Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Abrock

General "PS I Love You" Discussion Thread

So, here be a discussion thread!

THIS WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS.

Warning over. :D

I'm still digesting the film, but as a whole... loved it. Loved Gerry and Hilary together, loved loved LOVED it...

Discuss away!

Thanks for creating this Mel! :D

Overall, i really enjoyed the movie. i cried twice, which i NEVER do in movies, ever! My guy came with me, and he said he really liked it too (which was surprising b/c i was worried about it being to chick-flicky for him).

i really don't understand all of the negative reviews - i thought G & H had fantastic chemistry. My only main issue with the movie was harry connick jr.'s character. he's a fantastic actor but i just thought it was a wasted character and didn't really do anything to enhance the plot, just to lengthen the movie more than necessary. Willy and i both thought that when he and Hilary didn't hook up.

that was our only main issue, other than that i was so pleasantly surprised by my emotional reaction to it. i friggin' lost it when she called his voicemail over and over to hear his voice and when she sang her emotional karaoke.

i friggin' lost it when she called his voicemail over and over to hear his voice and when she sang her emotional karaoke.

Oh, me too!! Wasn't that heartwrenching?

I already posted that I LOVED this movie over on a PSILY Screenings thread, but I'll be happy to say it again - I LOVED this movie! :claphands: It was a total emotional rollercoaster and that makes a movie interesting and makes it move well. There were only a couple of parts of the movie that I thought dragged a bit but overall I thought the movie was well done. After seeing it, I went home and hugged my own husband a bit harder. :smooch:

Well, I just got home from seeing the movie with 2 other GALS and my nephew's wife who I believe is one step closer to giving in to the "G-factor"........I absolutely loved the movie!!!!We all did!!!Gerry was perfect!!!!!Every time he was on the screen , my heart would pound......I'd have to say my fave moments of Gerry were the couch singing scene and the whole "first kiss" scene...yes, I would have loved to see"Mr.Pinky", but it was fine...Gerry's character was gentle and loving, just like his kisses....he still put everything into them, you could tell.I'm surprised to say I only cried once and teared up one other...I never even used a tissue!!!!I cried when Holly broke down to her mother and I teared up when Holly was singing to only Gerry and he looked liked he was going to cry and he closed his eyes......I laughed so much.....almost immediately when the first scene started, I was laughing....I loved everything about it and I can't wait to go again...my hubby wants to see it, so we may do a Christmas Eve show......Merry Gerry Christmas to me!!!!oh....and when they showed Gerry's name on the screen at the beginning....I let out a WoooHoooo!!!I was proudly wearing my 300 t-shirt and my Gerry buttons.

Oh gosh, Stef... those two points in the film got me, too... my poor mom was bawling next to me! :hearts:

I need to see it again... I think in the morning I'll be more than ready for a second helping...

~Mel

Okay, I was thinking (and this will happen a ton... I'll remember something else and then come back and post it) that I love how Holly's "first kiss" with each of the three guys were all awkward in some way! Gerry putting his hand to his mouth and saying, "Ow" was my favorite... and yes, I'm biased! :lol:

Susan~Sporran said there were three or four things that GB fans would pick up on as funnier or whatnot than the rest of the crowd. I only really saw one... and that was the Vampire Slayer comment. Denise does call a couple of Irish girls "tarts," but that was hardly a compliment, so...

Anyone else?

~Mel

i don't think this counts but there was one pic of Gerry during the title credits where it looks like he's screaming and i said to willy "this is spartaaaaaa!" when i saw it b/c that's what it made me think of :D

LOL, I remember that picture, Stef!! Now that's what I'll think of every time I see it!

Since you mentioned issues with Daniel, Stef, here are my thoughts on it! (sorry, too many years in college writing papers and making arguments in said papers... :D )

Well, first off, Daniel was a very key player in the book. Their relationship was similar to that of the film, but Daniel's personality in the book was closer to William's personality in the movie. Anyway, Daniel was quite important in helping Holly move on, because she broke that barrier of getting emotionally close to someone again. With William, she broke the physical barrier *dooooon't say it* but she hadn't really tried her hand at sharing her life with someone, because Ireland was a vacation... William was temporary. But Daniel was much more permanent. It was extremely important for her to step up to the plate and decide she could try a relationship again.

