Gerard Butler GALS
zanyzombie

Have you seen Shattered?

I didn't particularly care for his character. The movie plot was interesting though. I didn't really see it coming.

I did not see it coming either, although I noticed and wondered a bit in the beginning the surprising lack of enthusiasm in Abby as she answered her friend´s comment about Neil being a wonderful husband. I bought the DVD some weeks ago and only now rewatched it again. Actually I enjoyed the rewatching more as in the first time it was kind of too exciting and I waited for Neil to show some backbone. It was clear that Abby was the stronger person in that marriage as well as in the "kidnapping situation", as apparently expected Neil just fell apart. Neil was a lier and a cheat, in private life and at work and I think that Abby would still have forgiven him, if he had been truthful as they drove home in the end of the movie. She gave him the ooportunity to tell the truth, but he still continuied his lying.

It was scary in the movie as Tom and Neil drove against that barrier in the parking house, huh. On my DVD there were no interviews to clear things up, but I have understood from comments that it was an accident and not meant to happen. Abby put Neil to go through a lot dangerous experiences (e.g. the bell tower). I wonder whether Tom shot his wife or if he was able to forgive her?

I like to imagine she got together with Tom and left the "cheaters" to be miserable with themselves because they would seemed to have deserved it

I love this movie! He is excellent in it so are the others.

On the DVD, there is interesting interviews, etc. It is absolutely worth buying it.

I liked 'Shattered' a lot more than I expected to. I loved the contrast of Neil the slimeball with Gerry's recent good guy characters. I respect him a lot more for trying to stretch himself instead of letting himself be pigeonholed into certain types of roles. And I thought Neil got what was coming to him, myself. Abby may have been mean, but she might not have been had he not lied to her about nearly every single thing in the movie -- even quitting smoking!

JMO

The movie ended in the way that I got the feeling from Abby´s behaviour that Neil may have exploded following the last scene shown to us.

See how people interpret things differently?

I didn't think he lied to her about quitting smoking. I just thought that after all the stresses of the day, he couldn't take it anymore and needed a cigarette. :)

Ren

See how people interpret things differently?

I didn't think he lied to her about quitting smoking. I just thought that after all the stresses of the day, he couldn't take it anymore and needed a cigarette. :)

Ren

See, that's how I see it too.

I just love this movie; excellent performances, so intense from everyone, it was not an easy one to play.

I love his facial expressions in this; it's so "Gerry". Also, he is in every scene, so you can really enjoy seeing him.

I absolutely love this movie. Do I like that Neil cheats on his wife? Oh, Hell To The NO! I love Gerry's vulnerability in this movie. I like that after he played Attila, Leonidas and Erik all with almost super natural human strength Pierce Brosden's character like totally kicks his butt. Some actors would not be humble enough to play that as well as he did.

Then after it all what kills me Neil comes back to the car and lies to Abby after all they have endured. If I could havre physically slapped him dead in the face I would have. I was like did you learn nothing.

But the hopeless romantic wants them to go to counseling and save their marriage.

I know lots of people say an affair is a deal breaker and I understand anyone feeling that way, but my heart always breaks when a family is torn.

Not that I excuse his behavior. Nope, I do not one bit. Still I believe at the end of the day he loves his wife.

Love,

Tracy

The movie ended in the way that I got the feeling from Abby´s behaviour that Neil may have exploded following the last scene shown to us.

He may have exploded :tantrum: true,but I got a whole other feeling as no two people see an issue in the same way. From watching the last scene I saw Neil as absolutely dumb-founded. Abby had explained to him several times already how she felt about his "evil doings". Neil never seemed to flinch even once when she lost her cool, nor did he care. So when Abby was up-front-and-personal with Neil in that last scene it was now time to "THROW THE BABY OUT WITH THE BATH WATER. No feeling left for Neil only anger. She allowed him to continue a relationship with their daughter, but never again with her. Abby had been burned way to many times. this little gal was "FREE" and now giving herself the respect due her. Neil then knew at that moment the shoe was on the other foot. Thus the word dumb-founded :bow2: comes to mind.

