Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Swansong

Airline nightmares

Just thought I'd start a thread where we can all discuss our airline arrangements and mishaps. I haven't even made my reservations yet. I've been waiting for all the craziness to settle down, but now it seems that more carriers are declaring bankruptcy and going out of business.... and then we have all these whacko cancellations. The fuel costs are no doubt the cause of all this. Last year, my fare for a round trip ticket was around 260.00. Now I wonder how much I'll pay this year. I'm gonna go ahead and reserve now, and hope they can guarantee that the amount won't go up.

Anyone else want to share?

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

I've had my flight since early Feb., thru Continental. Got it thru Expedia; round trip for $383.00, including tax, etc.. Posted ImageI've been keeping my eyes on things, as well, just in case. Posted ImageHope nothing else happens!!

Liana

I made my reservations for last year, on the day registration opened for the convention. But this year, I didn't know until a few weeks ago that I would be going. I don't really fly much, so all this is very confusing and frustrating. One thing is for sure; I'm taking WAYYYYY less luggage this year. (Libby... stop laughing!)

Swannie

I bought my ticket awhile ago and my flight has changed 4 times but nothing major. *knock on wood*

For some reason there are no decent offers on transatlantic fares at the moment and D Day of 1 May when registration has to be paid in full is right round the corner. When deals come on I can pretty much get a fare anywhere in the US from Edinburgh for £350-£400($665+) but just now they are averaging £800($1520) which along with hotel costs and spending money I just cannot afford to pay. I was wanting to come for a week and was going to be at the Hilton from the Thu to Sun/Mon and then centre strip til I fly back Thu. The last time I was in vegas was in Jan 2007 we stayed at the Barbary Coast which is by The Flamingo and Ballys and whilst it does not look much from outside and certainly not as oppulant as the bigger grander hotels it was a great place and had fantastic views and only cost $70 a night which for centre strip was fantastic value. For some reason it is now called Bill's Gamblin Hall and Saloon. I would never have considered staying there had it not been for the brilliant reviews on Trip Advisor and they were not wrong and was such a brilliant find. I've stayed at Caesars, Bellagio, Luxor and Treasure Island and even though they are more grander I would not stay anywhere other than Bill's now if going for a holiday only.

Part of me just thinks I should pay the registration on 1 May and hope for the best that a decent deal will arise during May but another part of me does not want to lose even more money. For this reason I've held off reserving accommodation as I know you have to pre pay one night's room. Oh what is a girl to do. I've already paid out the $100 plus $15 for POTO screening. I'd just hate to pay out the whole registration and have it go to waste and can't be used.

Moira

Edited by framolamdu

i won't be travelling this year (which is preferable as i don't travel well though i will definitely miss you gals) so i don't have much to contribute for these recent troubles but i thought i'd share some things that helped me the past few years. I was a pretty much an air travel virgin until last year when i made 3 trips mostly by myself (which was a major thing for me to do). My sister travels for her job as a meeting planner so she gave me some tips to avoid some hassles. If possible - don't check any bags. All of the trips i made, i never checked a bag. I took a carry-on bag on wheels and my backpack (which was my "purse" LOL). Sure it was hard trying to figure out what to bring and what to leave out, but it was so nice not having to worry about checked luggage. My sis mails items to her hotel ahead of time also if she needs extra things. So you could do that if you need extras.

My own personal tip is to watch out for those 1 mph "moving sidewalks" LOL During a very eventful (not in a good way) trip to houston last year, i managed to actually fall at the end of one of those (i know i know, who does this?) and I cut my knee pretty badly. I had to be ambulanced to the ER and get 22 stitches to take care of the gash. it was an absolute nightmare - thank goodness i had dr. em and jenni there to take care of me.

So that's it i guess - try to avoid checked luggage, arrive early, and don't wear 3 inch wedge sandals (if you're not a heel wearer and are VERY clumsy) while walking on the moving sidewalk. :doh:

Awwwww, Stef... I can't believe you won't be there. It won't be the same at all without your beautiful smile... and I'm not just saying that.

There is NO WAY I can travel with carry-on only! I just gotta have all my shite with me! How do you pack a formal gown in a carry-on, and I thought there were more limitations now for the size of carry on luggage.

I really don't like flying, and I really do get stressed out with the whole airport security check-in thing. This will be only my second time flying alone!

Just think of me as Jodie Foster's character in Nim's Island. Valium, anyone???

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

Awwwww, Stef... I can't believe you won't be there. It won't be the same at all without your beautiful smile... and I'm not just saying that.

There is NO WAY I can travel with carry-on only! I just gotta have all my shite with me! How do you pack a formal gown in a carry-on, and I thought there were more limitations now for the size of carry on luggage.

You are so sweet swannie! one of my favorite memories last year was seeing you on friday night and us rushing to each other for a big hug :D i just started a new job a few weeks ago and i have a wedding to plan (we finally set a date for october 4th) so i need to keep all of my attention on these 2 things. i'm going to help barb as much as i can with the virtual con. :pointy:

i completely understand your feelings about carry-on only. to me though it's more stressful to think that my luggage might get lost and i won't have my stuff than taking everything possible. i'd rather have everything with me at all times than it being someplace i can't see LOL i never wore a formal gown at the cons so it worked for me. it might not have worked this year though if i was going hehe

You are so sweet swannie! one of my favorite memories last year was seeing you on friday night and us rushing to each other for a big hug :D i just started a new job a few weeks ago and i have a wedding to plan (we finally set a date for october 4th) so i need to keep all of my attention on these 2 things. i'm going to help barb as much as i can with the virtual con. :pointy:

i completely understand your feelings about carry-on only. to me though it's more stressful to think that my luggage might get lost and i won't have my stuff than taking everything possible. i'd rather have everything with me at all times than it being someplace i can't see LOL i never wore a formal gown at the cons so it worked for me. it might not have worked this year though if i was going hehe

:tissues: Stef, I can't believe we won't be seeing your beautiful smile at the Con this year! I am so happy for you for all of the wonderful things you have in your life now and in the future, :metoyou: but I'm sad for myself! :gah::tissues: You are always one of the wonderful shining lights that I look forward to at Con, your smile and wonderful personality just light up the room. You'll have to call us on Friday or Saturday night so we can all yell our hellos and love to you! :hugs:

Issy

Nice headline ye picked there, Swannie. It's not quite dramatic enough, though. LOL

Southwest has GREAT deals from Tulsa to Vegas right now ($270 round trip!) -- I can't imagine that it's not the case for almost everywhere else. I have absolutely NO reservations about flying -- ESPECIALLY with the current hub-bub. With the world watching - the airlines are really minding their P&Qs. As a result, I feel that much more confident in the industry! (Big Mike flies almost every other week, 2-4 times a trip -- things are running very smoothly these days!)

In spite of all the recent hub-bub we had no problems at all with our flights the past couple of weeks. We flew Continental and were able to go cross-country for less than $250 round trip. I also have flights booked on Delta next month from L.A. to Orlando (for a conference) which I got for $250. Delta and Northwestern may merge forming the world's largest airline. Frontier declared bankruptcy but said they will continue flying. American's flights should all be in tip top shape after they've all been checked out so recently. I have no qualms about flying, though I will drive to Vegas because I am bringing all the raffle and auction goodies (plus GerryUSA's entire trousseau which requires a LARGE suitcase all its own).

I bought my tickets on American the other day and I got out for about $360 round trip. It wasn't awful. I have about an hour layover in Dallas both ways which is just about enough time to grab a soda and make it to the next gate. That airport id frakin' huge!!! I'm so excited, though... I don't even care as much about the price as I thought I would.

Personally, I like checking my luggage. A lot of times, I can check it at the curb before even entering the airport, which lightens my load considerably!

I do take my purse and a smaller carry on bag (NOT one of those that exceeds the airline regulations!) which contains a full change of clothing (underwear!!) and some of the allowable toiletries, just in case my luggage and I wind up on different planes! I figure the airline will have my bags to me in a day or two, and I have enough 'provisions' with me to tide me over until I can get to the nearest Wally World(Wal-Mart) for the essentials! :lol:

Val ordered our plane tickets months ago. She watches Southwest like a hawk and has a pretty good idea when they load their flight prices, so as usual she got us a great deal. I don't even remember how much now, but I think it's safe to say that our roundtrip tickets were under $300 each. Val is like my personal travel agent/Vegas tour guide guru!! :hug1: Val!

I know there have been recent 'issues' with the airlines, but I'm hopeful that by the time the busy summer travel season begins, these issues will have been worked out. I just can't let myself worry about these things, or it would drive me crazy! I know...short trip for me. :lol:

Well, I booked our flights with Allegiant Air(regional to my area)back in late Feb...hubby and I are both flying rountrip for $700 total exactly.....with 2 checked bags each.....having checked bags didn't scare me....it's a small regional airline...smaller plane that the big boys and it's nonstop to Vegas, so, it's not like my luggage is getting routed anywhere during a lay over.....I had no problems at all last year.....I was a total flying virgin...never flown before ever!!!!It was actually scarey how simple it all was.....I'm getting so excited....I do feel for any of you thought, that are having problems.....

got my tickets through virgin airlines.. since its a new airlines i decided to give it a try. from seattle on wednesday its 89 dollars, not bad at all...coming home its a little more pricey cause i wanted to try out first class :)

so i think i have a really horrible travel story. last year for the tarts convention in scotland. Bought my travel through flycheap.com or something like that, also bought insurance. so anyways, get to the airport early, earlier than the normal time to get there for international. THe lady at the counter told me and another girl that we might be able to get on stand by on and earlier flight. awesome!!! so we get to the gate, the flight was full...our luggage was put on that flight. (along with my grams ashes. spread some of her in scotland and london) Minutes later we come to find out that our original flight has been cancelled. I'm on a pay phone with the place i bought our tickets in one ear and on my cell phone with us air reservations. THe place that i bought the tickets from said that us air should try adn find us a flight. so we go back up to the front counter and get in line. By this time i've called my mother 2 in tears. she calls usair reservations after i get off with her and i call them again. The lady told me she might have found me a flight if i could get to the counter and have them process it. I dont cut in line, i go to the side counter and explain to one of the ladies what's going on....she tells me to get back in line, she didnt seem to care.

I get back in line, friend holding our space. Once we get to the counter the flight that we could have gotten on was full and in the air. The soonest we could get out was on tuesday, the convention being on sunday night i think...so not only did i miss the convention, but my grams was in scotland before me and in my luggage for three days. I'm sure she wasnt pleased with me at all.

* did we get a refund? nope. Did we get anything? nope. Our second flight from philly to scotland was delayed for 4 hours. it didnt leave until after midnight. The airlines bought people dinner after everyone had already eaten.

The reason for the cancellation? we got three different reasons...they told my mother that it was due to weather in philly. wow, all other airlines that went to philly had no problem flying in the sun. THe other was due to something wrong with the plane which they knew about at 630 that morning...and the 3rd was the obvious reason....it wasnt a sold out flight...there was way too many empty seats on the plane...

Oh, that's awful! And I thought my last flight was bad! I usually fly Southwest airlines, but I got a much better deal with American Airlines for my trip to California last month. Turns out, I should have paid more and stayed with Southwest! Our flight out of San Antonio was delayed due to a delay in Dallas, causing us to miss our connection in Dallas to Santa Ana, so AA put us on another flight, but we were in the back row! It was a very turbulent flight, so every baby on the plane, including the one in the row across from us, screamed the whole way there. I'll never fly American again, nor will I ever fly out through Dallas/Fort Worth airport if I can help it. I already have my tickets for Vegas at a very good rate with Southwest Airlines.

Edited by Lady Elissa

I bought my tickets the other day...it's costing me 500 bucks but I'm going no stop. I wanted to fly Delta, but for the return trip I'm coming on Jet Blue, I've heard some great things about them.

Well my tickets were purchased with Alaskan Airlines for under 200.00 round trip, which is considerably cheaper than what I paid last year.