The fact that they didn't work together was awesome... mostly because it kicked formula to the curb! In the book, it is also by mutual decision that they don't end up together, though the circumstances were different. So, in that aspect, they were being true to the book, which I was glad... I didn't want a formulaic ending, hooray!

Dang it, who got me on this writing tangent?? :spit::D

~Mel

thank you for your explanation Mel! I didn't read the book, so i had no idea. I guess the reason I felt that way about Daniel was b/c it seemed so one-sided, and i didn't get the feeling she was all that emotionally connected with him or anything. to me, he was just someone that was there in her life. i am glad too that they didn't end up together as in a formulaic way (i pretty muched guessed she would go back to ireland and eventually see william), but again, i was just perplexed by the whole thing b/c i never saw any chemistry between them (her & daniel).

ouch, my head hurts from analyzing LOL i guess i should see it again too to help clear out my cobwebs :D

Well, if we MUST see it again, we MUST... *heavy sigh* Oh, the PAIN we inflict upon ourselves! :lol:

I saw Daniel as the ever-present guy friend that a girl can talk to, one she knows would like something more, but she would rather ignore that for the time being. Then it clicks in her head... hey, I can talk to this guy! He even kinda gets me! Maybe I should try this...?

That doesn't happen to me often... but I'm kind of in the middle of that right now myself...

~Mel

So I just came back from my 2nd viewing of the movie (the first was back in November) and I cried just as much! I am really not that much of a crier, I can't even remember the last movie I cried at. For some reason this movie gets me everytime and the point where I really start to break down is when she calls his phone to hear his voice mail over and over again. I went with some of my closest friends and my mom and they all loved it! It is honestly one of my favorite movies, even without Gerry (it's hard to imagine) I love it. I was never a huge Hilary fan but after this movie I really do love her.

After the special viewing in Novemeber I turned one of my friends into a HUGE Gerry fan. We balled our eyes out tonight (again!) and went to her house to watch Phantom of the Opera afterward.

I just love Gerry's character and am glad it showed the rest of the world some of the Gerry Juice!

Swannie, reporting in from Portland OR!

I saw the movie this afternoon with my mom and sister. In the past few days, I have been culling through all the reviews (mostly negative) and so I must be honest and say, that I did not expect to love this movie. I knew Gerry would be good, but based on all the terrible comments reviewers have made (especially regarding Hilary's performance) I thought the movie would disappoint me.

Boy was I WRONG!

Am I friggen nuts? Have I lost my mind, or are there two DIFFERENT PSILY movies out there? Because What I saw with my own eyes, and what I read in the reviews CANNOT be about the same movie!

First off, I heard crap about the opening scene; about how shrill it was, and about how both characters came off badly in that scene. I sat there with my mind blown as that scene played out exactly like some of the arguments hubby and I have had in OUR married life. That scene was written just like a real argument, where you're not even sure how the argument started, and each person TOTALLY misunderstands the other. It felt so REAL to me. I thought the timing and acting in that scene was brilliantly played by both Gerry and Hilary.

Many reviewers hate the abruptness of Gerry's death, and I wonder if they have brains, because DUH! That was the whole point. The audience was SUPPOSED to feel the same abruptness Holly did, in losing her husband. That is what the death of a loved one feels like. If the film had including an ailing Gerry, and a death scene, it would have felt like a movie of the week or a Soap Opera, but as it was done, we are left stunned just like Holly.

Moving on from there, I assure you, I could write a 10 page review of this film. I cried off and on through the entire thing! I'll tell you why: because my hubby is 11 years older than me, and I know if I lost my Bill, I would do everything Holly did. I would make a shrine of his belongings, and I would be utterly lost. She made it so real... and for me, thinking about the uncertain future, it was personally painful, but also beautiful to watch Holly cling to his memory.

I love all the other characters who inhabit Holly's world! I love quirky characters and I loved Holly's sister!

There were many surprises for me in the film, and I really fell in love with Holly as the movie played on. I loved her quirks, and again, she felt so real to me.

Now to Gerry... GOOD GAWD ALMIGHTY! He blew my mind and made me fall madly in love with Gerry Kennedy. You know, light just pours out from him! He is so lit up and full of life! I love the various shades of his character, and once again, although his Gerry looked a lot like OUR Gerry.... he made Gerry Kennedy a person separate from Gerry Butler the actor. My mom, and my sister went nuts over his performance in this film, and that scene on the road in Ireland when they first met, simply knocked me flat. He is so romantic and gorgeous, and full of charm and blarney... that you MUST ADORE HIM!

I LOVED this movie, and I am seeing it again tomorrow with my hubby. I just hope word of mouth gets tons of people in the theater!

Our showing was the first of the day, and the theater was nearly full! All women, except for one guy!

I tell you, this movie is going to make Gerry a MOVIE STAR!

Like many, I felt the movie was a bit too long.... but that is really the only criticism I have at this first viewing.

Swannie

I saw the movie this afternoon with my mom and sister. In the past few days, I have been culling through all the reviews (mostly negative) and so I must be honest and say, that I did not expect to love this movie. I knew Gerry would be good, but based on all the terrible comments reviewers have made (especially regarding Hilary's performance) I thought the movie would disappoint me.

Boy was I WRONG!

Am I friggen nuts? Have I lost my mind, or are there two DIFFERENT PSILY movies out there? Because What I saw with my own eyes, and what I read in the reviews CANNOT be about the same movie!

I'm with you, Swannie! I'm completely at a loss as to what these critics are reviewing! :bonk: I LOVED the first scene, and even though I'm not married, I also thought it was true to life, and it didn't sour me on the characters at all! Their make-up make-out (hehe) was beautiful, hilarious and just plain fun to watch.

One of my favorite scenes is when he's playing guitar in the living room, singing softly. GAH, I almost died... and also when she's remembering him getting ready for work in the morning, and running late no less... chatting with her, winking at her, running water (or gel?) through his hair, grabbing his shoes while his collar is still unfolded with his tie already done... the everyday mundane stuff we take for granted. *waaaah*

I've loved Hilary Swank since Million Dollar Baby, and I'll say again what I said at the first... when I heard Gerry and she were paired up for this film, I was so excited!! I knew that for a romantic comedy(ish), Gerry should be paired with an established dramatic actress who had a flare for comedy. And that's exactly what Hilary is! Not only did they not disappoint, I was blown away! Their chemistry was very believable and real.

~Mel

I saw it for the second time. I still had that excitement of the anticipation of the start of the movie. But then I settled down and tried to watch from the perspective of a movie-goer, not just a Gerry-crazed fan, or a sister thinking of her deceased brother.

I still loved it. I still cried, but not in as many places. And yes, I still felt hopeful at the end.

I still think that Holly and Gerry had great chemistry. My heart ached when she, half asleep, told Gerry to cut the light off, because Wayne and I have the very same little 'joke' about the last one in bed being the one who has to be sure all the lights are off. Wayne would sooo do exactly like Gerry and milk his 'injury' for all it's worth, and I would definitely be like Holly and stump my toe getting back into bed! This is a pairfect example of the magic of having laughter through tears throughout this movie!

Gerry's encouraging Holly to seek her creative artistic side was another aspect that touched me. And out of the ashes of Holly's great loss, she found her artistry again, thanks to Gerry's coaxing letters. Yes, she lost the love of her life and nothing would change or minimize that terrible loss. But she didn't just roll up into a ball and die (even though at times she wanted to).

Yes, I still cried, and had red eyes and red nose when I looked into the theater's bathroom mirror

post-showing, but I still feel that it was a positive experience.

When we finally get to see the scene where they first meet on the road, and share their first, second, and third kisses, well, that's the part I was referring to as experiencing the Gerry magic. It is where our Gerry transforms himself so much into the character that he pulls me into his eyes and takes me through to the center of his soul! It's like the river walk scene in DF, or the dying scene in 300, where I absolutely drown in Gerry's performance! Life as I knew it, changed forever. :lol:

I know there are those who are disappointed that there was not more 'proper snogs', and as a Gerry fan, yes, I would have loved some down and dirty Mr. Pinky full-on snogging. I think that the kiss in the bar probably involved tongues, we just couldn't see it (dang it).

But with that said, I found the kisses to be very romantic and sexy. I loved when they 'made up' and he was talking softly to Holly while kissing her at the same time and calling her baby and apologizing. And when he brushed her hair back and said that he still loved waking up every morning knowing he would see her face! Pairfect! I loved that kiss on the road when after the lengthy kiss, he kissed her top lip and then her bottom lip. I guess I really like lip action!

And OMG, that hug he gives her 'post life' in bed when he cuddles up behind her and says I'm here all around you, or something to that effect, and he has his hand over her hand, and draws her up tighter against him. *sigh* All of those moments made me misty in ways that tongue-snogs don't cover.

Oh and here's the rotten tomatoes part from me. I did not care for SOME of Gerry's singing! I thought the Mustang Sally scene was reminiscent of 300, because he was really just shouting the song, off pitch. However, Gerry K. was 'drinking' pretty freely, too, and I think that the not so stellar singing was appropriate for the scene! (BTW, I loved his husbandly reactions to his Holly getting down on stage! Kind of like, OMG, that's my wife, and even I haven't seen that side to her!)

I LOVED Galway Girl and I REALLY LOVED him singing "Love You Till the End" in the apartment sans shirt and with guitar! I believe this is the part where Gerry really was playing the guitar, and the one that he had worked so hard on in order to get all the chords correct.

About the kisses. I loved those married kisses in first scene, when they kissed and talked at the same time. I found those talking kisses even more intimate and familiar than full on tongue kisses. Those kisses were more than sexual... they were the everyday communication married people enjoy.

The kisses on the road gave me shivers. These two had just met, so their kisses were shy at first, and with the third kiss, the lips were very soft and giving. I loved how he kissed her. He was a gentleman, as he SHOULD have been.... but the 3rd kiss rocked my world.

Katie, all the scenes you mentioned are still on my heart. I can't wait to see it again this afternoon!

Swannie

I saw it for the 3rd time last night with about 14 of my dearest FANmily members, our local SiSTARhood of Gerry lovers. We filled an entire row of the theater (which was pretty well full, but it was a small theater). The great thing about this movie is EVERY time I see it I still laugh out loud at the funny stuff. It isn't full of one-time jokes that get you the first time and then fall flat the next. It appeared to me that everyone in the theater really enjoyed it - there were big laughs, and lots of sniffles coming from other parts of the theater besides our Gerry-lovers row (I still haven't cried but I think I was the only one in my group who did not).

I loved the same things that everyone else has mentioned, and agree about the Mustang Sally part but think it was supposed to sound bad because he was supposed to be pretty drunk. The reactions to Holly being on stage cracked me up and when he started bouncing in his chair we were just roaring! Then in the hospital when he says "give me a kiss" and she is so battered from the fall, my ears heard the rest of the sentence "you know you wanna!" which is what his Mum told us last year in Glasgow he used to say to her when he was a kid and got into trouble.

My favorite moment of the whole movie is Gerry singing quietly to Holly in the living room with his shirt off. His voice is so beautiful in that scene it melts my heart. I loved Gerry getting ready for work and seeing some of the "300" 6-pack when he is shirtless in the mirror. For my favorite extended scene, the whole thing from when they first meet on the road to where she walks away with his jacket is just PRICELESS. For one I could just watch Gerry walk for hours - and I could watch him kiss that way for hours, even without Mr. Pinkie (who probably would have been inappropriate in that initial exploring kiss).

Oh, and I am still crushing on JDM, as are most of my GAL friends. There is a lot of Gerry-ish-ness to him. Did anyone else see the trailer to his new movie "An Accidental Husband" with Uma Thurman and Colin Firth. That is going to be a "must see" for me!

