Gerard Butler GALS

Guess who W magazine thinks will be Hollywood's hot new movie couple for 2008?

Xan

Gerry and Hillary?...............NOT. *drum roll* its .............George Clooney and Rene Zellwinger or however you spell her name! Talk about your missed opportunities. Where are Gerry's (and Hillary's for that matter) publicity agents? George and Rene got the cover of W and its BIG! I didn't even know they were making a movie together, but they are slated, according to W, to set Hollywood on fire next year. Seeing the mag made me so angry I also ripped it up. Do you have any idea how tired I am of seeing GC's smug mug on the cover of every magazine? (yeah, I know, over reaction), but damn it (see its made me curse). They can't even use a new photograph of GB for the effing People's mag. :tantrum:

What is this fascination with George Clooney and anyone who is associated with him??? I don't get it at all!!! I don't see it, for sure!! Even some of my sons' friends love him - one of his guy friends said that GC was the one guy he would kiss! HUH? :boink:

It's all about money and movie ticket sales. Nothing else. They don't know what we know . . . Hollywood needs a cliché, and that's all Clooney and his cronies are. That's why actors like Gerry, and Ed Harris and Don Cheadle, etc., aren't "cover boys". They're genuine. Not a cardboard cutout of something Hollywood-made, and thank GOD that Gerry isn't in that company!!!!! :whome2:

Lisa :hearts:

What is this fascination with George Clooney and anyone who is associated with him??? I don't get it at all!!! I don't see it, for sure!! Even some of my sons' friends love him - one of his guy friends said that GC was the one guy he would kiss! HUH? :boink:

It's all about money and movie ticket sales. Nothing else. They don't know what we know . . . Hollywood needs a cliché, and that's all Clooney and his cronies are. That's why actors like Gerry, and Ed Harris and Don Cheadle, etc., aren't "cover boys". They're genuine. Not a cardboard cutout of something Hollywood-made, and thank GOD that Gerry isn't in that company!!!!! :whome2:

EXACTLY! Excellent points and I completely agree.

I feel it Xan... but at the same time, I just have a feeling, that while Gerry would play along with all those Hollywood accolades from Mags and such, if he got them.... it's not really him. Do you know what I mean?

Sure, he wants to be a success, and he wants very much to have his work appreciated, but I have come to believe, that he is more about the acting and the roles, than he is about magazine covers.

I'm sick of the same old "posse" of stars getting all the attention, but so long as Gerry gets some decent roles, and continues to improve in his craft, I'll just keep ignoring the PTB in Hollywood, and enjoy the fact that Gerry can act circles around most of Hollywood's biggest leading men.

Swannie

I feel it Xan... but at the same time, I just have a feeling, that while Gerry would play along with all those Hollywood accolades from Mags and such, if he got them.... it's not really him. Do you know what I mean?

Sure, he wants to be a success, and he wants very much to have his work appreciated, but I have come to believe, that he is more about the acting and the roles, than he is about magazine covers.

I'm sick of the same old "posse" of stars getting all the attention, but so long as Gerry gets some decent roles, and continues to improve in his craft, I'll just keep ignoring the PTB in Hollywood, and enjoy the fact that Gerry can act circles around most of Hollywood's biggest leading men.

Swannie

Insightful as always, but I am a selfish little busybody and want Gerry VISIBLE on the covers of magazines like ...those other guys. I sometimes wonder why I am never attracted to the "hot" actors who DO have their faces everywhere. It must be great to be a fan of George, Brad, Tom, and Orlando, but I just don't get them. Kinda wish I did, so I wouldn't have unhappy "episodes" like this morning in the grocery store. :D

Guest DonnaKat

It must be great to be a fan of George, Brad, Tom, and Orlando, but I just don't get them. Kinda wish I did, so I wouldn't have unhappy "episodes" like this morning in the grocery store.

Yeah, but you'd also be broke because you'd be buying up everything you found their faces on. :D

Ditto to all of the above! :claphands:

It poses the question.... are we looking at the world through "Gerry-Colored-Glasses"?

I mean to say, we CAN'T be the only ones who see the "Gerriness"!

Sometimes it does feel that way!

I don't see how he doesn't garner more "A" list attention!

Is he not mean or contraversial enough? I think that is it, no arrests for beating his girlfriend, no trips to rehab, no driving with a baby on his lap, etc.