PS, Abbey was free because she then knew she loved herself. She could show kindness to Neil, but not let herself be sucked in by his evil. She didn't continue to throw her" pearls before the swine".

Maturity is achieved when a person postpones immediate pleasures for

long-term values.

-- Joshua L. Liebman

Edited by planetwalkers

So just realized that this DVD may be hard to get I didn't know he has made this movie & want to rent it but is it available at Blockbuster?

I have a feeling I will have a hard time finding it. :unsure:

I don't know if it's at Blockbuster, but I don't believe it's particularly hard to get. I bought a copy at Target last year or early this year. It is also available through Amazon. I know on Amazon the Blu-Ray version is listed under the original name Butterfly on a Wheel.

Ren

Just saw it tonight on DVD I rented it & loved it!

Gerry was amazing in it & he was in almost every scene wow.

I thought Brosnan was ok but Maria Bello & Gerry were brilliant & made the movie very believable. I kind of had the feeling after the scenes in the house with the woman he was having the affair with that his wife may know & likely worked with Brosnan but it was still a terrific ending & Bello was great in those last 10 minutes!

Loved him with the little girl playing his daughter, she was a real sweetie & he looked adorable with her. :wuv:

Loved him with the little girl playing his daughter, she was a real sweetie & he looked adorable with her. :wuv:

Yeah, he always does a great job working with the kids in his movies. I bet he'll make a wonderful father someday.

Stephanie

I watched this with my sister after she got a divorce. She was soo excited about the plot. She saw the ending and thought it was an awesome idea! :) course i just loved it due to Gerry :kiss: badass or not!

I watched this with my sister after she got a divorce. She was soo excited about the plot. She saw the ending and thought it was an awesome idea! :) course i just loved it due to Gerry :kiss: badass or not!

Ha, isn't it funny how your real life can affect the way you watch certain movies? I know just 2 or 3 days after I found out that my boyfriend had slept with my best friend I was watching a movie about a husband who murders his cheating wife. You're supposed to identify with the wife, but I was cheering on the husband! Literally! Like... out loud! :lol:

Steph

I haven't seen the movie. But I have seen previews and it look very interesting. I wish I can find a website that I can see it for free like stagevue. I have seen attila on the site and POTO

SPOILERS!!!!

I just finished watching Shattered/BOAW. I haven't seen it for about a year, and wow ... I forgot how good it was. This is actually one of my son's favorite Gerry movies!

I honestly think Gerry gave an absolute fantastic performance in this. His facial expressions, his eyes, his reactions ... just so good. As someone who has children, and has been cheated on, I gotta say that Gerry really made me sympathize a bit with Neil. Actually, a lot ...

So how can someone who hates One More Kiss so much for the same reason not hate this and sympathize with Neil? I guess because I don't have a vindictive nature, and I would never have done to Phil what Abby did to Neil. I'd just assume spend the rest of my life being a bitch to him and making him miserable that way. :lol:

I did like how cocky Neil was at the beginning and watching the progression of him being taken down a few pegs was great. But still, my heart went out to him. I thought the punishment didn't really fit the crime on Abby's end. On Tom's, I don't know. I guess it's the same, but for some reason I understand his point of view more than Abby's.

Seriously, though ... I don't understand how this got so badly overlooked. I can see why it went straight to video, though. It's definitely more of a made-for-TV-movie quality, but the performances were really good. I thought Gerry and Pierce were awesome. Maria overacted a bit, but that's ok. Once you get to the end you can kind of blame it on the circumstances.

I hope Gerry can look back on this film with pride. His agony came through loud and clear, and OMG the scene on the roof! My stomach was in knots, and I've seen this before.

I'm glad I watched it again, and if anyone hasn't seen I think you should rent it.

Lisa

Just finished watching it and I loved it!!! It's a must add to my Gerry Wish List! He was brilliant!!

