Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Abrock

General "PS I Love You" Discussion Thread

I finally figured out (most) of the SNAPS game! :laugh:

~Mel

I do not understand why the word deformed was used in describing Gerry when they first meet. Poor choice I must admit but as Gerry would say "not one of my favorites".

There is one scene that requires a LOT of suspension of disbelief for me, and that's the fishing/boat scene. For some reason, it REALLY bothers me that the women are portrayed as having no clue what to do in a row boat or with a fishing pole. Let's be real: even if you've never been fishing, you can't tell me that three intelligent, educated women wouldn't know how to reel in a fish without falling all over the place and looking like, please pardon the expression, "stupid girls". I'm sorry, but that just gets to me every single time.

Oh gosh, that didn't require any suspension of disbelief for me, and here's why... I'm an outdoors gal, but I've NEVER been fishing... just because I've never really had the opportunity, and I've never really sought it out. Anyway, that looks like something that would happen to me, even with two other intelligent women in the boat with me, especially if they'd never been fishing either.

Susan, your description of William and Holly is very thought-provoking... and thinking about it myself, it is a bit of a stretch that they wouldn't recognize each other at all.

~Mel

Well if you are basically a city girl, as these 3 friends seemed to be, then it WOULD be a totally foreign thing to do. I'm afraid I AM one of the stupid girls..LOL. I was raised without any exposure to the outdoor lifestyle, and, I'd be a total klutz in that same situation.

Swannie

I could watch this movie over and over again - and I think I will. :lol: I'm going on Tuesday with another teacher from work (she really wants to see it), but I think I'll go BY MYSELF today. When I've gone with people other than my FANmily, I've paid attention to their reactions, etc., wanting them so badly to love Gerry. But, I think today, I'll go for ME. We'll see. My house is a wreck . . .

There is one scene that requires a LOT of suspension of disbelief for me, and that's the fishing/boat scene. For some reason, it REALLY bothers me that the women are portrayed as having no clue what to do in a row boat or with a fishing pole. Let's be real: even if you've never been fishing, you can't tell me that three intelligent, educated women wouldn't know how to reel in a fish without falling all over the place and looking like, please pardon the expression, "stupid girls". I'm sorry, but that just gets to me every single time.

I'm also glad they didn't show Gerry K dying and being sickly. I don't think many of us, especially the women who have gone through this, could have handled that. I watched my mom and my grandma die, and I just don't think I could watch Gerry "go through that" - albeit acting it still would have hurt like hell. I think they made the right choice of just showing us how vibrant and alive he was in life, and leave the rest to our imagination.

I am glad they never let us see Gerry's illness. I think it would be very difficult to take a man like Gerry Butler, in his prime and the picture of health, and make him look critically ill, with any sense of realism. They can do a lot with make-up and prosthetics in film-making, but I have seen very few films where a young man can be made to look convincingly old or ill. Not only that, but I think the director wanted us to only see Gerry as a vibrant healthy man.... so that we would be shocked by the abruptness of his passing.

Swannie

Oh gosh, that didn't require any suspension of disbelief for me, and here's why... I'm an outdoors gal, but I've NEVER been fishing... just because I've never really had the opportunity, and I've never really sought it out. Anyway, that looks like something that would happen to me, even with two other intelligent women in the boat with me, especially if they'd never been fishing either.

Susan, your description of William and Holly is very thought-provoking... and thinking about it myself, it is a bit of a stretch that they wouldn't recognize each other at all.

~Mel

Well if you are basically a city girl, as these 3 friends seemed to be, then it WOULD be a totally foreign thing to do. I'm afraid I AM one of the stupid girls..LOL. I was raised without any exposure to the outdoor lifestyle, and, I'd be a total klutz in that same situation.

Swannie

Again, please forgive me if I've offended anyone. I was raised in Brooklyn, but I guess my grandpa taught me how to fish. Please know that I never meant to call anyone stupid. I'm so sorry . . .

You did not offend me in the least! Your comments are very interesting, and I imagine a few other people felt the same way about that scene. I was raised without my real dad, and my step dad never did that sort of thing, so I have never been fishing in my life. Also, Holly was raised without a dad or brothers, so it would make sense that she knew nothing about fishing either.

I love the line when they are struggling to reel in the fish, and Sharon is trying to tell Holly how to do it, and she says to Sharon, "Would you stop being so butch!"

Too funny.

Hugs, Lisa!

Swannie

All I got to say is that I cry my eyes out the entire movie, with a few laughters session is between.

As for the fishing scene well I got to say I never was taken outdoors on camping trips or fishing for that matter, just because the men of my family didnt seem to think that a girl should be doing that. But is never too late to go do it, in fact camping along with fishing is on my "to do list" or the bucket list lol....

Thanks, Swannie. :)

SIGH. I need to see that movie again - a 7th time. I can't get enough of it. Maybe later . . . oh, but I'm going Tuesday with a friend. I think I can wait until then . . . tee hee. :gah:

Lisa, that little emotie expresses exactly how I feel right now, after 2 nights in a row of NO sleep! :gah:

Swannie

I do not understand why the word deformed was used in describing Gerry when they first meet. Poor choice I must admit but as Gerry would say "not one of my favorites".

Who describes Gerry as deformed? In what scene - when they meet on the road in Ireland? I've seen it 7 times don't recall that description. I'm going again today so I'll be listening for it and will find it if it's there.

