Gerard Butler GALS

4/7 - '21' sacks 'Leatherheads'

zanyzombie

Thank you hobbes! :thankyou:

from: http://www.variety.com/article/VR111798357...yid=10&cs=1

'21' sacks 'Leatherheads'

Universal pigskin pic drops box office ball

By Pamela McClintock

Universal’s George Clooney-Renee Zellweger period screwball comedy “Leatherheads” was sacked at the weekend box office, losing out to Sony holdover “21” and all but tying with 20th Century Fox’s family adventure-fantasy “Nim’s Island” for the No. 2 spot.

Directed by and starring Clooney, “Leatherheads” grossed an estimated $13.5 million from 2,769 theaters, according to Rentrak, while “21” declined only 37% in its second sesh to an estimated $15.1 million from 2,653 locations.

“Leatherheads” was widely predicted to win the weekend, with U believing it could overcome the challenges associated with marketing a genre whose heyday has long since passed, aided by Clooney’s star appeal. Poor reviews, however, likely dampened turnout among older moviegoers, the pic’s key demo.

“Nim’s Island” gave a needed boost for label Fox-Walden, grossing an estimated $13.3 million from 3,513 theaters. Film came in on the higher end of expectations, giving Fox its second family title in the top five after “Dr. Seuss’ Horton Hears a Who!”

While U puts itself ahead of Fox in its Sunday estimates, the majority of studios had “Nim’s” -- starring Jodie Foster, Gerard Butler and Abigail Breslin -- ahead of “Leatherheads.” Question will be resolved Monday when final weekend B.O. numbers are released.

Overall, the domestic box office downturn continued. Sesh was down 23.1% over the same frame in 2007, although that decline is slightly mitigated by Easter falling on that weekend last year.

April often can be a dull time at the B.O. in the lull before summer, although studios could be looking at a particularly tough time this year -- between Easter coming early and moviegoers being lukewarm. That puts even more pressure on summer performance.

Through Sunday, year-to-date revenues slipped behind the same time period in 2007 by 1.75% after running ahead for much of 2008.

Among the weekend’s additional new offerings, DreamWorks/Paramount’s R-rated horror title “The Ruins” played soft as expected, grossing an estimated $7.8 million from 2,812 locations.

In more limited play, Martin Scorsese’s Rolling Stones concert docu “Shine A Light,” from Paramount Classics, grossed an estimated $1.5 million from 276 locations, with 93 of those runs being large format Imax theaters. Per location average was $5,475, with $1.1 million of the gross coming from Imax theaters, which charge more per ticket.

Par Classics has no immediate plans for expanding “Shine A Light.” Half of the audience was over the age of 50, while only 25% was under the age of 35. Pic skewed slightly male at 55%.

“Leatherheads” also saw the most interest among the older set. Of the aud, 75% was over the age of 30, while 50% of the aud over the age of 40. The romantic comedy, set in the early days of pro football, got a disappointing Cinemascore of C+.

“Leatherheads” is Clooney’s third directing effort after “Good Night, And Good Luck,” which grossed $31.5 million domestically, and “Confessions of a Dangerous Mind,” which grossed $16 million. Both opened in limited runs.

As comparisons, Clooney starred in the offbeat Coen brothers’ romantic comedy “Intolerable Cruelty,” which opened to $12.5 million in October 2003 and grossed $35 million domestically. “One Fine Day,” a bonafide commercial romantic comedy, opened to $6.2 million in 1996 on its way to grossing $46.1 million.

U expected “Leatherheads” to open closer to $20 million. Pic cost roughly $58 million to produce.

“The results are less than we hoped for. The movie is a fun ride, and it doesn’t take itself too seriously. George Clooney is a great director, and I think they came for him. I’m disappointed for him” Universal prexy of distribution Nikki Rocco said. “Having said that, there is a lot going on. I do think the basketball playoffs hurt attendance in the big cities. What really upsets me is the level of overall business.”

For the weekend, “Horton” came in No. 4, declining 49% in its fifth session to $9.1 million from 3,571 locations for a cume of $131 million. The release of “Nim’s” likely contributed to “Horton’s” decline.

Year-to-date, Fox leads in marketshare at 24% based on family hits like “Horton” and 2007 holdover “Alvin and the Chipmunks.”

“Nim’s” appealed heavily to mothers and daughters, but sons and fathers turned out as well. Of the aud, 60% were female, while 51% were over the age of 25. Pic cost $37 million to produce, and got an A Cinemascore.

“‘Nim’s’ was an island oasis for family audiences. If you have a quality family film with an appealing storyline and an appealing cast, there will always be a market for it,” Fox senior VP of distribution Chris Aronson said.

“Nim’s” is the third release from Fox-Walden, a joint venture between Fox and Walden Media that calls for a slate of moderately budgeted family films. The first film, “The Seeker: The Dark is Rising,” grossed only $8.8 million after a $3.7 million opening, while “Mr. Magorium’s Wonder Emporium” grossed $32 million after a $9.6 million opening.

Sony prexy of domestic distribution Rory Bruer said “21” is enjoying strong word-of-mouth. Pic’s cume through the first 10 days is a robust $46.5 million, reflecting its popularity with younger men and women.

In its second weekend, Par’s Iraqi war drama “Stop-Loss” fell off the top 10 chart to No. 11, declining 49% to an estimated $2.3 million from 1,294 runs for a cume of $8.2 million.

In a more unusual offering, the Metropolitan Opera’s live hi-def theatrical broadcast of “La Boheme” Saturday grossed $2 million from 469 theaters in North America. Broadcast grossed $620,692 from overseas theaters. Saturday’s broadcast included being beamed into 19 Princess Cruise Ships.

DH and I went to both NIM'S ISLAND and LEATHERHEADS.

As far as numbers go, we probably cancelled each other out.

But we are taking Daughter and her two boys to NIM'S ISLAND,

next weekend.

Word of mouth should help NIM'S ISLAND numbers increase as

moviegoers realize how family friendly it is and bring

more kids back to the theater.

By the way DH really liked NIM'S ISLAND a lot more than I

liked LEATHERHEADS.

:goodjob:

Glad to know Nim's is on the higher end of things. I had seen alot of good reviews about it and plan to go see it this week. I think this movie will be a great addition to G's already fantastic list of performances!

I think the price of fuel is keeping people home. My hubby and I have started making huge changes in our lifestyle because of all our expenses going up, so we will likely NOT be going to the movies when we can see them On Demand a couple months after they leave the theater, without even leaving our house.

Of course I WILL go see ALL of Gerry's movies on the big screen!

Swannie

I think the price of fuel is keeping people home. My hubby and I have started making huge changes in our lifestyle because of all our expenses going up, so we will likely NOT be going to the movies when we can see them On Demand a couple months after they leave the theater, without even leaving our house.

Of course I WILL go see ALL of Gerry's movies on the big screen!

Swannie

I had not been to a movie in about 6 years before PSILY came out. I have been so moved by Gerry's

performance in Phantom that I had already tracked down all of the available movies on DVD. I saw PSILY 31 times. I saw Nim's 4 times this weekend. He is WONDERFUL as usual. He never disappoints me. Waiting for my PSILY DVD so I can make it another 50 times viewed. TEHE. Cannot wait for

10/31 and of course Nim's on DVD and so on and so on and so on. I must live to be at least 100 now so that I don't miss any Gerry movies. I'm like you Swannie, I will find a way to see every one of them

on the big screen. I wish Phantom would come back out in a theater somewhere, but I know it never will. I don't know if my heart would take that anyway. The Phantom on big screen. OMG. He is great as Jack and Alex. Anyone who hasn't yet seen it is in for a great time. He has a ton of screen time.

I thought it would be mostly the other two, who are also great in this. Beautiful vehicle for a BEAUTIFUL

man.

:whome2:

Yes, Darlin<

Only You

Sandy

I wish Phantom would come back out in a theater somewhere, but I know it never will. I don't know if my heart would take that anyway. The Phantom on big screen. OMG.

Sandy

Come to the Vegas Convention! There will be a special showing of Phantom on the BIG SCREEN there! Just click on the Movie banner, just under the Fan Convention banner over on the left side of the screen for the info.

