Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
irish

Gerard Butler’s Middle Finger Salute

What I LOVE about Gerry, is that one moment he can be vulgar and unpredictable.... and the next he can be a complete gentleman; loaded with class and oozing irresistible charm!

Swannie

I agree Swannie, he's our guy!!! Whats right for some, isn't always right for others, thats why we're called human. If everyone was the same, how boring that would be!!!

Huggles, M

So I'm new :wave: ...not to Gerry just to this forum...and look where I end up first :D

No great surprise I guess - not when he's looking that good.

Hope to meet you all soon

So I'm new :wave: ...not to Gerry just to this forum...and look where I end up first :D

No great surprise I guess - not when he's looking that good.

Hope to meet you all soon

Welcome to GALS Helly :wave:

I totally agree even when he is being a bad boy he looks so damn good :whome2:

Edited by rowdychiquitagirl

I used to use THE finger gesture fairly often when on the road as some drivers leave their brains some other place while driving, but in this time of road rage I try to restrain myself. When I just HAVE to make a statement I now flip my little finger-it's for those who don't deserve the very best. :wave:

I accept him for who he is and I wouldn't have him be any other way.

That bundle of paradoxes is what makes him so special.

Edited by patsyb

I accept him for who he is and I wouldn't have him be any other way.

That bundle of paradoxes is what makes him so special.

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU PATSYB !!!

HE IS WHO HE IS AND THATS WHAT MAKES HIM

"SPECIAL AND UNIQUE "

DLSPBS - PAT :rose:

P.S. EACH AND EVERYONE OF US IS ALSO WHO WE ARE

IN OUR OWN " WAY "

Edited by DLSPBS

Well... I am not very happy about what he has done.

Just my personal opinion.

I see Gerry as "star quality talented" person... a cut "above"... or at least that is what I would like to see for him.

This action is NOT a cut above... He can be better.

But, Gerry is Gerry (the real Gerry whom most of us do not really know and the knowledge of who is just now surfacing for many of us because of his recent success and constant exposure).

So... one does not have to be happy about it, you just have to love him and hope he does something "different" the next time he gets "p'd off" or whatever caused this reaction.

As he once said himself... if we really knew him... some of us would not like him much. This is not so much a matter of liking or not liking him... it liking or not liking the way he handled himself in public.

Erik's Ebony Eyes :erikrose:

Edited by Erik's Ebony Eyes

Where and when was that remark made about "if we knew him, we wouldn't like him as much"? It's true we don't know him personally, but I still think he's human, he has maleness galore and a slip up once in awhile just puts him in the human range....He's not a God...He shouldn't be expected to be perfect and on a pedestal....He's a man, he's got a temper, he makes errors in judgement but dog-gone it, He'sure can act and thats why I like him so much....

I have heard that quoted before as well. Everybody does something that everyone isn't going to like, that's just the way it is. Granted flipping the bird isn't exactally a mature thing to do but it seems to be a bit of a habit for him. I don't particualy care for the gesture it doesn't matter who does it. Because it is Gerry there is going to be made of it for example...

Read the comments on Just Jared and you will see how one picture causes a lot of flak. Now they accuse him from being drunk, to smoking, steriod use and... well he should go back to his hooker. ACK What is even more disturbing is this Colin person who claims to be a Mod at GB.net. She had no problem dragging him through the mud.

I guess my point is that it is a picture and it is a finger we don't all have to like it, but please take the high road. We don't all have to like what he does but that doesn't mean we can't be loyal and still be fans. He is the first to admit his imperfections. So often we see people who feel they can't be a fan if he does something that we don't agree with be it something he does or who he is with. Gerry is Gerry faults and all.

Under that rough exterior is a man with a kind and gentle heart. That is what is important.

If that "Colin person" is for real and who she infers to be (there is a mod there who also runs a Colin Farrell website) that would be pretty ironic because CF has been one of the baddest "bad boys" of them all!!

I read some of the comments at Just Jared and felt like I'd fallen into one of those other sites that I avoid because they allow outright bashing posts (of both the subject and each other). Some people just post nastiness because they can, and I don't need that and place absolutely no value in it.

Gerry's comment about how if we really knew him we wouldn't like him came from his appearance in Vegas in 2006. He may have said something similar elsewhere, but where many of us heard it first hand was there.

As I've said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion about his behavior and whether it is acceptable to you or not, but I still choose to accept, appreciate and love him "as is". It is the fact that he is "imperfectly perfect" that I love most.

I'm thankful my friends and I are not celebrities and don't get recorded or put on camera for the world to see and hear because some of the stuff we do or say when we are enjoying our favorite local Scotsman at his pub gigs would likely draw distain far worse than what Gerry's 1 finger salute has gotten him.

Susan...Imperfectly perfect is well...perfect. How boring he would be if he was faultless, you know what I mean? Gerry is unique and so easy to love. When you care for a person you accept what and who they are, it should never be on your terms. I certainly wouldn't want him to be any different than the way he is. He has to be free to be himself, I just hate the way people have made more if the situation than it really was. Life is so short, why find fault in everything? There is joy to be had, it is there a heartbeat way you just have to take hold of it.

I have never met him, but he has brought a joy to my life that I didn't think was possible. He brought me friends that I treasure even a special friend that I have lost touch, I still love and care about her. He brought art to my life where now my painting has brought peace and now I am a writer and yes it is because of him. His ability to make people want to better their life is uncanny.

You can be a fan without being fanatical. You can be loyal without being lead blindly. I am proud of the man no matter what he does or doesn't do. I can look up to him without putting him up on a pedistal. Thank you Gerry for being YOU!

Ok, this post went slightly askew. Oh well such is life :D

Read the comments on Just Jared and you will see how one picture causes a lot of flak.

I don't follow "Just Jared" or other sites like it, but when you mentioned this, I decided to read some of the posts to see what you were talking about. Ya... some comments are a bit harsh.

But... there was one comment made there regarding this incident that makes plenty of sense. It one about Gerry's soon-to-be-released movie, Nim's Island, being advertised as a "kid-friendly" film; and what type of "image" do we want our children's stars (and other heroes as well) to project to our children? Is it one like this? I don't think this is it.

Everyone is talking about what appears to be a female arm tugging at Gerry's in the picture. Instead of a date, it may have been a handler or a good friend, getting him out of there before it really got ugly...

I just hope that among Gerry's handlers, there is someone who can help him temper his anger at time like this, because the press - invasive or not - is not going away. The broader group appeal of Gerry's films... the more he will need to be careful of his image. Images can make or break a career... especially if you are looking for a wide variety in your fan base, like I think Gerry is saying he wants to have.

Erik's Ebony Eyes :erikrose:

I still wonder if he did that gesture (which he has done before, as pointed out), just to be "cool"? As I said before, that is so "rock & roll"! I'm sure you all have seen a picture of a rock musician or band do that in pictures at least one time in your life!

I really hope that the paparrazzi haven't ruffled his feathers, but unfortunately, that comes with the territory of celebrity-dom. Just as long as Gerry doesn't go all Britney Spears on us, if you get my meaning.

Gerry did not become an actor so he could be a role model for children. He's a grown man, living the life of a grown man, who has no children of his own, so perhaps it never even enters his mind, that he might be looked up to by children. Someday, when he has children of his own, he may choose to behave differently, but for now.... he is who he is.

As I have said before. How can people negatively judge his character, just based on a few photos of him giving the finger, when there are MANY photos of him smiling for the press, and COUNTLESS stories of his kindness and generosity to his fans?

You might ask... well which is the real Gerry? The rock -n- roll foul mouthed bad boy, or the kind hearted and compassionate sweetheart?

He is both.

Swannie

He's a chameleon! Look at all the different types of character roles he does! Ahhh, he's a human being like the rest of us--has good & bad days, different moods.

Goodness knows I'm not immune to doing the middle-finger salute myself every once in a great while--it typically happens while I'm driving & someone cuts me off or is driving slow in the fast lane and doesn't move over for a long time.

Guest greyeyegoddess

I think he's right...if we really knew him, we probably wouldn't like it. I struggle with that all the time, because I see things and say, really is that him? But the same could be said about me...would he even like me? I always try to look at both sides of things. This coming from a fan who has met him a few times and has talked to him.

Honestly, I don't think he and I would get along, so I keep my fantasies, ideas, dreams...whatever you would call them. I've always felt that way since being in his fandom. But I'm still here because of his work. I still support his work because he's great, and leave aside our differences. He doesn't have to like me, but collectively as fans, we are a force to be reckoned with.