My husband hasn't seen the movie yet and we have tickets to a stage show this afternoon and I'm hoping I can convince him that we should see the movie after that gets out. I think he is going to really like it. We'll see it New Years Eve with my mom and her boyfriend too.

BTW - am I the first to notice that a scene from the trailers is NOT in the movie? I thought about it on 2nd viewing but then thought maybe it happened and I missed it. So I watched for it last night and it is not in the finished film. It is the scene where Holly and her sister are sitting in the karaoke club and Holly says "I feel like Gerry is guiding me" and her sister says "I wish I had a dead guy telling me what to do." Am I crazy, or is that part not in the movie (or do I just tend to dose off temporarily at that moment?)

Good morning.

I got to go with IRISH to PSILY yesterday afternoon...oh what a wonderful afternoon. We laughed, we talked, we sniffed --- and the movie! Well, it was just amazing.

Susan, I didn't see the "wish I had a dead guy guiding me" scene either! I hadn't thought about it at all until I just read your post. Most strange.

I had been a great fan of the book and was completely worried in seeing these reviews. What is that all about? Scrooge writing them and not exactly in a holiday mood? I know 'chick flicks' have a bad rap (whether called that or RoMo or 'date movies')....but I do know understand them at all. I got choked up, welled up, went drippy in the eyes, and absolutely adored the karaoke scenes. (well, and the addition of a guest starring role to a very nice butt...)

I felt that the part of John (Gerry's best friend) got underplayed. I realize that there never is time for it all, but John really hurts at the loss of Gerry...and that is part of what Holly has to do, learn that others absolutely are devastated.

Best visual bit for me though was the urn and it traveling with her. It's silly I know, but every time it showed up on screen (down to the credit to the urn artist) I was giggling helplessly.

I can hardly wait to go back, although I will have to wait until after the holiday (what with traveling plans). I look forward to reading more of what you all have to say!

Jill

I FORGOT ---durrrrrrr

I absoluely adored that opening sequence that went from the silent treatment - to barbed comments to full out fight and all that implies. That was so funny and so real that it felt like someone had been eavesdropping!!!! GOOD GRIEF......that was just a riot the way that unfolded. I really loved Gerry mugging into the mirror with her shoe in her hand.....almost as much as the strip tease ---

no --- the strip tease wins, hands down!

Jill

Well I talked my son's fiance out of going to see Johnny Depp in Sweeney Todd. The younger ladies seem to love him. I myself don't see it but whatever..... :confused: The theatre we were in was full and a large mix of young to old, teens, men, women, etc. I was quite surprised to see so many men there. I could not wait to sit down with my popcorn and watch a great movie. I was not disappointed. Yes there were some awkward scenes in the movie, but I watched a movie that was full of emotion and feelings; good, bad, wonderful and sad. My favorite scenes had to be all the ones in Ireland. I loved the fishing boat scene and agree with others that the roadside scene with Gerry and Hilary top them all. :yummy: My son's fiance say kept saying he is so sexy. I did want to say that there were three ladies sitting to my left and I asked them if they were Gerard Butler fans and they looked at me like who's that and then responded with a No. I told them if they weren't now they would be by the end of the film. When it was over one of them turned to me and said "You were right, I am a big fan now." I just lauged and said I knew it....I score this movie a :tens:

Tojo :D

Well I just got home about 15 mins ago and I didn't see the movie. I got sick while out and now I'm in bed surfing the net. I'll be seeing it hopefully again tomorrow. I want to see it again to get a different perspective of it. As stated above, I was watching it truly as a Gerry fan and now I want to see it as just an interested movie goer w/no pre-conceived ideas. I think going to see it by myself will help.

I read the nasty review on the other thread and I'm not sure what that man had for breakfast before he wrote it but he really needs to chill. All of these critics need to chill. I can understand if you don't like the movie that's fine. But, when you bash it to the point of just being nasty it feels like a personal attack more than a negative review. I was thinking about it and I think the reason why so many reviews are in the negative is because of Hiliary Swank. I'm not saying her performance was bad, I just think due to her being a double Oscar winner they felt that her performance needed to be on the same scale and when it didn't meet their expectations they decided that the movie wasn't worth it. I think if a few of these critics were to see the movie w/a more movie goer seeing a movie perspective and not as a critic about to watch an Oscar winner shine they may actually find that they like this movie for what it's. It's a love story there's bound to be a little sap to it. If you don't like sap then don't go see movies like this. But if you do decide to see it knowing you don't like sap then don't blast it for having it. I walked out of this movie wondering what the heck were these critics thinking!

Overall, I loved it and I'm hoping to be able to see it again tomorrow. I've already reserved its place w/the other Gerry movies when it comes out on dvd. No telling how many times I will watch it after it's in my grubby little hands. Knowing I will be able to pause and put certain scenes in slo mo is making me smile. ~sigh~

Cassie

Cassie, I'm sorry you're not feeling well.

I was truly mortified and angered by some of the critic's personal insults against Hilary. One "critic" rudely commented that she looks like a horse! Can you believe that? I really feel bad about how they are blasting her in this movie, and I hope she just ignores these ugly cynics.

My hope is, that after the initial first 2 days of the film's opening, word of mouth will spread, and people will ignore the critics, and come out in droves.

I've heard a few fans saying they were turned off by the fact, that Holly was complaining about living in a small apartment, when apparently in NY, her apartment would be considered prime real estate. They feel that is just too unrealistic.

I guess because I lived with a woman just like that for half my life, I totally GOT her character. My mom has never been happy with her creature comforts, and no matter how big her house is, or how many possessions she has.... she will always find something to complain about, and never feels content with what she has.

Holly was deserted by her dad as a little girl, and she uses THINGS to compensate for the love she missed out on from her dad. "Things" to Holly, equal love.... her many shoes make her feel loved. These faults and weakness makes her insecure and selfish. That to me is very believable.

Swannie

I can't wait to see it again, but I just don't know when that will be...as Christmas shopping has totally depleted the cash flow(movie-going is not cheap)...but I will see it at least once more before it leaves the theaters....I would die before the dvd coems out...I hope that is very quickly!!!!!I definately want my hubby to see it...which he wants to ....I told him, he really has to to pay attention to the message of the movie.....we only have one life...don't waste it on stupid shite!!!!!You never know from one day to the next.....OK...enough of that!!!!or I'm gonna cry!!!

P.S....di you guys notice in the scene where Hillary is singing with the remote, when they all walk in on her......they ask if she is bathing...and someone asks..."what's that on your head"and Hillary says "a pimple"...if you look closely, you can see the bandage for her cut covered with make-up...I love how they added that in......and yes, I did notice the "missing" scene from the trailer.

Yep, I noticed the scene was missing as well, Susan! Really too bad, I loved that line in the preview... but an editor's job is very difficult.

Jill! Your "durrrrr" made me laugh like crazy!! My brother says that all the time!! :rotflmao:

~Mel

Okay, I can't believe I'm going to post here with all of you loving this movie so much. This is just MY OPINION, which I know you all will understand, right? I was not thrilled with the movie that much. That is why I'm going back on the 26th with a friend to see if there was something I missed. I guess I expected too much and since I read the book twice and it was nothing like the book, I'm not grasping the whole picture. Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate it, I just expected so much more. Everytime I started to cry something funny happened and my tears dried right up. Although at the end, when the credits started to roll and Same Mistake was playing I lost it. Then I had to meet my mom for dinner and my face was red and swollen and everyone was staring at me. I also think they could have cut out maybe 15-20 minutes in different spots. I thought HCJ was great as was Gerry. And might I add JDM's rear view was a nice perk! :D Anyway, I'm going to go watch it again and reassess the whole thing because it has really bugged me that I didn't "LOVE" it. I actually lost sleep last night thinking about it and thinking what the heck was wrong with me. :confused:

It's okay, Jo. Movies speak different things to different people. There are just too many varying factors that can affect how we receive a movie at any given time.

I find more and more often that the less I know about it going into it, the better off I am. That way, I have no preconceived notions. :D

Perhaps you will enjoy it more on the 26th! If not, don't beat yourself up over it. :wave: