut up now. :lol:

Dang, Susan, I wish you'd hollered. I had a little tool kit with me, and I always include a level! I also had wire, tacks, floral tape and a wee hammer! Anyway, my tool kit and I ditto Swan. If you need help, please call on me!

Suzie

Susan, this is true. I never saw anyone so prepared for anything as Suzie was. The only thing she didn't have with her was dental floss!!!!

Next year, or during the coming year, just let me know what you, or anyone else, need help with. I'm semi-retired and have lots of extra time and will be glad to help out.

All the suggestions are great. Also, I agree with Swannie, Pam should be our unofficial official hostess. She is so full of energy.

The mods and admins did a fantastic job..what is the saying? Grace under fire!!! The con was so much more than I had expected. GREAT JOB!

Hugs,

Dee

I just told my hubby, if he comes with me next year, he'll be more on his own, because I wanna help next year. And of course...he's good with that! :kisswink:

Oh, I love the idea of Friday night being a stand up cocktail/mingling affair next year, and then Saturday night being the formal dinner and GALA.

We are coming up with some great ideas!

Swannie

I like the idea of the Friday night cocktail party, but I'd still recommend having tables and chairs available. I've been to some finger-food affairs without a place to at least set down your drink. It's a pain! It's tough to eat with a drink in your other hand (and there's ALWAYS one in mine, it seems!). There's nothing tougher than handling a plate and trying to peel and eat shrimp at the same time!

I like the idea of the Friday night cocktail party, but I'd still recommend having tables and chairs available. I've been to some finger-food affairs without a place to at least set down your drink. It's a pain! It's tough to eat with a drink in your other hand (and there's ALWAYS one in mine, it seems!). There's nothing tougher than handling a plate and trying to peel and eat shrimp at the same time!

Defintiely need to still have tables and chairs. Just not a formally served meal. Good point.

I'm one of those who did not know what to do with myself during the day, and I would love to have helped with event preparations. Maybe before Vegas next year, the Mods could ask for member volunteers to help with those last minute jobs. I'm sure many of us would be willing to help.

Also, on party nights, there was such a rush to get to the tables and be seated with your friends, Bill and I found ourselves practically begging for someplace to sit, since we did not belong to any particular group.

I'm not sure what the solution is.... but I think some us of us felt left out.

Swannie

I agree 100% Swannie. I wandered around a LOT over the few days I was there, bored nearly to tears a couple of times waiting until some of my hang out buddies woke up in the mornings or waiting for one of the planned events to take place. I did offer to help with the decorations for the ball, but I was told basically 'no thanks'...soooo, I just crawled back over to my table to watch more of Wrath of Gods.

I was pretty pre-occupied after that because I left my cell phone in the restroom up there and it was gone when I went back to get it. (Long story short I never found it, but it's been cancelled and I got a new phone on Wednesday, so it's all good.)

I was pretty pre-occupied after that because I left my cell phone in the restroom up there and it was gone when I went back to get it. (Long story short I never found it, but it's been cancelled and I got a new phone on Wednesday, so it's all good.)

Awwww, Kimber, I am so sorry about your cell phone! I guess once something is lost in Vegas, it stayed lost in Vegas! (sounds like a movie title). Little Ms Prepared for Anything (me) could not seem to keep my jewelry on my body! I lost a Gerry Butler photo bracelet somewhere in the hotel, then at the Chippendales, a diamond pinkie ring went flying, never to be seen again. (What, me clapping too hard, wooting and screaming, naaaaah! Not me!) Anyway, next year, I'm not taking anything that is likely to fall off my body.....uhh, that does not include unmentionables!

Suzie

I'm one of those who did not know what to do with myself during the day, and I would love to have helped with event preparations. Maybe before Vegas next year, the Mods could ask for member volunteers to help with those last minute jobs. I'm sure many of us would be willing to help.

Also, on party nights, there was such a rush to get to the tables and be seated with your friends, Bill and I found ourselves practically begging for someplace to sit, since we did not belong to any particular group.

Swannie

I agree 100% Swannie. I wandered around a LOT over the few days I was there, bored nearly to tears a couple of times waiting until some of my hang out buddies woke up in the mornings or waiting for one of the planned events to take place. I did offer to help with the decorations for the ball, but I was told basically 'no thanks'...soooo, I just crawled back over to my table to watch more of Wrath of Gods.

During Wrath of Gods we didn't even have all of the materials for decorating yet. It was at that point that Dr. Em and Attila Girl ran out to Wal-Mart to get the stuff they wanted to create the vision Dr. Em had for the ballroom. It was kind of scattered until they got back. I was sent over to the Excalibur to pick up the 3-part banner that was in the custody of 2 of the GALS over there and when I got back Dr. Em and Attlia Girl had returned and begun decorating the ballroom - but that was probably close to an hour after Wrath of Gods was over. Kristine, theblonde, came in and volunteered because she does this sort of thing for a living and she and Dayna just started making it all come together (with the help of foliage from the hotel). We knew there were others who had volunteered to help but by the time there was stuff to do the movie was over and people had been asked to clear the ballroom. I have no talent for decorating whatsoever so I was merely an extra set of hands or eyes when needed. Hopefully next year decorating won't be something we have to handle ourselves, but if it is I think we will be better prepared. We had some crossed signals this year about who was doing what for the decorating and that's why so much ended up "last minute". We should have con-fabbed ahead of time about the vision for the ballroom then the last-minute shopping spree might not have been necessary and all the ingredients would have been there already. I may not have the vision but I can shop with the best of them and would have been glad to pick up many of the items ahead of time rather than have a mad dash on Saturday. Those are lessons learned for next time (if needed).

Swannie

Kimber, you are not the only one who had to purchase a new cell phone after the Con! On the Sunday before we came back to Portland, my hubby unknowingly took his cell phone for a swim in the Flamimgo's pool! He had put it in his swim shorts pocket for safe keeping, and well.... it was NOT waterproof. I was kinda glad in a way, because that cell phone was so old! Anyhow, now he has a nice fancy one that takes pictures and everything!

Next year Kimber, you and I must must at least get together for coffee or a cocktail. The time flew by, and I never had more than a few minutes to visit with you!

Swannie

I was thinking maybe a morning breakfast meet and greet. I know some people don't like to eat breakfast but if a mod sat at each table and than rotate then at least maybe the newbies and the veterans can get to know each other. It seem like so many of us were at a lost during the day because we would like to have meet other gals and join them for outings during the day. I know I could have gotten off my bum and met more of you but I am basically a shy person so that is my fault for not put myself forward to meet more of you. But on the hold I enjoyed myself.

Alexis/Oban Maiden

The mods would only be able to do a breakfast meet and greet if all the registration things were ready to rock and roll the night before. You should have seen the assembly line going in Jenni's suite on Friday morning as all the goody bags were being assembled with the nametags, keychains, agendas, t-shirts, etc. If that was done on Thursday then maybe some would manage to roll out of bed for breakfast on Friday. I got a call on Friday morning, waking me up and telling me to get to the suite ASAP to get the auction stuff ready. I never ate breakfast, just grabbed a slice of pizza provided for us in the suite while we were cranking away to get ready to open the ballroom by 1:30. It was probably a funny sight to see so many of us crammed into one place working on our various duties, but hey, it got done!