Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Abrock

General "PS I Love You" Discussion Thread

Thanks, Songbird! I think I need to give up reading the books before watching the movies. The same thing happened with The Notebook and I had to turn the movie off halfway through. Thank goodness I rented it. Anyway, maybe I'm beating myself up too much about not loving it and just liking it. Like is a good thing. :D

Nobody will get beat up here for voicing an honest opinion or feeling, Jo. As Songbird said, we all have different perspectives and the same thing won't appeal to everyone. Personally I didn't WANT the movie to make me cry buckets (it didn't) and I was pleased by the amount of laughter, real laughter it evoked in me each time I've seen it. I liked the book but didn't love it, and most of the essence of the book was kept while changing a LOT of the details. That really didn't bother me. Rarely can a movie live up to a book, especially if the reader REALLY loved the written version. For me this one exceeded my expectations but I went in knowing it would veer significantly from the book so that wasn't an issue or a disappointment to me.

As for the scene with the "pimple" - when we saw the advance showing last week we all commented immediately that it had to have been filmed right after the suspender accident.

OMIGOSH, I just made the connection between the "pimple" and the suspender stitches!! :rotflmao::bonk: It's Saturday, I'm allowed to have brain lapses... :D

No worries Jo! :hug99: For me, ever since I saw the first two Harry Potter movies, I've been very turned off to the idea of a literal book-to-screen adaptation. When I see a movie based on a book, I want to see an interpretation. I want to see scenes that I haven't imagined as I've been reading. If a movie is too close to the book, I'd bored! I want to see the same story told in a different way...

Anyhow, that's how I look at it. Others love to see as much of a literal adaptation as possible, and that's their thing.

:hearts:

~Mel

Guest greyeyegoddess

Being that I finally saw it with our little group of fans, I have to say that I enjoyed it a lot. I've enjoyed the interviews more now that I've seen the movie, and read all your spoilers. :D

I've been writing up my review on a blog, because I think a good review needs to get out among the bad reviews.

I suggest if you haven't done it yet, go to IMDB and rate the movie. You can even write a review there too. And if you have a blog, write a review of the movie. Get it out to the masses, people. Myspace, livejournal, multiply, facebook, etc...

I will try to see it again on Monday. It was just a really good story. Forget this romantic comedy stuff. It exceeded my expectations, which is good, right? But I knew Gerry wouldn't let me down.

~alice

:music:

I saw it Friday afternoon with Barbara (lugerry), who is in Texas visiting her daughter. She and I both thought it was outstanding. Went last night to see it again, and loved it even more! Gerry is just so adorable in this movie. All of the cast did an excellent job, I thought.

Ok, so reading the book I cried the whole way through. And I thought to myself, I will never make it through the movie!! LoL. But I did. I cried a lot both times that I saw it. :tissues: There were several parts of the movie that really hit home for me. One was when Holly gets home right after his memorial and she listens to his voice on the answering machine. When my grandpa died, my grandma wanted to record his voice off of the answering machine so she could listen to it whenever. That scene just broke my heart into pieces. :tissues:

Another is the scene were they show the little memorial Holly sets up for Gerry with his pictures and stuff. My grandma did the same thing and she still has it now. Again, I just broke into tears. :tissues:

And like most of you, the scene were his is singing "Love You 'Till the End" in no shirt.....Oh jeezz!!! That totally just killed me!!! That song just makes me ball!!

I would have to say my favorite scene/scenes is when they recount how Gerry and Hollly met on the road. Watching him walking over that hill.....totally took my breath away. Of course, all the scenes with Gerry in it are my favorite. LoL. He just looked absolutely heavenly.....*sigh*

I agree that the opening scene was brillant!! I loved it!! It totally just sucked you in!!

And I was quiet surprised at how funny the movie was too. Just when I was about to cry buckets it saved me with laughter!!!

And it was lovely to see scenic scenes of Ireland. It reminded me alot of Scotland and brought back a flood of memories!

It was great seeing it with a bunch of GALS and besides our group, I heard several other people sniffing throughout the movie too!!

*Sarah

Edited by sbchild04

I slipped out for a few hours to go see it again. My hubby took my son to see Alvin and the Chipmunks and I saw PSILY. Gerry is so bloody beautiful it's sinful. The man is just GORGEOUS! If I were not a fan in the beginning I would most definately be one after watching the movie. I think my reaction to the movie was the same as my first and that's okay. I loved it and I will be more than willing to see it again if only to see Gerry. He's just too beautiful!!!!

Cassie

Okay, I can't believe I'm going to post here with all of you loving this movie so much. This is just MY OPINION, which I know you all will understand, right? I was not thrilled with the movie that much. I guess I expected too much and since I read the book twice and it was nothing like the book, I'm not grasping the whole picture. Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate it, I just expected so much more.

I agree with you Jo!

I wasn't thrilled with the movie either.

I read the book first and think that was my mistake.

I didn't hate it either but I thought it could of been better.

Gerry was awesome as usual but was disappointed in Hollywood's adaption of the film.

zany

Just got home a while ago from the most amazing day that i've had in quite a while! First....Seeing PSILY (and my Hubby went too)...second stopping off and having a HOT FUDGE SUNDAE! I will be sorry tomorrow but tonight I'm just relishing in my :D happy place! My take on the movie is this.....I really liked it! I didn't love it but only because Gerry wasn't in it enough as usual... But other than that I thought it was quite funny and didn't really shed a tear til toward the end when Holly went running to her Mother and really cried her heart out...well that's when I kinda lost it! I also enjoyed watching my husband laughing and he said it wasn't so bad after all. He was determined that he wasn't going to like it but went anyway to appease me! The theater was at least a third full and I think there were at least a dozen or so guys there! I heard lots of laughter and some sniffing. I distinctly heard the girl sitting behind me refer to Gerry as " Damn he's hot" I almost wanted to turn around and welcome her to being "Butlerized" but think my Hubby would have been a wee bit annoyed with me! I think HS did a great job going from a heart wrenching scene one minute and then delivering a flawless funny line the next.... Gerry was adorable and funny and absolutely gorgeous! That goes without saying. I agree with some of you that thought the kissing was a little too staged. Not because there wasn't any tongue action but my heart didn't skip a beat when thay showed the closeup kiss. On the other hand her kiss with "William" was much "hotter" :confused: Can't understand that cause if I had my druthers and don't get me wrong all you JDM lovers, but he just doesn't do it for me like The G man (JMO) I would druther have the hot kissing with Gerry!! :heat: He do have some nice Buns there! :D Anyway to sum it up I don't think I would have enjoyed this movie as much if Gerry wasn't in it (even though he wasn't in it enough for me) I guess I'm just so sick of watching him die and never gets the girl!!!

:wave: Fran

Edited by ladyfran

I saw PSILY on Friday with Suzie, her brother, and 3 girls from GB.net. I'm only now able to post my comments because I just worked two 12 hr shifts at the hospital and haven't had much time. Anyway, I loved the movie. I don't understand where some of the negative reviews of Hilary's performance are coming from. I think she was great! Our local paper only had one review in it on Friday, and it was very negative. The reviewer complained that the opening "fight scene" between Gerry and Holly was too long, and that Gerry died too abruptly. He said Gerry and Hilary had no chemistry, and he didn't like that the letters all ended with "PSILY". The only member of the cast that he liked was Lisa Kudrow. He said she "stole every scene she was in." Where do they find these people who write reviews?? :confused:

I saw PSILY on Friday with Suzie, her brother, and 3 girls from GB.net. I'm only now able to post my comments because I just worked two 12 hr shifts at the hospital and haven't had much time. Anyway, I loved the movie. I don't understand where some of the negative reviews of Hilary's performance are coming from. I think she was great! Our local paper only had one review in it on Friday, and it was very negative. The reviewer complained that the opening "fight scene" between Gerry and Holly was too long, and that Gerry died too abruptly. He said Gerry and Hilary had no chemistry, and he didn't like that the letters all ended with "PSILY". The only member of the cast that he liked was Lisa Kudrow. He said she "stole every scene she was in." Where do they find these people who write reviews?? :confused:

:rotflmao: That just makes me laugh. I've never heard so many complaints from a reviewer. Thanks for sharing Lady Elissa! It gave me a good laugh. Especially the part about Lisa Kudrow stealing every scene she was in!!! :lol:

*Sarah

he didn't like that the letters all ended with "PSILY".

OMIGOSH!! :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Did the guy not know the name of the movie, or the book for that matter? That's just too funny!

One of my favorite scenes is following the memory of where they first met... she's finishing up that letter, and there he is, standing beside her, speaking the letter out loud, and then he ends with, "P.S...." and then just rubs his forehead on her shoulder. Geeeaaah, that killed me! :tissues: So, they mixed it up a little in the delivery of the title line, so what was that critic's problem?

I'm a bit at a loss here... because if I recall, Hilary and Gerry did indeed have a few "hot" kisses. I didn't find them staged, especially in the first scene where they're talking and kissing at the same time. That has to be natural and instinctive, and I thought it was brilliantly performed by the two stars.

Also, their first kisses when they first meet... if you think about it, a lot of first kisses are like that. There's not a whole lot to them, a bit tentative, and perhaps the close-up-ness of the shot reminded us of how simple it truly was. This happened in the middle of the film, after we've seen them kiss each other with abandon, so for us, we weren't seeing that as their first kiss. That's probably why there wasn't that usual apprehension when watching a "first kiss" scene. Perhaps that was deliberate, and perhaps it wasn't... but regardless, I found it to be incredibly sweet, which is what I think their first meeting was meant to feel like.

And you know, I've given up on the definition of "chemistry" between actors on screen. It's something you feel individually... and while there can sometimes be a general consensus on whether or not two performers have chemistry, there's just no way to define why or why not! In "Mr. and Mrs. Smith," I remember people saying that the chemistry between Brad and Angelina was so very hot and palpable. Erm… I actually didn’t think it was. I thought it was there, but not this obvious we-fell-for-each-other-while-filming thing. But because that was all over the tabloids at the time it came out, people were watching for those signals, and made each bigger than they were, in my opinion.

I thought the chemistry between Hilary and Gerry was great. I thought they were very believable as a married couple, and their scenes together are just fantastic.

Okay, who got me on this binge, anyway?? :D

~Mel

he didn't like that the letters all ended with "PSILY".

OMIGOSH!! :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Did the guy not know the name of the movie, or the book for that matter? That's just too funny!

One of my favorite scenes is following the memory of where they first met... she's finishing up that letter, and there he is, standing beside her, speaking the letter out loud, and then he ends with, "P.S...." and then just rubs his forehead on her shoulder. Geeeaaah, that killed me! :tissues: So, they mixed it up a little in the delivery of the title line, so what was that critic's problem?

I'm a bit at a loss here... because if I recall, Hilary and Gerry did indeed have a few "hot" kisses. I didn't find them staged, especially in the first scene where they're talking and kissing at the same time. That has to be natural and instinctive, and I thought it was brilliantly performed by the two stars.

Also, their first kisses when they first meet... if you think about it, a lot of first kisses are like that. There's not a whole lot to them, a bit tentative, and perhaps the close-up-ness of the shot reminded us of how simple it truly was. This happened in the middle of the film, after we've seen them kiss each other with abandon, so for us, we weren't seeing that as their first kiss. That's probably why there wasn't that usual apprehension when watching a "first kiss" scene. Perhaps that was deliberate, and perhaps it wasn't... but regardless, I found it to be incredibly sweet, which is what I think their first meeting was meant to feel like.

And you know, I've given up on the definition of "chemistry" between actors on screen. It's something you feel individually... and while there can sometimes be a general consensus on whether or not two performers have chemistry, there's just no way to define why or why not! In "Mr. and Mrs. Smith," I remember people saying that the chemistry between Brad and Angelina was so very hot and palpable. Erm… I actually didn’t think it was. I thought it was there, but not this obvious we-fell-for-each-other-while-filming thing. But because that was all over the tabloids at the time it came out, people were watching for those signals, and made each bigger than they were, in my opinion.

I thought the chemistry between Hilary and Gerry was great. I thought they were very believable as a married couple, and their scenes together are just fantastic.

Okay, who got me on this binge, anyway?? :D

~Mel

I just thought I would re-post this:

About the kisses. I loved those married kisses in first scene, when they kissed and talked at the same time. I found those talking kisses even more intimate and familiar than full on tongue kisses. Those kisses were more than sexual... they were the lived in everyday communication married people enjoy.

The kisses on the road gave me shivers. These two had just met, so their kisses were shy at first, and with the third kiss, the lips were very soft and giving. I loved how he kissed her. He was a gentleman, as he SHOULD have been.... but the 3rd kiss rocked my world.

Katie, all the scenes you mentioned are still on my heart. I can't wait to see it again this afternoon!

Swannie

"One of my favorite scenes is following the memory of where they first met... she's finishing up that letter, and there he is, standing beside her, speaking the letter out loud, and then he ends with, "P.S...." and then just rubs his forehead on her shoulder. Geeeaaah, that killed me!"

yes! that scene really got to me too. There was just so much longing and love when he rubbed his forehead on her shoulder, as if even the words "I love you" did not sum up what he felt. I don't care what anyone says I love, love, LOVE this movie.

I just thought I would re-post this:

About the kisses. I loved those married kisses in first scene, when they kissed and talked at the same time. I found those talking kisses even more intimate and familiar than full on tongue kisses. Those kisses were more than sexual... they were the lived in everyday communication married people enjoy.

The kisses on the road gave me shivers. These two had just met, so their kisses were shy at first, and with the third kiss, the lips were very soft and giving. I loved how he kissed her. He was a gentleman, as he SHOULD have been.... but the 3rd kiss rocked my world.

Katie, all the scenes you mentioned are still on my heart. I can't wait to see it again this afternoon!

Swannie

Aye, I was thinkin' of some of your comments when I wrote that as well, Swannie! Very well said.

~Mel

yes! that scene really got to me too. There was just so much longing and love when he rubbed his forehead on her shoulder, as if even the words "I love you" did not sum up what he felt.

*heart cracks* Yep, yep, yep... perfectly said.

~Mel

One of my favorite scenes is when he's playing guitar in the living room, singing softly. GAH, I almost died... and also when she's remembering him getting ready for work in the morning, and running late no less... chatting with her, winking at her, running water (or gel?) through his hair, grabbing his shoes while his collar is still unfolded with his tie already done... the everyday mundane stuff we take for granted. *waaaah*

First of all, I loved the movie! Second, Gerry was nothing less than beautiful! Especially in the scene quoted above and he made my heart skip a beat or two coming up over that hill. His line of how he felt about her during their fight was so touching and romantic! Hilary was great as Holly, totally believable to me, Harry was hilarious, and Jeffrey was down right sexy HOT!

But most of all, Kathy Bates was my star! I could relate to her character so well! I must admit she made me sob with her scenes toward the end of the movie! People have a tendency to forget that abandonment can happen without death, the sorrow as deep and there is a recovery time also!

I call this movie a "wake up call movie"! There are so many messages through out the film from ALL of the characters. It reminded me of the speech the doctor gave to the cancer patients in "One More Kiss". There is no starting pistol in life, it starts NOW!

I had the same situation with my "Daniel" as Holly did and it ended the same way. We have been friends for thirty years! So when that scene ended I had a private chuckle with a tear in my eye! See, it can happen in real life!

Obviously, some critics are not romantic and some had to find fault with something this weekend with so many releases at once. I judge a film on my own and what the reaction is in the theater while I am there. I went to three showings yesterday with a group of GB ladies here in the pacific northwest. The first showing was scant but later showings were pretty full. Everyone, including the men, had positive reactions to the movie. In fact, an older couple was in front of me and she turned and asked him if he liked the movie and he responded, "Yes, it was a lot better than I thought it would be!" So there, critics!

I for one have a lot of thinking to do as this film has given me inspiration to be more "creative" and bring forth the unique me that is inside!

TTFN

Barbara

Edited by hugbarbara

I call this movie a "wake up call movie"! There are so many messages through out the film from ALL of the characters. It reminded me of the speech the doctor gave to the cancer patients in "One More Kiss". There is no starting pistol in life, it starts NOW!

Also, if I will be excused for saying so, this movie does a hell of a lot better job of it than One More Kiss! PSILY is very much about loving your loved ones to the best of your ability, not go-destroy-the-marriage-of-your-former-boyfriend-because-you're-dying-and-you're-downright-selfish...

*ahem* I'm cool, I'm good... :D

It's extremely thought-provoking when Holly asks "What if this is all there is to our lives?" and Gerry asks her what she means, and when she explains about their financially struggling life, he replies that "THIS" is their lives! They're in it!

We really do so much waiting in life, don't we? Waiting until things happens before we feel we can really live... it's human nature, I suppose, but it's so nice to be reminded that we need to LIVE. With that, I'm not saying we shouldn't be patient, because we should be. That's the trick, isn't it? Living life the best we can while remaining patient that things will happen in their own due time.

~Mel

Well, I just got back from seeing this movie for the second time, and of course I cried again. There is so much to say, and please forgive me for not reading all three pages and probably repeating what others have said, but I'm exhausted.

First, can Gerry be more perfect??? I don't think so. You know, the striptease is adorable, but the scene of him sitting on the couch, when she's imagining him there, playing the guitar and singing that song - I could just play that little part over and over again for the rest of my life and be completely happy. (By the way, Russell Crowe does a great rendition of that song as well.) Back to Gerry - I hope Hollywood, etc. notices the beauty and talent that radiates from that man. I know we always say that about everything he does, but seriously, he was perfect in this role.

I really don't start crying until the scene when they first meet in Ireland on the road. It's then that I see something in Gerry that I just cannot put into words. I'm sure in the past three pages of posts you ladies have been able to articulate it, but I just can't. I think I stop breathing for that entire scene, and I probably don't blink, either. And when he kisses her, I feel that kiss deep in my bones and my soul. My chest literally tightens with my unrequited love for him, and I can almost feel his lips on mine. Lord have mercy.

Then when Holly has lunch with Daniel and he says that he wants to be someone's Gerry, all I think about is how much I want to be someone's Holly. That's when the waterworks come on hard. I pretty much cry the remainder of the movie. Especially when Holly and her mother have their talk after that scene. Oy, I feel the mom's pain, believe me.

Oh, and after watching the interview with Gerry about death and the movie, I really paid attention to what he said about not being able to feel "Gerry" in the movie at that point. Of course, our Gerry was right, and the director really did a great job of making "Gerry" seem like he's left. That doesn't make sense, but if you saw the interview you know what I mean. LOL

I was able to look at JDM a little more objectively tonight, and I do see what you all see in him, but I wouldn't trade him for Gerry for a million dollars. But yeah, he was very charming in the movie.

My son enjoyed it as well, and of course, his girlfriend cried and told my son that he couldn't die first. Basically we made the deal that I have to die first. LOL Weird kids . . .

I think I'll be seeing this movie as often as I can while it's in the theaters, and I can't wait for it to come out on DVD so I can rewind, pause, rewind, pause . . . sigh.

I really did fall in love with Gerry (Butler) all over again. And I don't see an end to his any time soon . . .

Lisa

Edited by phoenixgirl

i havent had a chance to see this yet..weather and the holidays have kept me....but some interesting comments on holly calling his voice mail over and over... just a little part of reality..i lost my husband 4 yrs ago to cancer at 42,,,,,, i kept paying for our voicemail service and plan..19.00 a month because it had his voice on it.... and i couldnt figure out a way to record it for myself....i even had a new phone with its own anwering machine,,, but i kept on paying.

the things you do to just hear it again.... now thanks to some computer finessing..i have it recorded in my i tunes and backed up. for our daughter to hear.... im sure ill be an emotional reck leaving this movie.... but i cant wait to see it... !!!!!!

I'm a firm believer that everything in our lives happens for a reason.... and that was one aspect of the movie I loved. Gerry Kennedy had a whole different outlook than his wife did, but through her journey with his letters back to their beginning, she finally recognized the pattern of their lives.

This movie is actually a fantasy/romantic drama with comedy.

I hope I get better soon so I can see it again this week.

Swannie

To clarify myself here, I was in no way comparing the film "One More Kiss' with "P S I Love You". I was simply comparing messages. In the fight scene of Gerry and Holly's even he brought up the "waiting for life to start" speech and that was what I was referring to. Once again, the message was there for ME to remember that fact, as I seem to "wait" for something.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

TTFN

Barbara

Edited by hugbarbara

I think some critics have hard hearts. I loved this movie. It had heart and soul. Gerry and Hilary had plenty of chemistry. They were very believable and real. Who could not see the chemistry? It seems the critics have to put down anything sweet and warm, like that's a bad thing? I liked all the characters. Each one had their place to show many of the different types of love that enter into a person's life. I thought it had a wonderful message. Life can be sober and serious. It's refreshing to see this with a light, fun touch.

Some say the movie was a little long. I think the opposite, because I felt there should have been just a hint more about the illness. Maybe, a flashback scene of him talking to the travel agent or any of the parts in the book. His death wasn't a car accident where the person is here fine and the next gone. They had a little notice. It could have been done with a light touch, heavy was not required. (JMHO) Don't get me wrong. As I said, I loved the movie. It struck a chord with me on many levels.

Sally

:rotflmao: That just makes me laugh. I've never heard so many complaints from a reviewer. Thanks for sharing Lady Elissa! It gave me a good laugh. Especially the part about Lisa Kudrow stealing every scene she was in!!! :lol:

*Sarah

This is also the reviewer who said that the second Pirates of the Caribbean movie didn't have enough action in it! :lol: I rarely agree with him on anything! I always get the feeling that he and I didn't even see the same films! :D

Just popping in very briefly :wave: I saw this movie on Friday with Iliessa, Mrs. C and my husband :claphands: . Absolutely loved it and my husband really enjoyed it, too. Mr. Butler and HS were great as was the rest of the cast. I might just have to go and see it again with my daughter :D

Iliessa and Mrs. C, it was very nice for my husband and I to meet you both. Iliessa, please give my thanks to your friend. ;)

OK have to go. :wave: