Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
heISmyGspot

1/23 - PSILY Reveals Beautiful Tapesty of Emotion

Manila Bulletin Online

All the guilty pleasures of chick flickery ignited—and fortunately sustained—in "P.S. I Love You," the romantic comedy starring Hilary Swank and Gerard Butler.

Although some critics previously slammed the film after its Hollywood release on Dec. 21, 2007, those who saw "P.S. I Love You" (yes, same title of the 80s Sharon Cuneta- Gabby Concepcion movie and the Beatles song) during its press screening here in Manila found it a fully-knitted drama/comedy spiced up with killer lines and sniff–sniff moments.

The movie is based on Irish writer Cecelia Ahern's first novel which was published in 2004. Like the film, the book received lukewarm critics' welcome but it reached No. 1 bestseller status in Ireland (for 19 weeks), the United Kingdom, US, Germany, and the Netherlands.

Wikipedia.org said the film was mostly consistent with the novel and the story of Holly Kennedy, who share a nine–year marriage with Irish Gerry Kennedy. Like all couples, they reflect the seemingly never-ending pendulum spell of word wars, which are only worth the effort when it reaches post-war stage (Read: Kiss-and-makeup time).

Holly and Gerry are first seen on the onset of what would later be a full blown argument about trivial stuff (yet taxing while you're at it) like deciding when to have a baby, wanting a bigger apartment or being honest with what parents think about their in–laws. Again, as in any other couples, Holly and Gerry would only arrive at a realization realize each time that no matter what, they are for each other.

Tragedy meanwhile has a meandering and inexplicable way of showing up at couple's door and turning everything up and under: Gerry dies of a brain tumor at 35 but leaves letters and instructions delivered to Holly right when she needed a crutch to go on. How he was doing that post–life was a twist worth two hours and six minutes of movie time.

Hollywood recently retouched on chick–flicks; what stories that used to be faithful to women ("My Best Friend's Wedding," "Sleepless in Seattle" and "While You Were Sleeping") became mostly plots also catering to younger audiences who are fans of the likes of Hilary Duff or "High School Musical" "PS I Love You" meanwhile is more of homage to past chick flicks and cater to more mature audience. The acting between Hilary Swank and Kathy Bates (who plays her mother) almost had Oscar undertones. Elements of letters and implored constant object style (in the form of Gerry's suspenders clip) make that classic point clear.

Romance for action?

The lead actors Hilary Swank and Gerard Butler themselves revealed about the idea of love letters: "I think love letters are great, even if they're short little notes left in a coat or something," said Swank who may look miscast in a Julia Roberts area at first but manages to portray the New Yorker Holly and draw audience to the character.

Gerard Butler plays the charismatic Scottish who can do everything (sings, dances and plays in a band) but instant status climbs for him and his wife. He said that writing letters is "a lost art [so] it is extra special when one writes a handwritten one these days."

Both Butler and Swank have been involved with action/suspense movies of late ("300" and "Butterfly on a Wheel" for Butler and "The Reaping" for Swank) so jumping into New York romance and Ireland splendor was a breath of fresh air.

Butler, who was once rumored to be playing James Bond said, "There are things I prefer about both [action and romance]. Normally when I'm doing action I think I prefer romance, and when I'm doing romance I think I prefer action. I'm doing a romantic movie right now and compared to action films you don't get much more fun than the action in that because it's all encompassing, it's everywhere, you're surrounded by it. But that's cool, but while I'm doing it, I'm like I definitely don't want to do that kind of stuff forever, and yet I'm having the best time on it."

For her part, the two-time Oscar winner said, "I just wanted to work as an actor and find challenging things and challenge myself in new ways, but not that I said, 'now it's time to find this' or 'now it's time to find that,' but definitely it's mixing it up for myself."

Thank you SO much for this wonderful article about PS-ILY, it did'nt start out too well, but as it went along, it got better & better!! Who could love Gerry to pieces, just like I do??

He's so GORGEOUS and just oozes charm!! There is no actor like him!!

Big Gerry Hugs,

Posted Image

Manila Bulletin Online

All the guilty pleasures of chick flickery ignited—and fortunately sustained—in "P.S. I Love You," the romantic comedy starring Hilary Swank and Gerard Butler.

Although some critics previously slammed the film after its Hollywood release on Dec. 21, 2007, those who saw "P.S. I Love You" (yes, same title of the 80s Sharon Cuneta- Gabby Concepcion movie and the Beatles song) during its press screening here in Manila found it a fully-knitted drama/comedy spiced up with killer lines and sniff–sniff moments.

The movie is based on Irish writer Cecelia Ahern's first novel which was published in 2004. Like the film, the book received lukewarm critics' welcome but it reached No. 1 bestseller status in Ireland (for 19 weeks), the United Kingdom, US, Germany, and the Netherlands.

Wikipedia.org said the film was mostly consistent with the novel and the story of Holly Kennedy, who share a nine–year marriage with Irish Gerry Kennedy. Like all couples, they reflect the seemingly never-ending pendulum spell of word wars, which are only worth the effort when it reaches post-war stage (Read: Kiss-and-makeup time).

Holly and Gerry are first seen on the onset of what would later be a full blown argument about trivial stuff (yet taxing while you're at it) like deciding when to have a baby, wanting a bigger apartment or being honest with what parents think about their in–laws. Again, as in any other couples, Holly and Gerry would only arrive at a realization realize each time that no matter what, they are for each other.

Tragedy meanwhile has a meandering and inexplicable way of showing up at couple's door and turning everything up and under: Gerry dies of a brain tumor at 35 but leaves letters and instructions delivered to Holly right when she needed a crutch to go on. How he was doing that post–life was a twist worth two hours and six minutes of movie time.

Hollywood recently retouched on chick–flicks; what stories that used to be faithful to women ("My Best Friend's Wedding," "Sleepless in Seattle" and "While You Were Sleeping") became mostly plots also catering to younger audiences who are fans of the likes of Hilary Duff or "High School Musical" "PS I Love You" meanwhile is more of homage to past chick flicks and cater to more mature audience. The acting between Hilary Swank and Kathy Bates (who plays her mother) almost had Oscar undertones. Elements of letters and implored constant object style (in the form of Gerry's suspenders clip) make that classic point clear.

Romance for action?

The lead actors Hilary Swank and Gerard Butler themselves revealed about the idea of love letters: "I think love letters are great, even if they're short little notes left in a coat or something," said Swank who may look miscast in a Julia Roberts area at first but manages to portray the New Yorker Holly and draw audience to the character.

Gerard Butler plays the charismatic Scottish who can do everything (sings, dances and plays in a band) but instant status climbs for him and his wife. He said that writing letters is "a lost art [so] it is extra special when one writes a handwritten one these days."

Both Butler and Swank have been involved with action/suspense movies of late ("300" and "Butterfly on a Wheel" for Butler and "The Reaping" for Swank) so jumping into New York romance and Ireland splendor was a breath of fresh air.

Butler, who was once rumored to be playing James Bond said, "There are things I prefer about both [action and romance]. Normally when I'm doing action I think I prefer romance, and when I'm doing romance I think I prefer action. I'm doing a romantic movie right now and compared to action films you don't get much more fun than the action in that because it's all encompassing, it's everywhere, you're surrounded by it. But that's cool, but while I'm doing it, I'm like I definitely don't want to do that kind of stuff forever, and yet I'm having the best time on it."

For her part, the two-time Oscar winner said, "I just wanted to work as an actor and find challenging things and challenge myself in new ways, but not that I said, 'now it's time to find this' or 'now it's time to find that,' but definitely it's mixing it up for myself."

Thank you SO much for this wonderful article about PS-ILY, it did'nt start out too well, but as it went along, it got better & better!! Who could love Gerry to pieces, just like I do??

He's so GORGEOUS and just oozes charm!! There is no actor like him!!

Big Gerry Hugs,

Posted Image