Gerard Butler GALS

3/29 - Bob Thompson: Gerard Butler loves his fans, really!

zanyzombie

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/t...ans-really.aspx

Posted: March 29, 2008, 11:52 AM by Ronald Nurwisah

Bob Thompson: Gerard Butler loves his fans, really!

:thankyou: Swan!

I heard it through the Internet grapevine that some fans of Gerard Butler think that my recent profile quotes him saying he doesn't like his fans. That couldn't be farther from the truth. In fact, the quote in question illustrates how devoted he is to his followers. And he has many. As he should have.

The Glaswegian is not only talented but entertaining to speak with, as witty as he is wise. He is also a bit caustic and vivid in his descriptions. But please Butlerites read the piece again. Read the quote again. When you do will understand this: I am as a big of fan of the actor's honesty as you are his talent.

Photo: Actor Gerard Butler loves his fans about as much as he loves having his arm around Hillary Swank (who wouldn't?). (Mario Anzuoni/Reuters)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Merged Topics

from: http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/t...ans-really.aspx

Reel Time

I heard it through the Internet grapevine that some fans of Gerard Butler think that my recent profile quotes him saying he doesn't like his fans. That couldn't be farther from the truth. In fact, the quote in question illustrates how devoted he is to his followers. And he has many. As he should have.

The Glaswegian is not only talented but entertaining to speak with, as witty as he is wise. He is also a bit caustic and vivid in his descriptions. But please Butlerites read the piece again. Read the quote again. When you do will understand this: I am as a big of fan of the actor's honesty as you are his talent.

Thank you to Bob Thompson for addressing this issue. I think it speaks highly of Gerry, that even a journalist picks up on the man's honesty, and admires him for that quality. As an aspiring writer, I find it fascinating how the turn of a phrase can effect how one sees things.

I must learn to read things more carefully.

Swannie

from: http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/t...ans-really.aspx

Reel Time

What, a member of the press recounting his article. I can't believe it. I still know that I read that quote "verbatim" months ago. I like that, "Butlerites". That's probably as good a description of his fans as any. :wuv: says it better, tho.

Thank you to Bob Thompson for addressing this issue. I think it speaks highly of Gerry, that even a journalist picks up on the man's honesty, and admires him for that quality. As an aspiring writer, I find it fascinating how the turn of a phrase can effect how one sees things.

I must learn to read things more carefully.

Swannie

Thanks, Swannie. I'm so glad he has made an effort to correct the damaging portrait he painted. I know I read that statement from another interview, "vebatim" several months ago, and it isn't like Gerry to repeat himself "verbatim". He usually adds something or changes it somewhat. I still say it was "cut and paste." I wish I could see Gerry's reaction to his statement. I know he "loves" his fans and I think that will be evident again tomorrow at the premier. I wish I could see it somehow. Does anyone know if it will telecast somewhere? Last time there was a camcast from the theater. Does anyone know where to look to find it? Please email me at shirsan@aol.com tonight if anyone does.

Thanks again Swannie. You have met Gerry and know how he thinks. I think I do pretty much from what I have heard him say. That's what brought me to his "stable" to begin with. I don't give my support lightly. He has MORE than earned my devotion. He is one of the most talented actors I have seen in MANY years. Someone's siggy has him and Elvis, and his emotions remind me a LOT of Elvis. Elvis had that "brooding spirit" as well. It's one thing that makes him such a GREAT talent. He feels other people's emotions. Love him "absolutely" though eternity. Thanks again.

Sandy

Edited by shirsan

Hi Sandy! I can't wait for the premier pics and stories either. Yes I did meet Gerry, because of some lovely people who arranged his visit to the Convention, and because he took time out of his own schedule to stop by. As for knowing how he thinks? I've been trying for 3 years to figure this man out, but he's still an enigma to me! That's what makes it fun and exciting to follow his career!

Hugs,

Swannie

Thank you Bob Thompson, for clarifying what bothered some of Gerry's fans. :thankyou:

Gerry, we never doubted you. :wuv:

Liana

Edited by IListen

I just want to add: You know, some of the fans were not bothered at all by Bob's first article, and couldn't understand why others were. I am one who sort of wrestled back and forth with those comments, but I guess the point is, we all see things differently...and in this case, I guess we can read things differently too.

Much can be learned from being part of on-line communities!

Swannie

Uh...hmm. I didn't see a thing wrong with that article. I thought it was pretty good myself. I know some people are upset with the "missed the mark" comment, but it's actually true. Not saying any of those flicks were bad movies and bad choices for Gerry. I like most of those films. POTO was what brought Gerry to many of our attentions (for those who weren't already fans from his previous work). It just wasn't a major box office draw. Most people who went to see that were mainly people who were either fans of the stage prodcution, or always wanted to see the stage version but never could/did. Anyway, it's just they didn't bring the overwhelming success that 300 did. 300 really kicked the doors in for Gerry. Got him even more noticed by the entertainment industry. It's given him more opportunities then he's ever had. Yes, his other works also helped his career. Building blocks up to lead him where he is now. They just weren't as POW in your face, here I am successes (that's a lot of s's. heh). I think that's all the author was basically saying. Not putting them down. I agreed with that statement when I first read it, and I love Gerry, and his work, as much as anyone. I didn't think anything in that article was negative.

My thanks to Bob for tackling this issue. I'm sure he had

no idea he would be dealing with a bunch of pre and post menopausal women!!! :doh:

Just a joke..............

I have been writing him about this and he seems to really be interested

in what we think, so go to the blog and comment away!!!!

This is the email I just sent to Mr Thompson:

Dear Mr. Thompson,

As a Gerard Butler fan, I want to thank you for addressing the concerns some of us had, regarding your article:

http://www.nationalpost.com/arts/story.html?id=401592

Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Bob Thompson, National Post

What you may not know is that one of the reasons Gerard has such a loyal following, is because from the early days of his career, he established a special bond with his fans, often going out of his way to connect with fans, even on an individual basis. He has been known to write letters to them; to make personal phone calls to those who are ill, or who have suffered tragedy. When encountering fans at various industry functions, Gerard usually makes an effort to acknowledge his fans, even in the most chaotic of situations, and this charming behavior has truly endeared him to his large fanbase.

Following the remarkable success of 300, we've noticed a necessary change in Gerard's availability to his fans, and most of us understand the need to distance himself due to time and safety constraints. We are thrilled with his success and look forward to each new role he takes on.

It is unfortunate that Gerry's fanbase has largely been mischaracterized as a bunch of out of control, hormonal middle-aged women, stalking their favorite celebrity. It seems the actions of a few overzealous fans have tarnished the reputation of us all.... but having been part of this community for over three years, I can attest to the fact that the majority of these people are harmless, intelligent and charming women, who have found enjoyment and friendships in following Gerard's career.

Perhaps it was our sensitivity to this misconception that contributed to our misreading of your thoughtful article.

We find something refreshing about this fascinating and talented actor, and according to your new article, it seems you are in agreement.

Thanks again for addressing our concerns in such a timely fashion.

Sincerely,

Bonnie Anne

Portland OR

Hi Swannie,

Thanks :thankyou: for so eloquantly saying what so many of us felt.

:hugs: Liana

Edited by IListen

Swannie:

Thanks for writing the letter to Mr. Thompson.

As ususal your words always mimic my exact

thoughts.

You have such a wonderful gift for putting the

thoughts on paper.

You are a wonderful member of this small but

growing community.

Debbie

As I wrote in an other thread ... Chapeau bas Monsieur Butler. I always thought he was honnest with us and told what he thought, with a big sens of humour about himself and the world.

Thank you to this journalist who is as honnest as Gerry.

And if Gerry loves his fans, no doubt that his fans love Gerry !

Bonnie,

I'm so glad you sent that email. I know he will appreciate it.

It's nice to be here where we are not ridiculed for such things.

I've been over on the "darkside" about this and they are really

taking me to task for getting involved in this. What a bunch of

losers.

I was really concerned that so many people were troubled by

this column. That's why I mentioned it to him.

BTW, will miss seeing all of you at the convention this year.

Swannie, you said it all honey!

I'm glad someone is getting it straight about Gerry's fans. We are all here enjoying ourselves watching him grow and getting to know each other in the process. We are devoted and loving GALS that appreciate a great tallent, some people fail to recognize what we see. If reporters want to say bad things about us then who ever they are can kiss my butt, if they truly see what we are all about then that's a wonderful thing and I'm happy about this article! Thanks Bob Thompson!

Gerry, we all appreciate you and love you dearly!

Edited by hotlips70

Well where is my freaking post? :tantrum: I had scripted the most beautiful response to Swannie's email to Bob and my server went belly up and it was lost..........Well, sorry GALS you missed it :wave: Basically, I just wanted to chime in with everyone else and say how brilliant I think Swannie's email was and if GB doesn't appreciate such fans (I think he does, BTW) then he doesn't deserve them. You guys are amazing. JMHO :kisswink:

Nicely said, Swannie! Thanks for sending that letter, I'm glad that he addressed the issue and your letter is, I think, a great way to thank him for it.

~Mel