Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Abrock

General "PS I Love You" Discussion Thread

i rarely agree with and reviewers... frankly i try not to pay much attention to them other then the basic premise of the movie..... i know what ill like or dislike.... heck ive even seen shattered more than once.... and even though i dont hatee that movie...i like it for gerry reasons....

they sure did pick a tough weekend for release though.... really tough....

having gone through caring for hubby through cancer... im not sure that its needed in any film.... trust me.....i think that your imagination would kick in there...but ill reserve anymore judgement until i see the film....

I think that reviewers just look for something bad to write. A movie that has a good message never seems to win if it is also a romantic comedy. We will all enjoy this movie on DVD for many years to come. It is sad & uplifting at the same time. I would give anything to have a man love me as much as Gerry loved Holly. I'm glad they showed a fight scene. It is reality with couples. Gerry was wonderful as usual & probably this movie is as close to the real Gerry as we will ever get to see.

I call this movie a "wake up call movie"! There are so many messages through out the film from ALL of the characters. It reminded me of the speech the doctor gave to the cancer patients in "One More Kiss". There is no starting pistol in life, it starts NOW!

To clarify myself here, I was in no way comparing the film "One More Kiss' with "P S I Love You". I was simply comparing messages. In the fight scene of Gerry and Holly's even he brought up the "waiting for life to start" speech and that was what I was referring to. Once again, the message was there for ME to remember that fact, as I seem to "wait" for something.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

TTFN

Barbara

Offended? Dear Barbara, of course you didn't offend! I'm sorry if I made it sound that way! I have an open dislike for OMK, and I was just wanting to show how PSILY did a much better job of portraying that particular message as a compliment to the latter. It's all good!

~Mel

I loved it. Saw it Friday with my mom. My only complaint is how goofy and ugly they made Harry Connick, Jr. look!! What was with THAT??! He's usually an OK-looking guy.

XXOO,

Jenny

PSILY was an entertaining film and with all that mixed up batch of talent being displayed for over two hours, I can't complain. The intent of the story was brought to the forefront, don't be bitchin appreciate what you have. Don't be looking to someone else to make your life perfect. Get up and out and "do" something. Thanks Ceceila and both Gerry's a message well delivered. Once again Gerry did the best he could with the screen play and the direction. I do not think H.S. has the screen appeal for a romantic comedy. Poor Gerry, must of tried but the sparks did not fly for such a tempestuous love, flame. I think Gerry should of had Daniel's lines, "it was like kissing my sister". GB will come clean on the Jay Leno show in 2009. Kissing an actress with two Academy Awards is worth the effort. I wonder if he gets to kiss the other Academy Award winner, Jody Foster. So when is GB going to do a movie that uses his talents and depth as an actor? Don't get me wrong PSILY was a "sweet movie" and I'm sure helped pay the bills. I'm ready for GB to sink his teeth into Robbie Burns (before he dies, Robbie that is). All kidding aside, Gerry deserves better scripts.

I have seen the film twice so far and I liked it, but what I really loved was the role of Gerry. He played it really adorably! Each moment he was seen, or at least heard, added so much to the film! The others acted well, but without Mr. Butler it just would not be the right thing!

You feel his presence not just from the screen, it was like if he stepped out of the screen, and just wish to have a man like this, somebody you can fully rely on, who would reassures you as he did his widow... Every woman can just dream of such a man (of course, alive).

Just the opening scene – can you imagine a man being so cute and calm when the woman gets emotional so much? I cannot (and I have a wonderful boyfriend, believe me).

Or the scene with him playing a song in her bedroom – it was adorable. He was so comforting....

The scene of their first meeting was just lovely! And then, when she was finishing reading it, the way he leaned his head on her shoulder! And all the others he appeared in.

As to the book, I have read it too, and, as always in cases like that, you tend to compare, may miss the scenes you liked in the book.... even if the film is more faithful to the book than it was this time. The same apparently happened to the reviewer. I am sure all of us would appreciate “more Gerry” in the film (for an obvious reason), although he is present more in the film then in the book. All the scenes where Gerry is already ill (the deathbed scene, the one in travel agency and the one when he sends Holly for ice cream to finish the last letter) were moving in the book and two of them were at least indicated in the film. I am not sure I would like to see him changed by the illness...

When speaking about the changes compared to the book, what did not work for me so much was the change of Gerry into this kind of easy-going (at least at the first sight) boy – although the role of Gerry was very nice (and played in a wonderful way) like this, for the whole story it makes less sense (in the book, he seemed to be the responsible one even alive; but this way, it comes as a more of a surprise to find out later...). There might have been more flashbacks, also showing sometimes Holly to be nice and kind to him when he was alive... There are more changes compared to the book, of course, there might be different opinions as to whether they helped or not, but basically the idea and the message remained, which is important.

I am sure I did not see it for the last time. I will write more after I see it for the next time (hopefully later this week).

Just the opening scene – can you imagine a man being so cute and calm when the woman gets emotional so much?

My husband is very much like that. In fact early in our relationship I realized that he wasn't reactive like my ex-husband. My ex and I were like gasoline (me) on fire (him). I'd get upset and he'd escalate it until we were screaming and crying and lots of hurt was being flung around. My husband proved to me early in our relationship that he could diffuse my anger with laughter. It was a shock to my system, but it is really a great way to live with someone, and we've been happily together nearly 19 years now.

Interesting points of view from everyone, and I'm curious about more detail from those who did not like the movie. What aspects of the book did you wish they had kept (without making it an exact duplicate which would be impossible in the time frame of a film)?

I saw it for the 4th time on Sunday with my husband who absolutely LOVED it and is now telling EVERYONE "You HAVE to see PSILY" more than I am!! We saw it in a theater where I saw "300" one time and that time it like everyone else there was dead because there were no reactions to the lines I expected to draw some. But with PSILY there were lots of great reactions - laughter, tears, gasps at appropriate moments - it was lots of fun listening to how a theater NOT filled with Gerry fans was reacting to the film. I'll be seeing it again tomorrow night with some more coworkers, and then we're seeing it on New Years Eve with my mom and her boyfriend.

I really did not find the changes made from the book that jarring to my sensibilities. I knew most of the changes going into it, from having watched the trailers and read all the interviews that have led up to the release. I even found the change in the character of Gerry worked BETTER for me because the whole point (or so it seemed) was that during their life together Holly was always the one who had to have "a plan" and Gerry was more a "carpe diem" type. So in planning for his own death he became the planner of her future, because he sensed that she would not know what to do when he was gone. Her "plans" all involved him and their life together. Holly's family dynamic was very different in the book - her mother wasn't a sad or bitter woman who had been left by her husband - but that was another change that worked for me. The revelation that Holly had never remembered seeing her mother laugh was important. The line about "It is so much easier being left by choice!" really put some perspective on the idea of "loss". Also, my husband had asked me "Why do you think Holly was so hard on Gerry?" (from their fight, and the karaoke scene). He asked if I thought it was because her father had left and upon thinking a bit I said maybe she was that way because she saw her mother struggle to raise two children without their father, they probably struggled alot, and she was trying to keep that from happening in their life. She wanted everything "ready" before they "started life" and Gerry was all about "our life has already started, we are LIVING it" which made it all the more poignant that he was taken so young.

As for the script, I think this was a perfect vehicle for Gerry at this time in his career, and I absolutely LOVED the chemistry between Gerry (Butler) and Hilary Swank. I've love the interviews they've done together, and I see them as the kind of people that had a lot of laughs together and will probably be very good friends for years to come. I found Hilary to have great comedic timing, and able to take me from the brink of tears to deep laughter in the bat of an eye. I can't think of much higher praise for an actor, or a script, than that. Of course I want Gerry to make "Burns" - but he can't make a movie that doesn't have the funding in place yet and I wouldn't want him sitting around doing nothing waiting for that to happen. In the meantime showing Hollywood his diversity (from "300" to "PSILY" to "Nim's Island" to "RocknRolla") is about the most brilliant move he could make right now, IMHO, even if the critics just don't "get it" sometimes.

This is typically why I don't read books after they're made into movies. I know that people get disappointed and compare the book to the movies (Harry Potter is a perfect example). I had a feeling that if I had read PSILY I would have been comparing it, and I didn't want to do that. I wanted to enjoy the movie and enjoy Gerry's performance - which I did tremendously!!! No one else could have played Gerry Kennedy with the heart and soul that Gerry Butler did.

I can't wait to see it a third time!!!!

I was FINALLY able to see this amazing film for my birthday. My dad said, despite the blizzard going on outside, he would take the truck and take me to see PSILY. What a guy…

I haven’t read any of the previous posts on PSILY, so please bear with me.

I found PSILY to be touching, funny, sad, upbeat, romantic, but most of all, hopeful.

I adored the unconditional love Holly and Gerry had for one another and how quickly they made up from their silly fights, which it seemed, Holly instigated. Perhaps she just liked the “making up” part of the fight… :hmm2:

I loved the scene where Holly and Gerry first meet and especially their second kiss as the first one just sucked. :pucker: The line Gerry used to get girls to kiss him was great and prophetic where he and Holly were concerned. Gerry kissing Holly was such a tender, beautiful moment in time, however, the passionate kiss at the bar was…*le sigh* A wee criticism, methinks Hilary needs to learn how to do better onscreen kisses as I didn’t feel the passion behind any of hers. Maybe this is too much information, but I certainly OPEN MY MOUTH for a passionate kiss! :ohbaby2:

The dynamics between Holly and her mother were so believable and there were so many things I understood in regards to how Holly’s mom must have felt after she had been abandoned by her husband. She was one tough cookie, but alas, she had built those walls so high that she forgotten how to truly enjoy life – which was exactly what Gerry DIDN’T want for Holly.

I loved Kathy Bates, as I always do and felt she was one of the best actors in the film. She has so much depth and range and yet understands how to be understated yet still make her presence known.

I thought the friendships were also believable, but to be honest with you, I didn’t think Lisa’s character was too far off of her role as Phoebe in ”Friends.” Gina was okay, nothing fantastic, but both Lisa and Gina did their job.

I thought Harry Connick, Jr. was positively precious, but I really couldn’t see Holly falling for him so I was grateful they both felt the same way after their kiss. I laughed pretty hard after their kiss as I had had a similar experience with one of my bestest guy friends many years ago.

Jeffery Dean Morgan was scrumptious and his naked bum scene :barebum: gave me tinglies in unmentionable places. :omg: His character was absolutely darling, sexy, patient and wise. Do you REALLY think there are men like him out there?

As for Hilary, well she is one of those actresses that I could take or leave. I really don’t have strong feelings about her one way or another. I felt she did a good job in the film, but I felt she wasn’t particularly comfortable in this role. I don’t know WHY I feel this way, but I do. I think someone perhaps like a Renee Zellweger may have been better in the role, but what do I know.

I loved Gerry as Gerry and as usual, he put his heart and soul into this character, who was so very charming, disarming, sexy as sin and absolutely loveable. :hehe: I adored the strip scene and could just imagine a husband with a great sense of humor doing something like that. His “Mustang Sally” rendition really MUST be put onto a CD, DAMN IT!

There were many elements that hit me after I had returned home from the movie and upon reflection caused me to cry as I recalled similar feelings as Holly regarding my father. It brought up feelings I thought I had entirely forgotten. :tissues:

The feelings Holly had about being angry with God rang like echoes from the past as I recalled the words my brother’s fiancé spoke after my brother was killed.

I’m rambling, but bottom-line is that I left the theatre feeling hopeful about MY life and realized it was time for me to start breaking down those immense walls and allow a man into my life. :wow2:

Oh, for the record, my parents took me to PSILY but they REALLY didn’t want to go. They indulged me because it was my birthday, but they were glad they went and thoroughly enjoyed the film!

My sister-in-laws want to see PSILY and I’m hoping we’ll be able to go this weekend. WITHOUT the men! :goodjob2:

:hugs:

Dayna

I never read the books from film adaptions Gerry is doing. I want to be totally surprised, and I always seems to like books better than the films made from them.

I love reading everyone's comments and insights. On another board, I have been reading quite an in-depth discussion of this film, and it seems many fans LIKE the movie well enough, but just wish the screen play and direction had been different in some ways. I prefer to enjoy a movie for what it is, on its own merits.

To me, all the characterizations made sense, and I understood their motivations.

I loved this movie!

Swannie

Okay, I went and saw it again with a friend last night. She cried through it all when all I did was laugh this time. I didn't tear up until they showed him walking when they first met. And that is all I did, tear up. I went with an open mind, not thinking of the book. Just wanted to state my two cents and get it off my chest that I'm over it and there will be more movies to look forward to. :D

Wow...reading everyone's comments about the same scenes and bits that grabbed my heart has me yearning to see this again so bad!!!!Hopefully maybe this coming weekend I can trake my hubby as he DOES want to see it......I've got my fingers crossed....the wait is killing me.......

I just want to state that I DID like the movie and will defintely see it again and again....well at least when the DVD comes out.....I just happen to agree with Dayna....I don't think the passion was there at all with Hil when it came to the kissin!! That's all....JMHO! Also I don't know how one could get a kiss from those lips "Gerrys" and not part there own just a wee bit??! :confused::bonk: Let me at em!!

:D Fran

Just a thought, but perhaps Gerry was still smoking at the time PSILY was filmed, and maybe Hilary wouldn't do the deep kissing with a smoker. I dated a smoker in my youth, and could not tolerate the taste or smell of cigarettes on his tongue. Some people are truly turned off by a smoker's kiss.

I adore Gerry, and when I met him, I did not detect a whiff of cigarettes on him... but there is no way a heavy smoker can disguise the taste of cigarettes in a kiss, no matter how many mints he chews.

Just a possibility.

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

I've seen it 3 times....saw it at the first showing opening day (while kids were at school) by myself with only about 12 other people in the theater. It was perfect, I got to hear all the lines and really get into the movie with no distractions. Cried several times. I had read the book before and even though it was totally different I still liked this version a lot. 2nd time was the next day with 4 other friends, packed theater and we laughed and cried together, gushed over GB etc. etc. 3rd time was with my daughters home from college on Christmas Eve and they loved it!!! I think it gets better each time I watch it because I catch another nuance I missed before.

I loved Holly's wardrobe, esp the shoes! and I loved, loved their apartment set...loved the rug, the comforter, her white painted chest and "the urn". So many set details I noticed esp the 3rd time around. I always wanted to be a set dresser...so I get a bit obssesive with looking at the sets, which drives my family and friends crazy. I'm like "ooohh I love that rug" or "look at that cool pillow". Weird, I know. One of these days....I've gotta work on a film. My youngest daughter is just starting out as an FX makeup artist...so I told her she has to get me on a set of one her movies when she gets there. She just missed a chance to work on a film in Scotland because she hasn't received her passport yet...oh mi god...she would've had to take me with her on that one.

Anyway...I think the critics should all find other jobs and just let the audiences do the reviewing. All 3 audiences I watched the movie with LOVED the movie! Everyone was gushing over Gerry and Jeffrey Dean Morgan...laughing and crying in all the right spots.

I agree that one of my fav scenes was watching Gerry walking along the road. When he first comes walking up over the hill, my daughter said "Oh look Mom, its Mr Darcy". :tasty:

Hi All,

I just wanted to respond to Swannie's post above about Gerry's smoking and the kisses in PSILY. I remember reading of a fan who I think was an extra in the scene where he sings 'Galway Girl' and comes down off the stage and grabs Hilary and gives her that really deep kiss. The fan stated that she saw Gerry squirting so much breath spray into his mouth before he did this scene that it almost took his breath LOL. She thought at the time that he was so thoughtful to Hilary as he had just had a smoke. She must not have minded too much as that was really some kiss. I wonder how many takes they had to do to get that just right? Gerry did say that this scene really affected him with some strong emotions. I was married to a heavy smoker who also smoked Marlboro cigarettes and I am very sensitive to the smell of tobacco and really hate it. Funnily enough his breath always smelt fresh and I could never understand why. My sister is married to a smoker and she also says that his breath never smells offensive in this way. The only time I ever smelt or tasted tobacco on my husbands breath was when he smoked a pipe or rollies.

I must admit that I missed Gerry's snogging kisses in this movie but I thought that maybe it was the fact that they had just met on the road and they were first kisses and therefore tentative, respectful and sweet kisses with her character being too shy and inexperienced to know to open her mouth for a little exploring. Gerry seemed eager to 'possess' her mouth in the second kiss but I would have liked to see a little more soft exploring of her lips with sweet little nibbling kisses, although I thought I did see a couple of little nibbles. I will just have to watch it again and pay particular attention LOL. I would think that it was probably the director who wanted the scene played that way for whatever reason but it also may have been that Hilary was not comfortable with open mouthed kissing. Maybe she didn't trust herself not to respond to Gerry LOL. Who would?

There are definitely alot of mixed reviews on this movie. I have already posted that I loved this movie if not for the mere fact that Gerry was in it!!! :whome2: I always seem to know how movies do at the box office on opening night, but with it coming out during the holidays I seem to have missed that. :doh: Does anyone know how it fared at the box office being up against movies like National Treasure and Sweeney Todd?

Tojo

It was 6th in the weekend box office. National Treasure was 1st, followed by I am Legend, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Charlie Wilson's War and Sweeny Todd, then PSILY. Its box office was less than 10% of what 300's 1st weekend was (in the 6 millions) but I don't know what was expected of it. It dropped to 8th on Christmas when Alien vs Predator and The Great Debaters opened into 3rd and 6th place. Current gross just over $10 million. I'm still hoping for word of mouth to give it some push. Atonement is just behind it but only playing in a fraction as many theaters, Sweeny Todd is still ahead of it but only in half as many theaters.

It just kills me that Alvin and the Chipmunks was above PSILY, but I guess the kids needed something to see this weekend.

And yeah, he most definitely "possessed" her mouth in that second kiss - I felt it!! LOL

It was 6th in the weekend box office. National Treasure was 1st, followed by I am Legend, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Charlie Wilson's War and Sweeny Todd, then PSILY. Its box office was less than 10% of what 300's 1st weekend was (in the 6 millions) but I don't know what was expected of it. It dropped to 8th on Christmas when Alien vs Predator and The Great Debaters opened into 3rd and 6th place. Current gross just over $10 million. I'm still hoping for word of mouth to give it some push. Atonement is just behind it but only playing in a fraction as many theaters, Sweeny Todd is still ahead of it but only in half as many theaters.

Thanks a bunch Susan for the info. Although I was disappointed by the box office, I think it will pick up steam and I know once the dvd comes out, that will help with sales a great deal. To me it was #1. You can watch movies all day every day about treasure and pirates and robots and so on, but it is only once in a great while that a good love story comes along. To me, it was refreshing and uplifting.

Tojo :wave:

Again, I'm not sure why such scrutiny is being put on the screen kisses... because that "third" kiss when they first meet let the butterflies loose in mah stomach! :inlove:

~Mel

I have just returned from my third seeing PSILY. As you have said, it is getting better and better, you always notice some new details... I even started liking Hillary Swank in this role, especially at the end of the film. But still, the "soul" is somehow missing in her performance. I wish DVD appears as soon as possible, our multiplex is quite far away and I wish to see it more often then they show it! Especially certain scenes - you know which ones.

Just saw it opening day. Considered going again but thought my own work more important of my time. I do not know if it was the level of direction or script that is holding me back from running to the multiplex. Some have used the term disappointment with the film. I think with me it is more frustration that GB does not get scripts to really challenge his potential. I do feel that Gerry is getting an income with major studio work. The thing that is most encouraging is that GB is mixing it up. Everyone (male) knows him from "300"-PSILY a "chick flick" covers an other demographic. Then "Nims Island" is family friendly and will deffinately sell soda and huge buckets of pop corn. So, I think GB has a plan and making the best of what Hollywood has to offer. I am sure he is cuttiing back on frivilous purchases (he is happy with a good book) and properly investing his hard earned dollars or did he ask to be paid in euros. There is no doubt about it when GB is on the screen he is in command (although I wished he brushed up on his Irish) but all and all a nice ensomble piece.

Wow... I am honestly scratching my head here! And of course, as always, not taking down anyone because of their opinion, not at all. Just following up with my own...

PSILY is a breath of fresh air to today's "romantic comedies," because it doesn't rely on cheap jokes, each character has depth, each role was well-casted, and it has a great helping of drama to balance it out.

Hilary, as far as I'm concerned, was great as Holly... she has wonderful comic timing (there were parts where my face hurt from laughing so hard) and her chemistry with Gerry, both comedic and romantic, was fabulous. And then in the scenes where she's missing Gerry, where she breaks down to her mom, where she reads his letter by his childhood fort... *ouch* she made me hurt just as she needed to. I found a GREAT amount of depth to her performance.

After my second viewing, I realized something about Gerry's Irish accent... and that was, it was fine. It honestly was to me... someone in my family said "he sounded Scottish" and I have to heartily disagree, because he didn't sound like Gerry Butler, guy from Glasgow! His accent in the first scene wasn't as strong as in the flashback scene in Ireland, which worked, because in the first scene, he'd been living in the States for nearly a decade.

I could go on and on about Gerry's performance in general... it was so great to see him in a role where he could be comedic, sexy and serious... AND where he sings, to boot! :tasty:

Real quick about Jeffrey Dean Morgan... I loved him as William; the soft-spoken, brown-eyed Irishman that always wears a dimpled smile. You could see the similarities in William and Gerry, but you could also see their differences... Gerry was more outgoing and fun-loving, while William seemed a lot more quiet and perhaps introverted, but still bold in his own right. The great similarity between the two characters is the honesty and sincerity each of them owns.

Okay, I've got a lot more to say, but I'll stop for now...

~Mel