Gerard Butler GALS

I Finally Saw OMK!!!! (thank you Aimee!)

I saw this movie for the first time last night! Can you believe it, I've been a Gerry fan for almost 3 years, and had never seen One More Kiss. I've heard a lot about it; from criticisms about the film itself, to dislike of the 3 main characters, to people who think the leading lady isn't pretty enough.

Wow, I had a very strong reaction to this movie! First of all, it was wonderful to see that even in his early work, Gerry's talent and beauty were apparent. I love the quiet moments of reflection he was given in this film, and his inner intelligence really broke the surface here and there.

Of the 3 main characters the only one I did not like was Charlotte. To me, there was just something artificial about her, and I always felt that her emotions and responses were forced. I am not speaking of the actress playing her, but of the character herself. Charlotte always felt fake to me, thereby lending a fake happiness to the couple of Charlotte and Sam. From the very first, I sensed something unreal about their relationship, and it made me uncomfortable. I never felt intimacy between them, even when they kissed and held each other. One got the sense that their lives together were merely play acting, and simmering beneath the surface, were all sorts of disappointments and frustrations, especially on Charlotte's part.

I did not like Sarah at all at first. She really was an unlikable character who seemed insensitive and selfish, but I like how her character gradually warmed up and became more human, and her wry sense of humor was very different for a female leading role. There was nothing precious about the woman, she was hard and uncompromising, and yet bit by bit as she began to face her death, she thawed out. I disagree that she is not pretty enough. Personally, I think she's beautiful, but in a non Hollywood kind of way. She has very striking features, which depending on which angle they shot her from, she could be either gorgeous or plain. I thought that was a very bold way to present a leading woman. By the end of the film, I really liked Sarah and understood the difficult journey she had been on. I loved the way she interacted with Jude, and through that friendship, we did get to view another angle of her complex nature. I also loved the way she and her father found their way back together, and that despite a rocky relationship, their love for each other was revived.

The character of Frank was another conflicted soul in pain, and I loved the unfolding of his story. I also love the fact that the movie did not give you all the answers where Frank was concerned... he was a mystery in many ways, and the actor did a fabulous job of reserving within his eyes and face, Frank's complicated back story. I really came to care for this man.

Sam's character was very interesting to me, because he is not a completely likable guy, but I liked him anyway. I think he starts out with good intentions, and again, I am of the opinion that Sam and Charlotte are not as happy together as they appear, so when Sarah comes back on the scene, she brings to the surface, the problems hiding beneath Sam and Charlotte's phony happiness. Sam is drawn back to Sarah, and Charlotte's escalating jealousy only pushes him closer.

I do understand his motives, and I love his exuberance. I love the fact that he is a passionate guy, who reconnects with a passion for this woman Sarah, that never really left him, as evidenced by the photos he has kept of her for years. The whole restaurant blow-up was difficult to watch, but it just illustrated the fact that Sam and Charlotte had gone for years, not dealing with destructive issues in their marriage. One gets the sense that they would of wound up separating eventually, even had Sarah not come back.

I hated how Sam went back to his wife after Sarah's death. This showed his immaturity and insecurity, and that was really the only moment in the film where I did not like him. The idea that he thought he could just go back to his wife and pick up the marriage, made you see that in many ways, this guy just doesn't have a clue about what he wants or needs. I thought Gerry's performance was very good, he was charming and sexy in a naive sort of way, with some nice reflective moments caught by the camera. I think if he were to play that same role again now, he would give Sam a darker dimension, which would have helped the character feel more real. As Gerry played him back then, Sam was just too sweet, even when he was being a jerk. Gerry has certainly come a long way since then, in the use of his voice and delivering dialogue.

The film as a whole was beautifully shot. I love the use of the color red, and how it sort of sizzled among the darker gloomier tones of the attic, and that old cottage. There were some gorgeous face shots of Sarah, and really, some innovative and beautiful footage throughout the film.

I think the film suffers from poor editing, and at times it looked like a travel log. Why so many cut away shots of landscapes? There was definitely a choppiness to how the film was put together, and if it was intentional, to me it ruined the emotional flow of the film. I could see a lot of talent where the director is concerned, and I do hope he learned from directing that piece.

I loved the music and the atmosphere it lent to the film, and really, overall, I thought it was a very beautiful and touching movie. It was romantic and emotional without suffering from too much preciousness.

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

Swannie,

I'm glad you finally got to watch it!!

I'm not sure that Sam at the end thought he was going back to Charlotte and his marriage....he still lived there but he didn't seem real surprised to see the suitcases at the bottom of the stairs....did he put them there before the funeral...or did Charlotte pack them? Are they his or hers?

I agree....Sam had never truly gotten over Sarah. I think Gerry's acting at the hospital is so real...I can't tell you how many times I've watched this movie and every time I cry when I look into his eyes in that part.Posted Image

Anyway, like I said I'm glad you finally got to see it....I've been waiting quite a while to hear your take on it! :claphands:Posted Image

hugs,

Sue

You are so happy!!!

I'm glad you liked it.

For me, OMK..is, it's one of those movies where I wasn't thrilled with any of the characters at all..but that's just me.

Swannie,

I'm glad you finally got to watch it!!

I'm not sure that Sam at the end thought he was going back to Charlotte and his marriage....he still lived there but he didn't seem real surprised to see the suitcases at the bottom of the stairs....did he put them there before the funeral...or did Charlotte pack them? Are they his or hers?

I agree....Sam had never truly gotten over Sarah. I think Gerry's acting at the hospital is so real...I can't tell you how many times I've watched this movie and every time I cry when I look into his eyes in that part.Posted Image

Anyway, like I said I'm glad you finally got to see it....I've been waiting quite a while to hear your take on it! :claphands:Posted Image

hugs,

Sue

My take was, Charlotte had packed those suitcase, cuz he just stands there looking at them. And then the way he sits down on the staircase seems to indicate that he is getting Charlotte's message. "It's over, you don't live here anymore." At least that's how I saw it.

Yes Gerry's acting in the hospital was genuinely heartbreaking. He actually has several fine moments in this film, and I really hope it's one he's proud of.

I'm sure I'll watch it again.

Swannie

Guest greyeyegoddess

I don't know if you want to search for the discussion we had here way back when, about the movie.

I find it quite interesting that this is probably one of the most discussed movies that Gerry has made. There's just a ton of feelings and loopholes and what ifs.

~alice

:music:

I hate this film.

I own two copies of it...and I hate it. I hated it so much that I adapted it into a stage version and directed it for my theatre degree capstone project.

Okay, this doesn't seem to make sense, I know... it's not the usual way one hates a film, usual things being perhaps poor plot, bad acting, stupid dialogue, characters you don't care about, etc.

Nope, none of the usual reasons. Because I have a very passionate frustration with this film. I hate that it thinks it's getting across one message, but that it's actually presenting another wholly and completely. Yet it's still stubborningly trying to convince its audience of something that it is NOT supporting.

I could rant about this extensively...but I'd have to pull out my director's book. Maybe another time.

~Mel

I enjoyed the movie. I too have it on dvd. But while I like it, I think there are some things that could have been done better, or different.

I also didn't get the impression he was going to go back to his wife. My interpretation of the ending was that he went back to the house after she already left him, but I could be wrong. Guess I'll just have to watch it again. :D Gee shucks. :)

Wow! I am thrilled to come across this discussion because I had such mixed feelings about this movie til I watched it about five times! At first I would have agreed with Swannie about Charlotte...I thought she was being a Biatch and really didn't care for Sam anyway! But at the same time I thought...what would I do? Where WAS Sarah all those years? Why come back now and upset the life of someone you profess to love but didn't give a second thought to when you left eight years earlier? Would she have come back at all if she didn't find out she was dying? Anybody think besides me she was a total Brat to her Father that seemed to be a very lonely and sad man? And what about Sam? He's the one that made the choice to put his seemingly happily married life on hold for an OLD girlfriend! I was furious with Sam when he nonchanantly dismissed Charlotte after telling that her hair didn't look good! I think I would have gave him the boot right then and there! Finally in sheer desperation when Charlotte mentioned starting a family and he acted like he did I wanted to reach in the screen and Slap him myself! After the meeting on the street between the two women I had by that time made up my mind as to which character I disliked the most! Sarah and Sam. I think what really made up my mind was at the opera and Charlotte was waiting for her husband to join her and instead and once again he chose his old girlfriend over her! Then I thought maybe I'm being to harsh and BTW after the scene at the opera I was in tears right along with Charlotte, but when Sam said what he said ( I forgot that not everybody has seen this movie) in the Hospital scene I came to my ultimate conclusion! He deserved to be staring at his packed bags! As a whole ...I watch this movie over and over again just to see if I change my mind.....I think although not a great movie and certainly not Gerrys best work I still thought the movie to be compelling but to use Swannies phrase touching at the same time! If you haven't seen it yet....I highly recommend it!

JMO....*Fran*

I hate this film.

I own two copies of it...and I hate it. I hated it so much that I adapted it into a stage version and directed it for my theatre degree capstone project.

Okay, this doesn't seem to make sense, I know... it's not the usual way one hates a film, usual things being perhaps poor plot, bad acting, stupid dialogue, characters you don't care about, etc.

Nope, none of the usual reasons. Because I have a very passionate frustration with this film. I hate that it thinks it's getting across one message, but that it's actually presenting another wholly and completely. Yet it's still stubborningly trying to convince its audience of something that it is NOT supporting.

I could rant about this extensively...but I'd have to pull out my director's book. Maybe another time.

~Mel

I'm with you sistah! I hated this one so much I tried to sell it at a garage sale last year....and I'm still stuck with it. :p I did not find it at all romantic or touching - it was almost infuriating for me. I could go on! :D Anyways, I'm with you girl.

it was a really sweet movie....the woman kinda seemed a bit morbid...but hey how else would you feel if you were about to die huh? lol I loved the living room scene where she was discussing her funeral with Gerry and her dad....their faces were priceless...like why is she talking about this in front of us?? haha

I hate this film.

~Mel

I've got a copy too, and I watched it all the way through...once. I've never really had the desire to watch it again..as delicious as Gerry is in it..but then, it IS Gerry, after all, and he just can't help being what he is! I agree with Swannie that it was beautifully shot, and although the actress who played Sarah wasn't beautiful in a traditional way (so what?? :confused: ) in some way that made her even more believable to me. I also was touched by Gerry's depth of emotion, as always, and especially in the hospital scene, with his "Johnny Donne" eyes (they get me every time!), but other than that, it's far from my favorite Gerry movie.

Mel, I agree with you that the movie thinks it's getting across one message but is actually presenting another, and Frannie, pretty much everything you said about the three main characters is what I felt as well..I was frustrated with Sarah for being so presumptuous in just showing up unexpectedly on Sam's doorstep--so to speak--after so many years and expecting him to just drop everything--including his marriage--to spend time with her now that she decided she finally needed him, and even more frustrated with Sam for allowing her to get away with it! I understand that he still had feeliings for Sarah, but although my dislike of her did soften somewhat as the movie progressed and she showed a bit of her softer side, I had to put myself in Charlotte's place, and regardless of whether or not they had the perfect marriage, I thought she was completely justified in resenting Sarah's intrusion into their lives and Sam's unfaithfulness. Call me old-fashioned and a dreamer; I'll be the first to admit it, but my take on it is that there is never any justification for betrayal of the marriage vows...reasons, perhaps, but justification, no. If he was so unhappy in the marriage, he had the choice to either do what he could to try and make it better, or get a divorce and find happiness elsewhere, but in the end, although a somewhat sympathetic character, he just came across as a bit weak and wishy-washy to me--(albeit STUNNINGLY HANDSOME! :D )...JMHO.

..and so you see, Mel (not that I'm claiming to say what you would have said, as I'd never be so presumptuous!)...I ranted in your stead! *steps down off of soap box*

~Phannie

Edited by phanphorlife

Okay, there has to be a dumb "duck" in every group. I have to admit that this is a movie

that I have come to like better, the more I see it, or at least I like it better than I did

at first!! I just enjoy seeing Gerry early in his career, and seeing a glimpse of the

terrific actor he has become.

My question for Mel: what IS the MESSAGE that didn't come across in this movie? I

guess I am just not that "deep!" And for what it's worth, I don't think Sam expected

his wife to take him back--he was dense, but not completely dumb, in MHO.

Judy

So my question is, what is the true message of this film?

I have to defend Sarah. She was totally up front about her reasons for coming back, and yes, she was totally selfish.... but she was dying. I would imagine that when one knows they are dying, they make some pretty hysterical decisions, especially when one is dying young.

There were obviously many unresolved issues between Sam and Sarah at their parting years ago, and neither one ever truly broke free from the other.

I also do not believe people should take their marriage vows lightly.... but again, I say the marital issues between Sam and Charlotte were already there, Sarah just brought them to the surface.

Personally, I thought Charlotte overacted to seeing Sam and Sarah together the very first time. To me her attitude was snarky, even before she knew what was going on with Sarah. While I don't excuse Sam's behavior, I do understand it. All of these people are deeply flawed, which is what I like about the film. No nice little Hollywood package, but real people dealing with crappy stuff... and not doing a very good job at it.

Did no one else feel that Sam and Charlotte's happy marriage was artificial?

Swannie

Okay, there has to be a dumb "duck" in every group. I have to admit that this is a movie

that I have come to like better, the more I see it, or at least I like it better than I did

at first!! I just enjoy seeing Gerry early in his career, and seeing a glimpse of the

terrific actor he has become.

My question for Mel: what IS the MESSAGE that didn't come across in this movie? I

guess I am just not that "deep!" And for what it's worth, I don't think Sam expected

his wife to take him back--he was dense, but not completely dumb, in MHO.

Judy

Then why did he look surprised to see the bags sitting there? I think he went back expecting to work it out with her... I don't think he's dumb at all, just immature, naive and self centered.

Gotcha thinking!

Swannie

The problem that I had with this film is this:

Not one, not one of them took into consideration the other person's feelings at all.

But mostly Sam and Sarah, he couldn't understand why maybe just maybe his wife was having a hard time with this and Sarah totally taking advantage of Sam's feelings for her and really claiming her right to him..meaning, that even when dying, she had more a hold over him than his wife, and basically could still take him if she wanted.

Sorry, but I don't particularly feel any sympathy to any of the characters, but especially for Sam and Sarah.

I think that out of all of them, Charlotte was the one I didn't like the least.

I will, I promise, dig out my notes from last fall and give a detailed explaination (though Alison did a fabulous rant in my place, lol!) about my feelings towards this film.

I thought about this material, talked about this material and worked with my actors, tech crew and dramaturg extensively on this material, not to mention the fellow directors in my capstone class, my grad student TA and my professor, for three months straight. My three leads, who played Sam, Charlotte and Sarah respectively, battled with their character and their relationships with the other characters extensively. So, I'll be delving into that as well, because it has a lot of bearing as to why I dislike the film.

So...to be continued... ;)

~Mel

I'll be interested to hear your perspective, Mel.

It seem to me, based on comments from ya'll, that for the very reasons you dislike the film... I like it. LOL

Swannie

no Swannie, I don't think their marriage was artificial....I just think that Sam had unresolved feelings for Sarah that he thought were resolved UNTIL she came to that door of the restaraunt that night. Those first scenes with him massaging Charlotte's feet...they both seemed very content with each other.

I even think that Sam would have been able to let her go (meaning Sarah) if she hadn't told him she was dying...I thought that at first he seemed very uncomfortable being with Sarah (in the car driving)...but as the days together progressed he found that he still loved her.

And I still feel that not only did he not expect to go back into his marriage with Charlotte...but that he didn't know at that point what he wanted to do with his life at all (that last scene with him). I got the feeling that on the last day he was buying vegetables for the restaraunt and he suddenly dropped everything to rush to the hospital...he had decided "screw everything I've worked for....it means nothing....I should have followed my heart all those years ago...."

Did I feel sympathy for Sarah? Only at the end....most of the movie I couldn't stand the selfish brat! lol

Did I feel sympathy for Charlotte? Oh heck yeah! I mean it would be one thing to have an ex come back into the picture (and I'm talking from experience .... my DH's first wife died of cancer and the last year of her life we were very involved in her care....but the emphasis is on the "WE"... Jacqui (Dan's ex) and I became very close that last year....her cancer spread to her spine and she was paralysed....and I spent a lot of time taking care of her)..BUT if she had come back into the picture and said she wanted to spend all of her time with my husband alone before she died I don't think I would have handled it as well as Charlotte.

Did I feel sympathy for Sam? Yeah...big dork! I definitely wanted to slap him upside the head (as a matter of fact I said that on the tape Jeremy was recording last year at the convention when we were talking.....the problem was he was trying to please two women ... impossible! But he was so cute trying...lol.

hugs,

Sue

hmmmmmm.... well maybe I need to watch it again. I swear, I never felt genuine intimacy between Sam and Charlotte.

Again, that does not excuse Sam's unfaithfulness, or Sarah's selfishness, and that's why I like this movie, no body is right... no one handles the situation well. There are no pat answers... it's just messy life.

Swannie

Well, for my two cents, for what it is worth..........

Moonglow just about summed it up for me. As a beautiful example of early Gerry -- great.

As human emotional entanglements - hated it. THe presumptiousness and self-centeredness of Sarah really got to me. Reconnect by all means....take out a marriage when you are dying, no. Sam - so immature for the whole arc and fall of the events. And the evening alone at the opera --- tears, buckets of tears on my part for Charlotte (an actress I first ran across and liked in the part of Alex in the Hamish McBeth series on BBC). (I really loved the Sarah actress when she starred in a funny little movie called Saving Grace, with Brenda Blythen and Craig Ferguson.)

The suitcases, everytime I've seen this I come up with a different owner to the cases and a different packer. Suffice it to say, it's over and someone is leaving.

But I guess it makes compelling viewing, cause here we are talking it through again. It isn't one I can let go of easily...

perhaps that's the real definition of a good flick? hmmmmmmm perhaps

auntm

Jill....I think so....and like Swannie said, I guess that's why I love it so much! And I do love this movie!

hugs,

Sue

p.s. I'm off for the bay area tomorrow so I will definitely miss this thread while I'm gone...but I will be looking forward to everyone's opinions when I get back.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally watched this movie yesterday and last night. Had to rewatch because I couldn't hear a darn thing on my TV. And it didn't have subtitles. I could understand Gerry but not Charlotte that well. I think I expected too much out of it and I'm disappointed. I agreed with Charlotte when they fought in the restaraunt. Although the whole baby thing was way out of line. Obviously she (Sarah) didn't want any part of Sam's life 7 years earlier so why should he care now. I felt she was "using" him because she knew that he loved her and would go to the ends of the earth for her.(Except when it came to him not following her to America which I kind of got the impression she thought he would) I also felt uncomfortable when Charlotte threw the scarf he bought her at him. Why can't men learn to keep their mouths shut? I figured the suitcases at the end were his and they were Charlotte's way of saying it's over and get out. Anyway, I'm over it and done and that's that. :D Dracula 2000 is next!