Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Swansong

A Second Life for B&G??

http://weblogs.variety.com/thompsononholly...lf-reviews.html

Interesting review of the new Beowulf film:

November 11, 2007

Beowulf: Hybrid Animation VFX

Mommy_lBeowulf is good cheesy fun. Bob Zemeckis and Sony Imageworks and the hundreds of folks who labored to make this movie have delivered a must-see event, especially in IMAX 3-D. But it's not nearly as good as it could have been, nor did it need to be so labor intensive. I would happily watch the blue-screen/live-action/300 version of this movie, which would have cost half as much. Or I would eagerly see the entirely animated version. Why not shoot live-action and animate the non-human creatures? This performance capture/imagemotion process remains clunky and stiff.

Here's the deal: the best stuff in Beowulf is the most stylized, the most liberated from the motion-capture process--Angelina Jolie's spike-heeled demon, the monster Grendel, the golden dragon and Beowulf himself. Beowulf is an idealized Adonis-version of Ray Winstone, and the most magnificently rendered human character ever put on-screen. But the other humans, from Robin Wright Penn to Anthony Hopkins, with their plastic eyes and murky teeth, are still strange and weird. They are stiff, robotic, less human than if they had been animated. The human eye is rigged to pick out anything wrong. The closer to reality you get, the easier it is to miss it.

As for the whole Academy debate about animation vs. visual effects, Zemeckis remains hung up on being taken seriously as a live-action director who works with actors and props etc. Well, as long as this movie is 100% rendered, the Academy considers it animation, even if the process used to make the movie is the same one that created Gollum or King Kong. Those characters are considered VFX. But the VFX committee will never budge on this.

Bgweb2a_01

The Beowulf myth is a deep and powerful one; it goes back to the old tales that J.R.R. Tolkein was inspired by when he wrote The Lord of the Rings. I highly recommend the Seamus Heaney translation, which doesn't take long to read. But Roger Avary and Neil Gaiman have gussied up the story, complicating it with sex and honor and guilt and all sorts of modern emotions that the original myth had nothing to do with. Finally, I prefer the old-fashioned action-adventure Beowulf & Grendel, starring 300's Gerard Butler.

It would be nice to think that such a mention would encourage people to search out Gerry's version of the story.

I hope it does.

whooo hooooo...i certainly hope it makes people go out seeking gerry's version..... what an incredible film, i just wish they would package wrath of the gods for a two for one..... so that people can know what it took to make this movie.... but either way.... sturla gunnarsson should be jumping on this bandwagon and rereleasing it....in a special package perhaps??? maybe a directors cut version, that adds some of the stuff from wrath???

he and all involved deserve the attention, as this , for me, was one of the most incredibly daring, well directed, well filmed , movies.....!!!!!!!!!

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Gerry's Beowulf is far more appealing, in terms of his looks and the simplicity of the story. Hopefully more and more people will go out there and see his version, and turn it into a hit at the video store or on Amazon. :kisswink: Hey, a Beowulf girl can dream! :rotflmao:

Edited by ronaholic

I do hope that people search out Gerry's version of B & G. It was done with his soul all over it. It was his project which makes it special in my mind.

I know it got some sort of a bump from the release of "300" as evidenced by this display at my local supermarket over the summer:

(click to enlarge and look at the top row)

Posted Image

There is a good chance that if the Zemekis version does reasonably well at the box office it will get people interested in other versions, specifically Gerry's. I have no desire to see the Zemekis Beowulf - when I saw the trailer recently it creeped me out too much. I'll stick with Gerry's - and Wrath of Gods to show what hell they went through to get it made in one of the most starkly beautiful places on earth.

I recently lent Wrath of Gods to a coworker who loved Beowulf & Grendel and she was shocked because she didn't realize that all of what is seen in the movie with very few exceptions, was real and NOT done with CGI.

Susan, I could have taken that exact picture. We have that in our Wal-Mart here.

http://weblogs.variety.com/thompsononholly...lf-reviews.html

Interesting review of the new Beowulf film:

November 11, 2007

Beowulf: Hybrid Animation VFX

Mommy_lBeowulf is good cheesy fun. Bob Zemeckis and Sony Imageworks and the hundreds of folks who labored to make this movie have delivered a must-see event, especially in IMAX 3-D. But it's not nearly as good as it could have been, nor did it need to be so labor intensive. I would happily watch the blue-screen/live-action/300 version of this movie, which would have cost half as much. Or I would eagerly see the entirely animated version. Why not shoot live-action and animate the non-human creatures? This performance capture/imagemotion process remains clunky and stiff.

Here's the deal: the best stuff in Beowulf is the most stylized, the most liberated from the motion-capture process--Angelina Jolie's spike-heeled demon, the monster Grendel, the golden dragon and Beowulf himself. Beowulf is an idealized Adonis-version of Ray Winstone, and the most magnificently rendered human character ever put on-screen. But the other humans, from Robin Wright Penn to Anthony Hopkins, with their plastic eyes and murky teeth, are still strange and weird. They are stiff, robotic, less human than if they had been animated. The human eye is rigged to pick out anything wrong. The closer to reality you get, the easier it is to miss it.

As for the whole Academy debate about animation vs. visual effects, Zemeckis remains hung up on being taken seriously as a live-action director who works with actors and props etc. Well, as long as this movie is 100% rendered, the Academy considers it animation, even if the process used to make the movie is the same one that created Gollum or King Kong. Those characters are considered VFX. But the VFX committee will never budge on this.

Bgweb2a_01

The Beowulf myth is a deep and powerful one; it goes back to the old tales that J.R.R. Tolkein was inspired by when he wrote The Lord of the Rings. I highly recommend the Seamus Heaney translation, which doesn't take long to read. But Roger Avary and Neil Gaiman have gussied up the story, complicating it with sex and honor and guilt and all sorts of modern emotions that the original myth had nothing to do with. Finally, I prefer the old-fashioned action-adventure Beowulf & Grendel, starring 300's Gerard Butler.

In A Way I'm Kinda Mad At The Fact He Made That Movie Back In 98,99...And Now They Made Basically The Same Movie And It's Getting More Reconizion(Can't Spell) That Gerry's Version Did...But I Am Gonna Go See It...My Friends Are Begging Me To Go....But I Was Thanking About Boycotting The Movie...But Yall Know How Friends Are...So Persistant! LOL

To Me, Even If The Movies Awesome, I'll Always Like His Version Better...