Gerard Butler GALS

3/29 - Bob Thompson: Gerard Butler loves his fans, really!

zanyzombie

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, I do not want Gerry EVER to change. I may not aways "get" him, or understand his quirky ways.... but I would hate it if he pretended to be someone he is not.

Sorsha, I enjoyed your post very much. I guess I hadn't realized the difference between social graces in the UK and the US. In actual fact, I was not raised to be politically correct.... I was raised never to open my mouth unless spoken to, and my mother pounded the old adage into us:

"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Hugs,

Swannie

Yes, Sorsha, I found what you wrote extremely insightful (is that the right word?) and it got me thinking, not just about the particular topic of conversation going on here, but about how we conduct ourselves throughout our lives in general. Thanks for posting your thoughts, they really made an impression on me.

And Swannie, your mother was a smart lady, it's been a long, long time since I've heard that particular saying but how lovely it is.

I have no doubt that Gerard loves his fans...While they take away from some of his privacy, I believe it is his fans he is grateful to. He is an honorable man and loves what his fans are...I am proud to be a GB fan as he is proud to the star in our eyes.

God Bless,

Deb :wuv:

I read the piece and I read all the comments. Those posts didn't say such nice things about Gerry's fans., I was hurt at those remarks. Some of the posts made fun of us older Gals., hey, we may be older, but we're not dead yet., this is what I would have posted in answer to they're horrible remarks. :tantrum:

Hugs, M

Edited by Midnight Diva

I read the piece and I read all the comments. Those posts didn't say such nice things about Gerry's fans., I was hurt at those remarks. Some of the posts made fun of us older Gals., hey, we may be older, but we're not dead yet., this is what I would have posted in answer to they're horrible remarks. :tantrum:

Hugs, M

Those people who called us big older women might like to know that we were there for Gerry , supporting him back when nobody knew his name. What a shame for them to dis us like that..

Hugs, M

I am 53 years old and I don't consider myself old at all...mature...my grandmother is old..I believe she is close to 100 now...I have a logn way to go before I am old...haha! Yes, it is the older women who supported him...and I will continue to do so...I will love him and be a fan at 53, 63 and all the 3's that come after that... He is after all a very attractive man and youa re quite right, we are older, not dead...:wave:

Hugs, M

I am 53 years old and I don't consider myself old at all...mature...my grandmother is old..I believe she is close to 100 now...I have a logn way to go before I am old...haha! Yes, it is the older women who supported him...and I will continue to do so...I will love him and be a fan at 53, 63 and all the 3's that come after that... He is after all a very attractive man and youa re quite right, we are older, not dead...:wave:

You go girl! I feel the same as you do. I may be older but I feel young and that is what counts. The old saying goes like this: " Never let an old person in your head", and that is how I think. People are sometimes so cruel aren't they? Making fun of others makes them feel superior. They have ego problems and no self confidence. I believe in living and let live. I must say though, those posts were brutel, and it did hurt me. But, thank God for Botox... hahahaha... lol

there may be snow on the mountain but fire in the heart. I am 63 and proud to say I have been A GAL for a longer time then some of the younger ones. And we were there when Gerry needed us and we will continue to be. Ya'll that said anything will be there one day. then think about what you say. I don't care what Gerry says or does I will be a fan, as long as I am able. Raina Snow Betts :tantrum:

Hugs, M

You go girl! I feel the same as you do. I may be older but I feel young and that is what counts. The old saying goes like this: " Never let an old person in your head", and that is how I think. People are sometimes so cruel aren't they? Making fun of others makes them feel superior. They have ego problems and no self confidence. I believe in living and let live. I must say though, those posts were brutel, and it did hurt me. But, thank God for Botox... hahahaha... lol

Don't let it get to you ro take it personally..people are mean but that can be their nature...You are only as old as you feel and I can tell you, I know I can dance circles around a young thing..haha! I can keep up with the best of them..I love my age and honestly, wouldn't do it over again...I am who I am because of the things life has shown me and they can make all the fun they want because one day, they too will be in our shoes..haha! Life is good and I will keep being a GB fan until I am older adn even more mature...

Hugs, M

Don't let it get to you ro take it personally..people are mean but that can be their nature...You are only as old as you feel and I can tell you, I know I can dance circles around a young thing..haha! I can keep up with the best of them..I love my age and honestly, wouldn't do it over again...I am who I am because of the things life has shown me and they can make all the fun they want because one day, they too will be in our shoes..haha! Life is good and I will keep being a GB fan until I am older adn even more mature...

