Gerard Butler GALS

Dear Frankie

CanuckGal

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, just watched the scene when The Stranger is waving on the Accra, and then walks toward Frankie and Lizzie. OH MY EFFIN GOD!!! That swagger!!! If only he would walk towards me like that!!!!

SIGH . . . .

I Feel Ya On That One! :heat:

Okay, just finished it, and for the first time CRIED. When Frankie gives him the seahorse - that's when it started.

I also made my son's girlfriend and her best friend watch it with me. They're 17, and it was a total waste on them. Oh well - they'll grow up one day and then beg me to watch it.

Yup, The Stranger is definitely my favorite guy . . .

Lisa :mopboystranger:

Yeah, my favorite,too. The Stranger that is. And the movie. I sent this home with my sister who is gung ho about seeing PSILY, but she didn't even cry when watching this. I thought for sure she'd cry when Frankie hugged the Stranger when he met him...but NOOOOO! No heart I tell ya! And her boyfriend made the comment that I needed to get out more!! JERK! :D

Oh, wait, I've got one better, Jo! My son's girlfriend's best friend said, "This movie is sooo long! When is it over?!" Can you believe that? I forget they're only 17, but sheesh!! I was so hurt. Stupid little girl. The one part that they "Awww"ed at was when Frankie hugged The Stranger, and the look on Gerry's face - that affected them. Otherwise, it was a long and boring movie for them.

Oh, but they rewound and rewound that DVD to figure out what the bartender lady said to Lizzie!!! And they figured it out, but now I don't remember. Something alluding to her being a hooker or something.

Anyway, my favorite movie so far . . . that's why he's my mop boy. :mopboystranger:

Lisa :hearts:

• 1 month later...

Yup, The Stranger is definitely my favorite guy . . .

Lisa :mopboystranger:

Lisa, Join the club!!!!!! I could watch DF everyday! :claphands:

I Agree I Liked The Stranger Too...He Was So Kind For Doing What He Did.....

I just watched it last week; it will definitely be one I'll keep going back to. I liked the fact that at the end we find out he's her friend's brother, so he might be back around again! I like to think so, anyway! And that Frankie knew all along that he wasn't his real father, but played along for his mom's sake was very cool. I wonder how long it takes a DVD to wear out?! :tasty:

I hope a DVD does not wear out so quickly, if ever! I also liked this film a lot. And the fact that some people did not cry - you might have a strong emotions and not cry at all! Just look at the Stranger - he also did not show his emotions openly! I also, as soon as it was clear that he was a brother of Mary, was sure it would have a happy ending! In fact, I do not think the Stranger was a sailor at all (the scene of him giving a money for a sailor for addressing him like this), he might have lived somewhere around, probably having been disappointed somehow in his life before, so became such a closed persone, but, as Mary looked like, I think she could put them together (she even tried quite hard at a concert, I think). I do not know if I would like to see a sequel - like this, I could have my own imaginations...

• 3 weeks later...

I think one of our talented members that write here should tackle what happens after he comes back. I think it would make a terrific story.

D.F. was beautifully acted and filmed. G said it all with the eyes.

A few of us were trying to come up with what we would call him. I came up with "Bryan"...and Ilene wrote a wonderful "Stranger" piece calling him "Ian."

"Ian" is a perfect NAME!

Anyways, D.F. is on my top three G films.

• 4 weeks later...

I think one of our talented members that write here should tackle what happens after he comes back. I think it would make a terrific story.

D.F. was beautifully acted and filmed. G said it all with the eyes.

A few of us were trying to come up with what we would call him. I came up with "Bryan"...and Ilene wrote a wonderful "Stranger" piece calling him "Ian."

"Ian" is a perfect NAME!

Anyways, D.F. is on my top three G films.

I wholeheartedly agree. The tears are barely dry on my face and I still haven't stopped shaking yet from watching this movie **visibly swooning with emotion** :omg2: . We MUST find out what happens when his hotness comes back to Frankie and Lizzie.

You guys have got me wanting to watch DF again....I usually get to it once every two weeks. Problem is my DVD player has got to be hooked up to this new Direct TV thingy! I am so unelectronically talented! I just recently learned how to save numbers in my cell phone... I guess I'm stoopid! :laugh: Anyway, back when I was an angel (when I belonged to the Angel site) we wrote our own versions of endings to DF. It was a contest. I didn't win but they were all displayed for all to read. There were some really good ones. My Mom of course liked mine the best and wanted me to send it to the "Movie people" :rotflmao: That is her favorite Gerry movie come to think of it but she does have a problem with the ending.

:wave: Fran

I loved Dear Frankie. I found the Stranger extremely sexy because he didn't say a whole lot or show a whole lot of emotion but you knew it was just brewing underneath. Like someone mentioned here, it was all in the eyes. I was really broke up during the hug with Frankie. The worst thing is my 16 year old daughter saw it after I did and came into my room crying over it. So there is a message there and it is powerful - especially to someone who can associate with the situation.

Great Gerry movie. One of my favourites for sure.

One of my favorite Gerry films, too. Seeing this in the theater was my very first get-together with other Gerry fans in Houston, too. SO that made it even more special. Many of the women I met that night are now my best friends here in town. Dear Frankie ranks way up on my list of GB faves.

he didn't say a whole lot or show a whole lot of emotion but you knew it was just brewing underneath. Like someone mentioned here, it was all in the eyes. I was really broke up during the hug with Frankie.

The most powerful moment for me was after the dance, when they are walking along the pier. When Lizzie tells him that Frankie wasn't born deaf, it was a "present" from his father, his eyes and face are just...I don't have the words. Looking at him, you can't tell if he wants to sweep her up in a bear hug or go kill Davey bare-handed, but it's all in his eyes, right there, plain as day. Now, THAT is some acting! No tricks of voice or action or anything, just raw emotion shining in his eyes.

Yep, Dear Frankie is definitely one of my favourite favourite Gerry films. It was certainly the first film I saw of Gerry's and it just swept me away.

He is so hot, how can any guy be that hot ... and without even trying !!! :heat:

The extra features on the DVD are worth watching too ... I love the bit where the director explains the minute she met Gerry she just knew he was The Stranger ... very wise woman !!

he didn't say a whole lot or show a whole lot of emotion but you knew it was just brewing underneath. Like someone mentioned here, it was all in the eyes. I was really broke up during the hug with Frankie.

The most powerful moment for me was after the dance, when they are walking along the pier. When Lizzie tells him that Frankie wasn't born deaf, it was a "present" from his father, his eyes and face are just...I don't have the words. Looking at him, you can't tell if he wants to sweep her up in a bear hug or go kill Davey bare-handed, but it's all in his eyes, right there, plain as day. Now, THAT is some acting! No tricks of voice or action or anything, just raw emotion shining in his eyes.

Could not agree with you more, SOS! That scene (which I was fortunate enough to see initially on the big screen) and Gerry's display of reaction and emotion simply by his expression and those eyes. *sigh* I predicted on the spot that someday, someday, our Gerry WOULD receive an Oscar for Best Actor. I patiently wait while his career continues to blossom and unfold, but I believe that it will happen eventually. You just can't hide that kind of natural talent.

I have to say that even though there are some close, very close seconds, Dear Frankie must be my all-time favorite Gerry movie! In fact, I think I can go so far as to say it's my favorite movie, period. I never grow tired of watching it, and it never fails to leave me feeling better than I was feeling when I started it.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been almost three years to the day since I saw "Dear Frankie" at a movie theater across from Lincoln Center in NYC.

I'm not going to say it's my favorite Gerry movie.

I am going to say that it's probably my favorite film period.

It's as close to a perfect movie as I've ever seen. A well-written screenplay that never breaks down into syrupy cuteness. A top-notch cast in which every performer pulls his or her weight and balances the others. Beautiful photography. A lovely score that blends seamlessly into the images.

Movies this good are a rare thing.

i have to agree about this movie....unbelievable that it didnt get more awards than it did, my favorite scene was cut out though...the extended dance scene..KILLS ME everytime...

i have 2 favorite movies of all time, dear frankie and in my fathers den with matthew macfadyen.... they rotate on which one im watching...

• 2 months later...

I just finished watching Dear Frankie. I ran out of tissues! LOL

I do believe of all the Gerry movies I've seen, this one is definitly my favorite. I hope the stranger comes back to Lizzie and Frankie and somehow, I do believe he will. That kiss to Lizzie at the end was a promise of love.

:wuv:

DF is one of my top three Gerry films also. I love everything about it...the characters, the dialogue, the cinematography, the score, even the ending. It is just perfect. Gerry's portrayal of the Stranger was spot on...such exquisite subtlety.

• 3 weeks later...

I watched DF yesterday and this morning.

After not seeing it for awhile, I forgot how much I love that movie and how well it is done. :hearts:

I love to hear Gerry use his natural Scottish accent. :wuv:

I wish Gerry would do another movie with the director from Dear Frankie. It was so good I want to see something else that they create together. Not a sequel, just another movie. She was Scottish wasn't she? I just think they could make an Oscar winner. Maybe someday my dream will come true. I was also thinking I would LOVE to see DF on the big screen. There are some old theaters around my area that might take suggestions for movies to show. I'm going to look into it. Then I could take all my friends to see what a great actor he is.

One of the H.D. channels on Dish is featuring Dear Frankie all month. I had to watch yesterday. No matter how often I see that film, I still start to weep! THAT is good movie making!