Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Susan~Sporran

1/21 - PS, I Love You, the Myshall connection

Thank you to Sue (irish) and her friend Roxi for this article that was in the local County Carlow, Ireland newspaper. A scan of the article should be in our Gallery soon.

PS, I Love You, the Myshall connection

By Suzanne Pender

He’s responsible for an avalanche of ladies emerging from their local cinemas this week simultaneously weeping and drooling, and PS…he’s from Carlow!

Well – sort of!

The lineage of heart-throb Gerard Butler, the star of hit movie PS I Love You, begins in county Carlow with his great grandmother Mary (nee Brennan) and great grandfather Edward Butler, who both hailed from Myshall.

The Butler family emigrated to Scotland and lo and behold, three generations later a young Gerard is born in bonny Glasgow and subsequently becomes a Hollywood hunk!

Gerard’s great grandmother, Mary Brennan, was the sister of well-known Ned Brennan, a postman in Myshall for years, while Gerard’s grandfather on his father’s side, Johnny Butler, is buried in Myshall.

Nowadays Gerard has many relatives still living in Carlow, including Michael Dawson of Maple Lawn, Ballon, who is a cousin on the Brennan side, cousins include Tom Nolan of Carlow Electrical, Dick Nolan of Altamont, Kilbride, and Tom Nolan of Casteltown, Carlow.

“I’d say I know more about Gerard than he does about me,” laughed Michael Dawson, as he recounted the county Carlow family tree.

Gerard graduated from Glasgow University Law School before embarking on his early career in stage plays.

He then landed his first film role as Archie Brown in 1997’s Mrs. Brown alongside Judi Dench and Billy Connelly, and that same year appeared in a minor role in the James Bond film, Tomorrow Never Dies.

In 1999, he began filming his first lead role as Attila the Hun in the American TV mini-series Attila. During filming of Attila, the production actually stopped in order for him to film his second lead role, as Dracula in Wes Craven’s Dracula 2000.

In 2003, he starred opposite Hollywood A-lister Angelina Jolie in Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life and the following year he was cast in the title role of Joel Schumacher’s film rendition of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s The Phantom of the Opera, winning much critical acclaim.

In 2005, Gerard began production of 300, in which he starred as King Leonidas of Sparta. The movie 300 was released in the US on March 9, 2007 and currently holds the record for the highest opening weekend box office gross in the month of March at over $72 million during that first weekend.

Butler received various awards for this role including “Action Star of the Year” at the Taurus World Stund Awards and “Biggest arse Kicker” at the 2007 Spike TV Guys’ Choice Awards.

In 2006, Gerard began work on PS I Love You with Hilary Swank, playing the role of Gerry Kennedy in the film that is based on Cecelia Ahern’s novel and was released in December 2007.

Who knows, maybe his dalliances as the Irish Gerry might spark an interest in his Irish roots. Form an orderly queue ladies, for the role of his county Carlow tour guide!

b693cdf6b529d5337dac78befe64dbff

Edited by becozy
updated link for new gallery

I'm first...the queue starts here :wave: :dance:

This is a great article! I wonder if Gerry knows about all his Irish cousins? Wouldn't it be great to lay claim to some Gerry ancestry? Thanks for sharing!

:yippee: :inlove:

Thanks for such an interesting and enjoyable article.

Yeah, I forgot to thank you Susan for getting it up so fast....you moderators are fantastic!

I'm first...the queue starts here :wave: :dance:

Sue, honey, under the circumstances that seems MORE THAN FAIR!!

love ya!!

kissy xxx

That's so awesome for him!! And yes, thank you Sue for getting that for us, and thank you Susan for typing it up! My Lord!!!

This only makes me wish I could find out more about my Irish heritage, but I can't. :( Bummer.

Butler TartanWhile surfung the web I found the Irish Butler Tartan. he may not be into it because when he was on Leno a couple of years ago he did not seem to think he had a Tartan. They were discussing Scotland of course.Anyway it's red and blue. I'll try to download picture some other time. Iprinted it out for my Gerry Album,but obviously did'nt save to computer.

Thanks Susan for the wonderful details of Gerry's ancestry

Edited by Nanci

While surfung the web I found the Irish Butler Tartan. he may not be into it because when he was on Leno a couple of years ago he did not seem to think he had a Tartan. They were discussing Scotland of course.Anyway it's red and blue. I'll try to download picture some other time. Iprinted it out for my Gerry Album,but obviously did'nt save to computer.

Thanks Susan for the wonderful details of Gerry's ancestry

Nanci, can we see it?? Is it a pic you can post for us, or at least show us where to find it?

Thanks!

Edited by phoenixgirl

Iam trying ladies, I've got it in Photo bucket but I don't know what link tocopy,not very good at this I'll ssend you the URL address and maybe someone can post gbh

Here is ishttp://www.scotchcorner.com/tartan-index.html

The site has scottish and iris tartans look for butler under Irish Surnames GBH nanci

YEAH for Sue and Roxi and Susan! Wonderful job, ladies.

Jill

:meninkilts:

Hmmmm he descended from the last name Brennan...I wander if he and London After Midnight's lead Sean Brennan are distant related...that would be scary but cool in a way.

Paige :wave:

Thanks for the info. I just knew it. I always thought he had at least a touch of the Irish, with all his talent in telling colorful stories. Sometimes I wonder if he didn't get a good lick of the ole' Blarney stone.

Blarney Stone

A stone in the wall of Blarney Castle in Ireland. According to an Irish legend, those who kiss the Blarney Stone receive a gift of eloquence that enables them to obtain, through persuasion, anything they want.

Does it not sound like Gerry must have kissed it good. :rotflmao:

Sally

Holy Cow Sue, You and Susan weren't kidding when you said that you wanted that article right away! If Gerry "visits" any of his Irish cousins, I'll be sure to get photos!!

Slante, Roxi

:rotflmao: :goodjob2:

Thanks Roxi for providing it to us!! And Sally - I think Gerry must have snogged that Blarney Stone senseless what with his gift of gab, and his ability to charm just about anyone!

:laugh: Ahhhhhhhh....Gerry does have the gift of gab....lol

Edited by Poppy

Thank you very much for this interesting article! I have read that his family has also Irish roots, but I have never seen these detailed information. Well, one more reason to visit Ireland!

Guest DonnaKat

According to an Irish legend, those who kiss the Blarney Stone receive a gift of eloquence that enables them to obtain, through persuasion, anything they want.

I wonder what would happen if you snogged the danged thing?

Thanks Roxi for providing it to us!! And Sally - I think Gerry must have snogged that Blarney Stone senseless what with his gift of gab, and his ability to charm just about anyone!

He must have!! It's that mouth - I tell ya . . .

This article has inspired me to look up my long-forgotten Irish roots. I'm really enjoying it . . . thanks again everyone!!

This is a great article! I wonder if Gerry knows about all his Irish cousins? Wouldn't it be great to lay claim to some Gerry ancestry? Thanks for sharing!

:yippee: :inlove:

Thanks so much for the article about Gerry's Irish heritage. I would love to see the

tartarn mentioned before.

Is anyone else as disappointed about the Oscan nominations as I am?

Shirsan