Sign in to follow this  
becozy

3/19 - Zeta Jones to star in Freundlich film

From: http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=ca...982660&cs=1

Zeta Jones to star in Freundlich film

The Film Department to unveil pic at Cannes

By DAVE MCNARY

Posted: Wed., Mar. 19, 2008, 12:36pm PT

Catherine Zeta Jones will star in an untitled romantic comedy for The Film Department with Bart Freundlich directing from his own script. Shooting starts April 17.Tim Perell, Freundlich, Mark Gill and Robert Katz are producing, with Neil Sacker and Michael Goguen exec producing. Lori Keith Douglas is co-producer.

The project, a Process production, is set in New York City about a 25-year-old man and his new neighbor -- an older single mother who catches more than his eye.

The Film Department Intl., led by newly appointed president Steve Bickel, will be unveiling the pic at Cannes along with "Law Abiding Citizen," a thriller starring Gerard Butler that will start lensing in the summer.

Gill and Sacker founded The Film Department last July as an independent movie finance, production and international sales company with a $200 million capitalization. The company plans to fully finance and produce six films annually with budgets between $10 and $45 million.

Way to go Gerry, more exposure for his up and coming projects! I'm soooo excited for him!

So when is Gerry gonna take a vacation????

Guest greyeyegoddess

Ok, I'm not quite sure about how I'm reading this. How is the movie going to be shown at Cannes if it's not filming (lensing) until the summer? It would definitely push the Ugly Truth out of the way.

I understand that at Cannes, filmmakers go there to get companies to distribute the films, which might be the case here. Maybe there will be a poster ready for the distributors.

I'm confused. :confused:

~alice

:music:

Ok, I'm not quite sure about how I'm reading this. How is the movie going to be shown at Cannes if it's not filming (lensing) until the summer? It would definitely push the Ugly Truth out of the way.

I understand that at Cannes, filmmakers go there to get companies to distribute the films, which might be the case here. Maybe there will be a poster ready for the distributors.

I'm confused. :confused:

~alice

I don't think they actually have to show films there to get people interested in distributing them when they are completed. The simply "pitch" some future projects by saying who is producing (our Gerry on some now), who is starring ( our Gerry in this particular project), etc. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think some projects are actually completed and viewed, and some are forcast.

Guest greyeyegoddess

That's why I mentioned the distributors. I know of two films I'm waiting for, that won't be shown until Cannes for the distributors. It just sounded like the film was being congratulated on being shown there, when hadn't been made.

I can see the idea that the company will debut or inform distributors of the upcoming film. Whatever happens, someone better grab it.

~alice

I think you might be right, Shirsan.

It was announced at last year's Cannes that he would be doing Capone Rising and others. So, I think that is the place to put the word out.

I often look at his schedule and think, "Poor guy." Then I remember that he is doing what he loves to do. His work is his joy and this next film will be a great joy for him since, for the first time, he will have some creative control. I'll bet that he is looking forward to the coming of summer, when filming begins. I think that work is a vacation for him.

ok, so I know Evil Twins is a production company, yes? So is "The Film Department" financing Law Abiding Citizen as well as selling it at Cannes? Inquiring minds must know! lol. I guess I don't understand how all of this stuff works with these smaller movie companies. For me it's just really nice to these companies giving the big guys some serious competition....because the big guys, frankly, sometimes just make big budgeted crap.

In fact Gerry Butler said in an interview once that they pander to the lowest common denominator, or something like that. (And I loved him from that moment on!) $10 to $45 million, wow.

Edited by lisa722

I'm pretty sure they announce films with "stars" there to get not only more backing but to sure up distribution rights.

Gerry once said that he'll sleep (or was it rest) when he's dead.

I swear he did,

I heard his words in my ears. :D

Hi GALS,

I just said that to myself as I drove into work after my other work. "I suppose I'll sleep when I'm dead".

For quick overview of Cannes you can have a look at this site

http://www.cannesguide.com (Sorry the Create link thingo confused me...not hard)

Its quite interesting if you are interested. I was interested so if you are interested.

Cheers Charli

Way to go Gerry, more exposure for his up and coming projects! I'm soooo excited for him!

He needs to slow down and smell the roses of his success.

Well... maybe someday... :wuv:

:erik: Ebony Eyes :phantom:

I often look at his schedule and think, "Poor guy." Then I remember that he is doing what he loves to do. His work is his joy and this next film will be a great joy for him since, for the first time, he will have some creative control. I'll bet that he is looking forward to the coming of summer, when filming begins. I think that work is a vacation for him.

I think that schedule is why Gerry made the comment on Extra that he says no to things he loves. Or maybe he meant people. I don't know how he could sustain a relationship with someone when he is always on the move. I just hope that at the end of the day, he is happy!

Never you mind Suzie, but if he's not at the airport to meet me to get on the plane in Sept. there will be trouble! :tantrum::wuv:

Cassie

Yes, very good theses projects .... Because, we have a chance to see him at Cannes next year (or this year may be) ... But Gerry, don't forget to tell us you're visiting French Riviera ... Because, I will suddenly be sick in may, during two weeks ... and I will need to take sun on the coast, where I will be focussed on ... the red carpet ...

Good for Gerry but he needs to rest I looked at those pics of him in Beverly Hills coming out the hospital he looked kind of bumfuzzled. he looked so tired and then he went to the gym? wow He really needs to rest. Raina Snow Betts

From my POV the adrinilin is running at supersonic speed and with care GB can handle it. At the moment he has just HIMSELF to be concerned with no relationships etc. to contend with. Right now it is GB and his career, PERIOD.

Sweet! I really like Catherine Zeta-Jones and I am glad to see her doing something besides rom-com again. Rock on, Gerry!

Guest DonnaKat

It looks like Gerry might be filming Law Abiding Citizen very soon.... :D

Darabont to direct $40m crime thriller for The Film Department

Frank Darabont will direct the thriller Law Abiding Citizen starring Gerard Butler for The Film Department, which is selling international rights here.

Production is set to begin on August 18 in Detroit on the low-$40m range story of a criminal mastermind who controls a city from the confines of his prison cell. Butler will play the prosecutor who stands in his way.

Darabont would appear to be well suited for the project given his taste for prison dramas like The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile.

Kurt Wimmer wrote the screenplay and Lucas Foster (Mr & Mrs Smith) is producing with Alan Siegel and Butler.

The Film Department's international sales chief Steve Bickel is also talking up Bart Freundlich's romantic comedy The Rebound with Catherine Zeta-Jones and Justin Bartha, adventure The Peak 3D and Second World War thriller Brothers In Arms.

I'm sure that Gerry's projects and new production company are far more important than any vacation. If he gets to Cannes, he can combine business and pleasure..........the French Riviera must be gorgeous.

Great news! Congratulations Evil Twins and Film Dept! Shake a leg!

:goodjob::wow2:

Thanks Donna for getting this news to us. I am really looking forward to this project.