Your so right Betts and Deb. I will be a Gerry fan for as long as I can breathe. I too was with him before most of those youngin's. I guess the people who made those bad comments about us are not realizing that one day they will be old. Life goes by very quickly, and before you know it, you are counting grey hairs. I don't take it personal, I just take it from where it comes... lol :spit:

Hugs, M

:wave: Hello,

I was in the middle of posting and my husband's computer died on me again when I tried to use the large list of emoticons, so I'm going to play it safe and not use any that I can't see without clicking on the list - a bit boring ....

As I was saying, I'm waiting for the exodus after Nim at Graumann's and maybe hopefully, will see something interesting - I missed the arrival, and the computer died again, my husband will not be a happy kitty if he finds out!!!

I had no idea that people had been saying nasty thing about Gerry's "older fans" and I'm not even going to try to see what has been said. Let those remarks lie in the dust where they belong. There always seems to be miserable people whose enjoyment comes from trying to make other people as miserable as themselves. Well, "B****R THEM" as Gerry would no doubt say! LOL

I loved your posts Deb, Midnight Diva and Raina!

Swannie and Blue Jay, thank you for your kind words. I've quite often found that being a "foreigner" in the places we have stayed has made me suddenly aware of things that I'd never really thought about, but which become important in the light of cultural differences ...

It's 2:02 here, a pretty time, and I hope I am going to stay awake and actually *see* something over on the Graumann's webcam ...

Love,

Sorsha

:gah:Older Girls Unite

Remember what singer Ronnie McDowell said about us,

OLDER WOMEN

Older women, make beautiful lovers

Older women, they understand

I've been around some, and I have discovered

That older women know just how to please a man.

(Verse)

Everybody seems to love those younger women

From eighteen on up to twenty-five

Well I love 'em too, but I'm tellin' you

Learnin' how to really love, takes a little time.

(Verse)

So baby don't you worry about growin' older

Those young girls ain't got nothin' in you

'Cause it takes some livin', to get good at givin'

And givin' love is just where you could teach them a thing or two.

I'm thrilled to know there is somebody on here older than me!!! :cheer:

:funnyup:

And I might add that it takes a lot of practice to make perfect. If I only knew back then, what I know now... lol... they would be lining up at my door.... :yummy::pant: lol... Yes, I love me... lol

Hugs, M

:gah:Older Girls Unite

Remember what singer Ronnie McDowell said about us,

OLDER WOMEN

Older women, make beautiful lovers

Older women, they understand

I've been around some, and I have discovered

That older women know just how to please a man.

(Verse)

Everybody seems to love those younger women

From eighteen on up to twenty-five

Well I love 'em too, but I'm tellin' you

Learnin' how to really love, takes a little time.

(Verse)

So baby don't you worry about growin' older

Those young girls ain't got nothin' in you

'Cause it takes some livin', to get good at givin'

And givin' love is just where you could teach them a thing or two.

I'm thrilled to know there is somebody on here older than me!!! :cheer:

:funnyup:

That is beautiful...thank you...Being older is a beatufiul thing..and the young ones will understand one day

This is the email I just sent to Mr Thompson:

Dear Mr. Thompson,

As a Gerard Butler fan, I want to thank you for addressing the concerns some of us had, regarding your article:

http://www.nationalpost.com/arts/story.html?id=401592

Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Bob Thompson, National Post

What you may not know is that one of the reasons Gerard has such a loyal following, is because from the early days of his career, he established a special bond with his fans, often going out of his way to connect with fans, even on an individual basis. He has been known to write letters to them; to make personal phone calls to those who are ill, or who have suffered tragedy. When encountering fans at various industry functions, Gerard usually makes an effort to acknowledge his fans, even in the most chaotic of situations, and this charming behavior has truly endeared him to his large fanbase.

Following the remarkable success of 300, we've noticed a necessary change in Gerard's availability to his fans, and most of us understand the need to distance himself due to time and safety constraints. We are thrilled with his success and look forward to each new role he takes on.

It is unfortunate that Gerry's fanbase has largely been mischaracterized as a bunch of out of control, hormonal middle-aged women, stalking their favorite celebrity. It seems the actions of a few overzealous fans have tarnished the reputation of us all.... but having been part of this community for over three years, I can attest to the fact that the majority of these people are harmless, intelligent and charming women, who have found enjoyment and friendships in following Gerard's career.

Perhaps it was our sensitivity to this misconception that contributed to our misreading of your thoughtful article.

We find something refreshing about this fascinating and talented actor, and according to your new article, it seems you are in agreement.

Thanks again for addressing our concerns in such a timely fashion.

Sincerely,

Bonnie Anne

Portland OR

Swansong - :yourock::ty::thewoman:

Oh My Gosh.

I NEVER in my life EVER expected to be called "a nut job" and other derogatory remarks along the same lines. I am 64 years old and I don't care what anyone thinks about my feelings for this awesome man. I fell in love with him in 1997 and my feelings and love have gotten stronger. I have never tried to get his phone number, or his REAL address, or sat at his door trying to get a glimpse of him. I admire him as a very good actor, then as a person, then as a gorgeous hunk of manhood. He has a fantastic sense of humor and I know, now that he is more in the lime light, so to speak, he is pursued, thus the "one finger salute" at times. It does make it hard for those of us that would never 'hang' on Gerry or pursue him crying at how much he touches us with his acting. That's why he acts!!!! To be someone else for a while and touch people's lives. If I had a memory, I'd be in the theatre. It's fun in some ways.

But, I read some of the 'comments' from those people? regarding Gerry's fans. We all realize those are opinions! And what did I tell you were opinions? "Opinions are like noses, everybody has one and they are always sticking it in other people's business", in this case, we can see that those nasty noses have brown tips. :mademe: oops!!! Did I say that????? Jealousy is an UGLY monster! But not everyone is going to like or love our Gerry, and that is understandable. But to put others down that do!, That's not copasetic. Sorry, there are a lot of actors and actresses that I cannot stand, but I never put down those that do. This just isn't right.

I do understand about the trying to get from one place to another thru a crowd of admirers. It is hard, when everyone wants to tell you how much they admire your work. You get to the point where you want to say something you wish you hadn't and are pushed to the point of rudeness. Been there, done that, to a much smaller degree, but know the feeling that Gerry feels when he would just like to GO!

Suffice it to say, I have never encountered any one on this site that acts like they could tackle Gerry in public and disrobe him. We might wish we could, but I am pretty sure the GALS and PALS here are not that type. We ALL respect him and his right to privacy.

I have spouted off enough.

Love and Hugs to All, AOGJo

Oh My Gosh.

I NEVER in my life EVER expected to be called "a nut job" and other derogatory remarks along the same lines. I am 64 years old and I don't care what anyone thinks about my feelings for this awesome man. I fell in love with him in 1997 and my feelings and love have gotten stronger. I have never tried to get his phone number, or his REAL address, or sat at his door trying to get a glimpse of him. I admire him as a very good actor, then as a person, then as a gorgeous hunk of manhood. He has a fantastic sense of humor and I know, now that he is more in the lime light, so to speak, he is pursued, thus the "one finger salute" at times. It does make it hard for those of us that would never 'hang' on Gerry or pursue him crying at how much he touches us with his acting. That's why he acts!!!! To be someone else for a while and touch people's lives. If I had a memory, I'd be in the theatre. It's fun in some ways.

But, I read some of the 'comments' from those people? regarding Gerry's fans. We all realize those are opinions! And what did I tell you were opinions? "Opinions are like noses, everybody has one and they are always sticking it in other people's business", in this case, we can see that those nasty noses have brown tips. :mademe: oops!!! Did I say that????? Jealousy is an UGLY monster! But not everyone is going to like or love our Gerry, and that is understandable. But to put others down that do!, That's not copasetic. Sorry, there are a lot of actors and actresses that I cannot stand, but I never put down those that do. This just isn't right.

I do understand about the trying to get from one place to another thru a crowd of admirers. It is hard, when everyone wants to tell you how much they admire your work. You get to the point where you want to say something you wish you hadn't and are pushed to the point of rudeness. Been there, done that, to a much smaller degree, but know the feeling that Gerry feels when he would just like to GO!

Suffice it to say, I have never encountered any one on this site that acts like they could tackle Gerry in public and disrobe him. We might wish we could, but I am pretty sure the GALS and PALS here are not that type. We ALL respect him and his right to privacy.

I have spouted off enough.

Love and Hugs to All, AOGJo

Well said! So, let me get this straight.......its ok if I WISH I could tackle and disrobe him as long as I don't actually do it? Cause I gotta tell you, I DO have those fantasies. :kisswink:

From the Crazy, Nut-Job from Oz!

Hi Crazy Nut Job :wave: . I'm also from Oz. Tell me. Is what he says true? Are we referred to as Butlerites? Perhaps someone could start a competition on here to see if we can't come up with a better name? For example, I'm also a very proud Balehead. Baleheads are very proud to be so called. 'Butlerites', well, it dinna soond so goot. Maybe the Brotherhood of the Kilt could help in that regard?

Cheers,

Fling

Believe me, we've been called worse! I think this is the first time I've heard the term Butlerites. There was one reporter some time ago who referred to us as "Gerry's Kids" and a few times we've been called "Butler's Babes."

It would be fun to come up with something a little more clever!

What's wrong with Butlerites? I like Gerry's Kids too, and Butler's Babes. Those are all great. If someone comes up with something more clever I'll love it too, but any name that tells the world we

admire, support and love Gerry is alright with me. Hey you guys, remember Beatlemanics? Noboby seems to mind that to much either. It does tell the world on which side of the man you stand.

Swannie

Hello again Gals! :wave: I've really missed coming here!

I'm back from the best trip of my life .... and I see that a lot has been going on!

OK Here goes, bear with me a while, I'd really like for people to read this ....

I still haven't got a new comp, I'm at a friends flat, and so I haven't read absolutely *everything* that has been written over the past few weeks, but what I have read has often made for uncomfortable reading indeed :flee: I was very sad to see that people have been so upset by what, to me, was just another episode of Gerry putting his foot in his mouth (I noticed quite a lot of other people thought this too) The first thing I saw here today was the Nim's telephone call transcript .... and I thought when I read Gerry saying something that would certainly have annoyed me a bit if he had said it to me, "Gerry, Gerry, how insensitive!" and then, "How very typically you!" when he excused himself in the next breath ... The person he said it to then said something like "I've got two boys, so ......" and I thought "You are spot on!" He just hasn't grown up in some areas, I think. Many men don't ..... I think Gerry will maybe have "foot in mouth" disease for the rest of his life, unless he makes a huge effort to change, but at his age that might be difficult - and I for one definitely wouldn't want him to. For me, that is a huge part of his charm ... and no, I'm not saying he's insensitive - he just comes across like that, briefly, sometimes... I love what makes up Gerry, the good the bad (yep, there has to be bad, I don't wear rose coloured glasses) and the .. rest. I can't use the word ugly in the same sentence as the name Gerry - just impossible!!

How often does he praise his fans? Often and at great lenghth! How often do we hear other actors do this? How often do journalists say the same thing to him? How often do we hear this said to other actors? Gerry cares about his fans and most journalists who have interviewed him seem to know this - Bob Thompson certainly seems to be aware of this and, (whether he meant to put Gerry in a bad light or not, as some people have said), realised that he could not, in all honesty, leave things the way they had been perceived by so many of Gerry's fans. I think he just made a big mess of cut and paste in a too hastily "composed" article, and as a professional journalist, should have known better than that ....

I also saw a couple of the other Hawaiian interviews, Gerry was Gerry again! In the St Louis interview you could just *see* from his expression that someone (his new manager or agent, I can't remember which it was) was probably tearing their hair out when he replied "Sex" to the question what did he like best to do .... LOL Did he decide to change his answer, or ask for a retake? No - he just kept on answering, just as we would expect of him ... That is our guy (sometimes brutally) honest and bluntly put, just :yummy::thud: But, if I had young children, this is not something I would like my nine year old to hear coming from Alex Rover!!!! Seriously! Also, in the Extra interview, they made a joke of his swearing - again not something I would like my six year old to hear for example ...

I'm not about to say that I "understand" Gerry or know what is in his head - I would just like to put in a little point of view from a non-american who has, however, lived for five years in a smallish town in NY state ...

I HOPE nobody thinks I'm being offensive here, it really isn't my intention. I just want to put forward the way I perceive the situation of being "politically correct" :)

In the States you are more or less brought up to be "politically correct". For those not of american origin, the easiest way of explaing the term, to me, is to say that it is when you think twice about what you are about to say, because it might be offensive or hurtful to some people. (I am not trying to be funny) In the States this is necessary, just because of the number of cultures, and creeds that coexist there, you can step on peoples feelings without meaning to. Growing up, pretty much you are told by parents or in school, what and what not to do or say in certain circumstances (e.g. the first year I was there, I kept saying Merry Christmas to everyone, until I realised they were all saying Happy Holidays back to me ... maybe this is a silly example, but I had no idea that it was not the PC thing to say, Merry Christmas, after having said it all my life ....)

In smaller countries, you can pretty much say what you like, because most of the rest of the country is more or less going to understand perfectly what you mean and you just don't need to keep thinking about what is coming out of your mouth. I'm sure even after five years I still put my foot in it sometimes, but nobody said anything in case they offended me by telling me that I was being offensive! (Here, I am trying to be funny!) I'm truly sorry that I couldn't find a book about political correctness for foreigners (once again, not trying to be funny).

Even after years of living in the States, Gerry f**ks up ... I'm not making excuses for him, but he's a GUY and Scottish to boot, not brought up to be PC, and he is sooooo sweet when he says something to make up for whatever he has just said that is so *awful* sometimes!! (The first time I went :wuv: was almost immediately after thinkng "what a p***k" when I saw him being interviewed by Craig Ferguson, he said something terrible, and then straight afterwards said something that made me think "OMG, what a sweetie!" and that's how I eventually ended up here, meeting all of you! And adoring coming here, I must say :metoyou: to all of you.)

You gals are so caring and friendly - and funny! and Gerry says it loud and clear - often. Don't ever doubt that. I never will, for what that's worth. Like I said, I wouldn't presume to say I know what goes on in his mind, but I *can* say that I was not brought up to be PC, and almost certainly, neither was Gerry. This does not mean at all that people who grew up like this don't care about the feelings of other people, it just means that that is the way we grew up, like I said, just not needing to think very much about what you say in relation to the rest of your fellow countrymen :)

{Gets off soapbox}

Whew! I really felt I had to get that off my chest, I almost didn't say anything, but I felt maybe some of you might like to know the thoughts of a pair of eyes coming to the situation just today, and someone who is probably from the same kind of upbringing as Gerry ... This is just my opinion, my gut feeling, and I may be out of line in giving it, but I felt very sorry that some people saw Gerry in a different light after this interview (if you can call it that, I don't). I hope that the new article has dispelled that and that maybe what I have written here will have helped too. I've only been here a few months, but I know how much you all really care about Gerrry. I like you all very much and I hate that this *stupid* article has made some of you so unhappy ....

Mods, please feel free to tell me off or whatever if I have gone overboard on this :)

:hearts:

Sorsha

P.S. I'm so happy to be back! Now I'm going over to the webcam at Graumann's, which is why I came to my friend's flat in the first place! xxxx

Lady, you just said it all. We all probably understand Gerry is brought up a little differently than Americans and therefore a little more outspoken. That endears him to us a little more even, and believe me, NOBODY loves Gerry any less, some just thought he may like his fans a little less than they originally believed. However; I think that has been resolved, because many of us realized that have been in a statement, verbatim, some time ago, and we weren't really sure that was an untouched up remark then, you know, something left out, like "like someone said" prior to the comment or a laugh after. To me it sounds like something Paul Walker would have said to him about his repore with his fans, again, jealously on Walker's part because his fans are not that attentive and loyal. Anyway,

thanks for your unique insight. That is great to know. KNOW THIS, WE ALL STILL LOVE GERRY MORE THAN OUR NEXT BREATH, or at least I do.

In Australia we are not quite as PC either and we tend to brush off insensitive remarks and are forgiving of such faux pas, we have that larrikan and ironic way of saying things that gets misinterpreted by people from other countries. To me it's just Gerry being Gerry, I love that aspect about him, it makes him who he is, to me its part of his charm and likeability, what you see is what you get with him. Everyone makes mistakes, everyone says things on the spur of the moment and people really need to learn to be more tolerant. He is not saying things in a nasty way, thats when it becomes offensive.

All you ladies are beautiful and you've put a big smile on my face tonight, I'm loving your posts.

And Xan :funnyup::funnyup: loving it !!!

Okay..call me a dummy but how do I get an avatar on my page..I keep getting an error when I try to download one..HELP!

:bonk: