Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Stef with an F

2/8 - The 6 Glorious Heist Movies of 2008

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/02/07/the...movies-of-2008/

by Alex Billington

In the immortal words of Dane Cook, "Where's the van?! The van was supposed to be here!" Or as he better put it, "Any guy here would rather be part of a heist." That couldn't be more true. What self-righteous movie-fanatic male doesn't want to be part of a heist? But unfortunately if none of your friends are skilled criminals, you'll have to resort to watching heist movies like the rest of us. There is no Ocean's Thirteen this year, but there is a line-up of six glorious heist movies that will each provide their own amazing experience. If you're ready to get in on the plan, then let's take a look at 2008's heist movies.

The definition of heist, according to Dictionary.com, is "to take unlawfully, esp. in a robbery or holdup." So, almost anything where a robbery takes place is a heist. But if you consider at the Hollywood definition, it usually involves some elaborate plan and a team of individuals each with their own set of skills. Whether it's Heat or the Ocean's films or even The Italian Job, every guy has a favorite heist movie in his collection. This year there are six new additions that should earn a place in your collection, too.

RocknRolla

Director: Guy Ritchie | Starring: Gerard Butler, Thandie Newton, Chris "Ludacris" Bridges, Jeremy Piven, Idris Elba, Tom Wilkinson

Release Date: October 3rd

The Con: London's criminal underworld takes notice of a Russian mobster's shady land deal, a scam that puts millions of dollars up for grabs.

Guy Ritchie brought us, arguably, the greatest heist movie in history, Snatch in 2000, and has yet to follow it up with a comparable flick. Eight years later, Ritchie finally returns to his roots and has written and directed another London mob movie that involves numerous heists. I wouldn't be lying if I were to tell you that this is probably the one British heist movie that I'm most excited for in 2008. I love Guy Ritchie's movies and am expecting nothing but brilliant British entertainment with RocknRolla. His movies aren't entirely about the heist, at least not out in front, and yet that's why they're able to trick you in the end. I have full confidence in Guy Ritchie and really hope that RocknRolla is another classic.

The world just wouldn't be the same place without heist movies! Thankfully this year's line-up looks like it will deliver. Although six is a bit skimpy, none of these look like they're forgettable films, meaning out of six we should have at least one really good heist movie and five semi-good heist movies by the end of the year. And the line-up of lead actors includes Jason Statham, Jim Sturgess, Michael Caine, Ewan McGregor, Gerard Butler, and Pierce Brosnan, a powerhouse set of some fine actors. Whether 2008 goes down as an unforgettable year or not, at least we'll see some quality heists go down around the world.

:bellydance: Pardon the pun but 'Rolla' on October!

Thank you Stef,:wub:

Hugs,

Anna X

Guy Ritchie brought us, arguably, the greatest heist movie in history, Snatch in 2000, and has yet to follow it up with a comparable flick. Eight years later, Ritchie finally returns to his roots and has written and directed another London mob movie that involves numerous heists. I wouldn't be lying if I were to tell you that this is probably the one British heist movie that I'm most excited for in 2008. I love Guy Ritchie's movies and am expecting nothing but brilliant British entertainment with RocknRolla. His movies aren't entirely about the heist, at least not out in front, and yet that's why they're able to trick you in the end. I have full confidence in Guy Ritchie and really hope that RocknRolla is another classic.

AMEN MR. BILLINGTON!!!!

I'd be waiting in line for this one even if it didn't have G in it!! wOOt!!

:wave: ANNA!

I am really looking forward to this movie. I absolutely loved Snatch. I hope this one is just as great!

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/02/07/the...movies-of-2008/

by Alex Billington

In the immortal words of Dane Cook, "Where's the van?! The van was supposed to be here!" Or as he better put it, "Any guy here would rather be part of a heist." That couldn't be more true. What self-righteous movie-fanatic male doesn't want to be part of a heist? But unfortunately if none of your friends are skilled criminals, you'll have to resort to watching heist movies like the rest of us. There is no Ocean's Thirteen this year, but there is a line-up of six glorious heist movies that will each provide their own amazing experience. If you're ready to get in on the plan, then let's take a look at 2008's heist movies.

The definition of heist, according to Dictionary.com, is "to take unlawfully, esp. in a robbery or holdup." So, almost anything where a robbery takes place is a heist. But if you consider at the Hollywood definition, it usually involves some elaborate plan and a team of individuals each with their own set of skills. Whether it's Heat or the Ocean's films or even The Italian Job, every guy has a favorite heist movie in his collection. This year there are six new additions that should earn a place in your collection, too.

RocknRolla

Director: Guy Ritchie | Starring: Gerard Butler, Thandie Newton, Chris "Ludacris" Bridges, Jeremy Piven, Idris Elba, Tom Wilkinson

Release Date: October 3rd

The Con: London's criminal underworld takes notice of a Russian mobster's shady land deal, a scam that puts millions of dollars up for grabs.

The world just wouldn't be the same place without heist movies! Thankfully this year's line-up looks like it will deliver. Although six is a bit skimpy, none of these look like they're forgettable films, meaning out of six we should have at least one really good heist movie and five semi-good heist movies by the end of the year. And the line-up of lead actors includes Jason Statham, Jim Sturgess, Michael Caine, Ewan McGregor, Gerard Butler, and Pierce Brosnan, a powerhouse set of some fine actors. Whether 2008 goes down as an unforgettable year or not, at least we'll see some quality heists go down around the world.

I can't wait. I'll bet RockNRolla will be the best, just because Gerry is a part of it. HORAY GERRY GO!!

I think this movie will be definitely as good as Snatch, with GB in it it's a winner!

:ohbaby2:

I am really looking forward to this movie. I absolutely loved Snatch. I hope this one is just as great!

You know it will be twice as good, just because Gerry is the lead character. Who was in Snatch? Could not have been a match for our Guy, you know!

shirsan :tasty:

Totally looking forward to this one as well. The whole gangster thing...I'd see it even without Gerry in it... But I must admit I am interested to see the chemistry between Gerry and Thandie as well. I bet it will be SMOKIN'

I can't wait for this movie and im glad it is getting great hype before it's released!

Brumie

I'll just "submerge" to the gutter right now before I get myself in trouble ...

I'm just hoping there's lots of sex scenes. :) Oops, did I say that?

From your fingertips to God's ears...

OMG Holly. Dont make me whoop you!

SNATCH? Um..... scuse me but that was the name of a movie? :laugh: Guess I better check this out..Is Snatch rentable! Everytime I use that word.....never mind! :rotflmao:

:wave: Fran

SNATCH? Um..... scuse me but that was the name of a movie? :laugh: Guess I better check this out..Is Snatch rentable! Everytime I use that word.....never mind! :rotflmao:

:wave: Fran

Yes, it is a movie, and yes, it is rentable. The main star in it was Brad Pitt (you know, the guy who wishes he had fans like GB does).

It's a Guy Ritchie movie, and Brad Pitt wasn't half bad in it at all.

All of these sound great, I love a good heist movie.

this will be a big movie, i can tell.

p.s. can anyone tell me what 'mop boy' is? i'm new to GALS & i see it all over the site.

THX!

p.s. i love you, gerry.

Can't wait, Jason Statham is my man too. Can't wait to see both their movies.

It is always good to see Gerry, in whatever film is but I confess that I most like the fun part of him than his hard side!

We are here counting the days for the debut of the film then! I think this is going to be great but we have Alex Rover in April, with Nims Island!

Yes!!! this year I think I will suffer less by Gerard's nostalgia!

:wave: Hi!

Can't wait until October. Sounds like a great cast besides Gerry.

Later and cheers...Tamarra

yay! im so excited for this movie! finally, people will stop saying that Gerry is just "that guy from 300" :wub:

im excited for all his new movies coming up!!!! im sure he'll do a smashing job because all us GALS know he is one SEXY bloke! :heat: