Gerard Butler GALS

The Phantom of the Opera

Katelyn D

Hey Rush, this is what intrigues me about this story, and that is why I am writing my own version, to explore all the layers of both Erik and Christine. I think people have a tendency to brush Christine off as just some confused teenager who is manipulating two men... but I don't see it that way. I think Christine is emotionally disturbed and stunted in her growth as a young woman, mostly due to her father's strange up-bringing of her. He never remarried (that we know of), and has raised this girl with some fanciful and unrealistic concepts, which she holds onto even as she grows up.

I don't think the Phantom ever set out decieve or trap her. He probably felt sorry for her when she first came to live at the opera house. I think she helped ease his isolation down there, but he was slowly drawn to her because they were very much alike; then he just took upon himself her Angel Of Music fantasy, while all the while falling in love with her.

Once she had matured into a young woman, I think he just assumed that it was all about romance and theatricality, but when it came to a real life relationship, the poor man was clueless. How could he be otherwise having never been in any relationship before?

I could talk about this story endlessly. I am anxious to hear your thoughts Rush!

Swan

Edited by Swansong

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I must be a terrible fan because I haven't watched any of POTO since the last time I saw the whole movie and many of the UK extras at the end of July at the San Diego Moviefest. I did see it 10 times in the theater (potty break was always right after "you will curse the day you did not do all that the Phantom asked of you!). I watched it on my portable DVD player on the plane both coming and going between L.A. and Boston in May, and have watched the first parts (from "insolent boy" through "Stranger Than You Dreamt It" several more times. But I'll get to see it in the theater again on November 19 when the L.A. area Tarts (joined by some coming from Arizona and No.Cal) are having a midnight movie showing of POTO in Westwood (cannot wait to see it with a whole bunch of Gerry fans). Many of us are planning to dress up and make quite a little event out of it.

I almost never see a movie in the theater more than once (I saw Grease 3 times I think and I saw Mary Poppins 5 times back in the 1960's) but now I've seen POTO 10 times, DF 11 times and GOTL 7 times. I already know if B&G gets a US release I'll see it as many times as I can and when 300 comes out - I think I might as well ask if the theater sells a season pass that allows me to see it daily for as long as it runs. Husband, what husband (actually he'll be the one saying "Wife? I have one? Where is she?"

Hey swan!! Yeah, I never thought of Christine that way till you brought it up in that framework myself. She does, at least in ALW's version, appear to be manipulating the two, yet I think the real intent was for us to see that was just as confused as Erik. What really makes me feel sorry for the phantom is that no one really loved and appreciated him for HIm, he got respect sure, simply out of his being a genious (aka with Madame Giry) and from his pupil Christine when that's all she was, but honestly she never really loved or even liked him for him---on that note I truly don't think she truly loved Raoul either but that's another story to analyse isn't it!! There are so many facets of this one can take apart, and I too think it's interesting to wonder about what "might have been". Though I honestly think that Erik's character in the ALW version would not have changed all that much had she really loved him either.

I wish I could write more but I have a CRAZY dog over here with a toy on a rope and he's already almost totally unplugged my PC buy acting like a dork so I've got to give him some attention, wash my hair, dry my hair and change clothes all by the time my husband gets home so I've got to get my arse offline!

:postaddict:

LOL!!!!!

Well, let's see...... I saw it 6 times in the theater and never budged an inch throughout the whole thing. (I think I forgot how to walk or even stand up once Gerry appeared on the screen! Breathing was a bit of a challenge as well.) I ordered it from Amazon as soon as it became available but just in case it didn't come in time, I had it on my Netflix list so it arrived on its release date. Of course, my family thought I was nuts but oh well!! Watched it all the way that night and have seen it start to finish probably another dozen times since, including this past Saturday with a friend of my daughter's. Poor deprived child had only seen it once in the theater. I have also watched parts of it countless times as I ride my stationary bike along with other Gerry movies as well. I listen to the movie thru wireless headphones as I bop around the house doing housework, etc. Hmmmm, Oh God in Heaven, We're all obsessed!!!!!!!

I saw POTO in the Theater 5 times, I woulda seen it more but I live in the boondocks and it was only here 5 weeks!!! I never stirred from my seat and did not eat, or barely breath except to cry every time. I had my DVD ordered and got it 10AM on the release date (I got the special edition so got to see all the extras and get high) I probably have seen it about 20 times now---start to finish. I don't eat, drink, or go tinkle. I still sit there glued to the whole thing, and I still cry. I still think he is the most georgous man, and I could never get enough of it or him!!! :mopboyerik: I have pix of the Phantom (and Gerry) all over my house. So I guess I am totally obcessed, and it is the most wonderful feeling!!! I want to see it start to finish every time, and will never ever get tired of all the wonderment in that film!!! :rose:

The biggest TV magazine in Switzerland published a small brochure with the 100 must have DVD's.

Ahhhhh, what a joy. POTO is among them, besides Gone with the Wind, Moulin Rouge, Forrest Gump, E.T., Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc... Just wanted to share this good news.

:mopboyerik: :mopboyerik: :rose::rose: ::D:

ALL I CAN HELP OUT WITH IS INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE USA SPECIAL EDITION DVD.

PUT IN DISC TWO

SELECT ADDITIONAL SCENES

PRESS THE DOWN ARROW ON YOUR REMOTE

AN ICON COMES UP AND THEN PRESS ENTER

THERE IT IS AND ENJOY IT!!! THE CAST AND CREW SING

:lalala::lalala::lalala: PHANTOM OF THE OPERA :lalala::lalala::lalala:

IT HAS LITTLE CLIPS OF GERARD AND EMMY, IT IS FUN, BUT I WISH THERE WAS MORE OF GERRY IN IT.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ALL I CAN HELP OUT WITH IS INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE USA SPECIAL EDITION DVD.

PUT IN DISC TWO

SELECT ADDITIONAL SCENES

PRESS THE DOWN ARROW ON YOUR REMOTE

AN ICON COMES UP AND THEN PRESS ENTER

THERE IT IS AND ENJOY IT!!! THE CAST AND CREW SING

:lalala::lalala::lalala: PHANTOM OF THE OPERA :lalala::lalala::lalala:

IT HAS LITTLE CLIPS OF GERARD AND EMMY, IT IS FUN, BUT I WISH THERE WAS MORE OF GERRY IN IT.

aaaaaah, I love the singalong!!! I wish I could have a little avi of when Joel "woos" Gerry...gah, I love that part :wub:

• 9 months later...

I was just in a store about an hour ago and they

played POTO , the broadway version, on the PA system.

I just struck me again, the lack of passion in their version.

Even though it was musically about perfect it had no

appeal to me cause I could not feel the emotions that

were so evident in the film.

I immediately went to my car and put my POTO CD in LOL

I can't get enough of The Phantom of the Opera. I love that movie!!! I finally got to see it all the way thru and I was really blown away by Gerry's performance. WOW....I can see what you girls were talking about how sexy he was in POTO. I can watch this movie over and over and never get sick of it. I really love Gerry in 300 and The Phantom of the Opera.

Snowbunny, welcome to the world of the Phantom Obsessed! I missed it in the theatre due to my late husband's poor health, but made up for it with the DVD (I have both versions). I've watched the movie dozens of times, watch it every time they show it again on HBO, and even have it on my DVR so I can pop up my favorite scenes anytime. I have a gorgeous Phantom print from Kim Schultz on the wall, an autographed "Red Death" picture from Gerry, a Phantom doll, a Phantom plushie, a beautiful monkey music box and a GORGEOUS musical (real) eggshell decorated in red and black jewels that plays Music of the Night. And we are not even gonna mention all the soundtracks and books. I guess I'm not only obsessed, I'm also "round the bend" over the Phantom. (I even bought the H.D. version of POTO as soon as it was available - and have NOTHING to play it on!!!) If they have a cure for this, I DON'T WANT IT!!

Sue

Texas Grandma, :funnyabove:

I bought the HD version also!!!!!! and don't have an HD DVD player yet !!! :rotflmao:

Snowbunny....Welcome to the Officially Obsessed Gerry Phantom Club!!!!!! We do know how you feel.............. :erikrose:

Debrasue

I even watch it hoping there is a different ending. LOL.....Shoot.....I was yelling at the tv saying "I'll take care of you Phantom!!!!" I crack myself up. I have always loved The Phantom of the Opera. I love the music, the story...just everything about this movie I love and having Gerry play the Phantom just is a bonus. Thanx guys for the welcome!!!!!

Snowbunny, be sure to check out Swansong's "alternate ending" Phantom story at her Chanson site---it's a beautiful story.........I think it's posted here in the over 18 fan fiction also. You are so lucky........I didn't have a computer when I first saw the POTO trailers on tv..I had to wait anxiously by myself till I finally got the DVD for my birthday in May 2005! I still had no one to converse with about the most wonderful movie ever!!!! and I had no idea who the Phantom was---had never seen him before---I knew his name from the credits---but had no idea what he really looked like until I watched the special features that came with the movie. God in Heaven...I was obsessed and thought I was the only one!!!LOL! Now I know better and am so glad to have found the other gals here---all equally as obsessed as I! If you're gonna have GALS this is the only place to be!!!

Debrasue :mopboyerik: :igotgals:

Ah Deb, you beat me to it! Snowbunny.... if you click the link below my siggy, it will take you to my website where you can read my version of our beloved Phantom story.

I have been obsessed/in love with the Phantom since I was 11!

Hugs from one Phanty Phan to another!

Swannie

Thanx guys!!!! WOW...Swansong.....what a trip when you went to Vegas to meet Gerry. He really seems down to earth and just different from the other Hollywood stars. I don't see other Hollywood stars show their appreciation like Gerry. That is why I like him so much. He is just one of a kind. I am glad that you made it back ok and your health improved. What a journey.

Who was Tonya??? Is that his publists??? Iam going to read your story tomorrow during lunch. It is getting late and it is bed time or Gerry time (I hope!!!!). Good night!!!!!! :D