Gerard Butler GALS

No One Would Listen

phoenixgirl

I truly hope this is the right place to post this.

Does anyone know why in the WORLD they took out Gerry's "No One Would Listen" solo? Good Lord, it's so sexy and sad!

I just downloaded the song and am making my own POTO soundtrack CD. I have no idea where it goes, but based upon what he's wearing, I put it right before "All I Ask Of You". Think that's the right place? I also downloaded "you little lying Pandora . . ." :D I love hearing him yell that at her!

Thanks!

Lisa :hearts:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Lisa,

This is the perfect place to ask this question. I wish I had an answer for you. I've wondered that same thing myself. I wish it had been played at least in the closing credits of the movie if the decision had been made to not include it in the body of the film.

As to why not? :confused: Perhaps it would have made him too human at that point and maybe less scary for him to show his emotions like that. But I think his humanity was so absolutely evident already I'm not sure that would have made a difference.

I'm looking forward to hearing what others have to say about this.

Well, I for one absolutely adore "No One Would Listen".....Its such a beautiful and heartbreaking soliloquay. and I know it always brings a tear to my eye when I hear it. It is a shame that the song ended up not being used in the movie. I guess I can understand why they did not use it, but still...its unfortunate. Because, I really think that in NOWL, all of the Phantoms pain, frustration, desire, etc are so eloquently expressed and summed up.

oh and its "you little Prying Pandora" lol

I truly hope this is the right place to post this.

Does anyone know why in the WORLD they took out Gerry's "No One Would Listen" solo? Good Lord, it's so sexy and sad!

I just downloaded the song and am making my own POTO soundtrack CD. I have no idea where it goes, but based upon what he's wearing, I put it right before "All I Ask Of You". Think that's the right place? I also downloaded "you little lying Pandora . . ." :D I love hearing him yell that at her!

Thanks!

Lisa :hearts:

I Loved "The Little Lying Pandora Too!"

I Dunno Why They Didn't Put That On The Soundtrack????

Yeah, I figured out I wrote the wrong line after I wrote it - sorry about that.

I guess that makes sense not wanting Erik to seem too sympathetic. Well, luckily for us it's on the extra DVD, and now on my CD!

Lisa

It's On The Extra DVD??? Wow I Have Too Find It Then I've Got That DVD....

Hi Phoenixgirl :wave:

I too made my own Phantom soundtrack. I bought the 2-disc CD and then proceeded to copy all of it except the crap part w/ Joseph Bouqet. NOWL should go after the swordfight or before We've All Been Blind. It was supposed to go in the movie after the Chapel scene w/ Raoul & Christine and just before Erik prepares for Don Juan. I hope this helps.

btw~ the tune after Erik does Why So Silent is also NOWL

Edited by Knight Phantom

No, dammit. There are NONE left now! :( Waahhh. And my son was going to get it for me for Chanukah!

Oh well, I'll get one from a non-Amazon customer. Thanks for the heads up!!

Lisa

I'm Sorry & You're Welcome....I'd Share W/ U If I Could Phoenixgirl!

I read about this topic some place that the song didn't fit anywhere in the movie. So they took it out. They also mentioned that the phantom already gained sympathy from the audience. So they didn't think that the song needed to be added to make us feel compassionate towards him.

the song plays on my dvd, so i guess im one of the lucky ones to have the 2 disc dvd???

the song at the end of the soundtrack, doesnt sound to me like it's to the tune of NOWL, i think its an original by minnie, the song title "learn to be lonely" ill have to check my cd for credits....and come back to this thread.....

Nance, listen to it again, and this time hear the words of NOWL. You'll hear it's the same exact tune. :)

Thanks for all the responses. Whatever the reason, I'm glad I Netflixed the second DVD! I also won the two-disc version on e-Bay, and found some non-Amazon sellers for the CD.

You're all so wonderful for all your help and knowledge of everything Gerry!

Hugs and Love!!

Lisa

Hey sweetiepie..... I can't remember where I heard this...but, I thought the song/deleted scene was supposed to be on the stairs, just before Mr. Red Death (lol) rips Christine's engagement ring (on a chain) off of her neck...if you listen, there are a few notes of the music right there. I think it would have made sense, in a "cutaway" ...showing the reason why the Phantom loved her so much and then, why he was so incensed at her "betrayal" with Raoul.

