Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
StarDust767

Golden Globes

Why do you think 300 didn't get any Golden Globe nominations?? :confused:

Gerry's performance :leochest: was stellar, and the movie blew nearly every box office record there ever was to hell and gone. :heat: :tasty: :bonk::tens:

What is wrong with those Golden Globes people anyway? :boink:

:hugs:

Star

Edited by StarDust767

When was the deadline for submission of nominations? Could it have qualified for the last one? Shoot, I'd rather 300 get some Oscars!!

It made the deadline, but I think it was when it was released, they have short attention spans and ususually they go for movies released later in the year, even movies released in the summer are hard pressed to get nominations.

That was one thing I was worried about when 300 came out in March. It would be looked over by the newest movies. Grrrrrr......

*Sarah

That's Crazy! That Movie Was Awesome & The Actors Worked Their Butts Off To Get Into That Shape & Wasn't It Like #1 At The Box Offices For Like A Few Weeks??? That's Crazy!

I never listen to the awards show. EVER! How they come up with who to nominate is beyond my comprehension. I just saw that Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story got nominated for two. Not one, TWO! I mean, seriously? THAT got nominated and 300 got nothing? They have lost their minds.

I never listen to the awards show. EVER! How they come up with who to nominate is beyond my comprehension. I just saw that Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story got nominated for two. Not one, TWO! I mean, seriously? THAT got nominated and 300 got nothing? They have lost their minds.

I said the same exact thing Stacie! First of all this movie was nominated before it was even shown at the movies? That is what I don't get. I haven't seen it nor do I plan to. To me it looks silly and Will ferrellish! "sorry not a fan of his and most likely it is misspelled" To those that do like him no offense! And what about Sweeny Todd? Also was nominated before showing! Is it because of Johnny Depp? Do they not care about how the film itself comes across to the public? Is this not the same as the people choice awards or who actually picks the nominees? I don't care what time of the year it is ...every new movie of that year should be considered on how it was recieved by the movie goers themselves. You know the ones that pay! If it is all about the money than there's no question that 300 made a lot of money so what gives? BTW....if I'm not mistaken Gerry seems to be in demand because of this epic film so why is that then? Even the DVD was a top seller!! YES Stacie....they have lost their minds!

:wave: Fran

Guest greyeyegoddess

I mentioned this on chat last night, but most of the awards shows are for the people in the industry to give themselves a pat on the back.

And I agree, I don't think it's fair that most of the movies nominated were released recently, but the studios also know this, so they probably put the movies out there. But I also think that studios don't always know what's going to be liked and what is not going to be liked. So, it's up in the air.

I was surprised with Dewey, but even more surprised with Enchanted's two nominations. What? Where they out of movies to nominate.

~alice

:music:

this movie should've really been nominated for a golden globe...it was so AWESOME!!! :claphands:

oh well...maybe the oscars! :dance:

::Jess::

Well, let's just admit it. This is nothing new. Gerry seems to always get the raw end of the deal. :( No matter how great he is or how much heart and soul he puts into his roles. It just never seems to be good enough for good old Hollywood. I am angry and mad as beep beep at the industry that votes on these movies. I think more awards go to movies done in other countries than they do here and don't get me started on Johnny Depp!!! :tantrum: Here's a guy who hates America and lives in Paris but gets numerous roles that most any actor that loves America and lives here would love to get.............

Tojo

300 was viewed by many as a "pro war" film with political overtones. TPTB in Hollywood are decidedly anti war at the moment, and not likely to support a film like 300.

I think that's sad, because 300 was in many ways, a groundbreaking piece of fine cinematic work.

Swannie

Guest greyeyegoddess

I don't quite agree with that. I think Hollywood is anti something else. There have been movies about war in the last few years that have been recognized, so I have a hard time thinking that Hollywood is anti war, despite my own personal feelings.

~alice

I think they are just anti Gerry PERIOD!! And I agree with you Tojo....The Johnny Depp thing!

:tantrum: Fran

PS...Jess, If 300 doesn't get even a nod for the Golden Globes it's highly unlikely it would get a mention for an Oscar.... Unfortunately!!

Guest greyeyegoddess

I don't think that is true, though. Golden Globes is more for performances and includes movies and tv, but the Oscars celebrate all aspects of films particularly, like cinematography, soundtracks, and script writing. It's really two different groups.

The Oscars have snubbed some of the Globe winner before. One win doesn't necessarily mean a win in another nomination.

~alice

I may be completely off base here, but aren't the "Golden Globes" the "foreign press"

awards? Do correct me if I am wrong, but if it if the foreign press--they hated "300"

for the most part, and yes, they tried to make it a political "thing." This movie didn't

have a chance with them, IMHO.

J.

I think The Oscars and Golden Globes both deal with Foreign press but the Oscars is also Independent movies as well. Now if "300" was a more independent film then maybe it would have gotten a nomination but since the people who choose are so picky I am just going to send some ice cream and worse things at them. :tantrum:

Paige

I may be completely off base here, but aren't the "Golden Globes" the "foreign press"

awards? Do correct me if I am wrong, but if it if the foreign press--they hated "300"

for the most part, and yes, they tried to make it a political "thing." This movie didn't

have a chance with them, IMHO.

You are 100% correct. The Hollywood Foreign Press make the nominations and pick the winners for the Golden Globes - not TPTB in Hollywood. I've had to shake my head at several nominees/winners of Golden Globes over the years. And yes, sometimes the Globes are considered a precurser to the Oscars, but that doesn't mean anything. Several years ago, Madonna won a Globe for "Evita" but you can bet the "Academy" wasn't about to even nominate Madge for anything. So, just because "300" got shut out of the Globes doesn't mean it won't get an Oscar nod, though I suspect it will be a technical nomination if anything.

isnt it up to the production company and succh to offer their movie for a nomination???? years ago there was a big tadoo about tim allen not getting nominated... but he had said... he specifically asked everyone involved not to put his name in the hat.... i wonder if perhaps that might not be the case??

it becomes quite a game.... i read that attonement was trying the opposite approach.... trying to be subtle and hoping that would get them nominations.... guess it worked...!!!!!!!!!!

the best awards in my eyes... peoples choice awards... hopefully my vote counted for something...!!!!!!!!!! although why gerry wasnt up for best male lead i'll never know....

Harruummph. Makes me think these award thingies are all "fixed" in some way, or akin to a popularity contest...

It really makes me wonder though, because the typical trend in tinsel town is that whoever wins the Golden Globe for performances in film almost always seems to get the Oscar nod and/or win as well. Oscars cover more areas of films and film making than the GG's do, but an awful lot of the time I think the noms and the wins are the same candidates for both. It's all confusing ...LOL. :bonk::bonk::bonk:

I'm pretty sure 300 will get a nod, probably a win, for technical achievement/special effects at the Oscars.

I would just love to see Gerry's fine performance get recognition too. ESPECIALLY since more than one reviewer commented that his Leonidas made Crowe's Maximus look like sissy pansy pants. And Crowe WON the Oscar for that role.......

:hugs:

Star

Edited by StarDust767

just think the acting skills it took to act with nothing but green screen..... thats true acting isnt it?? pretending something is happening that really isnt.,???

seems to me that would be much harder to do than if you were on a set that was all decorated to look real, or on location....at the very least.... technically it definatley should get something....i have a feeling though the new beowulf anima...will be a close runner..

If anyone has looked at the "for your consideration" ads that were placed in the industry papers like Variety promoting "300" there is not even a mention ASKING for Gerry's performance to be considered for a nomination. So if the studio isn't even asking for it we sure as heck shouldn't be hoping for it to happen. They are asking for consideration in technical and I believe direction for Zack, but no mentions for acting.

I would hope that Gerry isn't hurt by this and instead takes it with a large grain of salt. If his role in "300" brings him other roles he really wants to do then that is more important than the awards, even though WE would certainly love to see him get the recognition by the industry that we believe is long overdue.

you said that better then my question/explanation..... it was my understanding also.. that it's up to the producers and production companies to even put their film and cast involved to be voted on....

i remember tim allen do a press release asking people to not be angry because he wasnt up for nominations... because he requested that he not be, but the general public didnt know..untill he spoke up :wave:

I really think these award shows are fixed. Forgive me, but its possible. My opinion... only....

Hugs, M