Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
becozy

PS, I luv ya: Scottish star Butler enters pantheon of cringing Oirish accents

I agree xan. I saw so many posts on the Gerry sights that criticized his accent in Shattered.... and other than a few little slips of the burrrr ... I thought Gerry's dialect sounded American in that movie.

I wonder if he had to do a special accent for Nims? Anyone know?

Swannie

It is obvious that it is the accent that has prevented him from getting the "A" list roles and the cover of People magazine, not to mention having a movie career. I mean if the guy can't do a viable American, English, Irish accent we should close down this website and all the others dedicated to this accent-challenged wannabee.

from: Dublin's Independent at: http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/fi...ts-1139222.html

Independent.ie

Ps, I luv ya: Scottish star butler enters pantheon of cringing Oirish accents

And please don't even mention Nicole Kidman in Far and Away -- there's a new contender for the worst Irish accent in Hollywood.

PS, I Love You is set to get them cringing in the aisles thanks to Scottish star Gerard Butler and his worst Irish accent ever. Gerard, who stars alongside Hilary Swank in the adaptation of Cecelia Ahern's best-selling novel, follows in the footsteps of a fine list of Hollywood actors who have tried and failed to capture an Irish accent on celluloid.

The Scottish star, who has an advantage over his Hollywood brethren with his Celtic roots, has still somehow managed to deliver an accent which would put the most over-the-top leprechaun loving faux Irish person to shame.

Indeed, Irish audiences will no doubt cringe as he glibly drops his t's and h's and over-stretches his vowels to portray Gerry Kennedy, the fun-loving husband to Swank's character Holly.

Acclaimed by fans as one of the most romantic novels of recent years, producers of the film will no doubt be crossing their fingers that viewers aren't tempted to block their ears throughout to save themselves the painful experience of Butler's 'lucky charms' take on the Irish accent -- which is not alone as films over the years show.

Up beside Gerard is Brad Pitt, who made many a Northerner weep with his heart-breakingly awful attempt at a Belfast accent in The Devil's Own.

Giving Brad and Gerard some stiff competition in the bad imitation league is Johnny Depp, who went way over the top with his attempt at an Irish accent for his role as the care-free gypsy character who has his wicked way with Juliette Binoche in Chocolat.

Fans of the book will no doubt be queuing to hear the Oirish tones of Butler when the film is released here in December.

I really don't think the everyday movie goer will distinguish a bad irsh accent from an authentic one,heck some ;people can't tell the Dif between Scots and Welsh and the Dif parts of England

from: Dublin's Independent at: http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/fi...ts-1139222.html

Independent.ie

Ps, I luv ya: Scottish star butler enters pantheon of cringing Oirish accents

And please don't even mention Nicole Kidman in Far and Away -- there's a new contender for the worst Irish accent in Hollywood.

PS, I Love You is set to get them cringing in the aisles thanks to Scottish star Gerard Butler and his worst Irish accent ever. Gerard, who stars alongside Hilary Swank in the adaptation of Cecelia Ahern's best-selling novel, follows in the footsteps of a fine list of Hollywood actors who have tried and failed to capture an Irish accent on celluloid.

The Scottish star, who has an advantage over his Hollywood brethren with his Celtic roots, has still somehow managed to deliver an accent which would put the most over-the-top leprechaun loving faux Irish person to shame.

Indeed, Irish audiences will no doubt cringe as he glibly drops his t's and h's and over-stretches his vowels to portray Gerry Kennedy, the fun-loving husband to Swank's character Holly.

Acclaimed by fans as one of the most romantic novels of recent years, producers of the film will no doubt be crossing their fingers that viewers aren't tempted to block their ears throughout to save themselves the painful experience of Butler's 'lucky charms' take on the Irish accent -- which is not alone as films over the years show.

Up beside Gerard is Brad Pitt, who made many a Northerner weep with his heart-breakingly awful attempt at a Belfast accent in The Devil's Own.

Giving Brad and Gerard some stiff competition in the bad imitation league is Johnny Depp, who went way over the top with his attempt at an Irish accent for his role as the care-free gypsy character who has his wicked way with Juliette Binoche in Chocolat.

Fans of the book will no doubt be queuing to hear the Oirish tones of Butler when the film is released here in December.

I really don't think the everyday movie goer will distinguish a bad irsh accent from an authentic one,heck some ;people can't tell the Dif between Scots and Welsh and the Dif parts of England

Yes, but if people keep complaining about it and writing nasty articles about it based on just the trailer, the critics will have yet another reason to savage the film and Gerry (I think they will anyway). This WILL have an effect on how the public perceives the film overall, especially when even some of Gerry's so-called fans are already bitching about the accent based only on a few sentences.

Anyone see Cider House Rules, where Michael Cain plays a doctor who was supposedly born and raised in Maine? I could not believe how badly his cockney poked through his attempt at Northeastern accent. There was no way this man sounded like a native of Maine... and yet that did not in any way impact my enjoyment of the film.

I'm with you xan, I guess I can handle the critics panning Gerry's accent, but I dislike how the fans are so quick to jump on him too, just based on the one trailer we have seen.

Where is my soap box?????

:tantrum:

as far as gerrys accent that doesnt bother me near as much a the color of his hair in the movie... or his eyebrows.... what is up with that??? and it changes??? from redish brown to brown??? but none the less... i shall watch it many times..... if only for his dance scenes......... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is just my opinion; I think they have changed Gerry's looks in some scenes to reflect the fact that he has an illness. If you look real close, they have made it look like he has no eyelashes in a few of the pix. Perhaps it is just makeup and wigs and follows the storyline of his illness.

As far as this "accent" story, we should tell them; :read: then!

Barbara

I was going to bed but not before saying :yo: critics.....get a grip....it's a movie!! And by the way........ :barebum:.

:dance:

Edited by ladyfran

I have only one thing to say about that..."Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!" SO THERE! :barebum:

I don't care if it's Scottish, English, or bad Irish, Gerry can read the telephone book to me and I'd be a happy woman.

:hugs:

Dr. Em

I have only one thing to say about that..."Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!" SO THERE! :barebum:

I don't care if it's Scottish, English, or bad Irish, Gerry can read the telephone book to me and I'd be a happy woman.

:hugs:

Dr. Em

Um yeah...what she said...

Okay, THAT’S IT; I’m pulling out my not-so-humble opinions.

Accents have GOT to be some of the most subjective, slippery things on the face of this planet. I’ve had people ask me if I’m from this state or that state, when I’ve never lived in this state or that state. Everyone has their own personal accent. There’s always something in the way a person speaks that belongs solely to them. Obviously this is heavily influenced by the general accent of the nation(s) and region(s) where they live or have lived. I had a TA in college who had lived all over Europe and in the United States. His accent sounded like a mixture of Dutch, English and American. If he were in a film, using his own “natural” accent… he would be ripped to shreds for trying to do an American accent and failing.

I’m going to take a stab in the dark and say, rather presumptuously, that this critic is rather put out by any non-Irish actor/actress who does not adhere to his personal Irish regional, perhaps even familial, accent. Is there a hint of “Lucky Charms” in some of Gerry’s lines in the trailer? Yep, I heard it. But so what? It was actually pretty subtle… and as someone on this board mentioned somewhere (I can’t remember who it was, but thank you for the comment) Gerry’s accent in some points of the trailer sounded like a Irishman who had lived in the U.S for some time. Indeed! It would seem, in watching the trailer carefully, that when Gerry Kennedy is speaking as a voice from the past, his accent is thicker, Irish… slightly Lucky Charms-ish, but so what? It’s SLIGHTLY that way…and Gerry Butler’s true-to-life accent is slightly the Scottish janitor from The Simpsons!

Personally, I’m glad that they kept Gerry Kennedy an Irishman. The more accents Gerry Butler can prove himself in playing, the better. We have ultra-sensitive ears when it comes to Gerry…we listen far too hard for a “slip” in whatever accent his character has. We find a word that has a slight burr of Scottish-ness…but guess what? I’ve heard straight-out Americans say the word like that! Had it come from the lips of a native state-sider, no one would have batted an eye.

If I hadn’t known anything about Gerry Butler and seen the trailer for PSILY, I wouldn’t have had any reaction to the Irish accent. I’m not Irish, this is true, but I’m saying as an American… I wouldn’t have flinched. What would Irish critics have said (if ANYTHING) if they’d been told that Gerry Butler was actually Irish? Maybe they’d said, “Oh, he sounds like he’s from this or that part…maybe lived here or there for a while,” etc.

GAH. It’s late and I’m on a rampage…but has my point been made?

~Mel

I went to see Elizabeth yesterday and the first preview they showed was P.S. I Love You!. Even though the audience was small (about 5 people) there were several laughs during the funny parts. As for Elizabeth.....good movie, but not great, something of a disappointment IMO. If you are wondering what this has to do with accents, its that Clive Owen, who I have always thought overrated as an actor, did a fair job (Gerry would have been way better IMO :D ),but almost sounded American! Everyone else (at least in the English court) had English accents, but Walter Raleigh sounded like he was from Chicago. What's with that? The critics made not one comment about this in the reviews I read, but are already starting to criticize GB for his accent in PSILY. It is obvious some actors are clearly media darlings and beyond criticism. I will now turn the soap box over to someone else.....promise.

I share the author's "pain." Whenever I hear an actor attempt to accomplish a "New Orleans" accent, I cringe. As a result, I can't watch movies and/or TV shows like "K-ville" because I just end up PESSED OFF that actors can't do the research.

:lalala: Exactly! Try having all those years of "Murder, She Wrote" as Maine accent examples.

It's such a short snippet to be so amplified. Like the rest of you, I'm waiting for the movie.

:ohbaby2: ... am I waiting for the movie!

I went to see Elizabeth yesterday and the first preview they showed was P.S. I Love You!. Even though the audience was small (about 5 people) there were several laughs during the funny parts. As for Elizabeth.....good movie, but not great, something of a disappointment IMO. If you are wondering what this has to do with accents, its that Clive Owen, who I have always thought overrated as an actor, did a fair job (Gerry would have been way better IMO :D ),but almost sounded American! Everyone else (at least in the English court) had English accents, but Walter Raleigh sounded like he was from Chicago. What's with that? The critics made not one comment about this in the reviews I read, but are already starting to criticize GB for his accent in PSILY. It is obvious some actors are clearly media darlings and beyond criticism. I will now turn the soap box over to someone else.....promise.

I saw Elizabeth last night too, and really enjoyed it. I've always thought Clive Owen was over rated. He was very good looking in this, but just is lacking something in his vocal delivery. His speaking voice falls flat to me, and he swallows his tones, so his voice often sounds garbled. I couldn't figure out his accent either.

Swannie

The term "oirish" accent has been around for as long as there has been movies. Major stars have been panned for their "oirish". The funny thing about it is that it is "oirish" an accent onto its own that has been sing/songed through the annuls of movie making. I wouldn't be overly sensitive about someone pointing out that the "oirish" is back. From the little bit that was heard on psily it sounded cute coming through gerry's mouth. Gerry does a credable job surpressing his very strong Scottish masculine accent. When he gets a little time off between "jobs" he might consider taking the time to perfect an accent with a dialect coach. I would say with all that Gerry has going for him a wee bit of the "oirich" can be over looked

GAH, did anyone else read my musings on accents??? (I know you did, Swannie)

*puts head in hand*

Yo! I DO have a degree in theatre! I have SOME credibility!

I've just found this thread and read the so-called critique. What a load of twaddle. I've been to Ireland more than once and stayed in the area where I believe Gerry's character is supposed to come from. I have no problem whatsoever with his accent. Maybe it's just another case of someone having a dig? It does seem to happen quite a lot doesn't it? When we are able to see the complete movie we can all form a proper judgement then. I, for one, shall not pay any attention to the critics - but then I seldom do.

I've just found this thread and read the so-called critique. What a load of twaddle. I've been to Ireland more than once and stayed in the area where I believe Gerry's character is supposed to come from. I have no problem whatsoever with his accent. Maybe it's just another case of someone having a dig? It does seem to happen quite a lot doesn't it? When we are able to see the complete movie we can all form a proper judgement then. I, for one, shall not pay any attention to the critics - but then I seldom do.

pat, I WUB you! :hug99:

~Mel

I don't know what all the hoo-hah is anyway. His accent sounded fine to me, but like becozy, I would have preferred that they let him use his own adorable Scottish accent. That one sends my knickers into overdrive.

Anyone else notice that on that positively wonderful movie poster that Gerry has his own hair color as opposed to the red that they used in his movie role? Looks a bit odd doesn't it?