Just supposition on my part...and I just love that song **so** much.....Gerry puts his heart and soul and guts into singing it...and it is a shame...a crying shame...that No One GOT to Listen.

xoxoxoCheri

Hey sweetiepie..... I can't remember where I heard this...but, I thought the song/deleted scene was supposed to be on the stairs, just before Mr. Red Death (lol) rips Christine's engagement ring (on a chain) off of her neck...if you listen, there are a few notes of the music right there. I think it would have made sense, in a "cutaway" ...showing the reason why the Phantom loved her so much and then, why he was so incensed at her "betrayal" with Raoul.

Just supposition on my part...and I just love that song **so** much.....Gerry puts his heart and soul and guts into singing it...and it is a shame...a crying shame...that No One GOT to Listen.

xoxoxoCheri

Nope it wouldn't be there, if you see the scene in the extras it's sung with the Phantom alone in his lair. I am almost positive Knight Phantom is right about the originally intended placement. Just by the shirt he is wearing in the scene. It's the same one for Don Juan.

And it is exactly the same song as Learn To Be Lonely, only different words. I hate the words to LTBL though.

Thanks so much! Now I have to re-do the CD that I made for myself. It makes sense, based upon the shirt, that it would be before Don Juan. The only other song I can't find to download is Why So Silent. Grrr.

I so relate to No One Would Listen - it's so sad.

Thanks everyone!

Lisa

Thanks everyone!

Lisa

You know, it really is a very beautiful song. I walk around humming and singing it all of the time. I always get asked what it is? He is so sweet.

Thanks everyone!

Lisa

You know, it really is a very beautiful song. I walk around humming and singing it all of the time. I always get asked what it is? He is so sweet.

It's really a love song, when you think about it. "No one would listen . . . no one but her . . ." so beautiful and sad.

Lisa

Now, Everytime I Hear This Song I Cry...I'm Reading A Book Called "Beyond The Masque" It's About Christine Leaving Raoul And Going Back To Erik...How I Wished That Were True...Now I'm Hearing Talk That Andrew Llyod Webber Making A Part 2 To POTO....It's Supposed To Take Place In Manhattan...Now I Don't Know If This Is True Or Not...I Read A Message/Post On IMDB....Personally, I Hope This Never Happens.....Now Back To "Beyond The Masque" I Highly Recommed It...It's An Awesome Novel & Erik Is SUCH A Gentleman!

Okie dokie then, I will admit that I never should even hazard a guess about the *timeline* (pardon the pun :D ) cuz as many times as I have seen the movie, my brain is still a bit mushy about those kinda details. :bonk:

Anyway...I just cannot tell you in words big and beautiful enough how much I love that song though...the first time I heard it, I felt like time literally stopped...and my heart was both *broken* for the Phantom's pain and *overflowing with JOY* to hear the beautiful tenderness in Gerry's voice as he poured his heart into the song. That it was not in the original theatrical release still *hurts me* that so many did not have the opportunity (and still don't, :grrr2: dagnabbit!!) to see him singing this gorgeous song on the Big Screen where it *belongs*...sorry for the mini-rant, it still just drives me NUTS! or, nuttier than I already am...LOL

I wrote a poem especially for Gerry as a Thank You for *No One Would Listen*~~ Just thought I would share it here for those of you who might not have seen it before...

and Thank You Lisa for starting this thread. :yourock:

xoxoxoxCheri

:erikrose:

No one would listen....

his broken heart,

so long hidden from the world~~

only revealed through his precious music...

every beat of his heart

in every note that she sings....

Is there anyone who ever

will hear him....?

could it be....

Christine?

He wonders....

in the most secret dreams

of his lonely hours...

Imagining himself *safe*,

at long last,

in the loving embrace

of the one who can finally

truly *see*

beyond his mask...

Where is that one

who will hear,

at last,

every anguished cry

in the deep, still darkness~~

of one who has been so long

denied

even the simplest moments

of human kindness?

No one would listen...

and he trembles in memory

of each vicious blow

and every cruel word

is branded forever

upon his memory....

searing and burning and

scarring his very soul~

and there is no mask

which can hide these wounds....

no mask

which protects him from the pain

of losing

her.

No would listen...

as he tenderly ties

the blackest of ribbon

upon that rose so red...

pouring out the aching

of his endless longing

into the Music

of the Night...

beseeching her...

hear me!!

Hear my heart,

hear this love

which longs to be revealed.

See me!!

See the man who dwells

in infinite sorrow...

yearning to be blessed

with one moment

of compassion,

of tenderness,

of acceptance,

of Love.

No one would listen...

and still

his broken heart

sings the songs of the angels...

whispering a

prayer

to be free,

at last,

from the prison

of a lifetime

alone.

~~~Cheri Gray Pierce

July 2006

Okay, I'm sticking to my original thought . . .

I switched the DVD right before Don Juan, and it doesn't fit at all. He has on the white mask in NOWL. It HAS to come before All I Ask Of You, but before the opera and before he changes Carlotta's voice to that froggie voice. If you look at what he's wearing, and the "toys" on his dressing table, that's where it fits.

Besides, there's no way it would come after the cemetery scene. He's too pissed off at her at that point.

Yeah, I spend way too much time on this . . .

I bought the 2 disc CD from iTunes, and I added NOWL that I "obtained". This is how I now have the playlist. What do you think of where I put NOWL?? I'd like some opinions before I burn the CD.

Prologue 2:48

Medley: Overture / Hannibal 7:26

Think of Me 6:34

Angel of Music 3:00

Medley: Little Lotte / The Mirror (Angel of Music) 4:11

The Phantom of the Opera 4:23

The Music of the Night 5:39

Magical Lasso 1:19

Medley: I Remember / Stranger Than You Dreamt It 3:21

Medley: Notes... / Prima Donna 10:04

Poor Fool, He Makes Me Laugh 6:13

No One Would Listen 2:24

Medley: Why Have You Brought Me Here / Raoul I've Been There 3:04

All I Ask of You 4:52

All I Ask of You (Reprise) 2:55

Medley: Masquerade / Why So Silent 8:39

Medley: Madame Giry's Tale / The Fairground 3:29

Journey to the Cemetery 3:30

Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again 3:41

Wandering Child 1:47

The Swordfight 1:49

We Have All Been Blind 3:55

Don Juan 4:01

Medley: The Point of No Return / Chandelier Crash 6:44

Medley: Down Once More / Track Down This Murderer 14:33

Learn to Be Lonely 2:27

Lisa

Edited by phoenixgirl

Okay, I'm sticking to my original thought . . .

I switched the DVD right before Don Juan, and it doesn't fit at all. He has on the white mask in NOWL. It HAS to come before All I Ask Of You, but before the opera and before he changes Carlotta's voice to that froggie voice. If you look at what he's wearing, and the "toys" on his dressing table, that's where it fits.

Besides, there's no way it would come after the cemetery scene. He's too pissed off at her at that point.

Yeah, I spend way too much time on this . . .

I bought the 2 disc CD from iTunes, and I added NOWL that I "obtained". This is how I now have the playlist. What do you think of where I put NOWL?? I'd like some opinions before I burn the CD.

Prologue 2:48

Medley: Overture / Hannibal 7:26

Think of Me 6:34

Angel of Music 3:00

Medley: Little Lotte / The Mirror (Angel of Music) 4:11

The Phantom of the Opera 4:23

The Music of the Night 5:39

Magical Lasso 1:19

Medley: I Remember / Stranger Than You Dreamt It 3:21

Medley: Notes... / Prima Donna 10:04

Poor Fool, He Makes Me Laugh 6:13

No One Would Listen 2:24

Medley: Why Have You Brought Me Here / Raoul I've Been There 3:04

All I Ask of You 4:52

All I Ask of You (Reprise) 2:55

Medley: Masquerade / Why So Silent 8:39

Medley: Madame Giry's Tale / The Fairground 3:29

Journey to the Cemetery 3:30

Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again 3:41

Wandering Child 1:47

The Swordfight 1:49

We Have All Been Blind 3:55

Don Juan 4:01

Medley: The Point of No Return / Chandelier Crash 6:44

Medley: Down Once More / Track Down This Murderer 14:33

Learn to Be Lonely 2:27

Lisa

I'm Glad You Found What You Were Looking For Lisa! :D

That sounds *pairrrrrfect* Lisa...

but, if it was my CD, I would take OFF "Learn to be Lonely" cuz that song is just like fingernails on a chalkboard to meeee...just my little ole opinion and a Ginormous *sorry* to all you LTBL *phans* out there.....

Love you and miss you sweetie!!

Ginormously Even.

xoxoxoCheri