What do you GALS think?

Honestly I like George and I do think he's a great actor.

Never fear, you all know once PSILY comes out and they "discover" him, he'll be on the mags too.

Personally, I sort of like that he almost flies under the radar, but those in power in Hollywood not only know who he is, but know he's the go-to guy for a fantastic performance..plus we all know how great he is, magazines are great, but he's got the skills and that's even more important.

I'm not worried about it as long as Gerry keeps getting offered interesting roles in films that make him fulfilled and/or happy. I don't think he really cares all that much about "being seen" on magazine covers, because if he did he would have his publicity people hounding the rags for it and he'd be dating some high-profile celeb just to get photographed. I admire him for NOT going that route. I would rather put Gerry in the category of actors like Viggo Mortenson and Johnny Depp (yes, I know for POTC Johnny was seen alot) and Denzel Washington maybe even Daniel Day Lewis. These are actors who command the screen in whatever they do, and yet rarely are seen on the covers of magazines. Leave the covers to the same tired faces (not that some of them aren't good actors too), but how boring it is that Clooney and Pitt and Cruise and the likes are always seen.

Well George needs to retire hes an old man and I am sick of seeing his face everywhere I can't help it I am and especially that mag. they dont' know what Great is Betts

Well George needs to retire hes an old man and I am sick of seeing his face everywhere I can't help it I am and especially that mag. they dont' know what Great is Betts

George SAYS he is a serious actor and most agree with him, yet he also manages to get his face on everything from People to W to Esquire to Vanity Fair. Why can't Gerry? I think he is as handsome as George (handsomer IMO) and just as dedicated to his craft. Even media-shy Russell Crowe appears on many more mags than Gerry. He certainly is a serious actor. I still say something is wrong. Guess just better learn to like George, Brad, et.al. and forget about Gerry. At least I WOULD have mags to buy.

Well...

I gotta come to the defense of George 'cuz I love him....Posted Image

I've loved that guy ever since that show "Sisters." You know why? Because he's sexy and makes me laugh....AND....he can laugh at himself.

I also have to put my two cents in about G and fame....etc...

It's my opinion that he DOES, VERY much want fame....and recognition. Most of the time, he seems to enjoy having his picture taken by the press....likes doing interviews...going to parties in Hollywood....etc...

I think he would LOVE to be on the covers of magazines...OFTEN! Most actors want to be recognized and most have a pretty healthy ego... :D

If that's what Gerry wants then I guess he needs a new publicist. Between "300" and now having his picture on the posters and the books for PSILY his face is out there enough that a good publicist would be getting his picture on those magazine covers. I figure any magazine that DOESN'T feature Gerry saves me money that I can use to some better end - like maybe buying more tickets to see his movies when they are released - or buying more copies of the DVD's of his other movies for my friends. As long as he isn't on the cover of all the magazines he still has the option of "disappearing" when he chooses to - and while he may desire fame, achieving that level of it will mean he loses those chances to be invisible sometimes.

I have to agree with Pilar, I think after working so hard, any actor would want at the very least a crumb, a seed, a trickle of fame, they may say they don't, but the fringe benefits that go with it, while losing things, they also gain things, it's the proverbial double edged sword but ask them if they'd give up any of those benefits and I doubt they would, they are human after all.

I think after PS and all these other movies, he'll be on more magazines.

George deserves those magazines, he's talented, he's bankable, he's an Oscar winner, and he does have many a high profile movie coming out, and let's face it, other's may not agree--but he's also dead handsome.

Although I continue to defend the fact that it would be kinda nice to see Gerry a bit more acknowledged, I agree with Susan. If that's the kind of attention he wanted, he would have it. And one of the reasons we love him so much is because he's so genuine and a real guy, not a Hollywood plastic cut-out. No, that's not the guy we want.

So, maybe we should look at the situation differently, maybe from Gerry's POV? He wants to be known more for his roles, making a difference in the world through the movies he makes. Not as a cover boy. Would we really respect him as much if he was a publicity hungry cover boy? Probably not. George Clooney (who, by the way, I did like from Roseanne through ER, and it's only recently that I stopped liking him) has a great publicist who gets his mug on every cover he can. Good for George if that's the career he wants; then he's successful in his definition of it.

But success for Gerry is completely different. We look at these "oversights" as Gerry being slighted somehow. I did it myself with the Sexiest Man Alive thing (boy what a joke that is), and would have loved to have seen him been more than less a half page article. But, that's not really how Gerry see his career.

I've also said before that I kinda like having Gerry as "our little secret". And honestly, if he didn't get HUGE after 300, PSILY isn't going to do it, either. He will have a box office draw no matter what he does because of the quality of his work, not because he's a pretty boy on another cover of another magazine.

Just my opinion . . . .

I think Gerry will get his due. He seems to be getting more recognizable and I believe after this year he will be a force to contend with. Of course, he would want his work publicized but I dont think he wants to be a "cover-boy" flavor of the month guy that people get a little bored with after seeing them in every gossip rag or so called news item of the week. I can look at Britney Spears or George Clooney and get no reaction at all because they are so predictible. I find a pic of Gerry or hear his name mentioned and get completely weak in the knees because we never know what our guy is going to pull on us next,,,Let the world discover him at his pace....I still say he knows what he is doing...He is a smart man and seems to be quite happy with what he is accomplishing now....and from the sounds of it...he is taking a beating on his new film Games but loving every minute of it. Now, thats what I call doing what makes him happy...and if he's happy....we're happy huh gals?

Guest greyeyegoddess

I don't think that being on these rag mags will be giving Gerry his dues. I don't think they do much to further someone's career, and in the end...people get tired of seeing the same faces-as many of you have said. You may not get tired of seeing Gerry's face, but non-fans will tire. (omigosh...she didn't say that!!)

I prefer more intimate and in depth interviews than pinup boy pictures or ragmags.

I agree with Susan in that I am glad that there's a break of published media with Gerry in it. You beat me to it. I spent way too much for 300.

I'd love to see Gerry win the SMA or something like that, but I'd rather see his movies make money and see Gerry win awards from within the industry, because I feel that's where the real kudos shine.

I have no qualms about George, Brad, Tom, Johnny, and whoever. Their fans are happy with their talent, too. They are good actors.

If Gerry continues the way he's been going, there's no stopping him and we all get to take the ride with him.

~alice

:music:

Leave the covers to the same tired faces (not that some of them aren't good actors too), but how boring it is that Clooney and Pitt and Cruise and the likes are always seen.

Amen sista TIRED FACES indeed. I will never understand the appeal of George Clooney or Tom Cruise. No amount of brainwashing will ever make me see the appeal of these man. I'm not a fan of Brad Pitt, but I've enjoyed a few more BP movies than the other two combined. He's pretty clever in his humor and I like it. I'm not looking to see Gerry on every magazine cover or on every talk show or showing his face at every party. That would be overkill after awhile and I want him to have staying power. Fine, People Magazine are idiots and they don't make him SMA, their loss. I rather he continue to make good movies, and do solid interviews. As much as I would love to see new Gerry pictures in the mags I'll settle for his fine acting ability. His fine looks are a given. :heat:

Cassie

Amen sista TIRED FACES indeed. I will never understand the appeal of George Clooney or Tom Cruise.

I don't understand their appeal either. Well, Tom Cruise was charismatic and fantastic when he was younger, but not anymore. But about Gerry not being high demand, well I think it's good in the long run. If he gets too popular and famous, then he might lose some of his sweetness, and become egotistical. And of course then he won't be our little secret anymore. :kisswink::tantrum: But then on the other, hand I do want a sexy picture of him once in awhile, or at least some recognition. Oh well. If he's happy, then so I am. :kiss:

If magazine covers etc are based mostly on box office then Gerry should have a better year next year than Clooney. I've read several articles on Clooney's movie with Rene Z(see EW most recently) that say it's just awful and his last movie(which critics like)didn't do well at the box office either. On the other hand most things I've read on PSILY say it's good and should do great at the box office and Gerry will have other movies out next year too. I say his coverguy days are still ahead! :claphands:

I think Gerry deserves to be on all the magazine covers and posters that are out there, but being a rather selfish creature, I'd kind of like to keep him to ourselves. He's sort of like our little secret. We know he's wonderful and he knows and acknowledges that his on line fans are fantastic. What more could a fan ask for. As long as he's making movies I'm a happy camper!

Sam