Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
NordicGirl

Norwegian cover from spring 2007

I scanned this last spring but intended to translate the spread as well, - have not done so yet. Sorry!

Here are the images as least:

ETA: Have tried now.... Posted Image

Posted Image Eksklusivt intervju med GB= Exclusive interview with GB ( Stating the obvious ;) )

Posted ImagePosted Image

"WILDMAN - ON SCREEN AND IN HIS PRIVATE LIFE.

Gerard Butler is a genuine wildman - not only as the spartans' leader in the movie but privately as well. His life has been no Sunday School...."

Gerard Butler in the role as king Leonidas leads his 300 hoplites - heavy infantrymen - from Sparta against the overpowering Persian army of 250 000 soldiers invading Greece in 480 BC.

Gerard Butler has the part of Spartan king Leonidas who confronts the enormous Persian army accompanied by his 300 selected soldiers, buying time for a Greek counterattack.

The 300 are doomed but manage to hold their stand against impossible odds for three days.

CARTOON

The movie 300 is based on Sin City-author Frank Miller's cartoon retelling the historic battle of Thermopylae and directed by Dawn of the Dead-director Zack Snyder.

King Leonidas and his warriors choose to meet the enormous Persian army at the steep cliffs of Thermopylae. The gorge is so narrow that it allows only one chariot to pass, hindering the Persian king Xerxes to take advantage of his overwhelming supply of men.

Gerard Butler meets FilmMagasinet in his usual hyperactive style. Nicotine withdrawal playing havok with him.

- I go completely mad if I cannot smoke, the actor says - smoking 60-a-day.

- They say you will die from smoking but I'll die if I cannot have one,exclaimes the actor with his usual boisterous laughter.

- Being a smoker you look extraordinary well in this movie?

- Make up, make up! To be honest I didn't smoke during filming. When I was told the part was mine I quit. I knew that to do the necessary physical training smoking would not do - especially not the way I smoked. It would take stamina and strength but more than anything else this rigorous regime would require appetite. You had to eat a lot and smoking takes away the appetite. The six months in training before the shoot taught me a lot about eating right. Eating every 2 hours is definately what is best for your metabolism.

Posted Image

EXTREMES

- I'm an extreme person, I can go from trainingaddict one minute to couch potato the next. By the way not exactly couch potato but no training and large amounts of coffee, cigarettes and hedonism. When I do train it's because I'm motivated by a role that is very physical.

- Talking about extremes, how do you come to grips with an extreme role like this one as it is based on a Fank Miller-cartoon?

- I trained for several months - 6 hours a day to be physically equipped for the part. I read up on the battle in a lot of history-books, but Frank Miller's cartoon stayed in focus because we were trying to recreate the cartoon, - not the historic battle. It was still important to get under the skin of king Leonidas - try to understand what went on in his head preparing for a battle he was doomed to loose. He must have been an excellent orator and with enormous charisma to have the soldiers, all volunteers, marching with him to certain death.

TROUBLE

It was not exactly an actor the scot Gerard Butler was supposed to be.

It was very far from his mind. Basically it was pretty occupied - being fired from a law firm just three days before he was qualified to practice law after seven years of studies. That career went right up in smoke. This was at a time when he thought he was Jim Morrison and drank like him. Culminating with him getting the sack.

He had developed a drinking problem , just like his father before him. In addition he was using drugs.

- I was completely mad at the time, filled with an uncontrollable energy. Partly destructive. I was balancing on the edge - literally.

He once jumped from pilar to pilar on top of a 46 stories high building. Another time he was hanging by his hands, totally plastered, on the outside of a cruiseship at 5 a.m., singing "We are sailing."

The problem was, in hindsight, that he had used so many years of his life preparing for a future he really did not want.

A NEW LIFE

He is a completely different person today.

Gerard Butler does not drink anymore. In return he is smoking 60 cigarettes a day despite a dozen or more attempts to quit. He never risks running out of cigarettes...

- What made you change?

- To be honest because I was fired and didn't have to become a lawyer. A lot of the guys I was studying with became lawyers simply because of a familytradition, not because they liked the profession. Being fired saved my life. I'm pretty sure of that. I packed up my stuff and moved from Glasgow to London, telling myself:- Fook, you have been screwing up your life! I'm going to be a fooking star!

From the time he was four untill the time he was sixteen he had not seen his father. His parents were divorced in Canada. The mother took her three kids, all under the age of six, and moved back to Scotland.

As a sixteen year old he met his father again - at a restaurant. He went in, looking around to figure out who the father could be.

- I remember I cried for hours meeting him - out of anger and remorse that he had not been in touch once during all those years.

ADVENTURER

His father was an adventurer and totally irresponsible.

- He could tell the most amazing stories. I don't think he had a mean streak in him, he was simply stark raving nuts.

Some years later Gerard was told that his father had stranded in Africa. He had gone to Togo to buy gold but was fooled and ended up with copper instead. In addition he had been afflicted with malaria.

- I wanted to go to fooking Togoland to rescue him but his french-canadian wife insisted she would do it. This ended up with her breaking her leg and the two of them in a hospitalbed each..

Eventually they returned to Canada, if possible even more broke than they had been.

PSYCHE

- Earlier you have taken on parts of the likes of Attila and the phantom of the opera. You tend to do extreme choices. Is this due to your experiences in life?

- Possibly it has to do with my own psyche. I like the extreme. Possibly the life I have lived. I have gone from being a lawyer to a flat broke beach bum.

I would never settle for purely action or movies like Dear Frankie.

Still I'd say that the smaller films like Dear Frankie are the biggest challenges as an actor.

I prefer working with the everyday human emotions.

Working with a movie like 300 gives other types of rewards, not least the physical aspect. And the challenge of working in front of a screen and in a studio.

It's two very different worlds.

When I look at 300 I do not see myself acting, I watch it like anyone else. This is due to a couple of things, - for instance a lot has happened to the scene, since I did my bit, via computers.

Although I had to somehow get Zack Snyder's ideas about it it was nearly impossible to fully understand what the finished movie would look like. This is why I have no problems watching king Leonidas without seeing that he is me.

This is one of the great things about this movie, - it really shows to what extent I immerged myself into the character."

Edited by NordicGirl

Oh, so cool, EM!!

:thankyou:

I keep forgetting that you're at least BI-lingual. You're a smart wee cookie!

:metoyou::embarassed: Btw I'm rearranging the Beo-vid to a vid for our international fanmily, - different images but same tune... ;)

I'm finally trying to translate this.

Please remember that it has been translated from an interview that was done in english to norwegian, - and now back again! If you see obvious spelling mistakes or weird wording:

please PM me!

:thankyou:

Hugs from Eva Mari, - thrilled that he has since stopped smoking! :wub:

( Not to mention other stuff.... :thud: )

Edited by NordicGirl

Thank you for sharing this with us EM!!! You naughty GAL you :rotflmao: !!

Paige :wave:

Posted ImageMOI ?!?

* Looks over spread to spot where busted. Are there any droolmarks? Lack of color on photo? *

WHOAT ? ! ?Posted Image

Edited by NordicGirl

No there is not but you are naughty either way XD :rotflmao:

Paige :wave:

:bounce:

:thankyou: so much, Eva Mari!

Gals, Eva Mari has given us permission to host 'em in the Gallery, and I added them

here

Thank you EM for doing this for all of us!!!

:wave: Moonie! And :thankyou: I only wish there were more covers!!! :wub: