Gerard Butler GALS

Vagabond Soul

Dear Gerry,

First off, I have never been to Scotland, but before my real dad passed away, he told me that parts of Scotland look very much like my home State. I dream of visiting there one day, and would love to learn more about my Scottish heritage as a Stewart. Ever since my Grandmother bought me a Stewart tartan girl's kilt for my 8th birthday, there has been some part of myself always dreaming of being there. If I use my imagination, coupled with the photos I have seen of your homeland... I can almost sense the atmosphere of the place.

I wrote this for a poetry competition, sponsored by some ladies at GB.net to promote Robert Burns, and your upcoming movie role as the Bard. This poem was inspired by you, my marriage, by Robert Burns, and by Scotland. (and of course, there is a little Phantom in there as well!)

Vagabond Soul

By Swansong

When aging winter's slumber beckons dreams,

I journey to a land, my spirit's eyes have seen,

Wild grassy slopes, and windswept highlands arching green,

Overshadowed by a glowering Scottish sky.

Up to the standing stones I climb, barefoot in the mossy peat,

Promise and enchantment, beating like wings beneath my feet,

Spring winds howling, Gaelic angels sent to meet,

Murmuring of lives, and tears, and loves gone by.

I am driven to a time that is long since past,

Away from imprisonment in the hourglass,

A moment of bliss, the bloom of roses fading fast,

There I am compelled, and awaken to.

Gathering my skirts, I swirl, to the music thrumming in my ear,

The droning, mournful pipes have summoned me here,

Where I must chant and dance, that my soul draw near,

To a lover whose face and form I once knew.

The one my heart seeks, I yearn to see,

My bonny lover, is calling to me,

His love song mirrored in the craggy, and stormy sea,

His voice echoes love's long lost, and tragic songs.

Across the cliffs, and through the rain-fresh heather I roam,

Where I long ago, planted hope, hearth and home,

At last to find a love and land of my own,

To the sweet country where my vagabond soul belongs.

There he awaits, atop the highest hill,

His arms outstretched, time's distance to steal,

The winsome lover, my heart does seal,

Together 'midst the encircling stones we dance.

This love by death, shall be reborn,

As ages flee away, and time's fabric is torn,

Never again shall we be forlorn,

Enfolded in flowering, eternal romance.

I am young again, my gray hairs turned to gold,

My face alight with youth, I shed the old,

My soul bursts with joy, my failing heart cannot hold,

Grace transforms my passing, and fleeting frame.

I drink his kiss, the taste of lover's wine,

I feel the burn of his soul blazing in mine,

The glimmer of his burnished eyes, fingers of fire entwined,

My heart shivers, when he speaks my name.

Please click here to read the entries:

Burns Poetry Competition

I love this poem ,Swann!....The more I read it the more fascinating it becomes...

From what I can see it is a quatrain form...there are four lines per stanza....usually the second and fourth line rhyme...in your poem you have the first three lines rhyme....cool!

You have ten stanzas....the last words of stanzas 1&2 rhyme, the same with stanzas 3&4, 5&6,7&8,9&10...I like that!

This is not only a beautiful poem....but the form is brilliant & unique in my personal & humble opinion....

Edited by Trouble

Thank you, dear! As I told you, I just write what comes to me! I've no notion about forms and such.

This poem also has a secret message.... (hint..... it has nothing to do with Gerry, Burns or Scotland. Read the fourth lines only to figure it out!)

Deb, if you would like to post it on your literature site, you have my permission, just use my full name as the author: Bonnie Anne Pinard

I would love to know what REAL writers think about it!

Thanks again for your comments, you encourage me!

Swannie

Wow Swannie! you sure know how to bowl a gal over! Posted Image I am not a fan much of poetry, but this one 'sings' Posted Image to me, much like my beloved Erik.

My grandmother went to Scotland when I was 8 too! She brought home pounds of tartan and made me my own clan (Mac Donald) Kilt. Sorry to say there is not much left of me Kilt. I cut it up when it got too small for BCR Gear. I have pieces, with one piece set aside to give to Gerry. Posted Image

Posted Image

This poem also has a secret message.... (hint..... it has nothing to do with Gerry, Burns or Scotland. Read the fourth lines only to figure it out!)

Yes I saw that, Swann....I assumed it was about Phantom....the combined fourth lines in every stanza stands on it's own as a poem! I believe it would be referred to as a 'couplet'....every two lines rhyme That's why I said it was 'unique'....and very fascinating! Of course I could've been reading into it what I thought I interpreted...I was hoping that's what you meant! It's like two poems in one!

I belong to the MacIntosh/McCampbell clan....according to my brother who has done all the family research.....hard to know the exact details when almost all of the family records have been destroyed , they were traditionally archived in the kirks...and many of them were damaged or destroyed by fires...depending on who was the reigning ruler at the time! So all we have is basically is stories passed down thru the generations.....

Hey Deb! (that's my name also,LOL!) I love your smilie with St. Andrew's Cross! Actually.... all of your little smilies are cool!

Edited by Trouble

Yes I saw that, Swann....I assumed it was about Phantom....the fourth line in every stanza stands on it's own as a poem! That's why I said it was 'unique'....and very fascinating! Of course I could've been reading into it what I thought I interpreted...I was hoping that's what you meant!

I belong to the MacIntosh/McCampbell clan....according to my brother who has done all the family research.....hard to know the exact details when almost all of the family records have been destroyed , they were traditionally archived in the kirks...and many of them were damaged or destroyed by fires...depending on who was the reigning ruler at the time! So all we have is basically is stories passed down thru the generations.....

Hey Deb! (that's my name also,LOL!) I love your smilie with St. Andrew's Cross! Actually.... all of your little smilies are cool!

Nope.... there are a few lines that are a wee bit Phantomish, but that is not the hidden message.

I know next to nothing about my Scottish heritage, but my Great Grandfather was born and raised in Scotland. Maybe someday I'll get there and research our family.

Swannie

Ok...so it's not Phantomish....hmmmm....I'll have to read it again....see...I said I could've read into it what I interpreted! LOL! If not Phantomish....could it still be Chansonish?.....that's what my idea of Phantom would've been...from 'your' story....if it's not Chanson related (Waltz With Death?)...I'm at a total loss! In which case...I'll need another 'clue'.....

Overshadowed by a glowering Scottish sky.

Murmuring of lives, and tears, and loves gone by.

There I am compelled, and awaken to

To a lover whose face and form I once knew.

His voice echoes love's long lost, and tragic songs.

To the sweet country where my vagabond soul belongs

Together 'midst the encircling stones we dance.

Enfolded in flowering, eternal romance.

Grace transforms my passing, and fleeting frame.

My heart shivers, when he speaks my name.

Edited by Trouble

Beautiful, Swannie. I haven't figured out your secret message yet - not good at that sort of thing - but I loved your poem. I, too, dream of Scotland (my ancestors were - among others, Anderson, Clark, Armstrong, McPheaters and more) My soul thrills to the sound of the bagpipe and I feel it's always calling me home. Someday, someday. Keep giving us your songs, in whatever form they take. :claphands:

Ok...so it's not Phantomish....hmmmm....I'll have to read it again....see...I said I could've read into it what I interpreted! LOL! If not Phantomish....could it still be Chansonish?.....that's what my idea of Phantom would've been...from 'your' story....if it's not Chanson related...I'm at a total loss!

No darlin.... it speaks in a parabolic fashion, of my faith.

You are too cute, Deb... just too cute!

Swannie

So....I also thought about the spiritual aspect of being born again....but the first line throws me....Is it about being 'born again'? Need more clues if not.....

parabolic...as in parable...not as in mathematics?.....

Edited by Trouble

So....I also thought about the spiritual aspect of being born again....but the first line throws me....Is it about being 'born again'? Need more clues if not.....

yes, as in a parable. Did you get my PM?

yes, as in a parable. Did you get my PM?

Yep...got it! Thank goodness it's not mathematics!....I'd have to go back to wikipedia to find out what 'parabolas' were(parabolic trajectory comes to mind!).... and I'm rubbish at math! LOL! Edited by Trouble