'Love Letters from the Lair'

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Image
it would be Heaven to embrace...
the tormented, beautiful face...
to feel heated breath from parted lips...
taste the salty tear...as down his cheek it slips...
and kiss away all the heartache and fears...
'caused by so many lonely years...
Posted Image
an Angel on Earth deserves more than this...
his first...a virgin's...sweet, tender kiss...
the powers that be...great power they wield...
thought the Angel's fate they had sealed...
but in my dreams I do all that I can...
to help my Earthly Angel ...become a Heavenly Man!

Oh!..Wow....that's an awesome photo...you two look soo good together...and I love the color of your dress Swann....you look great in that dress! You sure do have a handsome man there! Edited by Debrasue

Well I had to get up at the crack of dawn this morning to make Nathan an appt, and thank goodness they are seeing him today, even though he has only been to our clinic once before. They usually do not accept new patients, so I am relieved.

Now that I'm up, (though not at all awake yet) I had my bowl of Rasinbran and oats, and I thought I'd check the thread.

Debra, another beautiful poem from you! It's so neat to see you doing all this writing!

I am so excited about the Hallmark Channel's presentation of POTO, because that means more devoted new fans for Gerry, and for the film itself. I bet we will see lots of visitors to our our site after it airs, and they are advertising never seen before footage! I really hope some new treasures show up!

Pilar, you crack me up! Yes my Bill is a handsome man, but really... even though this is a good picture of him, he's way more handsome in person.

I made sure he ate his oatmeal this morning before leaving for work at the unGodly hour of 4:00 AM!

Will Swannie work on Chanson today?...........

Swannie

Swansong GAL: Lady of the Lair,

'Guardian of the Master's Dreams'

And Willing OCPA Sufferer

Posted Image

hello my Lair Ladies!

I realized that since Vegas I'd been neglecting this thread. Oh no no no, that will not do. I'm counting the days until June 23rd. yes, I have the dvd 2 disc set, but nope I I don't care. I will watch it again.

And just an fyi- I took my daughter to POTO in Vegas, most of youknew that. It was wonderful but we did not get to go backstage on Monday as there was another performance and they had no time. Major bummer, but I'll live.

Tony Crivello was very good, but honestly some of his style kinda annoyed me. He seemed nasal in spots, and although I saw glimpses of the sexy Phantom that Gerry created. I did NOT feel the unbeleivable desire to disappear into his lair forever as long as he was at my side. Nope didn't feel it.

Gerry has ruined any other Phantom for me, but in a good way.

Mistress of the Lair

Voice of the Morning Sun

Posted Image

hello my Lair Ladies!

I realized that since Vegas I'd been neglecting this thread. Oh no no no, that will not do. I'm counting the days until June 23rd. yes, I have the dvd 2 disc set, but nope I I don't care. I will watch it again.

And just an fyi- I took my daughter to POTO in Vegas, most of youknew that. It was wonderful but we did not get to go backstage on Monday as there was another performance and they had no time. Major bummer, but I'll live.

Tony Crivello was very good, but honestly some of his style kinda annoyed me. He seemed nasal in spots, and although I saw glimpses of the sexy Phantom that Gerry created. I did NOT feel the unbeleivable desire to disappear into his lair forever as long as he was at my side. Nope didn't feel it.

Gerry has ruined any other Phantom for me, but in a good way.

Mistress of the Lair

Voice of the Morning Sun

Posted Image

I agree Dawn! Actually, I wrote a sort of review of the Vegas POTO on the last Lair thread. I thoroughly enjoyed the show, but the Phantom did not move me. I really did not respond emotionally to him at all. I'd be curious to know what others who have seen the staged POTO many times, might think of Anthony's portrayal.

I get to see the live POTO again when it comes to Portland in 2008! I can't wait. I really perfer the full length version, more than the souped up shortened version in Vegas.

I don't have any desire to see the Vegas POTO again. The special effects were amazing, but for me, the heart of the story is more important than flash.

Dawn, how did your daughter like it? Did she draw comparisons between the film and the stage show?

How did you like Christine? I must say, I really could not stand the overthetop melodramatic style of the women who played that role when we saw it. I just found it too distracting.

Also, we had seats very close up front, and I think I prefer seats a little farther back. First balcony is my favorite.

Swannie

Posted Image

Catrina liked it very much, but didn't draw any comparisons, I think that is a bit beyond her right now. She was awed though in many parts. It was fun to watch her.

As for Christine, I think her performance was typical of the stage Christine, very dramatic and reminiscent of Sarah Brightman. Personally it spoiled PONR for me. I did not feel the connection between Phantom and Christine. Maybe it was the shortness of it.