Very beautiful siggy April.Lisa,Shattered/BOAW is one my secpnd favorite Gerry movie.He really gets to act act mind body and soul.That glint of sheer madman in his eyes when Peirce held up his daughter's drawing told me that he could play bad guy with the rest of them and then those fleeting moments joy,the agony and the defeat,the deflated ego this movie was too much.I kept saying all along she wasn't hysterical enough for me cause i would flipped on his arse pure and simple(both men) The absolute worst was Gerry on the roof and was jumping up and down pillow clutching and having a mini nervous breakdown.This is definitelly one of his best performances to date... Edited by dairyqueen

I re-thought something ... I have to put myself back in that place I was 8 years ago when this happened to me. Would I have wanted Phil to feel the pain, agony, desperation, etc. that I felt? Hell yes. So I can totally see how Neil deserved to feel those things, those feelings forced upon him by someone else's actions.

Tanya, also remember that Abby knew all along what was going on, so I think that had something to do with Maria not putting that Momma Bear thing in the role.

Yeah, this is definitely in my top 5 now I think. Gerry's performance was SUPERB.

BIG SPOILERS HERE!

Yes but toward the middle you could see she was changing her mind and that she almost wanted to back out...You could see that she still loved him and started to really feel like Hell for pushing him to these points....I think when he came out of the house and after all was said and done and he STILL kept the lies up is when she finally decided she was going to give it to him good and proper!! I thought this movie was one of his best performances and I would like to have seen it on the big screen....I've seen many movies that belonged more or less on TV...real sleepers but come on...this was no sleeper....It had me on the edge of my seat through most of it! IMO it should have hit the theaters... I may just watch it as a matter of fact...Nothing on TV anyway!

Good discussion BTW!

:wave: Frannie

I totally agree! I think Abby's (hey, Abby - just realized ... TUT) turning point was when Neil was on the roof. I really think she thought he might fall and that perhaps things had gone a bit too far (by the way, I thought G's performance on the roof was incredible). But for sure, when they were driving back and she asked for the truth and he once again saved his own arse - that was it. He was toast.

Definitely not a sleeper. There's just something not big screen about it. That's not to say I wouldn't have loved to have seen it in theaters. I would have! I would love for it to have made gobs of money, and for more people to see it than actually have even heard of it. It could just be because I've never seen it anywhere but on TV. I never thought about Timeline on the big screen, either. Funny that ...

I'm so gad I watched this. :)

Edited by phoenixgirl

Hi Lisa, this was on TV about 2-3 years ago. It was on TNT channel two consecutive Saturdays and 2 times each day. My friends and I watched it all 4 times. Truthfully, it took me the second time to realize how good this movie was. Like you said, the second time you notice all the nuances. I thought the part in the rain where he is crying was very good. Like you said, Abby's anger came back when he lied to her in the car.

Joanie

Hi Lisa, this was on TV about 2-3 years ago. It was on TNT channel two consecutive Saturdays and 2 times each day. My friends and I watched it all 4 times. Truthfully, it took me the second time to realize how good this movie was. Like you said, the second time you notice all the nuances. I thought the part in the rain where he is crying was very good. Like you said, Abby's anger came back when he lied to her in the car.

Joanie

It was 2 years ago because I had just discovered Gerry not too long before and DVR'd it. Shattered was like the third or fourth thing I had seen Gerry in.

I agree - when he walked out of the police station ... OMG I wanted to cry right along with him.

It was difficult to know where the line of sympathy was with Neil. On the one hand, as a mother I can only imagine the horror and desperation he felt. On the other, I knew the truth so part of me was like, "well, you deserve this." Then there's another aspect in that I was watching GERRY perform. So I really watched the character of Neil in many different aspects tonight.

Thanks for indulging me in my thought process.

Top notch performances all the way around! Going to all the places he took the other $#$# to! He didn't get it."Make sure You don't bring her back",giving up the credit card! What a trip! She hung in there with his lying butt,relocated and he still lied after all that drama! The rooftop scenario had a profound effect on her though,because he faced his biggest fear to save his family...I was scared to death,Even my daughter watched and said the movie was very good,we were jumping and screaming the entire time,definitely at the top of my Gerry favs.I think I'll pop it in now....