Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
LADY ALEXANDRIA

TEAM BURNS - RT BURNS

I would also like to welcome a ROYAL MEMBER to RT Burns, he has joined as a full member:

I am King David of Mann. I am a direct descendant of the House of Stanley of the Kingdom of the Isle of Man and I am also a cousin to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II (Lord of Mann) and the British Royal Family.

It is a great honor to welcome King David as a full member of RT Burns!!!!

It is also a great honor to welcome as well all the Honorary members who do us a great honor as they grace us at RT Burns with their presence. I cannot wait to hear Eddie Reader sing in the film

Thank you all for the support and we have only just begun!!!!

Hugs

Lady Alexandria

Thank you Alexandria, our Honorary Members are growing by the day and to have King David of Mann as an actual group member as well, is just amazing, well done Alexandria. :claphands:

It is wonderful to be taken seriously by so many fantastic people around the world. :claphands:

Also another actual group member who joined us today is Mike a musician/songwriter, who used to be in the pop group Simple minds and lives in New York now another Robert Burns admirer and he is posting some wonderful things for us. So please take a look, the name of Gerard Butler and Robert Burns is being spread far and wide, not only to fans but some well know people in all areas of entertainment, as well as official. :claphands:

It has taken a bit of time, but it is coming together now, so many people want to see this film and have a great

interest in Robert Burns and not just the Scottish people, which is what we hoped for :claphands:

Love Rose

Edited by rosemarie

Yes Rose so many wonderful people coming together in the name of Robert Burns!!!!

Thank you all so much the list of famous people is growing in leaps and bounds and we have only just begun

Hugs

Alexandria

WAY TO GO, TEAM BURNS!! Thank you Lady Alexandria and rosemarie for keeping us updated on all the exciting happenings regarding the future dream so many of us share - of seeing Gerard Butler on screen as the beloved Scottish Bard, Robert Burns.

Susan, thank you so much, it is wonderful to share our news on GALS!!!!!

RT Clan - RT Burns please join Rosemarie and I as we formally roll out the welcome Red Carpet for all of our Honorary Members of RT Clan - RT Burns!!!!!

We are so honored to have each and everyone of you on the list and the support has been amazing, thank you so much we all appreciate it!!!!

RT BURNS - HONORARY MEMBERS

David Sibbald - Burnsian/Speaker/Writer

Cheryl Anne Easton - Soprano

Sheila Graham - Mezzo Soprano/writer/actress

Mike Gibb - Writer

Kevin Walsh - Song Writer/Singer

Gavin Goulay - Musician/PR

Spotty Dogg - Rock Band

Dave Arcari - Blues Musician

Kim Edgar - Singer/Musician

Steve Fraser - Artist

Eddi Reader - Singer/Musician

Boo Hewerdene - Producer/Musician

Mykeo - Singer/Writer/Musician

David of Mann - Royal Connection - King David - Full Member

The amount of talent on the list is incredible, so please take a moment to welcome each and everyone on the list.

This is what it is all about, spreading the word and the buzz on Robert Burns!!!!

Remember at RT Clan Burns ALL are welcome!!!!!

We just cannot wait to see Gerard as Burns!!!!

Happy St. Andrew's Day All!!!!!!

Lady Alexandria

WELCOME TO RT TEAM BURNS TO ALL !!!

INDEED WE ARE ALL CONNECTED !!!

DLSPBS - LADY PAT

Hi RT Clan,

Thank you Susan and Pat as always, your support means a lot to us. :claphands:

Now girls if you are feeling romantic, please take a look at our RT pop star member Mike's

myspace page and click on his new Red Red Rose Song on a variation of the famous Robert Burns poem, you will love it.

It's not a hundred percent finished, but it's so sensual and romantic with a latin feel, i really really love it and have put it as my profile song.

In my mind it links Phantom and Robert Burns by The Red Rose, perfect.

I think Mike has a big hit on his hands with this Burns Tribute album, he really loves and feels Burns and you can tell.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...ed-781e1a9302fe

I can also imagine Gerard singing this song, it would suit him perfectly and us for that matter :pant:

Love Rose

Rose, I agree it is wonderful Mike is so talented.

KEEP THE BURN'S FIRE BURN BRIGHTLY

Through the rugged book of history and as we turn the pages

We look at the memorable people who have spanned the ages

We pause to ponder on the history of Scotland and her many famous faces and one in particular sparkles and shines like a rugged diamond and who's flame continues to burn ever so brightly - Robert Burns

He was a poet who had a way with the written word and who with a single silkened word could in a single moment make one's heart yearn

His New Year's Eve verse is still used far and wide, from one ocean to the distant other side

So before you judge this poet based on his front cover, think deep before you decide

There is always more to a book than it's front cover, so dig deep benneath to see why his very name in Scotland and we soon hope the entire world inspires such great pride

His Many poems have lit the world on fire, instilling in many around the globe a great sense of heartfelt desire

So let's help fan the flames and help to inspire the world to keep the name of Robert Burns forever burning brightly

I dedicate this verse I wrote in honor of all our new Honorary members, with much thanks!!!!

Alexandria

Please check out our latest Honorary Member at RT Burns and his Burns Project:

RT BURNS please give a very HUGE and WARM welcome to our newest Honorary Member- ANDY HALL

It is with great pleasure to have ANDY HALL join us here at RT Burns!!!!

By way of background, I'm a landscape photographer from the same town as Gavin (Stonehaven). To date I've built my photographic reputation on A Sense of Belonging to Scotland, the favourite places of Scottish personalities including Ewan McGregor, Ian Rankin, Eddi Reader.

Last year, being aware of Robert Burns' 250th anniversary & the Year of the Homecoming, I decided to produce a publication entitled Touched by Robert Burns with all royalties going to UNICEF. I've asked 65 people to write up to 500 words on how Robert Burns has touched their lives in a personal sense. Alongside this I am photographing lines from his poetry & songs that resonate with me.

The response has been fabulous and I already have contributions from First Minister Alex Salmond, Sir Alex Ferguson, Eddi Reader, Dame Maya Angelou & Midge Ure.

This will be published in October 2008 in time for the anniversary. I'm almost completed the photography now and I have enough to be confident that this is a very special project that will, hopefully, make a difference to the lives of needy children all over the world.

I'm sure the Touched by Robert Burns project will be of interest to you and your group when it appears in October next year.

With best wishes, Andy

You can bet I will be buying many copies and so many more if Gerard is in it

Hugs

Alexandria

Hi RT Clan,

Here is a little snippet i liked, about RB and his 'Batchelors Club'

For the 20 year old Burns, Tarbolton was to open up new possibilities which would both plague and inspire him for the rest of his life.

It was here that he was to court a member of the opposite sex, and be jilted, for the first time. In an attempt to improve his chances, or ``give my manners a brush’’, Burns took dancing lessons in the village and broadened his reading to include the works of Robert Fergusson, who also wrote in the Scots tongue.

(I liked that ' give my manners a brush' )

It was also in Tarbolton that he and his brother Gilbert, at this time aged 17, were to found the Bachelors Club in a two storey thatched building whose upkeep is now maintained by the National Trust for Scotland.

The criteria for membership of the club, principally a debating society, were that one must have ``a frank, honest, open heart; above anything dirty or mean; and must be a professed lover of one or more of the female sex.’’

(He definitely qualified for the first part and it certainly didn't take him long to qualify for the last criteria, did it? ) :D

At that time Burns had yet to experience a successful encounter with one, never mind more than one, member of the opposite sex, but the flight of fancy was to set the tone for much of his adult life.

Love Rose

Edited by rosemarie

WE WANTED TO WISH EVERYONE OUT THERE A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM RT BURNS!!!!!

Thank you all so much for the support and inspiration throughout the past year it has all been so wonderful, so many wonderful people coming together in the name of Robert Burns and Scotland. I can promise you that 2008 will indeed be another exciting year for us with many surprizes around the corner!!!!

Thank you as well to all our Honorary and New members you have really honored us with your presence.

Once again thank you all and a Happy Holiday Season and a Healthy and Happy New Year!!!!!

Christmas Carol

Here is a poem in Scots by Alexander Gray telling the familiar tale of "No room at the inn".

Christmas Carol

'Twas a cauld, cauld nicht i' the back o' the year;

The snaw lay deep, and the starns shone clear;

And Mary kent that her time was near,

As she cam to Bethlehem.

When Joseph saw the toon sae thrang,

Quo' he: 'I houp I be na wrang,

But I'm thinkin' we'll find a place ere lang;'

But there wasna nae room for them.

She quo', quo' she: 'O Joseph loon,

Rale tired am I, and wad fain lie doon.

Is there no a bed in the hail o' the toon?

For farrer I canna gae.'

At the ale-hoose door she keekit ben,

But there was sic a steer o' fremmyt men,

She thocht till hirsel': 'I dinna ken

What me and my man can dae.'

And syne she spak: 'We'll hae to lie

I' the byre this nicht amang the kye

And the cattle beas', for a body maun try

To thole what needs maun be,'

And there amang the strae and the corn,

While the owsen mooed, her bairnie was born.

O, wasna that a maist joyous morn

For sinners like you and me?

For the bairn that was born that nicht i' the sta'

Cam doon frae Heaven to tak awa'

Oor fecklessness, and bring us a'

Safe hame in the hender-en'.

Lord, at this Yule-tide send us licht,

Hae mercy on us and herd us richt.

For the sake o' the bairnie born that nicht,

O, mak us better men! Meaning of unusual words:

starns=stars

thrang=crowded

quo'=said

loon=lad

fain=want

farrer=further

keekit ben=peeked through

sic a steer o' fremmyt men=such a crowd of strange men

ken=know

syne=since

kye=cow

thole=endure

strae=straw

owsen=oxen

bairnie=child

fecklessness=weakness, incomptence

hender-en'=latter days of life

Hugs

Alexandria & Rose

THE HISTORY OF - "AULD LANG SYNE" - Robert Burns

by ALEXANDRIA

"Auld Lang Syne" has become a well-known and well-loved song in all English-speaking lands. Many people, if asked, would call it a Scottish folk song, and it is true that the melody may originally have been a folk tune. The words, however, were written by Scotland's famous poet, Robert Burns, who lived from 1759 to 1796. He wrote this particular poem about 1788, using in its 5 stanzas a goodly measure of Scottish dialect.

The title words mean, literally, "old long since" or, colloquially, "the good old days." The phrase "auld lang syne" appears at the end of each verse and in 3 of the 4 lines of the chorus, as well as in the title. Other dialect words are sometimes altered in modern versions of the song to make them more easily understood.

It is believed that the words and music 1st appeared together in published form in the Scots Musical Museum in 1796. The melody is also known as "The Miller's Wedding" and it was possibly in this form that Robert Burns 1st heard it. But it is a melody that is sometimes credited to composer William Shield, who used it, or something very similar to it, in his opera Rosina, presented at the London Covent Garden Opera House in 1783. It appeared in the overture to the opera and was played so that it imitated the sound of Scottish bagpipes.

Regardless of origin, the tune with the Burns words quickly became a famous song and before long was popular as the last song to be sung when an evening party broke up. The ritual developed that the group stood up in a circle, each one crossing his arms in front of his chest and clasping his neighbors' hands to left and right. While singing, all arms were swung forward and back in time with the music.

Still often sung at parties, picnics, around campfires, "Auld Lang Syne" is most often sung at New Year's parties when the old year dies at midnight and the new year is ushered in.

England and Scotland both claim the song, and the U.S. has certainly adopted it as its own also.

Auld Lang Syne

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,

And never brought to mind?

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,

And auld lang syne!

Chorus.-For auld lang syne, my dear,

For auld lang syne.

We'll tak a cup o' kindness yet,

For auld lang syne.

And surely ye'll be your pint stowp!

And surely I'll be mine!

And we'll tak a cup o'kindness yet,

For auld lang syne.

For auld, &c.

We twa hae run about the braes,

And pou'd the gowans fine;

But we've wander'd mony a weary fit,

Sin' auld lang syne.

For auld, &c.

We twa hae paidl'd in the burn,

Frae morning sun till dine;

But seas between us braid hae roar'd

Sin' auld lang syne.

For auld, &c.

And there's a hand, my trusty fere!

And gie's a hand o' thine!

And we'll tak a right gude-willie waught,

For auld lang syne.

For auld, &c.

Happy New Year All!!!

Hugs

Alexandria

To me Christmas is all about Love, Peace, Friendship and sharing with others who have little or nothing. It is about opening your heart and letting the warm of the sun shine through.

Do not let the boat of life sail away without you and do not live in regret or despair. Live in Hope and live your dreams.

It is the season to let quarrels and anger fall behind you and look to the bright future. Live each day like it is your last and really start to live life.

Give to others when you can and your heart will smile.

I wish all of you much love and peace and hope for the holidays and a Happy New Year filled with new chapters in your life and remember just get the word "NO" and "Can't" from your vocabulary.

Each day we wake up and breath the morning air is truly a blessing.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!!

PEACE ON EARTH AND GOODWILL TO ALL!!!

Please do not say that we cannot make change and how can I make a difference ----we all can make a different because each step we take adds up to leaps and bounds

Christmas Celebrations in Scotland

Pagan Celts had celebrations around the time of the winter solstice, in part to brighten the darkest days, in part to propitiate the gods to allow the sun to return!

The Scots word "Yule" comes from the Old Norse "jól, which was a midwinter pagan celebration of the winter soltice. Traditionally, Yule refers not just to Christmas Day but the twelve days of the earlier festival.

The Christian Church took over the celebration, but some of the traditions harked back to the pagan roots. The Yule log was burned in the fireplace, there was kissing under the misletoe (related to a Druidic fertility rite) and the house was decorated with holly (evergreen trees were regarded with reverence). Of course such activities were not confined to the Celts or to Scotland.

After the Church Reformation in the 16th century, the celebration of Christmas was frowned on by the Kirk, which regarded it as a "Popish festival".

Mass was banned in Scotland at that time and "Christmas" or "Christ's Mass" was included in that.

There are records of charges being brought against people for keeping "Yule" as it was called in Scotland.

Amazingly, this dour, joy-crushing attitude lasted for 400 years. Until the 1960s, Christmas Day was a normal working day for most people in Scotland.

So if there is a specifically "Scottish" aspect to Christmas, it is that it was not celebrated. Most of our "traditional" Christmas celebrations (other than the religious festival) originated in the 19th century (Prince Albert, Queen Victoria's husband, had a lot to do with it!) and so England and Scotland developed the same traditions from around that time - Christmas trees, decorations, Santa Claus, presents, stockings at the end of the bed, Christmas Carols, Christmas cards etc. Christmas cards are said to have been invented in Edinburgh in the mid-nineteenth century,

Warm Regards

Lady Alexandria

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR ROSE!!!!!!

A friend gives hope

When life is low

A friend's a place

Where you can go

A friend is honest

A friend is true

A friend is precious

My friend is You

Happy Birthday to YOU

Happy Birthday to YOU

Happy Birthday ,

Happy Birthday

Happy Birthday to YOU

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR ROSE FROM ALL OF US AT RT CLAN BURNS!!!!

Hugs

Alexandria

Happy Hogmany and Awrrabestfur 2008 - HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!!!

A Toast for 2008

May the best ye've ever seen

be the worst ye'll ever see.

May the moose n'er leave yer girnal

wi a teardrap in it's ee.

May yer lum keep blithely reekin'

till ye'r auld enough tae dee.

May ye aye be just as happy

as I wish ye now tae be.

Happy Hogmany and awrrabestfur 2008

Thanks to Cheryl for this lovely verse

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!!! All the best for 2008

Cheers

Alexandria

Thank you Alexandria for all your wonderful posts :claphands:

I wish everyone at RT Robert Burns GALS a wonderful New Year with all they wish for and hope 2008 brings

us the film we are all waiting for, Gerard Butler as Robert Burns. :pant:

Thank you for all your interest and support along the way, it's most appreciated.

Love Rose

I sure hope 2008 brings some good news and progress on Gerards' BURNS film to be. I hope he knows he has a lot of people backing him on this role. I guess it depends a lot on funding and backing but Gerry has scaled worse obstacles than that before. Good luck to Team Burns and keep up the good fight. Positive thinking everyone.

Thank you for your support 9frozenroses :claphands:

Hi RT Clan,

I just wanted to say there are a couple of wonderful articles on RT Robert Burns by our Honorary

Members DJ Frankie and The Trybe. I think you will find the Culloden article, a particularly fascinating history lesson. :claphands:

Love Rose

Yes Team Burns onwards to 2009!!!! Thank you to everyone for the interest and awesome support it is appreciated!!!!!

Happy New Year to all!!! Like dear Rosemarie said please check out our wonderful new Honorary Members at RT Burns!!!

Have a great weekend all.