I think they butchered PONR. To me, that is such a pivotal scene, and they cut it by more than half. To be honest, I cannot even really remember it the live stage show in Vegas, and that was only a few days ago!. But my reaction to the scene in 1994, when I saw it in LA was VERY different. I'll never forget that! It was HOT!

Swannie

Posted Image

I found it very disappointing, because as yousaid they cut the song down so much. Honestly I think they should have cut MOTN down some and kept more of PONR. And Her reaction to him was more of fear and anger not of passion. It just felt rushed and wrong.

Anyone else feel that way in the Vegas show or other stage performance?

I'm glad I went to see it. I loved the staging of it and all.

But I'm right with you that Tony's Phantom didn't move me the way Gerry's did. I did cry right at the very end but that was it. I didn't have that feeling of being torn between the two men nor did I feel that sexy reaction to PONR. Maybe because it was so short or because Gerry has "ruined" me :lol: for any other man to sing that song.

I tried NOT to compare Gerry's portrayal to Anthony's, but I did compare Anthony's to MC's. For me, there is no comparison. MC moved me.... his performance was soul deep and VERY sexy. Even my hubby mentioned this to me when we were discussing the show afterward. He said, MC had masculine power and virility in the role, that he felt was missing in Anthony's interpretation. I know that each actor tries to make the Phantom their own, and I do appreciate what Anthony brought to the part, but I guess I just prefer a sexier Phantom!

What can I say?

I am a GAL?????

Give me the growling, hip thrusting, lip pursing, hot stalking mad sexy Phantom!

Posted Image

I do have to say that I prefer the way it ends in the stage show. The magical disappearance of the Phantom is much more effective than him walking through a broken mirror. IMHO of course

Hi Dawn...Mistress of the Lair & Voice of the Morning Light....

I think I'm the only one who doesn't like MC's voice!....And I tried...I really tried cause I love the Music so much....but tenors for the most part really irritate my ears! I have the stage music on CD....and I am not moved either by MC or Sarah....both of them are to high pitched for me....and I love to listen to these songs LOUD! I love Emmy's, Patrick's, & G's voices though...they seem so fresh and young and... not as polished (I love that!)....in fact I can't stand to listen to the stage version anymore....now that's being really spoiled for any other....for those who saw the Vegas version...how was the Raoul character? And Mdm. Giry....not my faves on the stage version CD either....ALW's music is so beautiful...the music and the words always move me....but not the performances for some reason......it just doesn't have That Magical Element that the movie has...for me anyway......

Posted Image

Edited by Debrasue

Debra I like MC, but he is not my favorite stage Phantom. He never did it for me with his voice. In all fairness I never saw him perform it, just heard the recording. I did however, se MC in Vegas when he developed EFX (wonderful show) and I thought he was phenominal in that!

Honestly i don't know the name of the man who played him in Chicago 18 years ago when I first saw the show. But it was his performance that first made me feel the love and passion of the Phantom. Gerry took it to a whole other level.

Deb, when MC performed the role on stage, it was quite different from the recorded version (which I NEVER listen to anymore either!) I did love his voice before I ever saw him ACT the role, but his power in person is truly stunning.

Again, it all comes down to what moves you.... to what the actor brings out of the character. MC for me, was more like Gerry's portrayal than Anthony's, and MC did some brilliant and very sexy things with his body language.

But of course now, Gerry is and will always be MY Phantom.... because he truly delved into every aspect of the character, and no other actor could have given him the sexual desperation of a grown man, and the broken heart of a little boy.

Swannie

Oh, about Raoul.... he was just okay, but it really is kind of a thankless role. Patrick did so much more with the film version. I despise the Madame Giry of the stage production... it's like they visualized a melodramtic Joan Crawford type, and I just can't stand her.

I love Miranda's mysterious, yet sympathetic and feminine portrayal. She is much more human.

There is very little humor in the stage Carlotta. Minnie Driver was hilarious as Carlotta, the stage show plays her for less laughs.

Swannie

Posted Image

In fairness....I've never seen the live stage version either....only bits & pieces that have been recorded on video....but still not moved by what I saw/heard...kept hoping that eventually they would find different actors....and it could be it's more of a physical irritation to my ears....high pitched sounds irritate the h*ll out of me....LOL! Like trying to listen to La Carlotta...I can imagine Phantom with his hands over his ears...agony!...agony!....Why don't they listen to ME!!! There is only one voice in this opera house that is worthy to sing....and that voice emanates from the throat of Christine!!!!

Posted Image

Edited by Debrasue

Debrasue - MC's voice has never done it for me either. In all fairness, I've never seen MC perform it live and I've heard from enough people that he was breathtaking in the role. But tenors have never truly appealed to me. When I saw the stage show in San Francisco years ago, I saw Davis Gaines as Phantom and he was amazing, IMO. If memory serves, he's a baritone and I just remember being completely enthralled by his voice and his performance.

I actually enjoyed the Raoul in the the LV stage show over the one I saw before the movie. He reminded me a bit of Patrick Wilson's portrayal which I really loved. Much more of a strong figure than the stage show I saw or Heaven Forbid, the wussy man in the book. *gah*

I've missed posting in here since just before Vegas but I continue to be amazed by the creativity in here as well as the depth of emotion. The Phantom certainly has a pull on us. *sigh*

Jillian, Mistress of the Night

Posted Image

I guess I'm in there with you Debrasue and Jill! I just can't warm up to MC either... At first I said to my sister that Gerry didn't sing as well as MC and she had me listen to MC's version of MOTN and Gerrys at the same time with two sets of earphones and the difference was amazing as far as the strength in their voices....you can definitely tell that MC is a trained singer but he (JMO) didn't come close to the roar and passion of Gerrys version. His version far out did MC's kinda shrilly version! Now I have to say that you're right...I've never seen the stageplay but even in the POTO extras where they show you all the different Phantom versions ....not ONE could sway me the way Gerry did!! I don't know that it was the singing voice that blew me away ....I think not....it was definately the way he sang and the passion in his voice ...not to mention the look that totally captured my soul! I hate it when I still hear derogatory remarks about POTO the movie ....This makes my blood boil but to be honest I think it was because there was such a stink about MC not playing the role of Erik himself... Gerry was blackballed before the movie was even finished as far as I'm concerned! JMHO....

Ladyfran of the Lair 'Mistress of the Masters Cherished Violin'

Posted Image

I may be repeating myself in here. But even my kids hear the difference in the performances. Again, I'm basing this comparison on the Broadway soundtrack vs the movie soundtrack. Even with my kids getting totally sick of me playing POTO incessantly for months on end in the house and in the car, they enjoy the movie soundtrack better.

My 17 year old daughter, who has been a musician since the 4th grade, told me that while she recognizes that technically MC has a more well-trained voice, she just doesn't "feel" the emotion that she feels in the movie. She's not biased like her mother when it comes to Gerry. She thinks he's good looking but is pretty sure I've lost my mind. But she'll take the movie soundtrack over the other any day.

I KNOW, folks will disagree with me and that's fine. I'm sure MC was absolutely fabulous in the play otherwise he wouldn't have carried that role for so many years but I can only go based on what I hear and what I feel when it's playing.

:duck: tomatoes from MC fans.

Posted Image

Jilly, nobody will throw tomatoes at you in the Lair! (it's too hard to clean the bloody things off stone surfaces)

Had I never actually seen MC in the role of the Phantom, and only had the soundtrack to go by, I doubt the London recording could have moved me. But the live performance is something else entirely.

Had the film been made 10 years ago when it was first discussed among the powers, MC would have played the Phantom. But in the years prior to the making of Phantom 2004, Michael had puffed up from the use of steroids and put on a lot of weight, as he suffers terribly from colitis. He was in no shape to play the role, and was frankly too old for the direction JS wanted to take the show.

I do wish everyone who loves POTO could have seen MC live in the production, but but I am so glad Gerry gave us HIS screen Phantom.

Swannie

Posted Image

I do wish that I had seen MC when he played Phantom on Broadway. I've heard he was absolutely breathtaking live.

I'm hoping to be able to see Phantom again when it comes to Portland and perhaps when it plays in Sacramento. What a treat that would be. Such an amazingly captivating story. Especially amazing after reading that ghastly book of LeRoux's. I'm so glad that others saw the story for its essence and not just based on his writing. Just look at all the renditions we've had of it over the years in books and movies and yet it still is a wonder.

*giggling over the idea of cleaning tomatoes off the stone walls* You crack me up Swannie. ;)

Posted Image

Jilly, my best friend and I are seeing POTO in Portland in 2008! I've never seen a road show version, so I am looking forward to it! Plus, another excuse to wear my red dress!

Debrasue.... where are you??????

Swannie

OMG!!! I thought that little red flying thing was a strawberry! :doh: Guess I'm pretty good at dodging it otherwise I would've known it was a tomato! LOL!!! :duck:

I saw that video Swann...very touching.....and well made!