I guess when it comes to air travel, you just have to hope for the best and try to enjoy the experience. 20 minutes before landing in Vegas last year, we had the WORST turbulence I've ever experienced on a flight, and that includes the one I took to Hawaii. Even the experienced passengers on board were freaking out, and it was bad all the way until we landed! I was so glad I had taken 2 Dramamine, and poor hubby was sorry he didn't.

Swannie

I hate flying ot of Des Moines bacause I haven't even HEARD of some of the airlines y'all are mentioning. :lol:

I love flying Jet Blue and use them any chance I can, just wish they flew into more places. I would like to try the new Virgin America because it sounds similar to Jet Blue, and I was REALLY impressed with the Virgin trains in Great Britain last year - they were top-notch. I'm a fan of Richard Branson - wish TV had more of him and less of The Donald (Trump)!!

Last year when we went to Scotland we flew MaxJet which was incredible - all business class for the price of coach. We had to fly out of Las Vegas and into London's Stansted but that was cool, we then took the train from London to Glasgow. Unfortunately despite our love for them, MaxJet went belly-up on Christmas Eve last year. We had hoped to fly them again the next time we go overseas, but alas it is not to be.

yeah virgin air is suppose to be awesome!! i love their website...you can order food from your seat...you have a screen in front of you, you can watch movies...i'm not doing the site justice, you should go see it for yourself...i'm going to love first class coming back...the seats massage..i think

Edited by scottish_spaz

first off...im not a good flyer...so i contact my DR for a couple of ativans everytime i fly... i must say that ive never once had any issues with lost luggage..no issues with luggage period..i take a carryon and check luggage..mostly the carry on is filled with things i cant live without if something does happen..and at least one change of clothes..

i just got home from LA and actaully tried to extend my stay but the flights were completely booked...many overbooked so keep that in mind if you're waiting to see if better deals happen... american may be down for awhile if they hold a special session in the senate about the audits and FAA safety standards which it looks as if they may...on top of that the fuel costs are suppose to skyrocket this summer..

im surprised no one here is a travel agent??

alas...i made my once a year trip to vegas already... i would have loved to be in a room with nothing but gerry fans... and lovely people....have fun!!!!!

It really makes me see red that airlines can cancel flights, over-book seats, bump people off flights, strand people in airports for days and not have to offer any kind of compensation to the traveler. :tantrum: I know that the FAA forced American Airlines to cancel all their flights last week for inspections. When I flew to California on American last month, they canceled one of their flights from Dallas to Santa Ana, so there were over 50 people on the stand-by list for the flight we were on. I didn't like sitting in the back row, but all things considered we were lucky to be on that flight at all. And we were also blessed that our luggage made it to California with us. I prefer to travel by car, but sometimes that's just not possible.

Another hint when selecting your seats. I learned the hard way that on many planes (NOT Jet Blue) the row right in front of the "exit rows" over the wings have seats that will not recline. I had booked that row returning from Hawaii 3 years ago figuring we wouldn't have to deal with any children directly behind us kicking the seat back. Unfortunately for 5 hours the seat in front of me was reclined fully, while mine would not recline and that left me pretty much with the head of the person in front of me being about six inches from my face the entire time! On top of that I had a cold and ended up feeling as though I had an ice pick in my ear for the last hour of the flight - all in all my worst flying experience EVER and I will never again book seats in front of the exit row unless I first confirm that they will recline.

If you do find you have to fly when you have a cold, even a small one (which is what I had) buy yourself Ear Planes. I used these flying to London last year because once again I developed a cold a few days before leaving. The Ear Planes worked wonders - you wear them the first and last hour of the flight and they help hold your ear passages open despite changes in cabin pressure. It is those changes that can cause excrutiating pain if you already have some congestion going on.

i hate having a cold and flying...im no stranger to flying...fly out of south carolina when i was 10 all by myself and had to sit on the wing, when it was legal to have a child sit there...i got so sick i was little turning green, i could feel the air coming out of the window, i thought i was going to die...now being 30 i think i've been on a plane 15 times.

for me the seats i prefer are aisle cause you get out sooner and i hate to make people get up when i have to potty. i held my bladder all the way from new wark to scotland, would not advise that to anyone...

if its a short flight and you're not sick :) i like the exit row cause you get that extra leg room :)