Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Songbird

Talent Showcase 2008 - To be or not to be?

Take our Poll!  

35 members have voted

1. 1. For Convention Attendees only. We would like to know if you're interested in a Talent Showcase at this year's convention.

• Yes! I loved last year's show!
    • Yes! I wasn't there last year and am looking forward to seeing this year's show!
    • Yes, but I would prefer a briefer show.
    • No! I prefer more time for after dinner mixing and mingling.
    • No, I would rather see a professional act.
    • I don't care one way or another.

We want to poll our membership who are going to attend this year's convention, to get an idea of whether or not you all would be interested in having a Talent Showcase.

If we do decide to have a showcase, we want to give priority to any attendees who have not yet performed in the past, then we'll consider any past performers.

Please take the above poll and let us know your opinion!

Songbird

ETA: 4-2-08 - New Poll Question to assist in knowing how many NEW performers we can count on for the still very potential Talent Showcase 2008!!

ETA #2: I think I messed something up when I tried to edit the poll last night. I'm tweaking now to see if I can get it set back. *sigh* :tantrum: STEEEEFFFFF!! :tissues:

Hi Katie,

In my case, I've performed enough!

I would still like to see our GALS talent showcased, but I think a briefer show would be great, so we have more time for dancing and mingling afterward!

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

Hi Katie!!!!I have to say that I loved not only performing in last year's show, watching the other performers....I'm sure you remember how nervous I was, but the wonderful comments I recieved afterwards, I will never forget....I never imagined in my life making that many people wet their pants.....(at least that's what they told me)....but just like Swannie said, maybe a briefer show would be nice, to allow for more time to dance and mingle......the show last year seemed to not leave us much time afterward......but it was very enjoyable to watch and participate.....

Very cool ideas Katie! :wave:

I would love to see a talent showcase!

I may or may not attend, so I'm not officially voting, but I do have a suggestion. As a singer I would prefer to have the showcase BEFORE dinner. Not only do nerves keep me from enjoying a meal, but I do NOT eat immediately before performing. I ate a cold dinner and had my peeps threatening death if the waitress took it away so I could eat it afterwards :lol:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! I can't ever eat before performing, and even though my hubby had them set aside my meal for after I sang, they took it away before I had the chance to eat, so my dinner was actually chips later that night, up in the hospitality suite! LOL!

Swannie

Hi Ladies

I have no flair for this kinda thing so my only talent will be showing up, which I plan on aceing :penguin:

I missed it last year but did really enjoy watching the vids and would like to see a showcase this year but either way I'm easy :p

hugs

Snap xx

I missed it last year but did really enjoy watching the vids and would like to see a showcase this year but either way I'm easy :p

hugs

Snap xx

*slaps duct tape over fingers so as NOT to reply to that* :lol:

Glad to hear you'll be making the trek across the water Celine!

:hugs: to you. :kisswink:

Jilly

I'm not sure how we could settle everyone down enough to do the show prior to dinner. But I feel your pain. You should have been emcee'ing the event, too. I don't think I even remember what we had for dinner that night! :spit:

Katie...just one little suggestion.....for the sake of the performers, maybe make sure that someone is video taping the whole showcase.....as perfromer, I was a little dissappointed last year when I found out that my performance wasn't taped by anyone....I had family anf friends who would liked to have seen it.....I understand it is hard to think of everything to please everyone, so I just thought I'd mention this.... :kisswink:

Amy, you are so right, and I am so sorry that you don't have a video of yourself from that night! The fact that we did not have a video of the show was, I believe, an oversight on our part from last year. I think one person thought another person was filming..I'm not exactly sure, but we will 'fix it.'

I worked pretty hard on the show myself, and I would have loved a copy of the whole thing! :lol:

If it's decided that there is to be a Talent Showcase for this year, we will definitely plan to have someone in attendance to (steadily) video tape it in it's entirety!

Hugs,

Katie

P.S. Sorry to have taken so long to answer. I'm fighting a sinus infection. NOW since going to the doctor and having a steroid shot today, I'm fighting hyperactivity and the lack of urge to go to SLEEP! GAH!!!

Guest greyeyegoddess

I thought someone was videotaping last year??

I tried to, with my camera that had video capabilities, but the lighting was so bad, it didn't come out.

I will be setting up my video camera this year. And if we vote on a webcam, that might be something. But I would strongly suggest that if you want something taped, to find or bring your own. It's better to be prepared than to be sorry.

