Gerard Butler GALS

TEAM BURNS - RT BURNS

MORE ABOUT MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS MISSING PIC FROM RT HONORARY MEMBER FRANK DOUGAN

MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS

I have posted new pictures of Mary Queen of Scots on my albums along with related items. This is the first time in world history that these pictures are to be seen world wide.

Frankie

The Battle of Langside 1567

I have found a 'hidden forgotten' painting (oil on canvas) of Mary Stuart, Mary Queen of Scots.

It is a mural approximately 30 feet by 4-5ft.

This magnificent wonder of art was painted by Maurice Griffenhagen ARA at the turn of the 20th century.

The mural was presented to Langside Library on Sinclair Drive, Langside, Glasgow, next to the Victoria Infirmary, where the Battle of Langside took place.

It was presented by the governors of Glasgow School of Art and unveiled in Langside Library on- 6/1/1920.

This painting is arguably one of the greatest depictions of Mary in the world and has been forgotten for almost a century.

It needs restoration as it has been displayed with criminal negligence in very unsuitable conditions before it should be displayed at Glasgow's Kelvingrove Museum for the world to view the last depictions of Mary Stuart the true queen of Scotland.

Over the past few years I have campaigned to have Mary Stuart's remains repatriated to Scotland.

I have researched through hundreds of pictures of Mary and this one has been 'lost' to the people of Scotland, until now.

I contacted Dr. Anthony Lewis, Curator of Scottish History at St Mungo's Museum in Glasgow, however he would not accept my invitation to see the picture before he had looked at a photo. I also contacted the National Gallery of Scotland alas to no avail.

I am a writer and journalist.

I must advise that the painting is quite dark because of neglect.

Frank J Dougan

Mary Queen of Scots‏

Lewis, Anthony (Anthony.Lewis@csglasgow.org)

Sent:

07 May 2008 09:48:36

To:

Dear Mr.

Dougan,

Thank you for your mail regarding the portrait of Queen Mary which you have

found.

Can you please email me a digital image or send me a photograph of

the painting so that my colleagues can see the picture? This would be the

first steps to more formal correspondence and considerations by the relevant

committees.

Yours sincerely,

Anthony Lewis

Dr Anthony Lewis

Curator of Scottish History,

Culture and Sport Glasgow,

St Mungos Museum,

2 Castle Street,

Glasgow G4 ORH

tel: 0141 553 2557

fax:0141 552 4744

email: anthony.lewis@csglasgow.org

..www. csglasgow.

org..

RE: Mary Queen of Scots‏

Lewis, Anthony (Anthony.Lewis@csglasgow.org)

Sent:

08 May 2008 10:51:11

To:

Dear Mr.Dougan - thank your for your mail.

Before any arrangements are made to view the portrait can you please send a photograph of it to me in the first instance?

Yours sincerely,

Anthony Lewis

Dr Anthony Lewis

Curator of Scottish History,

Culture and Sport Glasgow,

St Mungos Museum,

2 Castle Street,

Glasgow G4 ORH

tel: 0141 553 2557

fax:0141 552 4744

email: anthony.lewis@csglasgow.org

..www. csglasgow.

org..

Sent: 07 May 2008 22:42

To: Lewis, Anthony

Subject: RE: Mary Queen of Scots

0141 423 9325

Dear Mr. Lewis, you can meet me and I will take you to see the picture. You can bring some others if you wish with cameras. The picture is not unknown however it has been neglected and one could say partially hidden. I am sure this will be a very exciting event for Glasgow and the world to see this picture in a fitting place.

Yours sincerely,

Frank J Dougan

> From: Anthony.Lewis@csglasgow.org

>

> Subject: Mary Queen of Scots

> Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 10:41:31 +0100

>

> Dear Mr.

Dougan,

> Thank you for your mail regarding the portrait of Queen Mary which you have

> found.

Can you please email me a digital image or send me a photograph of

> the painting so that my colleagues can see the picture? This would be the

> first steps to more formal correspondence and considerations by the relevant

> committees.

>

> Yours sincerely,

>

> Anthony Lewis

>

> Dr Anthony Lewis

> Curator of Scottish History,

> Culture and Sport Glasgow,

> St Mungos Museum,

> 2 Castle Street,

> Glasgow G4 ORH

> tel: 0141 553 2557

> fax:0141 552 4744

> email: anthony.lewis@csglasgow.org

> ..www. csglasgow.

org..

Forgotten picture Mary Queen of Scots‏

Ruth.Paterson@scotland.gsi.gov.uk

Sent:

08 May 2008 13:31:49

To:

Dear Mr Dougan,

Thank you for your email.

Our Collections department have informed me that this is not an area

that we deal with.

They advise that you contact the National Galleries

of Scotland who may give you more information on the painting's

provenance and put you in touch with potential restorers.

The contact details for the National Galleries of Scotland are:

0131 624 6200

enquiries@nationalgalleries.org

National Gallery of Scotland

The Mound,

Edinburgh,

EH2 2EL

Kind regards

Ruth Paterson

Ruth Paterson

eCommunications Officer

Tel: 0131 668 8967

Email: ruth.paterson@scotland.gsi.gov.uk

Mary Queen of Scots…. The Cross within my Loof.

My darkened bones lye in a cold, damp, dark n’ dank Sarcophagus

For mony a year have been held captive in a foreign Acropolis

I went to death proud and true within my loof the Crucifix of Jesus for Him I died tho’ not in vain

I was the queen o’ bonnie France and Scotland was my hame!

Tho’ mony a foe livin’ there betrayed my short lived reign.

My faith from me they could nae take three times the axe upon my neck until my head did break.

Nae mair to me the Blackbird’s song nae mair to me the tiny baby kitten,

Thru’ lies conspiracy an’ a Casket fu’ o’ forged letters written

My sister of England the queen she had been was false untrue her milk-less breasts were smitten.

A parcel of rogues from the abyss of the earth….

Cecil, Darnley, the bastard Morey n’ Bothwell, John Knox n’ barren Queen Elizabeth,

behold my name upon your breath an’ face God for my death.

Frank J Dougan

The word Loof is Old Scots for palm of hand

Hugs

Lady Alexandria

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THE ROBERT BURNS BIRTHPLACE MUSEUM - NTS

This is the wonderful charity our RT BURNS GROUP will help raise funds for, more details on how you can help will be posted soon!!!!

A special celebration of an internationally loved Scottish writer

The National Trust for Scotland charity was first approached to take the lead in delivering a multi-million pound Burns project in 2004. The initiative involves creating the new world class Robert Burns Birthplace Museum in Alloway, carrying out a major re-interpretation of the cottage where Burns was born, delivering exciting new education facilities and enhancing the Burns Monument, Brig o'Doon and Auld Kirk.

The Trust's Burns programme will be the largest, most ambitious project the charity has ever undertaken.

Burns is a key Scottish cultural icon and it is fitting that as the nation prepares to celebrate the 250th anniversary of his birth in 2009 that work will be underway on the creation of a new museum which will preserve the Burns legacy for future generations to come.

The project will cost £21m and this is made up of:

£5.8m Heritage Lottery Fund funding

£5.5m contribution from the Scottish Government

£500,000 anticipated from Scottish Enterprise Ayrshire

Land in Alloway with an estimated worth of £2.885m from South Ayrshire Council

Trust raised to date: £2m

Trust still to raise: £5m

We will be launching a major public appeal in September 2008.

If you wish to make a donation to the Robert Burns Birthplace Museum please send your donation to the Appeals Department, The National Trust for Scotland, Wemyss House, 28 Charlotte Square, Edinburgh, EH2 4ET.

For more information on donating to this project please contact Melinda Denes on 0844 493 2113.

http://www.nts.org.uk/burns/

Hugs

Lady Alexandria

Hi RT Clan,

Here is a very special bulletin from mypsace we think you might like to read too, posted by our wonderful Member, Scottish Musician Mykeo.

Mykeo - 18 Aug 2008,

SLOW DANCE - Must Read/Listen!! LIFE IS AN UNOPENED GIFT

PLEASE REPOST AS A LAST REQUEST

This poem was written by a terminally ill young girl in a hospital

and was sent by a medical doctor.

It has been put to music by the musician Mike Ogletree from Simple Minds and posted on his Myspace page www. myspace. com/blackscot.

PLEASE pass this mail on to everyone you know -

even to those you don't know! It is the request of a special girl who will soon

leave this world due to cancer.

This young girl has 6 months left to live, and as her dying wish, she wanted to send a letter telling everyone to live their life to the fullest, since she never will.

She'll never make it to prom, graduate from high school, or get married and have a family of her own.

Remember life is truly an UNOPENED GIFT FOR ALL OF US.

Stop sweating the small stuff and behold all the beauty the world has to unfold to us and really stop and take it slow to savour it all.

SLOW DANCE

Have you ever watched kids

On a merry-go-round?

Or listened to the rain

Slapping on the ground?

Ever followed a

butterfly's erratic flight?

Or gazed at the sun

into the fading night?

You better slow down.

Don't dance so fast.

Time is short.

The music won't last.

Do you run through each day

On the fly?

When you ask How are you?

Do you hear the reply?

When the day is done

Do you lie in your bed

With the next hundred chores

Running through your head?

You'd better slow down

Don't dance so fast.

Time is short.

The music won't last.

Ever told your child,

We'll do it tomorrow?

And in your haste,

Not see his sorrow?

Ever lost touch,

Let a good friendship die

Cause you never had time

To call and say,'Hi'

You'd better slow down.

Don't dance so fast.

Time is short.

The music won't last.

When you run so fast to get somewhere

You miss half the fun of getting there.

When you worry and hurry

through your day,

It is like an unopened

gift....Thrown away.

Life is not a race.

Do take it slower

Hear the music

Before the song is over.

You can can listen to this beautiful and heartfelt song on Mykeo's myspace page below and we hope you will pass this message along with us.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cf...ab-e90aa2ec7194

Love Rose and Alexandria

Mary Queen Of Scots Article In The Scottish Daily Mirror By DJ Frankie

Hi RT Clan,

Here is a bulletin from our wonderful Honorary Member DJ Frankie, about an article in The Scottish Daily Mirror on the exciting mural he discovered recently, depicting Mary Queen of Scots on a white charger.

You can see the bigger picture and lettering on Frank's myspace if you cannot quite read the article below.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cf...endid=153789301

Love Rose and Alexandria

Date: 19 Aug 2008, 22:50

Subject: Scottish Daily Mirror 19 August '08

Now that I have found the greatest painting on earth featuring Mary Stuart we must unite to bring her remains back to home to the land of her birth. The financial consequences are without limit for Scotland especially for Home Coming year.

Frank J Dougan

Hi RT Clan,

Here is a bulletin from our Honorary Member DJ Frankie, seems he's back in action in the disco for another very worthwhile charity.

Those records certainly bring back memories a super selection there and it

sounds like it will be a great night for anyone who is lucky enough to be in Glasgow.

DJ FRANKIE IN ACTION

I WILL BE PERFORMING MY CLASSIC DISCO MUSIC ON FRIDAY 29 AUGUST AT THE ARDEN BAR IN THORNLIEBANK, GLASGOW FOR A CHARITY PROJECT TO HELP KIDS KEEP CLEAR OF DRUGS.

I have just returned from Budapest Hungary and I will be playing my sensational disco sounds such as; Kool and the Gang 'Ladies Night and Cellebration'

-LaBelle, Lady Marmalade;

Curtis Mayfield, -'Move on up';

Donna Summer-'I feel love'-

Aretha Franklin 'Respect'.

-Rose Royce-'Is it love you're after'-

Trammps-'Disco Inferno'.

Yvonne Elliman-'If I can't have you'.

Bee Gees-'Night fever'

Chaka Khan-'I'm every woman'.

The Real Thing-'You to me are everything'

- Shalamar- 'A night to remember'-

Diana Ross-'Chain Reaction';

Earth wind and fire;, 'September'

and selections from the Beatles, Elvis, Van Morrison, the Rolling Stones, Rod Stewart, Bob Marley, Abba, and Dirty Dancing;.... BE THERE.

WITH...... DJ FRANKIE, Frank Dougan

We are all very proud of you Frank.

Love Rose and Alexandria

Time To Move Got Kilt To The Next Level - The Scottish Teabag Society

Hi RT Clan,

Here is a blog from our Honorary Members the humorous Scottish Teabag Society and maybe you will have some ideas to help, them out.

Friday, August 29, 2008

Ok, enough rest. Time to move Got Kilt to the next level and it may take u with it!

There is one thing that is very clear to me about all this festival business, traveling 10-12 hours and sleeping for two hours in rest stop on the way blows. It blow large chunks matter of fact, kilt sized. So imagine this my friends. Imagine a network of people all across the country, yes even across Canada and Europe, that would do festivals representing Got Kilt. Selling t-shirts the that rock to the mudane t-shirt owners, kilting the unkilted, arming the unarmed (yes, I've hooked up with Renblades) and feeding the hungry (well ok, the Irish Baker's short bread is good for snacks).

What I envision is this:

-Got Kilt pays for all expenses, we ship you the product.

-You receive the product, setup and sell at the festival, earn a percentage of the profits and have a ton of fun and make a bunch of new friends.

What are we selling? Utilikilts, Kommando Kilts (which actually outsell the Utilikilts), wool kilts, several new lines of inexpensive kilts, my t-shirt designs, replica swords, short bread, belts, boots, Instakilts and a whole lot of humor and goodwill. I'm not looking for salesmen, I'm looking for someone with good people skills. We don't push a product on people, hell we will even tell them to go buy from someone else if the other guys product fits their needs better.

We sell very well at Scottish games, Irish festivals, Celtic festivals, biker gatherings, Sci Fi conventions, and Ren Faires. Also Goth or Pridefests goes good.

If you are interested please drop me a line or pass this on to your friends who might be. Right now we are gung ho to setup vendors in the southern half of the US and out West because their festivals are still going strong. Especially Florida, Texas and California. Also of special interest to me is St. Andrews Societys or other groups that want to earn money for their charities.

So drop me a line and give me your thoughts. Definitly appreciate any advice you can give me or any leads.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cf...endID=119708789

Love Rose and Alexandria

Sir Sean Connery backs Homecoming Scotland golf promotion.

Sir Sean Connery is to lend his voice to a new film promoting Scotland's reputation as the home of golf.

"Scotland the Home of Golf" is set to be premiered at this year's Ryder Cup at Valhalla Golf Club in the USA.

The film will encourage visitors to come to Scotland in 2009 and join the country's homecoming celebrations at next year's Open Championships at Turnberry.

Homecoming 2009 has been organised to coincide with the 250th anniversary of poet Robert Burns' birth and aims to attract the Scots Diaspora around the world to return home.

The Hollywood star made the announcement at Peterculter Golf Club in Aberdeen.

"I've been a lifelong supporter of golf and Burns, so to combine the two next year seems very appropriate," he said. "I look forward enormously to promoting the film, which I'm sure will do justice to Scotland's reputation as the home of golf."

First Minister Alex Salmond also used the opportunity to call for golf clubs across Scotland to open their courses up to the 'Drive it Home' initiative, which is set to be promoted as part of Homecoming Scotland 2009.

The aim is for hundreds of Scotland's courses to offer a free four ball to overseas visitors during the Year of Homecoming.

Mr Salmond said: "It is fantastic that Sir Sean has decided to do the film. Steven Spielberg couldn't lure him out of retirement, but Homecoming obviously has."

Here is link:

http://www.homecomingscotland2009.com/news...me-of-golf.html

Hugs

Lady Alexandria

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Jackson goes into studio with Robert Burns

by ALEXANDRIA

Michael Jackson goes into studio with Robert Burns

David Gest claims to have collaborated with pop legend on album setting poems to music

Wednesday August 27 2008 13:44 BST

Bard dream come true ... Robert Burns and Michael Jackson. Images: Getty/Time LIfe/Corbis

Robert Burns's poetry might have been dismissed as "sentimental doggerel" by Jeremy Paxman but that hasn't stopped diminutive I'm A Celebrity contestant David Gest and pop legend Michael Jackson from recording an album of the much-loved Scottish poet's work. Gest's spokesman said the album is a modern musical take on some of Burns' classic poems, and had been a long cherished project.

He explained that he and Jackson were originally planning to do a musical about Burns's life, but decided instead to turn his poetry into show tunes. Poems featured on the album include Ae Fond Kiss and Tam O'Shanter, the story of a man from Ayr who stays too long in a pub and witnesses a satanic vision on his trip home. Gest is now keen to tackle Red Red Rose, he said.

"We haven't changed the lyrics but the music is now modern and brought up to date," Gest said. "Michael and I had fun. It's something we have always wanted to do…because he is our favourite poet."

There are no current plans to release the recording as an album.

Here is the link:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/200...est.robertburns

Not quite sure how I feel about this one.......

Lady Alexandria

• 3 weeks later...

CONGRATS TO EVERYONE FOR THE GRAND SUPPORT WE ARE AT 1, 000 THREADS AT RT BURNS!!!!!!!!! Thank you all!!!!!!

October 2008 Newsletter

A truly international gathering

The Gathering 2009 passports are continuing to sell well, alongside our Highland Games tickets which became available to buy online last month.

Globe We are delighted to confirm that The Gathering 2009 will be a truly international celebration, with visitors already coming from 23 different countries at our last count. These are: Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Singapore, South Africa, USA, and in Europe, Belgium, England, France, Germany, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Wales and, of course, Scotland.

Within the USA alone, we have visitors coming from 45 of the 50 states. It would be amazing if our visitors “came home” from all of the American states so, if you know of any friends of Scots descent living in Connecticut, Iowa, Nevada, North Dakota or Wyoming, why not let them know about The Gathering 2009?

Highland Games weekend

Our online ticket shop is now selling 1 and 2 day tickets for the Highland Games weekend.

These tickets give you access to a fantastic weekend of events taking place in Holyrood Park, events include:-

The top ‘Heavies’ from around the world competing in 'The 2009 Deuchars World Highland Games Heavy Events Championship'.

The Gathering 2009 Championship' for Scottish Highland Dancing.

The ‘Clan Village’ with representatives from over 115 clans.

A fantastic array of Scottish products and produce in our ‘Flavour of Scotland’.

The Gathering 2009 Invitational Solo Piping Competition'.

Musical artists and bands showcasing the best of Scottish music.

Hill racing around Holyrood Park taking in parts of Edinburgh’s famous Arthur’s seat.

To purchase these tickets please click on Online Ticket Shop.

Christmas mailout dates

Our online shop launched on the 9th September with The Gathering 2009 t-shirt currently our best seller. We will be launching a range of new products over the coming months keep checking the site to see what’s new in store.

The last order date for deliveries before Christmas is the 1st December so make sure you place your orders in plenty of time.

The auld alliance between Scotland and France is very much alive!

The Gathering 2009 is delighted to welcome a new member to the team this week. Not only is Ginie Naisby an asset in our increasingly busy office with her graphic design skills and event production experience, she is also a fluent French speaker, given she is half French.

Before coming on board, Ginie spent two weeks touring the east coast of the USA, so if you happened to see a white Subaru car with “The Gathering 2009” fender sticker driving anywhere between Boston and Key West in Florida, it could have had Ginie behind the wheel. Despite this being her annual vacation, she distributed leaflets about next year’s event wherever she went, so she certainly is a welcome addition to our team! You can read more about Ginie in our team section of the website.

Lord Sempill has also added a touch of ‘je ne sais quoi’ to the auld alliance with his appearance on French television, in the travel and discovery programme, Echappees Belles on France5. He appears alongside Deirdre Kinloch Anderson talking about tartan and the clans near the beginning of this fascinating hour-long broadcast about Scotland. If you wish to watch this online, click on Broadcast Link.

The Gathering 2009 Ltd 27 Queen Charlotte St Edinburgh EH6 6AX

T: +44 (0)131 561 1323 E: info@thegathering2009.com W: www.thegathering2009.com

Hugs

Lady Alexandria

Halloween or, more correctly, Hallowe'en, celebrated on October 31st, marks the last day of the year on the ancient Celtic calendar, its night being the time when all witches and warlocks walked abroad and engaged in wicked revelry. With the coming of Christianity, the feast was transformed into the Eve of All Hallows, or All Saints. The following poem by Robert Burns is a good indication of how pre-Christian Halloween beliefs and traditions survived well into the Christian era.

HALLOWEEN

by Robert Burns

Upon that night, when fairies light

On Cassilis Downans dance,

Or owre the lays, in splendid blaze,

On sprightly coursers prance;

Or for Colean the route is ta'en,

Beneath the moon's pale beams;

There, up the cove, to stray and rove,

Among the rocks and streams

To sport that night.

Among the bonny winding banks,

Where Doon rins, wimplin' clear,

Where Bruce ance ruled the martial ranks,

And shook his Carrick spear,

Some merry, friendly, country-folks,

Together did convene,

To burn their nits, and pou their stocks,

And haud their Halloween

Fu' blithe that night.

The lasses feat, and cleanly neat,

Mair braw than when they're fine;

Their faces blithe, fu' sweetly kythe,

Hearts leal, and warm, and kin';

The lads sae trig, wi' wooer-babs,

Weel knotted on their garten,

Some unco blate, and some wi' gabs,

Gar lasses' hearts gang startin'

Whiles fast at night.

Then, first and foremost, through the kail,

Their stocks maun a' be sought ance;

They steek their een, and graip and wale,

For muckle anes and straught anes.

Poor hav'rel Will fell aff the drift,

And wander'd through the bow-kail,

And pou't, for want o' better shift,

A runt was like a sow-tail,

Sae bow't that night.

Then, staught or crooked, yird or nane,

They roar and cry a' throu'ther;

The very wee things, todlin', rin,

Wi' stocks out owre their shouther;

And gif the custoc's sweet or sour.

Wi' joctelegs they taste them;

Syne cozily, aboon the door,

Wi cannie care, they've placed them

To lie that night.

The lasses staw frae 'mang them a'

To pou their stalks of corn:

But Rab slips out, and jinks about,

Behint the muckle thorn:

He grippet Nelly hard and fast;

Loud skirl'd a' the lasses;

But her tap-pickle maist was lost,

When kitlin' in the fause-house

Wi' him that night.

The auld guidwife's well-hoordit nits,

Are round and round divided,

And monie lads' and lasses' fates

Are there that night decided:

Some kindle coothie, side by side,

And burn thegither trimly;

Some start awa, wi' saucy pride,

And jump out-owre the chimlie

Fu' high that night.

Jean slips in twa wi' tentie ee;

Wha 'twas she wadna tell;

But this is Jock, and this is me,

She says in to hersel:

He bleezed owre her, and she owre him,

As they wad never mair part;

Till, fuff! he started up the lum,

And Jean had e'en a sair heart

To see't that night.

Poor Willie, wi' his bow-kail runt,

Was brunt wi' primsie Mallie;

And Mallie, nae doubt, took the drunt,

To be compared to Willie;

Mall's nit lap out wi' pridefu' fling,

And her ain fit it brunt it;

While Willie lap, and swore by jing,

'Twas just the way he wanted

To be that night.

Nell had the fause-house in her min',

She pits hersel and Rob in;

In loving bleeze they sweetly join,

Till white in ase they're sobbin';

Nell's heart was dancin' at the view,

She whisper'd Rob to leuk for't:

Rob, stowlins, prie'd her bonny mou',

Fu' cozie in the neuk for't,

Unseen that night.

But Merran sat behint their backs,

Her thoughts on Andrew Bell;

She lea'es them gashin' at their cracks,

And slips out by hersel:

She through the yard the nearest taks,

And to the kiln goes then,

And darklins graipit for the bauks,

And in the blue-clue throws then,

Right fear't that night.

And aye she win't, and aye she swat,

I wat she made nae jaukin',

Till something held within the pat,

Guid Lord! but she was quakin'!

But whether 'was the deil himsel,

Or whether 'twas a bauk-en',

Or whether it was Andrew Bell,

She didna wait on talkin'

To spier that night.

Wee Jennie to her grannie says,

"Will ye go wi' me, grannie?

I'll eat the apple at the glass

I gat frae Uncle Johnnie:"

She fuff't her pipe wi' sic a lunt,

In wrath she was sae vap'rin',

She notice't na, an aizle brunt

Her braw new worset apron

Out through that night.

"Ye little skelpie-limmer's face!

I daur you try sic sportin',

As seek the foul thief ony place,

For him to spae your fortune.

Nae doubt but ye may get a sight!

Great cause ye hae to fear it;

For mony a ane has gotten a fright,

And lived and died deleeret

On sic a night.

"Ae hairst afore the Sherramoor, --

I mind't as weel's yestreen,

I was a gilpey then, I'm sure

I wasna past fifteen;

The simmer had been cauld and wat,

And stuff was unco green;

And aye a rantin' kirn we gat,

And just on Halloween

It fell that night.

"Our stibble-rig was Rab M'Graen,

A clever sturdy fallow:

His son gat Eppie Sim wi' wean,

That lived in Achmacalla:

He gat hemp-seed, I mind it weel,

And he made unco light o't;

But mony a day was by himsel,

He was sae sairly frighted

That very night."

Then up gat fechtin' Jamie Fleck,

And he swore by his conscience,

That he could saw hemp-seed a peck;

For it was a' but nonsense.

The auld guidman raught down the pock,

And out a hanfu' gied him;

Syne bade him slip frae 'mang the folk,

Some time when nae ane see'd him,

And try't that night.

He marches through amang the stacks,

Though he was something sturtin;

The graip he for a harrow taks.

And haurls it at his curpin;

And every now and then he says,

"Hemp-seed, I saw thee,

And her that is to be my lass,

Come after me, and draw thee

As fast this night."

He whistled up Lord Lennox' march

To keep his courage cheery;

Although his hair began to arch,

He was say fley'd and eerie:

Till presently he hears a squeak,

And then a grane and gruntle;

He by his shouther gae a keek,

And tumbled wi' a wintle

Out-owre that night.

He roar'd a horrid murder-shout,

In dreadfu' desperation!

And young and auld came runnin' out

To hear the sad narration;

He swore 'twas hilchin Jean M'Craw,

Or crouchie Merran Humphie,

Till, stop! she trotted through them

And wha was it but grumphie

Asteer that night!

Meg fain wad to the barn hae gaen,

To win three wechts o' naething;

But for to meet the deil her lane,

She pat but little faith in:

She gies the herd a pickle nits,

And two red-cheekit apples,

To watch, while for the barn she sets,

In hopes to see Tam Kipples

That very nicht.

She turns the key wi cannie thraw,

And owre the threshold ventures;

But first on Sawnie gies a ca'

Syne bauldly in she enters:

A ratton rattled up the wa',

And she cried, Lord, preserve her!

And ran through midden-hole and a',

And pray'd wi' zeal and fervour,

Fu' fast that night;

They hoy't out Will wi' sair advice;

They hecht him some fine braw ane;

It chanced the stack he faddom'd thrice

Was timmer-propt for thrawin';

He taks a swirlie, auld moss-oak,

For some black grousome carlin;

And loot a winze, and drew a stroke,

Till skin in blypes cam haurlin'

Aff's nieves that night.

A wanton widow Leezie was,

As canty as a kittlin;

But, och! that night amang the shaws,

She got a fearfu' settlin'!

She through the whins, and by the cairn,

And owre the hill gaed scrievin,

Whare three lairds' lands met at a burn

To dip her left sark-sleeve in,

Was bent that night.

Whyles owre a linn the burnie plays,

As through the glen it wimpl't;

Whyles round a rocky scaur it strays;

Whyles in a wiel it dimpl't;

Whyles glitter'd to the nightly rays,

Wi' bickering, dancing dazzle;

Whyles cookit underneath the braes,

Below the spreading hazel,

Unseen that night.

Among the brackens, on the brae,

Between her and the moon,

The deil, or else an outler quey,

Gat up and gae a croon:

Poor Leezie's heart maist lap the hool!

Near lav'rock-height she jumpit;

but mist a fit, and in the pool

Out-owre the lugs she plumpit,

Wi' a plunge that night.

In order, on the clean hearth-stane,

The luggies three are ranged,

And every time great care is ta'en',

To see them duly changed:

Auld Uncle John, wha wedlock joys

Sin' Mar's year did desire,

Because he gat the toom dish thrice,

He heaved them on the fire

In wrath that night.

Wi' merry sangs, and friendly cracks,

I wat they didna weary;

And unco tales, and funny jokes,

Their sports were cheap and cheery;

Till butter'd so'ns, wi' fragrant lunt,

Set a' their gabs a-steerin';

Syne, wi' a social glass o' strunt,

They parted aff careerin'

Fu' blythe that night.

I wanted to take a wee moment to thank ALL OF YOU out there for helping us reach over 1, 000 topics at RT BURNS!!!!! Your support is amazing!!!!

Rosemarie you are the inspiration for it all and I love you for it and many thanks

Hugs

Lady Alexandria

Hi everyone,

Dr Gerard Carruthers from University of Glasgow Robert Burns Studies, (he was quoted in the Dylan newspaper interview) is kindly doing an interview with us on Robert Burns, if you have any questions we would appreciate it, if it's good he might put it in the glasgow university paper etc. Please send questions to Alex and myself.

The word is being spread, let's hope we can get more attention

for Janet and her script too.

David i hope you will come up with some good ones for us please.

Thank you to Pat for finding his email for me.

You can learn more about Dr Gerard here.

http://www.gla.ac.uk/scottishliterature/st...rardcarruthers/

No need to rush, a week or so will be fine.

Thank you again for all making RT so special.

Love Rose

DEAREST ROSE, THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO FOR OTHERS AND FOR RT BURNS, you are truly a special and rare lady

Hugs

Lady Alexandria

Edited by LADY ALEXANDRIA
  • 2 weeks later...

Firstly I wanted to say congrats and a huge thank you to Rosemarie for giving us all the opportunity to ask Dr. Carruthers some great Robert Burns Questions, she really goes above the call of duty for all of us.

The best news is that as per Felicity Madelin Marketing Manager: Homecoming Scotland 2009:

"We can certainly put it as a news article on our website once you’ve done the interview as long as there are some Homecoming questions included."

Once the interview has been completed a link will be posted for all to read and enjoy.

Have a great weekend all

Hugs

Lady Alexandria

• 2 weeks later...

All across the world, people are preparing for the Burns Celebrations that will herald the launch of Homecoming Scotland 2009 and we wanted you to be among the first to know.

Mark Robert Burns' 250th birthday by hosting your own Burns Supper and become part of the world's largest ever Burns Supper Celebration. Invite your friends, families and colleagues to join you by visiting our new World Famous Burns Supper website.

Add your own Burns supper celebration to our interactive World Map. You'll also find a step by step guide to hosting a Burns Supper, complete with menu ideas, poems, songs, great prizes and much more.....

Latest News

The line-up for the Celtic Connections , Scotland's premier winter music festival, was announced on Tuesday featuring a strong Burns influence throughout the programme

You can submit your nominations for the 2009 Robert Burns Humanitarian Award . This award is presented annually to a group or individual who has saved, improved or enriched the lives of others or society as a whole.

Get your haggis ordered now before they run out!

The Homecoming Scotland Team

Hugs

Lady Alexandria

OFFICIAL HOMECOMING SCOTLAND 2009 AMBASSADOR

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO A WONDERFUL FRIEND AND MEMBER OF RT BURNS

DJ FRANKIE - NOV. 5, 2008

DJ Frankie

Birthday Blessings

Instead of counting candles,

Or tallying the years,

Contemplate your blessings,

As your birthday nears.

Consider special people

Who love you, and who care,

And others who’ve enriched your life

Just by being there.

Think about the memories

Passing years can never mar,

Experiences great and small

That have made you who you are.

Another year is a happy gift,

So cut your cake, and say,

"Instead of counting birthdays,

I count blessings every day!" Each year your birthday reminds me

That I really want to say

I’m very glad I know you;

I think of you each day.

I hope you enjoy your birthday,

All the pleasures it has in store,

And because I appreciate you,

I hope you have many more!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DJ FRANKIE FROM ALL YOUR FRIENDS AT RT BURNS!!!!

Hugs Alexandria & Rosemarie

• 2 weeks later...

In Flanders Fields

By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)

Canadian Army

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow

Between the crosses row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

McCrae's "In Flanders Fields" remains to this day one of the most memorable war poems ever written. It is a lasting legacy of the terrible battle in the Ypres salient in the spring of 1915. Here is the story of the making of that poem:

Although he had been a doctor for years and had served in the South African War, it was impossible to get used to the suffering, the screams, and the blood here, and Major John McCrae had seen and heard enough in his dressing station to last him a lifetime.

As a surgeon attached to the 1st Field Artillery Brigade, Major McCrae, who had joined the McGill faculty in 1900 after graduating from the University of Toronto, had spent seventeen days treating injured men -- Canadians, British, Indians, French, and Germans -- in the Ypres salient.

It had been an ordeal that he had hardly thought possible. McCrae later wrote of it:

"I wish I could embody on paper some of the varied sensations of that seventeen days... Seventeen days of Hades! At the end of the first day if anyone had told us we had to spend seventeen days there, we would have folded our hands and said it could not have been done."

One death particularly affected McCrae. A young friend and former student, Lieut. Alexis Helmer of Ottawa, had been killed by a shell burst on 2 May 1915. Lieutenant Helmer was buried later that day in the little cemetery outside McCrae's dressing station, and McCrae had performed the funeral ceremony in the absence of the chaplain.

The next day, sitting on the back of an ambulance parked near the dressing station beside the Canal de l'Yser, just a few hundred yards north of Ypres, McCrae vented his anguish by composing a poem. The major was no stranger to writing, having authored several medical texts besides dabbling in poetry.

In the nearby cemetery, McCrae could see the wild poppies that sprang up in the ditches in that part of Europe, and he spent twenty minutes of precious rest time scribbling fifteen lines of verse in a notebook.

A young soldier watched him write it. Cyril Allinson, a twenty-two year old sergeant-major, was delivering mail that day when he spotted McCrae. The major looked up as Allinson approached, then went on writing while the sergeant-major stood there quietly. "His face was very tired but calm as we wrote," Allinson recalled. "He looked around from time to time, his eyes straying to Helmer's grave."

When McCrae finished five minutes later, he took his mail from Allinson and, without saying a word, handed his pad to the young NCO. Allinson was moved by what he read:

"The poem was exactly an exact description of the scene in front of us both. He used the word blow in that line because the poppies actually were being blown that morning by a gentle east wind. It never occurred to me at that time that it would ever be published. It seemed to me just an exact description of the scene."

In fact, it was very nearly not published. Dissatisfied with it, McCrae tossed the poem away, but a fellow officer retrieved it and sent it to newspapers in England. The Spectator, in London, rejected it, but Punch published it on 8 December 1915.

LEST WE FORGET - From Team Burns

Ladies,

David's new CD is out!

You can find it here:

http://www.robertburns.plus.com/CD.htm

It's called /The Greatest Love Poems in the World/

and is a collection of Robert Burns' romantic, passionate and poignant

poems.

It is absolutely wonderful.

Thanks Peigi!!!

Lady Alexandria

• 2 weeks later...

Robert Burns Grove in the Highlands of Scotland

I'm pleased to announce the formation of a Robert Burns Grove

in the Highlands of Scotlandin honour of the 250th anniversary of Robert Burns' birth.

The grove, sponsored by Trees for Life, will be planted in the region

of the Highlands west of Loch Ness and will be part of Trees for Life's campaign

to bring back the Great Caledonian Forest of the Scottish Highlands.

Please visit the Grove's page and read about Burns' passion for nature

as expressed in his poems and songs in an introduction by David Sibbald.

You can read more about Trees for Life's efforts by going

here.

You can see Burns' page and contribute to the Robert Burns Grove by going here.

Every £10 or $5 you donate will enable the volunteers at Trees for Life to grow from seed a Scots pine, birch, rowan or hazel.

http://www.treesforlife.org.uk/groves/robert_burns.html

Hugs

Alexandria & Rosemarie

PEIGI'S RED,RED, ROSE VIDEO - Simply Brilliant!!!!

Hi Ladies,

The Red, Red Rose video I made for David

using his new CD is now up

enjoy!

Peigi

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Listen To The Trybe Live And Get Into A St. Andrews Day Party Mood

Hi RT Clan,

Here is an offer you can't refuse from The Trybe, to get you into the party mood for St. Andrews Day.

St Andrews Day

As St Andrew's Day approaches the Trybe would like to invite you to celebrate with them. We've put up a concert set onto our music player which you can download. Invite your friends around, put the live set on. Open a few bottles and let those Pictish spirits free!!

Happy St Andrew's Day from your Pictish brothers,

The Trybe

Here is a link to The Trybe's myspace page where you can listen to the music from The Trybe playing live in 5 parts. We love it, thank you guys.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cf...2c-5f5e8e07eccc

Rose and Alexandria

We at Homecoming Scotland very busy here putting together our new Homecoming Scotland event guide which will feature over 200 events across Scotland and across the year. We’ve also just launched our new Homecoming Scotland TV ad.

You can watch it at

www.homecomingscotland2009.com/news/Caledonia.html

Best wishes,

Felicity

Felicity Madelin

Marketing Manager: Homecoming Scotland 2009

EventScotland

Homecoming Scotland 2009: A celebratory programme of events across Scotland from 25th January to 30th November 2009. Spread the word and join our celebrations in 2009.

Find out more at www.homecomingscotland2009.com

Watch our new TV ad at: www.homecomingscotland2009.com/news/Caledonia.html

For more information on EventScotland, our funding programmes and the latest event news please visit www.EventScotland.org

Hugs

Alexandria & Rosemarie

Hi RT Clan,

Please checkout this great blog by our Honorary Member Eddi Reader and take

a look at the gorgeous video below. Lovely to see all the Scottish people getting

together to celebrate The Homecoming and Robert Burns 250th Anniversary.

Eddi’s celebrating Homecoming Year

Eddi, Sean Connery, Lulu, Brian Cox and Amy MacDonald are just a few of the Scottish stars appearing in the new television advert encouraging Scotland's people to take part in next year's Homecoming celebrations.

As well as stars of song and screen, sporting heroes including Sam Torrance and Chris Hoy are also adding their voices to the campaign.

First Minister Alex Salmond launched the advert today at a special screening in Edinburgh's Filmhouse, where he was joined by Eddi, Sandi Thom, and Dougie MacLean whose rousing anthem is showcased in the advert.

The advert is designed to encourage people living in Scotland to invite friends and family from all over the world to "come home" to enjoy more than 200 celebratory events.

Created by VisitScotland and EventScotland, the advert was shot in various locations around Scotland including Speyside, Orkney, Dumfries and Glencoe and depicts Scottish stars each singing a line from Dougie MacLean's moving song 'Caledonia'. It will be broadcast across Scotland from today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pszg...player_embedded

In the advert, Eddi appears in front of the Robert Burns Statue in Dumfries.

On Sunday 18 January, Eddi will be joined by the Orchestra of Scottish Opera at the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall to perform a very special concert commemorating the 250th anniversary of Burns' birth.

Roll on 2009.

Rose and Alexandria

Please Consider these wonderful holiday gift ideas - supporting some wonderful Scottish / Robert Burns Charities

Join us in planting a Grove of native trees in honour of Robert Burns and the 250th anniversary of his birth in 2009 - acknowledging his love of and connection to the land he celebrated through poetry and song. This is just in time for the Holiday Season and what a great gift to give for any Robert Burns fan - the gift of life!!!

TREES FOR LIFE - we are involved in the formation of a special ROBERT BURNS GROVE, HERE IS THE LINK:

http://www.treesforlife.org.uk/groves/robert_burns.html

ROBERT BURNS COMMEMORATIVE MUG

Designed by and available only from Mither Tongue, our exclusive Fundraising Commemorative Keepsake Mug with hand-crafted gift tag designed by you has been created to celebrate the 250th anniversary of the birth of Robert Burns in 2009.

OUR COMMITMENT

To donate £1 profit from the sale of each mug towards your choice of one of the following:

(a) A "Burns an Bairns an Aa That" Commemorative Sculpture in our home town of Keith (North-east Scotland) to honour our poet, delight our visitors, elevate our langauage, highlight its importance in education and create a legacy for future generations.

(b) The National Trust for Scotland Robert Burns Birthplace £21 Million Museum Project

The largest ever undertaken, involving the creation of a new world-class Robert Burns Birthplace Museum in Alloway, major re-interpretation of Burns' Cottage, exciting new education facilities, enhancement of the Burns Monument, Brig o Doon and Auld Kirk (in partnership with Rotten Tomatoes Burns Club). ****** This is our group******

Here is the link:

http://www.mithertongue.com/shop.php?view=...amp;product=192

Hugs

Alexandria & Rosemarie

Here is some great news from our Honorary Member Mike Ogletree, his wonderful Robert

Burns CD is now available for purchase and of course we will all help him as much as we can, and our congratulations to Mike.

Great news!!!! My CD has finally arrived . It is available for purchase or mp3 download at the CD Baby web site -

http://cdbaby. com/cd/rbmo - is the address.

It sounds and looks great. I also have a code for a "buy it now" button which can be copied and pasted into any web site to link directly to my page on CD Baby

I am so excited. It is also on sale at a few stores here in New York.

So, phase 1 is complete. I have the CD.

Next is Phase 2 - marketing and promoting it.

This is where anyone who wants to get involved comes in. I can also send some copies of the CD and promotional material if you, or anyone you know, would like to have some to sell and use for promotion in your area. But the idea is to get the word out on as many channels of communication as possible and create a huge grass roots movement by encouraging word of mouth promotion amongst everyone who loves Burns and is interested in getting more people aware of his work. This means selling the CD, encouraging people to download it, sending it to Radio Stations, TV stations, Newspapers, any media outlet that will promote and talk about it. And as follow up I will be organizing a tour to go to areas where interest has grown sufficient to warrant a promotional visit giving interviews, doing concerts etc. etc. And of course if any of you guys wish to be ambassadors for the CD, as experts on Burns or simply Burns enthusiasts, you can do interviews yourself promoting Burns and his music using the CD as a key to get you in the door and talk about Burns and next years festivities for Homecoming Scotland.

In the meantime in New York as well as doing my own thing to get the word out on as many lines of communication as I can and practicing and organizing gigs, I am talking to some people from an online web-site called Airplay Direct about working together to get a sponsorship deal to get lots of independent Scottish musicians involved and sponsor a visit to Scotland next year to participate in The Festivities. It's actually very exciting and holds a lot of promise. A lot of hard work but a lot of fun to be had.

Mike

Here is a reminder of Mike's Red Red Rose video on youtube and Mike's myspace link where you can hear more of his unique Robert Burns Songs and he is also on facebook too.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ceAXFRT3vZo

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cf...endID=109744396

Hugs

Alexandria & Rosemarie

The Homecoming Scotland TV Commercial

VisitScotland launched its Homecoming Scotland TV commercial, starring celebrities such as Sean Connery, Lulu and Sam Torrance, on St. Andrew's Day, 30th of November. We'd like to give our international audiences a chance to see this inspiring advert as well. Dougie MacLean's classic 'Caledonia' was the obvious song of choice, not just because of the lyrics, but also because it's a well-loved anthem for many Scots at home and abroad.

Watch the Commercial

View 60 second ad featuring: Amy Macdonald - singer, Chris Hoy - triple Olympic gold medal winner, Brian Cox - actor, Sam Torrance - golfer, Eddi Reader - singer, Thom Evans and Kelly Brown - rugby players, Sandi Thom - singer, Sean Connery - actor, and Lulu - singer, all of whom are proud to be "coming home" in 2009.

About the Advertisement:

VisitScotland launched its Homecoming Scotland TV commercial, starring celebrities such as Sean Connery, Lulu and Sam Torrance, on St. Andrew's Day, 30th of November. Dougie MacLean's classic 'Caledonia' was the obvious song of choice, not just because of the lyrics, but also because it's a well-loved anthem for many Scots at home and abroad.

Singer Amy Macdonald introduces the advert singing in front of the backdrop of majestic Glen Coe and Buachaille Etive Mor.

Triple Olympic medal winner Chris Hoy sings in front of the Glasgow Science Centre, in recognition of the Great Minds and Innovators of Scotland that will be celebrated throughout 2009.

Actor Brian Cox stands in front of the mystical standing stones that make up the Ring of Brodgar on Orkney, depicting the ancestry and culture strand of the Homecoming Scotland celebrations.

Golfer Sam Torrance sings in front of the 10th green at the Championship Golf Course at Turnberry, overlooking Ailsa Craig in the outer Firth of Clyde.

Singer Eddi Reader stands in front of the classic Burns statue in Dumfries – the 250th anniversary of the birth of Scotland’s national Poet, Robert Burns, being the inspiration for this year of Homecoming.

Glasgow Warriors rugby players Thom Evans and Kelly Brown sing in front of the Strathisla Distillery in Keith, in recognition that May is whisky month during the Homecoming celebrations.

Singer Sandi Thom sings in front of the shores of Far Beach in Sutherland in the far north of Scotland.

Actor Sean Connery sings in front of Edinburgh Castle.

Singer Lulu sings in front of Castle Stalker in Argyll.

A bit about Dougie Maclean and the inspiration behind the track as well as the lyrics.

http://www.cometoscotland.com/television_advertise166.html

Hugs

Alexandria

Hi RT Clan,

Here is a blog from Mike Ogletree with an invitation to join us on his new Facebook Mike Ogletree/Robert Burns Group, so if you are registered there we would love to hear from you.

The Robert Burns and Mike Ogletree Group on Facebook

Hello and welcome

This is an invitation to visit the Robert Burns and Mike Ogletree Group page on Facebook at http://www. facebook. com/topic. php?topic=6054&uid=39952812117/group. php?gid=39952812117

which has been created to provide a platform and an opportunity for creative artistic input from all, with the focus on Burns work and how his words are as relevant today as they were when he first spoke them.

As an example from my latest CD "The Kilmarnock Edition", Burns's poem Man Was Made To Mourn contains many simple truths that often get overlooked due to man's fascination with speed and the quick thrill. Yet the poem has as much bearing on current events as it did in the late 18th century when it was originally written. The phrase "Man's inhumanity to man..." while powerful and evocative in itself, takes on a whole new meaning when read in context with the rest of the words in that line - "Mans inhumanity to man makes countless thousands mourn". I use this line as the refrain in my version of the song, and think of it as the clarion call of the entire poem, an invocation for man to realize that we need honest human healing which will only occur through humane means and that violence only begets violence and more suffering.

I want to take this whole side of Burns, Burns the dreamer of dreams for a culture, Burns the visionary and invite artistic contribution inspired by his work which shows how his legacy endures and lives on in the hearts and minds of men. There are already hundreds of us doing just that so we are not lacking for input. It could be music, painting, photography, sculpture, dancing, video, acting, movies, theater, writing, blogging, poetry, recital, any "Art" but let's make it contemporary and a bit cutting edge. Let's bring Burns into the 21st century with style.

I'd love this group to be a sort of umbrella activity that covers all artistic and creative endeavor. A place for Burns enthusiasts to meet and share, communicate, co-create and learn and grow together. Continue his legacy. Any person, inspired by Burns and his work can create and contribute. Look at the many facets of the man and his life for inspiration, Burns the Poet, Burns the Romantic, Burns the Rebel, Burns - Voice of the oppressed, Burns the Prophet, Burns the Ploughman, Burns the traveller, Burns the Entertainer and on and on. We can organize contests and events in different categories to attract people's interest and get involved. And with the involvement of a sponsor who shares the enthusiasm for all things Burns we can tie the whole thing into the celebrations in Scotland next year with the goal of attending the festivities in Summer 2009.

Next year, 2009, marks the 250th anniversary of Burns's birth and in Scotland there will be a year of activities to honor and celebrate the man and his legacy under the banner of Homecoming Scotland. Contributions to this group and active involvement will allow each of us to participate online in one of the biggest global events of 2009, Homecoming Scotland.

So, let's just do it. It'll be fun, exciting and educational. I eagerly await your response and input. The best type of publicity by the way is "word of mouth" people talking to each other about something they like and encouraging others to participate. We can create a grass roots movement here which builds an enormous community of artists, dedicated to the Scottish Bard, Robert Burns, forwarding his message through our art in ways which honor and celebrate his legacy.

Join in, participate and educate.

Love, Mike

We just love that CD back cover picture of Robert Burns and Mike.

Rose and Alexandria