Hugs

Alexandria

Hi everyone,

Please check out Beth's beautiful watercolour illustrations for our poetry book, a couple are now up on RT

and more to follow.

Thank you so much Beth for your kindness in helping make the poetry book even more special for

Gerard. :bow2:

Love Rose

Yes I can tell you that Beth is so talented, her pictures are breathtaking and it is an honor to have her as a part of RT Burns and to include her wonderful works of art in the Gerard Poetry Book!!!!

10 THINGS YOU MAY NOT KNOW ABOUT ROBERT BURNS

With the Christmas and Hogmanay celebrations behind us, it's time to celebrate the life of Scotland's best loved poet, Mr Robert Burns.

On 25 January Scots all over the world will be gathering together to honour the great bard's short, yet prolific career. But did you know…

1. Burns' Suppers were first held on 29 January, because his friends got his birthday wrong. It was only after double checking the church register that the 25th became the definitive date!

2. There is much speculation about how many children he fathered. Most believe it is twelve, from four by different women, while others believe it could be fourteen children and by six mothers. His last son, Maxwell, was born on the day Burns was buried.

3. Many refer to him as Rabbie but Burns signed himself Robert, Rob't, Rab, Rob, and or just R. He used either 'Robbie' and 'Rabbie'.

4. Though a humble ploughman, he was well educated. He read Shakespeare and included French and Latin in his letters. He was also a competent fiddler and could sight-read music. He became a theatre enthusiast and was planning to write a play when he died.

5. The first recorded Burns supper was in 1801 in Alloway when a group of his friends gathered, not in January but in July, to mark the fifth anniversary of his death.

6. He was not a heavy drinker as his poems might suggest. Neither his health nor his wallet allowed it.

7. He was a hard worker as a farmer and exciseman as well as a poet. The 224-line poem Tam O'Shanter was drafted in a single day while occupied on his day job.

8. Burns's poems are published into more than 24 languages, including Esperanto (an artificial language based on words common to all the European languages).

9. It is estimated that Robert Burns is worth £100 million in tourist revenue alone. That's not including £5.5 million in high street sales and £1.2 million in traditional food.

10. More people will take part in a Burns' Supper this year than the total population of Scotland at the time of Burns's birth.

Hugs

Alexandria

Whoops sorry Alexandria, i hadn't noticed your lovely birthday wishes earlier, thank you so much

for your kindness as always and your lovely words, they are most appreciated.

I know you love Attila so in thanks :mopboyattila: :pant:

There's more of our very talented Beth's lovely watercolours on RT today to enjoy. Thank you so much Beth for all your kindness and hard work for us. :wave:

Love Rose

Yes everyone you must see Beth's wonderful water colors her work is amazing!!!!

I thought I would post this for all to read and enjoy:

Dear Friend of Scotland,

I would like to extend to you a very warm invitation to join our year long Homecoming Scotland celebrations in Scotland in 2009.

2009 marks the 250th anniversary of the birth of our national poet and cultural icon Robert Burns, whose message of friendship and 'Auld Lang Syne' lives on. And Burns is the inspiration behind our year long celebration of some of Scotland's great contributions to the world: Golf, Whisky, The Enlightenment and Innovation, Burns himself and our rich culture and heritage. Whether you have Scots ancestry or simply a passion for our great nation, 2009 will be an exceptional year to visit Scotland.

A programme of inspirational events will run throughout 2009, complementing the vast range of world-class attractions already offered in Scotland. From the world's biggest ever Clan Gathering in Edinburgh to Celtic Connections in Glasgow and from the Open Championship at Turnberry to the Spirit of Speyside Whisky Festival, there's something special for everyone.

I would be grateful if you could help the Homecoming Scotland team by completing our short online survey about Homecoming Scotland here. Over the next 18 months you will receive further email updates with information on our exciting Homecoming programme and details of new and great value travel deals for travelling to an staying in Scotland during 2009.

I would encourage you to get behind Homecoming Scotland 2009 and spread the word to family and friends who you can motivate to visit Scotland in 2009.

My colleagues in the new Scottish Government and I look forward to welcoming you to Scotland during 2009 . Here's to Burns, his enduring legacy, his pride in our great nation and his inspiration for our Homecoming celebrations - for auld lang syne.

Yours for Scotland

Alex Salmond

First Minister

Hugs

Alexandria