Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Lady Yvonne

Walk of Fame

:wave: I was reading a rundown of those that are getting their stars on the Walk of Fame this morning.

Has anyone thought of a star for Gerry. I have no idea of how difficult it would be to get one for him. I only know that he deserves one and that he has more talent in his little finger than some of those getting theirs.

I am not anywhere near California or near anyone in the know of how this is done. I only know that with the work Gerry has put out there, the sacrifice he had made in doing some of his pictures, and with "300" bringing in the big money and his fan base growing like wildfire, he certainly deserves to have his talent honored.

How can this be done? What would it take? We have GAL power and it seems like the GALS might have, in some ways, connections to those that are in the know.

Please, you who read this posting, consider how wonderful it would be to see him getting HIS star and know that we had some part in it. Gerry, "Prepare for Glory." If not now, someday. I hope it is not too far off.

I wish for each one of you an answered prayer, a peaceful day and lots of love. :inlove:

God Bless,

Lady Yvonne <><

I think that someone in the Entertainment field has to put their name up for getting one..like we couldn't do it, it has to be one of his peers in the industry.

Not sure how to go about this at all Lady Yvonne but I bet it will be hard to get Gerry's name on one!

Long time country music star "Vince Gill" still doesn't have one but his wife Amy Grant does. :confused:

I think they have to be nominated and voted in, anyone can nominate one, even fans...but it costs about $15, 000 to get the star, and then they have to pay a maintenance fee too. But I could be mistaken.

Edited by moonglow

I think we should look into this possibility. Of course we would have to get Gerrys approval on this idea . $15,000 is a lot of money for something like this and maybe Gerry would rather have it go to a favorite charity instead. I think this should be tossed up for discussion. What are other fans ideas? I am game to donate to whatever the choice would be. Would it be for Gerrys' satisfaction or ours?

I found this info on how to get a star:

Criteria for Getting a Star on the Walk of Fame

The criteria for getting a star on the Walk of Fame are fairly simple. For consideration, a nominee must:

1. Have a record of professional achievement within the nominated field.

2. Have worked in the entertainment industry for a minimum of five years.

3. Have made contributions to the community, typically through charitable activities.

The recipient must also agree to attend the dedication ceremony. In addition, a sponsorship fee of $25,000 must be paid. Non-human and fictional characters are also eligible for stars on the Walk of Fame. Kermit the Frog, Big Bird, Rin Tin Tin and Lassie all have stars.

Process for Getting a Star on the Walk of Fame

Nominations for getting a star on the Walk of Fame are announced in the entertainment trades. The nominations must be submitted by May 31 to the Walk of Fame Committee, which is division of the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce. Although the deadline is May 31, applications are accepted year round.

Sponsors of the nominees must fill out a very simple nomination form listing the nominee's qualifications for inclusion in the Walk of Fame. Chances are your very first job application was more complicated than this form, which you can download in PDF format HERE. Sponsors can also submit non-returnable samples of the nominee's work.

The committee receives a few hundred nominations a year and out of these typically chooses a couple dozen inductees. Once the Walk of Fame Committee has selected a nominee, the celebrity must be approved by the Board of Directors for the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, the Los Angeles City Board of Public Works and finally the Los Angeles City Council.

Nice job, Jenn!!

Guest greyeyegoddess

I think we should wait until Gerry starts winning those big awards. Many times after an Acadamy award, the name of the actor goes up for nominations, quite easily.

The price has gone up in 5 years. It was $15,000.00 when the fans got one for Guy Williams.

I feel the same way about the funds-it will be better use for others, but it would be an honor to have a star on the walk, though.

~alice

:music:

Wouldn't it be good to get the ball rolling though since the process takes a while and it costs $25,000.00? I wonder if you could run it past his assistant or manager and see how they feel about it. :confused: Somebody write a letter stating what we, you, whoever is interested in nominating Gerry and see how it goes. Just a suggestion. :D

25,000 is a lot of money, I think once he gains a little more recognition, he'll be nominated on his own...it won't hurt to wait though.

Well... at least we could sent it... The payment is only due if it is accepted, right? That way is more PR than anything else... And that can't never be enough.

It can only backfire if he is accepted :dance:

I've been involved in the effort to get Michael Hutchence and INXS stars on the Walk of Fame, so I might be able to offer some insight.

First, the application is typically made by someone within the business, such as an agent, manager, production company, etc. There are instances when fans have sent in the application, though. I think it is easier to get one when it is done by a production company. They will do this, sometimes, as a way to get publicity for a specific project. Either way, you don't pay for the star until it is awarded, and usually payment is made by the production company or agency sponsoring the star.

I also think that the application, once submitted, is automatically resubmitted the next year. I'm not sure how long the application is resubmitted. There may be a limit and then a new application would be needed. The application process should be explained at the website for the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce.

I think that Gerry certainly meets the citeria, and is deserving. Maybe someone could contact his manager to discuss this, to find out if this is something Gerry would want, or if an application has already been submitted.

I agree...I believe Gerry is deserving. Sometimes I wonder about the people who do have stars. I think "WHAT THE???"

Criteria for Getting a Star on the Walk of Fame

The criteria for getting a star on the Walk of Fame are fairly simple. For consideration, a nominee must:

1. Have a record of professional achievement within the nominated field.

2. Have worked in the entertainment industry for a minimum of five years.

3. Have made contributions to the community, typically through charitable activities.

Wow. After reading all of this one wonders how the likes of Ryan Seacrest has a star. :confused:

I can not think of a better way to honor Gerry then a star on the Walk of Fame. He deserves it and if there were some way we could all try and get him to get one I think we should. This is a real tribute to him and a real honor. Look at the ones on there that really are not good actors and there are some I would not give you 2 cents for being on there. But he does deserve one in my eyes. Betts

This is a great idea but I think even though he is better known now after 300.... people still don't know who he is! I know I'm sick of people saying Gerard who?? :tantrum: So to get his name on a walk of Fame could be a reeeeeal challenge.....but then again we are Gals aren't we??

:claphands: Fran

Edited by ladyfran

I can not think of a better way to honor Gerry then a star on the Walk of Fame. He deserves it and if there were some way we could all try and get him to get one I think we should. This is a real tribute to him and a real honor. Look at the ones on there that really are not good actors and there are some I would not give you 2 cents for being on there. But he does deserve one in my eyes. Betts

Exactly my sentiment... You should not be thinking why, but why not? *catchy hem! I just thought of it and had to write instantly* :lol:

:igotgals:

:D CQ

^^^ I agreed with the both of you above Betts

We can hardly collect enough money to keep the site up and running, how are we gonna raise $25K?!

It's fun to ponder and banter about, but "talk is cheap."

Personally speaking, if we're able to collect that kind of cash, I'd rather see it go to our gerrity efforts. $25k for cancer research and the Scottish Youth Theater will effect the greater good a lot longer and in much better ways than a "celebrity" star... but that's just me...

Well, it would be fun and like many said... there're worse star names in that Walk...

You're right. That money could be given for plenty of charities... but the Walk of fame is by itself a selfish act, because is the acknowledgment of someone career and the city's appreciation of a certain actor. So it has nothing to do with charity.

And other idea that occurs to me, is that, this should be a project to be taken in prospect and all GB fans should participate... Not only Gals.

If Gals is the one to start the "movement" all the better, because someday sooner, it will be started.

Hugs

CQ

I’d like to weigh in on this subject.

While I will not pretend to know the inner workings of Mr. Butler, I can say how I would feel if I were in a similar position. I would want to be at the pinnacle of my career and not necessarily on my way up when I received a Star.

We all KNOW Gerry is very talented and I believe that someday Gerry will indeed be awarded this coveted honor because he will have EARNED it – outright. In Hollywood, it’s all about paying your dues.

I agree with the other posters regarding the cost of such an award and I, too, believe it could be used for far more philanthropic endeavors. I wonder how Gerry would feel about his fans giving their hard earned money for something which is flattering, but well, frivolous.

For me, I would rather see Gerry win an Oscar for his role as Burns than get a Star, though his chances of getting a Star goes WAY up should (when) he win(s) an Oscar.

I would agree, however, that should this go forward, it should be an ALL GERRY FANS undertaking and not a site specific one. It’s all about being inclusive, right?

I don’t mean to put a damper on this idea, because for all great things to take flight, they must first start with a dream!

:hugs:

Dr. Em

:wave: Well, since I started this whole conversation about Gerry having a star on the Walk of Fame, I would like to explain my views and why I suggested it.

First of all, I know that everyone has their own opinion and I am sorry if I step on any toes. This is my opinion and I do have my reasons. So, here goes.

All I read on line is how Gerry is left out of this or he should be in that. We should do something about it, vote, vote, vote. So, I vote and I read and I think and I remember things he has said in his interviews. We should want to honor him for his compassionate heart and God-given talent that he so graciously shares with us. There is none better than he is. :heat: None works harder or gives more of himself than Gerry. Even those that work with him agree on this. This is honorable is it not?

I read in one of his interviews long ago how he never wanted to be forgotten. Take a look at some of the names on the Walk of Fame. They have been dead for years but, there is their name and sometimes those that have never known of them in life look them up after seeing their names on the Walk of Fame and find their movies to watch. As far as I know, none of them have ever come close to Gerry Butler in their acting. Some of the ones who are getting their stars put down couldn't act their way out of a paper bag. :confused: This ticks me off. :tantrum: This is unfair, but what is fair in this world? He has paid his dues. What is selfish about wanting to do something for him? My gosh, they even have cartoon characters on there.

We are always hearing about what we want to do for Gerry and what we want for Gerry, what we want from Gerry, what movies we want him to make, what parts he should play. What about the man. :confused: He is only human. He cannot do it all. He cannot please all. The man works himself nearly to death to please and gives us more than we deserve. What could be more fitting than this gift from his fans. :inlove: Not just from GALS, but from all his fans. That means anyone who wants to contribute to paying for his star. Any of his fan clubs or just plain fans, new and old. This is honoring him and his talent. :kisswink:

As far as asking him for permission, do you ask for permission when giving a gift. A gift comes from the heart and is given because of love and appreciation. This is a gift for him and him alone from his fans. It is our way of saying "Thank You," for all you have given us. Do we really need permission? I guess we might if he is getting one and has to be there. He will know of it long before it is ordered or put down. He can stop it if he chooses.

As for the money to pay for it, I don't think there will be a problem. Give the people what they want and believe in it and it will come. There are many who will drive 2,000 miles to see his movies, go to the same movie fifteen times and buy raffle tickets for anything with his name on it. His fan base is exploding. This "300" movie is the first of its kind and Gerry is and will always be King Leonidas. He is a star. "300" is still bringing in money like no other. Who knows what the final total will be. We do not have a deadline in which to have the money. We could raise the money first, by that time, he may have already won an Academy Award. As far as I can see he meets all of the criteria of having his star put on the Walk of Fame. He just needs a sponser and someone to put up his name for this honor. Look at the money he has brought Warner Brothers, Zack and the others. He is a money maker. Give him a role and magical things happen. This is just good, smart business.

I would rather have him see it, than put it down for him after he is gone, should, God forbid something should happen to him. I would love to see it before I am gone, wouldn't you?

As for his children's charities, he does all kinds of charities. He can always raise money and has for his charities. He knows more important and influencial people now than ever before. He travels in different circles. He travels the world. He can come inside a fancy party instead of being invited to the after-party. Heck! He is the party. At least the one we would like to go to. He is one who has it all and has been blessed. He also has a plan. This man has a brilliant mind along with his talent. Do we know how far he can go? Yes, as far as he wants.

Who is Gerard James Butler?? Does any one of us really know? All we know is that he has something about him that draws us in and drives us nuts trying to figure him out. :bonk: He is one of a kind. A beautiful human being with a little boy giggle and a wee wicked sense of humor. He is full of himself and really does not realize just how talented he is. He lives his own life on his own terms. Good for him! :claphands: Don't we all wish we all could find the strength to do this?

One of a kind. :tasty: This is how I see Mr. Butler. These are my reasons for wanting him to have something that he would really appreciate and that would finally let him know just how much he is appreciated and loved.

I do not want to debate, argue or make anyone mad. I am only expressing my own feelings of the joy he has given to me and many, many others I have talked with. He will never know the flood of good things that he is responsible for. The friendships that will last a lifetime, the parties held by women who come together, have supper and watch and talk about one of his movies. The ideas for good that comes from just a hit or suggestion from one of his interviews.

All of these things I have described are from my own heart. Some may disagree with everything I have written. That's okay with me. Some may agree with me. That would be okay too.

He may never get his star. That's okay with me also It would make me sad but I could accept it, but, one thing we all agree on is that he is something else. There is not another like him and aren't we glad? :heat:

Blessings, Strength and Honor,

But, Most of All Love From My

Heart to Yours,

Lady Yvonne <><

Guest greyeyegoddess

Dr. Em,

I didn't feel that you put a damper on this idea at all. I think you were just saying what many of us have been saying...

We'd love to see Gerry get a star...which is what most of us feel. How it happens...that's to see.

Lady Yvonne, it is an idea that has been going through fans minds since they first saw Gerry. It's always interesting to see how fans feel about this. Maybe it can be discussed again later. I would definitely love to see a star for someone who really deserves it, like Gerry. And I think you have a lot of good reasons, although I don't know how Gerry feels.

I would still like to wait, for Gerry's own star to rise. More fans could mean more contributors.

~alice

:music:

Yvonne ~

I think you make an extremely passionate and beautiful plea and I agree with most of what you have said! My only thought was to wait to present this to the board, after Gerry's management gives the go ahead, at such time that Gerry would be a shoe-in for this honor.

I do believe, with all his fans worldwide, raising the funds wouldn't be too terrible, but there are also other venues in which to get sponsorship for something of such a large amount.

Again, Yvonne, I admire your spunk, your drive and your loyalty to a great actor and man.

:hugs:

Dr. Em

I have no problem with supporting the idea of Gerry getting a star. But I must interject a brief bit of realism in here. The fans of Hugh Jackman have had a campaign going to raise the funds to get him a star on the Walk of Fame and it has been an ongoing effort for a very long time (longer than many of us have even known who Gerry is). Hugh is known as a great guy, he is always sweet with his fans, and he is a much more well-known name at this point in time. And yet over the years that the campaign has been going for him to get his star it doesn't appear that they've gotten the funds they would need. NOW maybe most fans are waiting for the nomination to be accepted before coughing up a contribution - maybe it is a case of putting the cart before the horse in asking for money to pay for the star before the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce has accepted the nomination. I really don't know. Also, their effort has the support of Mr. Jackman's management. In the years since the campaign started the cost of the star went from $15,000 to $25,000 so by the time the nomination is accepted and the star is awarded you don't know what the cost might be.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but it would be a very tall mountain to climb at this point in time, and I'm not sure there are enough people with enough money to support it to the ultimate conclusion just yet. I do believe it will happen someday. But hey, it might not hurt to get the nomination in there - if it takes several years to get accepted by the time it is Gerry will be known far and wide!!