Edited by Seumus O'Seaghdha

Saw Nims last night in theater and enjoyed it so much. Gerry is great as Alex and so sweet as Jack. The theater wasn't filled but as I left the manager said that this was a particularly bad time of the year for movies but that Nims was doing well. There were a few at Leather Head, but not any great shakes there either. I hope this movie does well for Gerry, Jody and Abigail because it is the kind that families need to watch and enjoy together. Some of the previews, while not R rated were so innane or hyper-paced that I cant see any family groups watching them. Oh well, Gerry is getting good reviews and looks great. I'm sure it will make back more than it cost to make and everyone will probably get the DVDs if they cant make it to the movie theaters. It's well worth the money to go see.

Well I saw Nims :alex: this last weekend and unfortunately was disappointed. :hide: I guess I just expected much more from seeing trailers and clips. I liked it but did not love it and of the movies, I have seen so far of Gerry's, this has to be closer to the bottom for me. There was something about the disconnect between him and Jodie. I didn't feel any and the ending I just did not get. They showed him holding hands with her and I just felt there was alot missing from the story. I was glad I went anyway if nothing else but to boost the ratings at the box office and I will continue to do that as long as Gerry is in it. :2cents:

Tojo

Please no rock throwing, I bruise easily!!! :flee:

Loved Nim's Island!!!

I went and saw Nim's this weekend and loved. I have come to love Gerry in anything that he does. He truly shows his acting abilities with each and every role he takes on. I cannot wait to see him in all of his future movies. I have always loved his work but never really knew who he was until about 6 years ago even before I got the internet lol!!

Could someone please help me, i am curious if anyone knows the story behind the bracelet he wears. Knowing Gerry there has to be a story behind it.

I hope to be on here a little more so I can mingle with Gerry's other fans!

Jeanette :kiss:

I saw "Nim's" and loved it because it shows Gerry's ability as an actor to be two completely different people in the same movie . But Gerry has shown his ability to be anyone he wants to be in his movies. I personaly would love to see him in some action/ mystery/suspense movie once in a while as well as what he is doing and has done. I think Gerry is such an awesome actor as well as man, that he can play anything, or anyone as he has shown us. I just want to see him make movies for me to see him in!!!! I really don't care what they are, just keep making them!!! And durn it, let him use his own accent like other "foreign" actors do. Pierce Brosnan, Sean Bean to name a couple. The part can call for a Scott to be the character, re-located to the states for a special assignment! What's so hard about that?

But, suffice it to say, I loved "Nim's" and I am going to see it again, by myself this time. 'Cause I love Gerry!!!

Jo

Edited by Joanna

Well I saw Nims :alex: this last weekend and unfortunately was disappointed. :hide: I guess I just expected much more from seeing trailers and clips. I liked it but did not love it and of the movies, I have seen so far of Gerry's, this has to be closer to the bottom for me. There was something about the disconnect between him and Jodie. I didn't feel any and the ending I just did not get. They showed him holding hands with her and I just felt there was alot missing from the story. I was glad I went anyway if nothing else but to boost the ratings at the box office and I will continue to do that as long as Gerry is in it. :2cents:

Tojo

Please no rock throwing, I bruise easily!!! :flee:

The ending in the movie is almost identical to how the book ends - very abrupt. Basically it was Jack returned, he and Alexandra fell in love at first sight, and they lived happily ever after on Nim's Island. I suppose it is because it is a children's book and a children's movie they didn't figure it necessary to actually show a relationship develop. The fact that Jack "strongly resembled" the fictional Alex Rover as created in Alexandra's mind would explain why SHE fell so hard and so fast, but maybe just because Jack hadn't seen another women in nearly 11 years could be why he did as well. This is a movie that I definitely enjoy more when I can see it with fellow Gerry fans who "get" the little things that make us laugh - like every time Gerry's voice goes up an octave, or when Alex Rover is tied on top of the camel pondering "how am I going to die?" I will probably see it 2 or 3 more times - but not likely to approach the 13 times I saw PSILY or the 18 times I saw "300".

Joanna - I'm thinking RockNRolla, Game and then Law Abiding Citizen should be more what you are hoping for - so don't worry - they will be along soon with your dose of action, and probably some mystery and suspense too.