I understand how you feel, Erik's Ebony Eyes. But I have also learned that Gerry comes from an area of the world where that is acceptable, even if I don't accept it. Maybe he's trying to be better. There are a lot of good comments about him in this thread, and when it comes down to it, it is everyone's personal view. We can all see the same picture, but see different things...Gerry's mad, Gerry's having fun, Gerry's being crazy...who knows? We weren't there and we'll probably never know.

I don't like it, but that's all I can say. There's no judging...I just don't care for it.

Perfectly Imperfect.

~alice

:music:

Its so uncool to use that ugly gesture. I think people should exercise love and peace instead of that sort of thing. I don't think that flippin someone the bird is something to be proud of. As much as I love and admire Gerry, I was sort of offended by his using the finger like he does. But, thats just my opinion, to each his own.

Hugs, M

Well, at last. It took almost 100 posts before someone had the guts to say this. I know this is a fan site, but this gesture is not cute or sexy, and it shows a lack of control. This is exactly the type of reaction the razzi are looking for.

I also agree with the comments of Erik's Ebony Eyes, greyeyegoddess, and the few others here who are brave enough to question this behavior. Being a fan does not require overlooking actions that you would not condone in other people.

It would be one thing if this was an isolated incident, but he has done this even on the red carpet. So I don't think we can blame the paparazzi all the time. Of course, it is up to him to present himself as he wishes, and to deal with the consequences.

Not the best publicity for an upcoming children's movie.

I don't think that questioning Gerry's choice of flipping off the press is a matter of being brave - everyone is entitled to their opinion and it's not a matter of bravery that we give our opinions.

I for one agree with Swannie. Maybe there are more, but on this site I have seen six (6) pictures of Gerry giving the finger to the press or whoever, but HUNDREDS of pictures of him smiling and being the wonderful man that he allows us to see. Gerry has said that we wouldn't like him, but I think part of that statement is based upon the fact that Gerry is very, very hard on himself. I have said many times to my FANmily members that if they really knew the real me, they wouldn't like me. Perfectionists put extreme pressures on themselves, and that's where I think that statement from Gerry is coming from.

Back to the finger: People are completely entitled to be offended. Just because I'm not doesn't mean I condone what he did, but I'm not offended by it. Do I wish he hadn't done it? It depends on the situation. We don't know what caused him to flip them off, so how can anyone say that he shouldn't have done it? That's how HE responds to things; why isn't he entitled to that? It's not like he hurt someone! I've watched celebrities completely ignore the press, and that's how THEY respond to it. Everyone is different, and like Swannie also said, Gerry isn't American. We Americans are soooo sensitive to this stuff that we blow things completely out of proportion. Who decided what is and what isn't appropriate? Everyone should decide that for themselves, but then not turn around and criticize someone who doesn't have the same way of thinking.

I think that when he pulls a Sean Penn and starts beating up the press (which I guess would be the American way to handle the situation), then we should worry about Gerry's behavior.

Personally I'd rather use the gesture rather than actually say the words as I believe the words are more vulgar....not that I have done both, just depended on the company I kept at that time. But with saying that I feel that for the most part I find nothing wrong with Gerry doing something like this as it's just his way. As for being a role model for children, hell there are enough role models out there for kids and I highly doubt it was Gerry's dream to influence children. He became an actor to be an actor and channel that hyper energy of his LOL Anyways, there's my take on it.

Chelle

Oh boy...when I started this thread I had no idea of the controvery I was starting....I'm really sorry to any who have been offended by the pictures.

As many have already pointed out....Gerry comes from a place and a culture where the word and gesture are commonly used...so do I (I come not only from an Irish family but I worked for the Navy for 25 years!!! And yes, around officers who use both all the time). So when I posted these pictures it never even occured to me that some would take offense...for that I am sorry.

Though it's funny how we as Americans can use the GD or JC words all the time and not think a thing of it (which by the way is hardly EVER used in Ireland and I would guess Scotland...because those words do mean something more than just a word to most)...but this one word (which is just a word) means so much...

I think I'm rambling....lol

hugs,

Sue

Though it's funny how we as Americans can use the GD or JC words all the time and not think a thing of it (which by the way is hardly EVER used in Ireland and I would guess Scotland...because those words do mean something more than just a word to most)...but this one word (which is just a word) means so much...

hugs,

Sue[/color][/b]

Oh so true!!!! I Netflixed a DVD about the word :fook: and it is so interesting the take on the word from America to Europe. It has such diverse definitions and meanings, and believe me, what I learned from that DVD was that Europeans definitely don't have the same stigma about that word that Americans do. :lol:

But yeah, using God's name . . . it's more socially acceptable to say those two things than the "F" word. I don't get it . . . But I would also venture to guess that those who find the finger offensive probably don't use the GD or JC words, either. I have a potty mouth, and I try very hard not to use the GD word or say JC around my Christian friends who I know would be offended.

Lisa

Sue, please don't you feel the least bit bad about starting this thread lady! *huge supportive hugs*

It was well done and I, for one am on the opposite side of the fence. I quite frequently employ the use of said middle finger. Does it make me crass, or any less of a lady? You betcha it does. I'm usually also quite irritated or feeling anger at the world in general by the time that little infragrante delecti is employed.

Does it excuse the behavior? Of course not, but by the same token I am a firm believer that we only have one life that we have to live, with all the good and bad and ugly that is sprinkled into it. While I agree that it was probably not the most appropriate time to have been caught flipping the middle finger salute, the harsh and cruel reality of it is that children are exposed to far more debase things by simply being exposed to the news casts on their local tv stations.

Unfortunately, with Gerry's elevating fame comes a price. Paparazzi are lurking around him now like a pack of sharks that have a scent on new blood. He flipped a finger. He didn't throw a phone, he didn't try to lash out and strike anyone, and while he may have been irritated, he withstood that few moments of blinding light in the glare of the spotlight in order for them to get their pictures so that he could be left alone to try and enjoy the remainder of his night.

I'd like to see the average person try to live under the intense fishbowl like scrutiny day in and day out and see how they'd react to it.

I think he's holding up rather well under the circumstances.

That's my .02 cents. You Go Gerry!

Cheyenne

Oh boy...when I started this thread I had no idea of the controvery I was starting....I'm really sorry to any who have been offended by the pictures.

Sue

Hey Sue,

I'm not offended, and the controversy is pretty tame, imo. Just a few people disagreeing with the idea that the gesture is funny or appropriate. Some just might feel it is immature and unbecoming. "Low class" behavior is not so much a result of where you are from, but what you are taught is acceptable. Of course, not everyone is a good student. :D

Phoenixgirl,

I still think it is brave to give an unpopular opinion on this site. I speak from past experience, and my post count speaks for itself. I popped in for the first time in a long while, and I found the praise of this gesture a bit much. You say there are ONLY six pix of him doing this. What can I say?

As for Gerry being a role model for children, I agree that this is not his goal. However, he is in a children's film, which is starting to be promoted, and from a strictly business point of view, he might want to think about his image for that audience, and for the sake of the filmmakers.

We don't know the reason for this latest outburst. There are many places to go to avoid paparazzi, and there are many known paparazzi hangouts. If you go to one of them, you will be bothered. Simple enough.

Now I will fade away again into oblivion, much to the relief of most of you, I'm sure.

Phoenixgirl,

I still think it is brave to give an unpopular opinion on this site. I speak from past experience, and my post count speaks for itself.

Now I will fade away again into oblivion, much to the relief of most of you, I'm sure.

You're absolutely right about the unpopular opinion thing . . . I stand corrected. :)

Don't go into oblivion. It's always good to have more than one opinion of things. Imagine how boring this world would be if everyone agreed with everything. Blah - who wants that???? I'm usually the one who's in the minority on things, so please keep posting!!!

Guest greyeyegoddess

Hey Barberry...don't go!!

Sue, don't worry about it. At Gals, we can discuss our differences in, what I hope, an adult manner.

For the record, although we do have some fans who find this gesture offensive, I never said that I was offended by it. I said I didn't like it, didn't care for it, and it's not attractive to me. It's nothing about Gerry....it's me and my attraction to him. I feel that there is a difference between being offended and just not liking it.

And honestly, as an American, I'm more offended by GD and JC than a birdy. Presuming that no one is offended by those words is well...presuming, because I don't like the other word.

PS: don't forget to vote for Gerry!!! Because no matter what, we all still love him. Yeah?

~alice

:music: