Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
oceania

What is the best Phantom book you ever read?

Hi Oceana! :Welcome2: I've read lots of Phantom books, including Leroux's original novel, Susan Kay's Phantom, and lots of fan fiction. By far, my favorites have to be Phoenix of the Opera and Out of the Darkness, both by our very own Sadie Montgomery. There should be a link from the GALS boutique to order them from Amazon. You didn't ask, but I'll also say that the very worst Phantom book I ever read was Phantom of Manhattan by Frederick Forsythe. I loathed it! :bleh2:

edited to correct stupid grammar mistake :bonk:

I agree with you Elissa on Phoenix and Out of the Darkness. They are great reads from Sadie Montgomery. I have yet to read Susan Kay's Phantom. I think the only reason why I haven't is because it did not rate as high as Sadie's books, so I wanted to read hers first as hers got very high marks through Amazon.com. Check out Amazon.com for all Phantom reads. You won't be disappointed because there are many to choose from and all have different takes on how the story ends.

Tojo :wave:

Stephanie, can I find your novel on Amazon? Would like to read it also.

Tojo :wave:

I recently read Night Magic by Charlotte Vale Ellen. It is not the phantom and Christine's story but similar. The main character's name is also Erik and he is badly scarred since childhood. He is loved by a young girl. The story is set in a contemporary setting and not in the 19th century. The book was a page turner for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Night-Magic-Charlott...n/dp/096574373X

How did I miss this thread?

Galfriends my book shelves groan with Phantom tomes, I have been sent so many I could start a library in my bedroom.

And I also have the graphic novel by Pete Bregman, The Trap-Door Maker, which is very rare, but sadly I only have parts two and three...need to find part one but know it will be very expensive!

My ulitimate favourites are,

Sadie Montgomeries series,

Jodie Mintons....when can we expect another?

and love it or not,

Frederick Forsyth's Phantom of Manhattan...he wrote it with/for Andrew Lloyd Webber, and he surely knows what he wants for his sequel.

It will be lavish and being set in Manhattan will expand the scope of the casting.

For light relief and some nonsense, can I recomend,

Maskerade by Terry Pratchett? Not a true Phantom novel but part of his Discworld series, I adore his writing and sadly he has just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. He has donated half a million sterling to research as he is so angry the way treatment is dished out here in the UK.

And if anyone would like to borrow on pain of death to return same, I will willingly send any book you can't find in your town.....except for Sadie's and she knows why!

hugs,

Anna x

I think I have just about everyone of the Phantom books written by Gerry fans and others and have enjoyed them in varying degrees but wont part with any of them. My favorites have to be the series by Sadie Montgomery and Susan Kays" The Phantom. I am reading Letters to Erik by An Wallace and find it different and unusual but good. Sadie has been a gifted writer in her series and I hope she continues with more novels, hopefully more Phantom based ones again. I love to read and so many of you gals are so talented in the writing department. Thanks for sharing.

I am anxiously awaiting delivery of all four of Sadie's books that will be mine to own. I can't wait to read Phantom Death. Then I will probably read Phoenix of the Opera and start the whole set again. I am also emailing back and forth with and Erik and Christine fan. She sends me her Erik and Christine fan fiction and I send her my Erik and Meg fan fiction.

If Phantom Death is as good as the other three I am so excited. I know it will be.

Love,

Tracy

Edited by JustCallMeTracy

Phantomluv-- yep! You can order my book on Amazon!

I have been without my beloved laptop for two weeks!! Thank goodness I saved my writing on a disk!

Just started my collection of Phantom books. Besides the original story, I have completed Stefanie's book "The Phantom Returns" (loved it by the way :clap: and wrote a review for it at Amazon) and Kae D. Jacob's "Beyond the Masque".

Stefanie, I got so caught up in your book that I read it in one sitting. I recommended it to my secretary, lent it to her and she is now reading it.

I wrote a review for "Beyond the Masque", too. I have to say that "Beyond..." got to me in a way that few books have; after I finished it, I started reading it through a second time, immediately. It was one of those books that sucked me in and had me staying up to all hours because I didn't want to put it down, and although I am a fast reader, the book is over 600 pages. I was pulled in from page one. I must be a "visual" learner, because I have been trying so hard to figure out exactly how Erik looks. I pulled out all of the descriptive passages about him from this book and have actually made a "chart" of the characteristics mentioned. But I still can't good mental image!! I find this very frustrating. Posted ImageI can't even use Gerry's POTO make-up as a starting place because he was portrayed so differently from Erik in Leroux's original. I would really like to get a look at anything from any artists out there who have done a full face portrait of original Erik with his mask off.

I just started the first of Sadie Montgomery's series, "The Phoenix of the Opera". I have the rest of the set to read and I have a $140+ order coming from Amazon with more Phantom books.

Liana

Edited by IListen

With such a glowing review I may just have to buy these two books! I have them on my amazon wish list, so maybe I'll cruise by and see about getting them.

ets: ordered "The Phantom Returns", "Letters to Erik- The Ghost's Love Story", and "Unmasqued- An Erotic Novel of Phantom of the Opera". I know the last book has been blasted by reviewers, but I can't help it.

Edited by Knight Phantom

"Letters to Erik" and "Unmasked" are 2 of the titles on their way from Amazon. :erik: Finished "The Phoenix of the Opera" last night, and "Out of the Darkness" today. :phantom:

Had to take a break tho, to cut the grass!!