Maybe we can have the show during dinner instead of after dinner? Or during dessert? That way it's like having entertainment and dinner. Would that cut into socializing time? For those who want to perform before eating, can do so, but it won't take time away from mingling afterwards.

I don't think there is ever enough time to mingle. If we were given a whole day, it still wouldn't be enough.

~alice

:music:

Alice, I am truly sorry. A lot of water has gone under my bridge since last year. Your efforts last year are greatly appreciated, as are Abrock's and everyone else who may have been filming during the show, and further, everyone who provided footage to our site in order to provide some wonderful video downloads of some of the performances!

Additionally, I believe we have already posted in our Multimedia, all footage that we could garner from everyone's various videotapes during the show.

NOT ONE PERSON contacted me with this particular complaint, but I want to stress this so that it is perfectly clear. - No act was purposely omitted from the videos or downloadable files. Again, NO ONE has indicated, to my knowledge, anything of the sort, but mainly for those who might view the ones available in Multimedia and wonder why some other acts are not available, I have explained it here in this post.

Also, I had a LOT of things going on at the same time pre-show and was majorly multi-tasking, so that it could come off as as seamlessly and professionally as possible, (which I think for the most part it did.) I don't even remember whether or not I ate that night, and for a fluffy gal like me, that should really put my point in great perspective. We did our best. If we have another show, we'll endeavor to improve!

I want to once again personally thank each and every participant in last year's show! I thought everyone was a 'winning act' simply because they were willing to face their audience with courage and share something very personal within themselves! You are ALL CLASS ACTS!!

Back to Alice's other points:

I agree that each participant, to be sure they get a video of everything they may want to capture at the con, in a perfect world, should bring their own camera, videocam, etc., but not everyone's budget can allow for that.

As for when the show may actually begin, duration, etc., rest assured that those details will be worked out accordingly, and AFTER the results of this poll, and AFTER further discussion within The Mod Squad. We don't want to get the cart before the horse here.

That's nice about your joy of mingling. :) I think we can all say that! Three days of it isn't near enough for me! :lol:

I'm trying to vote, but its not going through. I would vote " yes ", I wasn't there last year to see the talent show, so this year I would love to see it.

Hugs, M

Guest greyeyegoddess

Oh Katie...YOU DID AN EXCELLENT JOB! I can't stop talking about what a job you did. I wasn't pointing fingers, but I thought there was videoing going on. No apology necessary. Even when I thought there was others who were taping, I still tried.

As far as everyone bringing a camera, I know that's not possible, but I bet if we ask friends, maybe those who have a camera, but didn't pack it last time, would like to bring their camera. I'm just trying to make this less on you and the organizers, and more for the members. I know that after my trial and error, I wasn't going to come back without one. But that's just me. I just don't want people to depend on or blame others for not getting this done. I have offered, but as a mod with responsibilities, I can't promise anything...just that I'm bringing and setting up the camera.

With or without the camera, we still had an excellent time!

I think there is a clip that I have, but not part of the talent show....um...it's of someone dancing...Hammertime! :pointy:

~alice

:music:

Last years show WAS during dinner wasn't it? Hence the issues of not being able to eat it. :lol: Actually the one thing I DO remember that was very distracting was the noise. Diane did a wonderful dramatic interpretation and they dishes were being cleared at the time. We kept hearing CLANG CRASH as they put them into a bin. I remember tossing around the idea of a buffet table and hor dourves/ mingling party for the first night. Two sit down dinners kept us all at tables for a long time and if it was decided to do the talent then buying a dinner you couldn't eat wouldn't be an issue cuz you could get something later. It would also encourage mingling and more interaction with everyone.

Just a thought.

And I know this isn't the right thread but the second night when the video finalists are shown THAT should be during dinner and not after, cuz it did take a long time.

The talent show, seriously, there are some mighty MIGHTY talented GALS on here, I say go for it!!

I think I created a glitch within the poll when I added the second question yesterday.

Oh yeah, I screwed the entire pooch. LOL!

I'll consult with my computer gurus and get back to you.

In the meantime, if you come here to vote regarding your desire to have or not have a Talent Showcase, then if you feel comfortable doing so, you may make a post accordingly in which to cast your vote. Otherwise, just wait until (probably STEF, saves me from myself and this poll! LOL!)

Also for right now, prior to knowing the outcome, let's just stay focused on the poll itself, and if we decide to have a show, we'll work out the logistics, and get all your feedback on those issues. Okay everyone?

Hugs,

Katie

Please see the new poll.

I'm closing this topic.