*Posted Image*

Still a long way away from january 25..... *Posted Image*

I actually get most of the emoticons I spread around here from a norwegian forum for

mothers-to-be...Posted Image

Go figure.. Posted Image

*Keeps counting days...Posted Image*

Edited by NordicGirl

Dinna worry, Lisa! You didn't offend me at all! I was just offering my counter opinion, because I certainly would be falling in the boat... I have terrible balance to boot!

I want to see it again!!!!! I don't know if I can wait until Tuesday. :gah: I really can't wait until this is out on DVD!!

Who describes Gerry as deformed? In what scene - when they meet on the road in Ireland? I've seen it 7 times don't recall that description. I'm going again today so I'll be listening for it and will find it if it's there.

If it suits my memory well, I believe a movie critic described Gerry as deformed. My question is, can he or she even do 1/4 as good as Gerry did in each of those scenes. Sometimes I get the notion that these critics have no idea about what acting is all about!

Without even considering his amazing acting ability - anyone describing Gerry as "deformed" in ANY WAY must be blind!!! I mean the man is just about sheer male perfection in every aspect of his being so WTF could any critic be talking about calling him "deformed"???? If THAT'S deformed then give me a platter and serve me up a heaping helping!!

I actually believe the "deformed" comment was made by someone on this thread...

~Mel

Found it...

Why was Gerry Kennedy walking in the Wicklow Mountains, only to tell Holly she not only found the mountains she was standing in them. I know "they" needed an outside shot to bring in the romantic intoxication of the beauty of Ireland. The only thing that saved that scene was that Gerry B. was in it. I knew from the get go that the "get up" they transformed Gerry into was going to misfire but he managed to shine through it, god it was painful seeing that handsome man look so deformed. I think Hollywood took the spirit of the book, the soul of the book, the humor of the book and dropped the ball. As for HCJ, talking about hair extentions, I kept studying his hair line, is it a wig or "what". With HCJ that hair do of his just bugged me, not just in this movie but in general through out his career. I have to see this movie again. I must say the posters are very illuminating in sharing their thoughts but if I read a post that says GB & HS had screen chemistry to die for I go to the next post. I know, I am being so uckie or what ever but it is what PSILY (Hollywood Style) did to me. Coast on the two and one half stars. Gerry you are best you save all the movies you appear in.

lopes, were you quoting a critic?

Found it...

Why was Gerry Kennedy walking in the Wicklow Mountains, only to tell Holly she not only found the mountains she was standing in them. I know "they" needed an outside shot to bring in the romantic intoxication of the beauty of Ireland. The only thing that saved that scene was that Gerry B. was in it. I knew from the get go that the "get up" they transformed Gerry into was going to misfire but he managed to shine through it, god it was painful seeing that handsome man look so deformed. I think Hollywood took the spirit of the book, the soul of the book, the humor of the book and dropped the ball. As for HCJ, talking about hair extentions, I kept studying his hair line, is it a wig or "what". With HCJ that hair do of his just bugged me, not just in this movie but in general through out his career. I have to see this movie again. I must say the posters are very illuminating in sharing their thoughts but if I read a post that says GB & HS had screen chemistry to die for I go to the next post. I know, I am being so uckie or what ever but it is what PSILY (Hollywood Style) did to me. Coast on the two and one half stars. Gerry you are best you save all the movies you appear in.

lopes, were you quoting a critic?

I was confused by this post as well. Perhaps lopes will pop in and explain :wave:

Swannie

Yes, very confusing indeed and I do hope lopes pops in to clear it up - as it appears it is she who said he appeared "deformed" and then took issue with the use of the word...... Do help us to understand, please.

Looks to me like she might have been quoting a critic. It doesn't make sense otherwise . . . who would look at that beautiful face on the road in Ireland and have the word "deformed" pop into their heads?? It's still my favorite scene in the whole movie (I know . . . it's so hard to choose just one).

I hope she does come back and settle the comment . . .

In the meantime...

I realized a week or so ago what Gerry's last spoken line in the film is... "And there's no such thing as a vampire slayer!"

Weird that that's the last line we hear him speak...

~Mel

In the meantime...

I realized a week or so ago what Gerry's last spoken line in the film is... "And there's no such thing as a vampire slayer!"

Weird that that's the last line we hear him speak...

~Mel

Oh my Gosh! You're right. How funny . . . IRONIC is more like it. I bet he got a kick out of that. Like in The Jury when he had to say the line about having "Atilla the fooking Hun".

OK funny story. I went to Chicago last weekend for my cousin's baby shower and we had a talk about P.S. I Love you. My cousin is 35 and having her first baby and my niece who is 13 was also in on the conversation. Tiffany my cousin asked if my niece and I cried as much as she did, because she was trying to figure out if it was just the movie that made her cry or that she was 8 months pregnant and the hormones were flairing. My niece, Hunter and I both told her that it was a combination of both.

I guess you had to be there.

Tiffany wanted to know who the Hot Gerry was and of course I amazed her with my knowledge of the handsome Scotsman.

LOL oggy! I have those moments a LOT... "guess ya had to be there" moments...

Tiffany wanted to know who the Hot Gerry was and of course I amazed her with my knowledge of the handsome Scotsman.

Ooooh, this is SO one of my favorite things to do! People ask about Gerry, and the flood gates open! *gush* *gush*

LOL Lisa... I love that the Vampire Slayer comment was a joke for THREE of the actors in the show!

~Mel