Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
jenn

11/11 - Little Miss Swearbox

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/

Little Miss Swearbox

Nov 11 2007 By Toby Mcdonald

Exclusive Sunshine Star Fines Gerry For Cursing

HOLLYWOOD star Gerard Butler's swearing has cost him a fortune on the set of his latest movie after he was taken to task by pint-sized co-star Abigail Breslin.

Child star Abi - who wowed critics in the hit movie Little Miss Sunshine - introduced a swear box because of the Scot's four-letter outbursts on the set of new movie Nim's Island.

And Gerard, 38, admits he has had to cough up hundreds of dollars during filming near the Great Barrier Reef in Australia with Abi and Jodie Foster.

He said: "Being from Scotland, I have a bit of a foul mouth.

"She fined me two dollars a time. It was hard to argue with her."

Tomb Raider and 300 star Gerard's cash went to a good cause - Australian animal cruelty charities.

Abigail, 11, was the fourth-youngest actress to be nominated for an Academy Award for Little Miss Sunshine. She played a child who takes her dysfunctional family on a hilarious journey across the US in her bid to win a beauty pageant.

In Nim's Island, based on a children's book, Gerard stars as scientist dad Jack Butler and Abigail as his plucky daughter, Nim, who live on a tropical Australian isle.

Their idyllic life is shattered when Jack's boat is lost in a storm and Nim sets out to find him, helped by her Indiana Jones-style imaginary hero, Alex Rover - also played by Butler.

Butler, who uses an American accent for Jack and his natural Scottish voice for Alex, said: "Nim and her dad are best buddies.

"I don't think I could have done it as well with someone who didn't have Abigail's special talents.

"I learned a lot from her, how she would embrace an idea and go for it."

The film was set on Hichinbrook Island in North Queensland, between the mainland and the Great Barrier Reef.

Gerard's greatest peril there was keeping pesky pelicans at bay.

He said: "Once I was sitting talking to a pelican and he goes behind me. I looked like an angel on camera but I was sure he was going to rip my ear off."

SUNDAY EMAIL

reporters@sundaymail.co.uk

I think it's absolutely ridiculous to punish someone for using "bad language", but at least the money's being used for something important that most people overlook.

Guest greyeyegoddess

I have two thoughts on that...

I think that was a cute idea and a cute story. Looks like Gerry would rather say what he wanted to say. I bet Gerry wasn't the only one who coughed up dough--if anyone has worked with people in entertainment.

Second, it's these kinds of stories that give us more insight on Gerry's character--this one, the suspenders incident.

~alice

:music:

w00t, he got to use his native Scottish accent for Rover!

I think it's absolutely ridiculous to punish someone for using "bad language", but at least the money's being used for something important that most people overlook.

Nobody forced him to pay up... we have to remember that.

And I certainly agree with Alice, more insights to his character. He certainly could have told his young co-star to step off, refusing to pay. But all evidence shows that Gerry's not like that.

~Mel

I think it was all in fun.

Ellen did something similar when Colin Ferrel was a guest on her show. She fined him 50 bucks every time he popped off with the F-word, and the money went for some charity. Well it was hilarious, because with Colin, every other word is "fook", so Ellen, the audience, and and Colin cracked up each time he was *beeped* followed by the *ch-ching* sound effect, with the dollar amount being tallied up on the TV screen.

I forget how much Colin owed by the end of the show, but he was more than happy to pay up!

My guess is, Gerry prolly didn't even try to curb his foul language by the end of the shoot, and was more than happy to contribute to his co-star's charity. Sounds like he has a lot of respect for the young lady, and I'll bet they are buds now!

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

Well you kindve have to think..maybe Abigail grew up in a family that is strict about what they say and it is revealing through her. And the only way they were disciplined was by paying in money instead of getting hit by another person. Think about it...giving is better then receiving.

Paige

Gerry likes kids and he always gives generously to charities so when you put the two together he would have no problem going along with Abigail. He also admits "I have a bit of a foul mouth" so maybe he wanted incentive to TRY and control it, as best as he could. I think it was a cute story!

Kathy :claphands:

Hehehehe... But I'd have made him pay up in kisses. :kisswink:

I love finding out tidbits of his personality and this is just one of the many traits that I adore about the man. If you got something to say and you look as fine as he does saying it why not pepper it up w/a few choice swear words. Love it! he's just too cute.

Cassie

BRILLIANT Lish!! :kisswink:

~Mel

:claphands: OH YEAH! Me tooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

:D Fran

I said in another thread that I think a lot of this story is a publicity tie-in. I imagine he does swear on set but not to the extent of 100s of dollars. I dont think we would recognize "our Gerry" if he was a sweet mouthed angel and didn't have a few choice words once in a while. I say publicity here....... I sure dont fault him for being himself.

I think that is was all done in fun. Poor Gerry, goes broke, and the Society Against Animal Cruelty gets a healthy donation.

Listen to this. I once had a swearing problem and am ashamed that I often did it in front of my daughter, especially when driving. I didn't like that about myself so I decided to change that. I made a deal with my daughter that if I cussed, in front of her, I would give her 20 dollars. I thought that would end the problem, but being that I have quite the Scottish, Irish temper, it didn't. I kept to my promise and she made alot of money that summer and I went broke very fast :D Needless to say, I no longer curse in front of my daughter. But it took, me nearly going to the poor house.

Gerry, I understand how you feel.

LOL... it takes a pint-sized lady to keep him in line! :rotflmao:

Erik's Ebony Eyes :erikrose:

That was one of the funniest articles I have read in awhile. Gerry is who Gerry is. I'm glad that he feels free to say what is on his mind. I have a feeling that he was very comfortable with the people around him so he just lets thing fly.

LOL... it takes a pint-sized lady to keep him in line! :rotflmao:

Yep, you go, Abigail! And I'm glad Gerry had the decency to cooperate with his co-star. Good for him. :claphands:

I have to SAY this is TOOOOOOO CUTE. :lol:

the pic of her (she a cutie herself) standing with Gerry and him having his wallet out given her cash -- I :lol: . and it went for a good cause. SOOOO what a GREAT story. it made me smile :D

binkie

The article was very cute, but I myself felt in some interviews that his vocabulary got a little bit less refined after "300". I am not a native English speaker, it was just a feeling, but if this little girl helped to make him even more perfect than he already is (which is almost impossible), and, at the same time, the money went for a good thing, what could we want more?

From the articles I've read and the interviews and tidbits I've seen, Gerry has a foul mouth. Period. He loves the F-word and I totally hand it to Abigail Breslin for calling him on it. The fact is he should watch his mouth around an 11 year old girl! Do they hear that stuff all the time? Sure. Does it make it right? no.

Don't get me wrong, I swear with the best of them and quite a bit. But not around kids. And that it was the kid that tried to get him to stop I think is hilarious!!

w00t, he got to use his native Scottish accent for Rover!

Nobody forced him to pay up... we have to remember that.

And I certainly agree with Alice, more insights to his character. He certainly could have told his young co-star to step off, refusing to pay. But all evidence shows that Gerry's not like that.

~Mel

It's not news to me he uses the F word a lot, I meant he's old enough to say whatever the hell he wants.

Guest DonnaKat

Somewhere in the world, a cute little furry koala bear is saying "$^%&% thank you, Gerry, for your potty mouth and generosity."....if koala bears could talk, that is. I betcha even a koala bear would let a curse word fly every now and again...especially if someone messed with his eucalyptus.

yup, he can definitely say whatever he wants. But it is nice to know that a little girl doesn't think it's cool and that he obviously agreed with her.

No, hearing Gerry drop f-bombs definitely isn't cool ...

... just HOT! (but not "hot" in front of wee ones).

(This article is a riot - I love it! And you're ABSOLUTELY RIGHT, Dawn. I talk like a sailor. However, in front of wee ones is a no-no.)

ETS: Binks - I don't see any picture of Gerry and Abi!!! WTP is it?