Liana

I've read so many Phantom books, I've lost track of all of them, but some of my favorites are "Phantom" by Susan Kay, the series of 4 books by Sadie Montgomery, "Night Magic" by Charlotte Vale Allen, "The Return of the Phantom" by Etienne de Mendes, "Darkness Brings the Dawn" by Jodi Leisure Minton, and "The Phantom Returns" by Stefanie Cole. I have "Letters to Erik" by An Wallace, but I haven't read it yet.

Well I'm in agreement with everyone else about Sadies books....I also read Phantom returns by Stephanie and loved that one too! I haven't read any others yet though.....right now I'm still getting through The Outlander series....kind of slow reading for me but when I picture GB as JF it makes it a lot harder to put down. I will be getting some other Phantom books too! I am really in awe of the many talented Gals we have on this site that can put words down on paper so masterfully and keep us wanting more more more!

:wave: Fran

Edited by ladyfran

I have read all four is Sadie's. I know own them and read them over. I am currently reading Stefanie Cole's The Phantom Returns and Susan Kaye's Phantom.

I like Stefanie's book a lot. I am just in to Meg and Erik more, but it is a very good read.

I recommend owning it and all of Sadie's.

I love the great talent of Susan Kaye's Phantom. Her writing is exquisite, but some of the things Erik endures is hard for me to read. I still plan to toughen up and finish it.

I also recommend it.

I want to read The original novel someday, but I fear it will be past my comprehension.

Love,

Tracy

Oh I just finished Stefanie's book. It is like Sadie's. You got to keep reading until it is finished. I was trying to to read it and Susan Kaye's book at the same time. Not a good idea for a Ghettofabulous Redneck with poor retention.

So I picked up just Stefanie's book The Phantom Returns and read it from cover to cover. It was very exciting. sad, happy and romantic.

I ended up adoring this book, Stefanie. .

Now when things calm down in my real life. I am going to finish Phantom by Susan Kaye. Then someday I am going to read Gaston Leroux's novel.

I have read the libretto to the Stage Play of ALW's does that count.

'You Go Galfriend', there are many and varied books out there under the guise of 'Phantom',

anyone read this one from 1976 by David Bischoff, 'The Phantom of the Opera'?

And does anyone know of a Phantom book which redresses the fact the 'Erik' lived in a dark, dank, and odourous underground cavern, apart from Carrie Herenandez in her collection of tales, 'Angel of Music; The Portal'?

hugs,

Anna X

Edited to say I read your book Stephanie some weeks ago, made notes but have not written review yet, sorry my silly omission.:bonk:

Edited by Anna

In 2005 and 2006, I read SO many Phantom-based alternate and sequel versions that it was insane! But my favorite is still Susan Kay's Phantom. However, that doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy the others -- and I decided to buy a copy of Sadie Montgomery's Phoenix of the Opera from the Boutique link to Amazon this morning. It's nothing short of an obsession! I took a two year break but now I'm salivating for more Erik yet again.

Wow-- I am home sick today with a stomach bug and got a wonderful message from Knight Phantom and then popped onto this thread --and you guys made my day!! I am just so happy and blessed phans are enjoying The Phantom Returns.... thanks for taking the time to post about it!

Better than Grandma's Chicken Soup!!

Stef :wuv:

Wow-- I am home sick today with a stomach bug and got a wonderful message from Knight Phantom and then popped onto this thread --and you guys made my day!! I am just so happy and blessed phans are enjoying The Phantom Returns.... thanks for taking the time to post about it!

Better than Grandma's Chicken Soup!!

Stef :wuv:

This Megerik fans is very glad she read your book. Erik and Meg had a different relationship in this book, but it was still very enjoyable.

I loved the whole story and I recommend it highly.

It was very intriguing, romantic and full of adventure.

Great job, Stefanie.

Love,

Tracy

I admit that I love the original Leroux novel, because I love PotO as a thriller / crime story / horror . And it seems to me that Leroux and I have the same sense of humor.

I have read The Phantom of Manhattan when LND opened . What can I say... poor Raoul, and poor Christine.

I still have to read Key's Phantom ( even though I dont't really like romantic versions, But I've heard this one's good ).

I would also like to read Chanson de l'Ange by swansong

Phantomess...Susan Kay's book is *not* romantic. There is love in it, but definitely not a romance novel! IMO it is the best book written after Laroux.

Phantomess...Susan Kay's book is *not* romantic. There is love in it, but definitely not a romance novel! IMO it is the best book written after Laroux.

I've heard a lot of good things , I'll try to get hold of it :)

I've heard a lot of good things , I'll try to get hold of it :)

You won't be disappointed...

I just went back and reread this thread. Interesting stuff!

Now here is a brand new book that has taken up residence right next to my First Edition Hardback of 'Phantom'

The Phantom of Valletta

I have been a fan of Vicki Hopkins ever since I stumbled over her blog which has been published Lessons from The Phanhtom of the Opera

I am also in the process of reading her non-Phantom novel The Price of Innocence

I won't give anything away for The Phantom of Valletta, except to say it is the best one I have read since Susan Kay...I left my review on amazon.

I also have a copy of Swannie's book which I will start very soon! (I have to read *shudders* Twilight first...the things a Mom does to support their kids...)